PDA

View Full Version : I think we can all thank last years' finals game 6...

dallasmaverickslose
04-27-2014, 12:01 AM
For making this game 3 loss easier to swallow. Sure built a thick skin for us. Well, at least some of us I guess... Kinda puts things in perspective. But anyway, I sure hope we didn't peak too early with our win streak tbh...

Mikeanaro
04-27-2014, 12:04 AM
They should win it last year while they could and fall like a dead whale now, there is no positive thing losing both so Im not grateful at all.

TE
04-27-2014, 12:06 AM
I use the coping mechanisms of getting over game 6 for practically any and all sports.

Sean Cagney
04-27-2014, 12:06 AM
Last year was their year, blowing that was unreal..... This year it's blahhhhh okay well they lost on a last second shot what else is new. That made us all numb to this shit we are dealing with now no doubt, but it's not a positive now because losing is losing. I don't think they win this series now, nothing can tell me otherwise tonight TBH... Last year was their last shot though, period.
I use the coping mechanisms of getting over game 6 for practically any and all sports.

As a sports fan Game 6 will always be the pinnacle of a bad night, lets leave it at that.

AFBlue
04-27-2014, 12:13 AM
I think 6 had something to do with my lack of reaction, but it's also rooted in the fact that I just think the Spurs are better. It sucks to lose like that, but the Spurs can recover.

Ditty
04-27-2014, 12:14 AM
and make this board suicidal. I understand the frustration, but I believe this series is far from over. If it is the end it was a great run, and I believe everything on this board would be different if we were the defending champions.

Robz4000
04-27-2014, 12:16 AM
Yop, 6 made it easier to swallow. Just went numb and that was that.

Mikeanaro
04-27-2014, 12:18 AM
and make this board suicidal. I understand the frustration, but I believe this series is far from over. If it is the end it was a great run, and I believe everything on this board would be different if we were the defending champions.
It wasnt a great run, from 1st seed with a ¨Deep Elite Bench¨ to kissing Dallas ass in the first round and our DEB running scared like chickens avoiding dobermans, horrible way to end the Big 3 era.

dallasmaverickslose
04-27-2014, 12:18 AM

I don't understand how people on this board can meltdown after a game like this, when you consider what happened last season. What happened in game 3 really is nothing compared to game 6.

james evans
04-27-2014, 12:19 AM
I think 6 had something to do with my lack of reaction, but it's also rooted in the fact that I just think the Spurs are better. It sucks to lose like that, but the Spurs can recover.
exactly. when vince hit it, i wasn't even mad. i knew it was going in when he released it but i wasn't mad or sad. nothing can top game 6. this isn't bad. it's only game 3 but i jsut don't know why the greatest coach of all time can't defend the pick 'n' roll. they are doing it every play. that's what kills me. why is he letting them do what they want to do? we all know it's coming so he has to know it's coming and nothign is done about it

dallasmaverickslose
04-27-2014, 12:21 AM
exactly. when vince hit it, i wasn't even mad. i knew it was going in when he released it but i wasn't mad or sad. nothing can top game 6. this isn't bad. it's only game 3 but i jsut don't know why the greatest coach of all time can't defend the pick 'n' roll. they are doing it every play. that's what kills me. why is he letting them do what they want to do? we all know it's coming so he has to know it's coming and nothign is done about it

Not saying we couldn't have defended it better, but it wasn't like we game them a wide open gimme 3-pointer. It was kind of a lucky shot. We've had our moments like this before as well, let's be honest here.

TE
04-27-2014, 12:21 AM
It wasnt a great run, from 1st seed with a ¨Deep Elite Bench¨ to kissing Dallas ass in the first round and our DEB running scared like chickens avoiding dobermans, horrible way to end the Big 3 era.
timvp with the goods, tbh

Johnny RIngo
04-27-2014, 12:26 AM
The Finals against the Heat ruined TP forever. He hasn't been the same since. He was already a mentally fragile player before that but now he's a trainwreck. Mediocre regular season. Disappointing playoffs thus far with Calderon and Devin Harris outplaying him.

Sean Cagney
04-27-2014, 12:28 AM
Not saying we couldn't have defended it better, but it wasn't like we game them a wide open gimme 3-pointer. It was kind of a lucky shot. We've had our moments like this before as well, let's be honest here.

Those shots in our titles years would not fall, now they seem to fall. That is all there is to it. Manu game 1 last year GSW a lucky type fell and we won the game! this year that shot goes against us. I hope it is not the end of the playoffs for the Spurs but that shot falling could very well be the turning point of the season sadly.

dallasmaverickslose
04-27-2014, 12:29 AM
The Finals against the Heat ruined TP forever. He hasn't been the same since. He was already a mentally fragile player before that but now he's a trainwreck. Mediocre regular season. Disappointing playoffs thus far with Calderon and Devin Harris outplaying him.

I'm not trying to be THAT guy, but you have gotta be jealous of the Mavs having 2 legitimate solid PGs on the roster. I really really really wish TJ Ford hadn't had to retire.

dallasmaverickslose
04-27-2014, 12:31 AM
Those shots in our titles years would not fall, now they seem to fall. That is all there is to it. Manu game 1 last year GSW a lucky type fell and we won the game! this year that shot goes against us. I hope it is not the end of the playoffs for the Spurs but that shot falling could very well be the turning point of the season sadly.

I'm pretty sure we'll know a lot more about where this team of ours is headed after game 4.

Sean Cagney
04-27-2014, 12:34 AM
I'm pretty sure we'll know a lot more about where this team of ours is headed after game 4.

You are correct, go down 3-1 it is OVER in 6 IMO! If they win they can take it in 6 IMO.... I doubt this series goes 7 either way.

dallasmaverickslose
04-27-2014, 12:37 AM
You are correct, go down 3-1 it is OVER in 6 IMO! If they win they can take it in 6 IMO.... I doubt this series goes 7 either way.

I don't think I could handle 2 straight 7-game series, no matter which way this one goes. Just too emotionally draining.

Sean Cagney
04-27-2014, 12:43 AM
I don't think I could handle 2 straight 7-game series, no matter which way this one goes. Just too emotionally draining.

If it were us out in game 6 or us getting a game 7 I WOULD TAKE IT! IF THE SPURS could win it in game 6 though then I agree! I hope it does not go 7, would hope for SPURS in 6 but I doubt it right about now. I would take a win either way.

dallasmaverickslose
04-27-2014, 12:46 AM
If it were us out in game 6 or us getting a game 7 I WOULD TAKE IT! IF THE SPURS could win it in game 6 though then I agree! I hope it does not go 7, would hope for SPURS in 6 but I doubt it right about now. I would take a win either way.

I have a feeling there's some life left in these guys. I just doesn't make sense for them to go down like this. But whatever the case, somebody on our bench besides Manu is going to have to step it up and I mean really step it up.

dg7md
04-27-2014, 12:50 AM
Game 6 basically made us impervious to any sort of sports tragedy. :lol

Prime Time
04-27-2014, 12:54 AM
The buzzer beater didn't even affect me tbh, if anything I had to make my friend feel better after she seemed so down.

6 really did change my perspectives on Spurs basketball. I could deal with losing to the 6th seed Mavericks, being swept by the Suns, losing to the 8th seed Grizzlies, and being backdoor swept to OKC. But to choke the title away.. That was the final straw.

You older fans should be grateful for witnessing 4 championships in 8 seasons. I can't even imagine what it's like to win at least one.

Sean Cagney
04-27-2014, 01:25 AM
The buzzer beater didn't even affect me tbh, if anything I had to make my friend feel better after she seemed so down.

6 really did change my perspectives on Spurs basketball. I could deal with losing to the 6th seed Mavericks, being swept by the Suns, losing to the 8th seed Grizzlies, and being backdoor swept to OKC. But to choke the title away.. That was the final straw.

You older fans should be grateful for witnessing 4 championships in 8 seasons. I can't even imagine what it's like to win at least one.I saw all the titles but the years since 08 have been total heartbreak and a failure! I can't imagine now seeing one title as a fan and seeing those years! WOW! This year will add on to that failure as well, 62 wins to losing to and 8th seed, just to add to the embarassment. Tims earlier years success and countless titles, the later years that game 6 and the others you mention plus this year, damn the Spurs after 07 man :(

I still love this team though, thankful for the years and the title runs.

BTW ONE? That was 7 years ago man, you are not a little older than that as a fan? GOOD GOD that was 7 years ago since I said it :wow:bang

slick'81
04-27-2014, 01:30 AM
No doubt it doesn't seem to sting quite as much as game 6 for the gold but a loss is a loss and it still hurts

HI-FI
04-27-2014, 01:34 AM
I don't know, I was pretty pissed off after this loss today. The numbness from 6 came back like a mofo.

Plus been having chest pains all day, real talk. I might have to give this shit up. That or just blaze up every damn game. Drink wine or something.

Prime Time
04-27-2014, 01:37 AM
BTW ONE? That was 7 years ago man, you are not a little older than that as a fan? GOOD GOD that was 7 years ago since I said it :wow:bang
Apparently not :lol I was born in what, '96? I didn't become a fan until I was about 12, so 2008. (Perfect timing, am I right?)

I remember the first playoff game I ever saw was the one we had against the Suns where Duncan hit a three in OT, good times. Manu's potential game-winning shot yesterday actually looked just like the one he had that same game :wow

slick'81
04-27-2014, 01:38 AM
I don't know, I was pretty pissed off after this loss today. The numbness from 6 came back like a mofo.

Plus been having chest pains all day, real talk. I might have to give this shit up. That or just blaze up every damn game. Drink wine or something.

I had been watching every minute of every spurs game since like 94'95 I'm 33 now it does get to you lol

Mugen
04-27-2014, 01:42 AM
:lol Spurs have been around so long that this one isn't even on my list of top 10 depressing games of the Duncan era. Maybe if they get knocked out and Tim retires after this one.

Not sure if that's a good or bad thing tbh...

Sean Cagney
04-27-2014, 01:49 AM
Apparently not :lol I was born in what, '96? I didn't become a fan until I was about 12, so 2008. (Perfect timing, am I right?)

I remember the first playoff game I ever saw was the one we had against the Suns where Duncan hit a three in OT, good times. Manu's potential game-winning shot yesterday actually looked just like the one he had that same game :wow

I am 35 so I saw all of our titles, I also saw Hakeem in 95 dominate the Spurs and countless losses to UTAH back then! I can relate to losses before the titles, believe me! I was a 78 Baby so I saw many of losses from the Spurs once I became a fan.

HI-FI
04-27-2014, 01:51 AM
I had been watching every minute of every spurs game since like 94'95 I'm 33 now it does get to you lol
similar age as you, I haven't watched as hardcore as you but have been there for most of the heartbreaks. I think in the past we knew Duncan would be back with a vengeance, but seeing others not step up in his old age has really brought the anger in me. nonetheless, might as well enjoy this journey as this season could be it.

:lol Spurs have been around so long that this one isn't even on my list of top 10 depressing games of the Duncan era. Maybe if they get knocked out and Tim retires after this one.

Not sure if that's a good or bad thing tbh...
agreed. i've said this before, still believe it, but I think most of the desperation is wanting to see Duncan go out like a champ. Obviously 6 was like a jizz covered shotgun shell to the face. I still think they aren't going to go out like this, though I never believe in Parker, but I know Duncan won't go out like this. still, whenever Spurs are rebuilt and reborn, it will be nice to not worry about the end of the road so damn much.

Mugen
04-27-2014, 02:05 AM
Duncan's legacy is set regardless of how his career ends tbh. If anything, Pop/Manu/TP choking away his other rings will just prop up his legacy in retrospect.

The only "legend" to go out on top was Russell playing against a bunch of 6'5 white guys. Even D-Rob was a role player when he went out....

daslicer
04-27-2014, 02:10 AM

Your a little bit older then me but for me what helps me cope is having had a few near death experiences in my young adult life where I dodged death just by inches. Its the reason why I have a zen like approach to these type of loses. Those experiences keep things in perspective that not even having another game 6 moment can phase me.

mudyez
04-27-2014, 02:43 AM
True, after game 6 this feels like a cake walk, but actually I don't want to become a Cleveland sports fan, that felt so much torture, that he doesn't feel any pain anymore.

hommeaetage
04-27-2014, 03:08 AM
I'm not trying to be THAT guy, but you have gotta be jealous of the Mavs having 2 legitimate solid PGs on the roster. I really really really wish TJ Ford hadn't had to retire.

Finally! i've had some heated discussion with some fellow spurs fan about how we lost the finals last year because of lack of backup PG. They keep telling me about missed fts; I kept telling them had we had a real backup PG we would've won the series. TJ Ford, for the limited time he played for us was perfect backup. I

dg7md
04-27-2014, 03:18 AM
True, after game 6 this feels like a cake walk, but actually I don't want to become a Cleveland sports fan, that felt so much torture, that he doesn't feel any pain anymore.

Except, the big difference here is, Cleveland fans have nothing to fall back on like we do. :lol

hater
04-27-2014, 03:35 AM
For making this game 3 loss easier to swallow. Sure built a thick skin for us. Well, at least some of us I guess... Kinda puts things in perspective. But anyway, I sure hope we didn't peak too early with our win streak tbh...
Cosign. Even if we get sidedoor swept it will be nothing compared to last year.

Nothing that can happen this year will be worse than game 6 last year :tu :)

hater
04-27-2014, 03:37 AM
True, after game 6 this feels like a cake walk.

:tu x 100000000000

This aint shit. Last year was the most grueling loss in sports history. This is nothing but a pinch

heyheymymy
04-27-2014, 03:48 AM
i agree that as fans we have the benefit of thicker skin after game 6 last summer. but i kinda thought that would translate to the spurs players a bit more if the form of a sense of urgency, focus, and execution this post season.

someone flip the switch already, cmon.

Skull-1
04-27-2014, 10:20 AM
Last year was their year, blowing that was unreal..... This year it's blahhhhh okay well they lost on a last second shot what else is new. That made us all numb to this shit we are dealing with now no doubt, but it's not a positive now because losing is losing. I don't think they win this series now, nothing can tell me otherwise tonight TBH... Last year was their last shot though, period.

As a sports fan Game 6 will always be the pinnacle of a bad night, lets leave it at that.

You don't come back from a nutpunch like Game Six, as Game Seven showed. Been saying all year we would be lucky to get out of the second round.

Harbingers of doom include Coach of the Year, Number One Seed, Positive Media Attention, and scoring so many points early. We did that against the Flakers for years. They always roared back to kill us.

rascal
04-27-2014, 10:27 AM

Agree. It won't go 7. I still have to give the edge to the spurs in this series.

Skull-1
04-27-2014, 10:28 AM
Speaking of switch flipping,... "Turn out the lights, the party's over."

rascal
04-27-2014, 10:29 AM

This aint shit. Last year was the most grueling loss in sports history. This is nothing but a pinch

Nope. The Bill Buckner error was worse. The spurs already have titles, that Boston team had years of losing and frustration.

Skull-1
04-27-2014, 11:30 AM
Nope. The Bill Buckner error was worse. The spurs already have titles, that Boston team had years of losing and frustration.

Bill got scapegoated, tbqh, fwiw, IMHO, ymmv.

Sean Cagney
04-27-2014, 11:37 AM
You don't come back from a nutpunch like Game Six, as Game Seven showed. Been saying all year we would be lucky to get out of the second round.

Harbingers of doom include Coach of the Year, Number One Seed, Positive Media Attention, and scoring so many points early. We did that against the Flakers for years. They always roared back to kill us.
I agree! I think if we manage to squeak by the first round this year (BIG IF right now) then in round two the Spurs are toast, nothing will convince me this team is winning a title and I am just being real. I think the Spurs might win monday and make it a series again, thats not that far fetched. I do not see this team beating Portland right now and if they somehow by a GIFT OF GOD made it past them then OKC or LAC? Forget it. This team played pretty bad against top teams all year and it shows. Charles said you play 5 bad teams in a row and then good one in this watered down NBA, the only way the Spurs racked up that many wins IMO. They were good but never great, no team out there is GREAT IMO, not even close.

This NBA is so watered down man, the Spurs title teams of the 00's would have a field day in this league right now to say the least, they would smash this current team 4-1 or 4-2 even.
Bill got scapegoated, tbqh, fwiw, IMHO, ymmv.
I agree on this. Pitching was atrocious.

Capt Bringdown
04-27-2014, 11:37 AM
i agree that as fans we have the benefit of thicker skin after game 6 last summer. but i kinda thought that would translate to the spurs players a bit more if the form of a sense of urgency, focus, and execution this post season.

What can the Spurs do? Dallas is strategically imposing their will on the Spurs.
What is the Spurs strategy, other than hope our scrubs will return to regular season form? What button (especially on defense) can we push at this point?

When your playoff ambitions rely on soft players, heartbreak is guaranteed.

Skull-1
04-27-2014, 11:44 AM
I agree! I think if we manage to squeak by the first round this year (BIG IF right now) then in round two the Spurs are toast, nothing will convince me this team is winning a title and I am just being real.

(Munch)

This NBA is so watered down man, the Spurs title teams of the 00's would have a field day in this league right now to say the least, they would smash this current team 4-1 or 4-2 even.

Boom.

superjames1992
04-27-2014, 11:55 AM

2007 was kind of a lame title. The LeBron CavaLOLs rolled over and took it like a dog. I was spoiled by titles then and it just didn't stack up when compared to the epic Detroit Finals series in 2005, tbh... If we would have beaten the Heat last year, it would have been about as epic as the Detroit series, though, IMHO.

Sean Cagney
04-27-2014, 12:10 PM
2007 was kind of a lame title. The LeBron CavaLOLs rolled over and took it like a dog. I was spoiled by titles then and it just didn't stack up when compared to the epic Detroit Finals series in 2005, tbh... If we would have beaten the Heat last year, it would have been about as epic as the Detroit series, though, IMHO.

2005 RUN was great!!!!! I agree on the 07 one too. I took it and smiled as a fan but those finals were by far the least memorable. We were so spoiled then.

dallasmaverickslose
04-27-2014, 12:42 PM
2005 RUN was great!!!!! I agree on the 07 one too. I took it and smiled as a fan but those finals were by far the least memorable. We were so spoiled then.

Everyone knows the series vs the Suns was the real finals that year, tbh.

Pretty damn epic series, one of my all time favorites as a Spurs fan. It was 6 games, but it felt more like a down to the wire 7 game series tbh.

hommeaetage
04-27-2014, 12:45 PM
AS a sports fan not originally from this country, I became a fan of different sports team in the mid 90s to early 2000s...I can say the last 6 years has been grueling for me that it doesn't even affect me anymore when they lose. from watching The Pats losing 2 SB in the last seconds, AC Milan being shitty with Berlusconi losing his mind to the several deception of the Spurs (game 6 being the biggest), I think I've become immune to heartbreak :lol

dallasmaverickslose
04-27-2014, 04:04 PM
:depressed

BackHome
04-27-2014, 04:14 PM
I still think we will win if everyone comes to play but our starters need to carry the weight they can't count on bench players to win. They are getting paid millions of dollars so suck it up and play hard and play like someone just talked about your Mama..

dallasmaverickslose
04-27-2014, 08:28 PM
Duncan's legacy is set regardless of how his career ends tbh. If anything, Pop/Manu/TP choking away his other rings will just prop up his legacy in retrospect.

The only "legend" to go out on top was Russell playing against a bunch of 6'5 white guys. Even D-Rob was a role player when he went out....

I agree, it's pretty stupid for anyone to think Duncan's legacy is still vulnerable at this stage in his career.

Sean Cagney
04-28-2014, 12:08 AM
Everyone knows the series vs the Suns was the real finals that year, tbh.

Pretty damn epic series, one of my all time favorites as a Spurs fan. It was 6 games, but it felt more like a down to the wire 7 game series tbh.

That series was awesome. My fave all time Spurs series is LA in 03 though, then the 05 Pistons series, those two rank #1 and #2 to me! Defending champs, both of them and we knocked them out! They were not easy by any means.

Sean Cagney
04-28-2014, 12:09 AM
I agree, it's pretty stupid for anyone to think Duncan's legacy is still vulnerable at this stage in his career.

It's not lol, he is already a top 15 or 10 player of all times and has his legacy set, anyone who plays this good at his age is a flat out LEGEND! PERIOD.

TampaDude
04-28-2014, 11:14 AM

It's HARD to win a championship, let alone 4 (or 5) of them. Remember how lucky we are to be fans of the best organization in professional sports over the last 16 years.

GO SPURS GO!!!!!

Sean Cagney
04-28-2014, 11:36 AM
It's HARD to win a championship, let alone 4 (or 5) of them. Remember how lucky we are to be fans of the best organization in professional sports over the last 16 years.

GO SPURS GO!!!!!

We have had some shots go our way too in our runs! Even last year Ginobilis three to sink GS in that game one, either the shot goes your way on the way to a big run or it does not. I hope Vinces was just a shot that fell and the Spurs can go on a run! Either or I agree with you fully, if it were easy to win a title so many would have rings, yet so many players retire or are still out there without a single ring! Some HOF players too. It is not easy.

GO SPURS GO.

This aint shit. Last year was the most grueling loss in sports history. This is nothing but a pinchFor us fans it was, I am sure other teams fans have a grueling LOSS comparable and some of the teams ended up without a single ring. I agree though, this is a pinch compared to that! .4 is ten times worse than the last game, that was not even close to .4 even.

therealtruth
04-28-2014, 06:35 PM
The Mavs are doing the Spurs a favor if the Spurs get past them. The way they're playing now, the Trailblazers will sweep them.

spurs10
04-28-2014, 08:16 PM
The Mavs are doing the Spurs a favor if the Spurs get past them. The way they're playing now, the Trailblazers will sweep them. Unless Tony is injured I think you are very wrong. I don't think anyone is going to be sweeping the Spurs.