Preferred combinations:

Parker Green Kawhi Bonner Duncan
Parker Green Kawhi Bonner Splitter
Parker Manu Green Kawhi Duncan
Parker Manu Green Kawhi Splitter
Mills Manu Kawhi Bonner Splitter
Mills Manu Green Kawhi Splitter
Mills Manu Green Boris Splitter

9 man rotation of Parker, Mills, Manu, Green, Kawhi, Diaw, Duncan, Splitter, Bonner.

Cut Marco out of this series. We need a lot more playing time for Danny Green. Manu's extra 10-15 minutes can't be coming from Danny Green. It has to come from Marco.

Offensively, much more Manu - Splitter P&R with Bonner, Green, Kawhi, Mills to space. Play Duncan less minutes, but feed the post when he's in the game. Post Kawhi more. This is the best counter to the defensive switching strategies of the Mavs.

Defensively, the Parker / Duncan P&R defence combo has been killing us. We need Green / Splitter playing the P&R as much as possible. Green must guard Ellis / Calderon. Let gassed Parker guard Marion in the corner. If Marion thinks he can drop 40 on us posting Parker up, so be it. Don't help the post. Marion posting with Dirk and Dalembert in the game just hurts the Mavs spacing even more.

Malik Hairston
04-26-2014, 08:03 PM
Pretty much agree with all of that, tbh..Marion should get the Harrison Barnes treatment on defense, let him go at it..it might hurt rebounding, but it's worth a shot..I'd rather try Green vs. Ellis and Leonard vs. Marion first, though..

Spurs' post-ups have been great in this series, they need to go to it far more often, it's the Mavs' weakness on defense..

Green against Ellis seems obvious, but we'll see if Pop agrees..

04-26-2014, 08:05 PM
Parker on Marion is a disaster waiting to happen..

apalisoc_9
04-26-2014, 08:07 PM
More Leonard Post ups..7-8:lmao

More Green...

Gino-Step
04-26-2014, 08:07 PM

The one time he posted Parker, we were too quick to help, leading to a kick out 3. Just let the post up happen. The more shots Marion takes, the better.

timtonymanu
04-26-2014, 08:09 PM

It's better than Parker getting torched by any of the guards. You live with Marion getting hot.

apalisoc_9
04-26-2014, 08:10 PM
People forgot Parker on Barnes worked perfectly for the spurs last year..:lol

short term memory loss?

Gino-Step
04-26-2014, 08:10 PM
It's better than Parker getting torched by any of the guards. You live with Marion getting hot.

And it's better than Parker getting gassed running around all the pick & rolls. Marion can't dribble so there's no chance Parker will be picked. Only posted up which is far less running.

04-26-2014, 08:12 PM
The one time he posted Parker, we were too quick to help, leading to a kick out 3. Just let the post up happen. The more shots Marion takes, the better.
True, it could work if we don't double. I wonder if Pop is ballsy enough to go for it. Also Green got blown past by Ellis multiple times, so I'm not sure if he's our best bet. I think Kawhi can guard him, but Pop has to tell him to stop guarding him so close. he's long enough to contest and leave room to stop penetration. imo

TD 21
04-26-2014, 08:13 PM
I agree with the majority of this also. I'll just add that Mills and Bonner should be on short leashes. Give them a few first half minutes, see how they're playing, then re-evaluate their rotation spots. Given the lack of small ball they're playing, if they have to, they can go down to four perimeter players, with Parker and Leonard playing roughly 40 mpg, Ginobili 35 and Green the rest.

I'd definitely try Parker on Marion, hope that they become consumed with that match-up and lose their rhythm and flow offensively in the process. I generally don't like Leonard on small guards, but Calderon is one of the slowest PG's in the league and I could see Leonard's length bothering him.

ceperez
04-26-2014, 08:14 PM
Wake up call for Spurs.

They have got to have the balls to take this from the Mavs.

Green needs to be in the court longer and it does not matter if he never takes a shot. He spreads the floor and is likely the best defender against guards.

timtonymanu
04-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Green vs Ellis was the obvious adjustment. I don't why Pop doesn't see this too. It's not like Belinelli is shooting great out there too. Green needs to play. Unfortunately, I don't see Pop benching Belinelli like the OP suggests.

Gino-Step
04-26-2014, 08:37 PM
With Splitter playing so well, I don't know why we should be playing Duncan high 30's in minutes. This is going to sound crazy. But the first sub of the game should be Manu in at 7 minute mark for Duncan or Splitter. That leaves you with a lineup of Parker Manu Green Leonard Splitter/Duncan. Subbing Manu in for Green after 4 minutes is not the solution neither is starting Manu for Green.

The correct substitution pattern Pop should try:

Starting lineup:
Parker Green Kawhi Duncan Splitter

1Q 7 minute mark, Parker, Manu, Green, Kawhi, Duncan

1Q 4 minute mark, Mills, Manu, Kawhi, Bonner Splitter

1Q 1 minute mark, Mills, Manu, Green, Diaw, Splitter

2Q 10 minute mark, Parker, Green, Kawhi, Diaw, Duncan

2Q 7 minute mark, Parker, Manu, Green, Kawhi, Duncan

2Q 3 minute mark, Mills, Manu, Kawhi, Bonner, Splitter

Similar rotation in the 2nd half, but end the game with Parker, Manu, Green, Leonard, Duncan. (Since you must out of respect end the game with Duncan, Manu, Parker together)

Minutes breakdown:
PG: Parker 34, Mills 14
SG: Green 16, Manu 32
SF: Kawhi 30, Green 18
PF: Duncan 10, Kawhi 10, Diaw 18, Bonner 10
C: Splitter, 29, Duncan 19

Total minutes:
Kawhi 40
Parker 34
Green 34
Manu 32
Duncan 29
Splitter 29
------
Diaw 18
Mills 14
Bonner 10

Depending on how they are playing the bottom three guys could play less and Duncan and Splitter can bump their minutes up to ~32 to bring Diaw and Bonner down to 15 and 7. Parker can play 37 so Mills only plays 11.