PDA

View Full Version : Podcasts

Spurminator
08-09-2005, 11:07 AM
Anyone using these on iTunes yet?

Any recommendations?

I've been listening to a satire stream called "Talk News America" (TnA).

MannyIsGod
08-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Anyone using these on iTunes yet?

Any recommendations?

I've been listening to a satire stream called "Talk News America" (TnA).
Explain to me what they are. I'm assuming they are entire shows that you can download to your Ipod and listen to at a later time?

Spurminator
08-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Right. They are shows that you can "subscribe" to on iTunes, and anytime there is an update (say, weekly), it will automatically update on your computer. You can upload these onto your iPod or simply listen on your computer.

Pretty cool idea, and it looks like anyone can start a Podcast of their own if they want.

Duff McCartney
08-09-2005, 12:41 PM
I'll have to try it out once I get one soon.

PM5K
08-09-2005, 12:42 PM
It is a cool idea but I haven't seen Podcasts that interest me just yet....

Kori Ellis
08-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Pretty cool idea, and it looks like anyone can start a Podcast of their own if they want.

A while ago we (WOAI) were talking about possibly Podcasting a weekly Spurs/NBA show. Maybe I'll get back on top of that and do it this season.

Spurminator
08-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Looks like some people at ProjectSpurs.com are working on a Spurs Podcast, but it's a dead link right now.

ChumpDumper
08-09-2005, 02:24 PM
I'll probably podcast some shows I like from KCRW I liked when I was in California to begin with once the cable is hooked up in my new place and I'm not stealing bandwidth from the neighbors.

maxpower
08-09-2005, 06:37 PM
New to podcasting?
http://theticket.com/podcast.asp

found this explanation.

BTW ..hate when fancy schmancy technobabble is assigned to things that already have a name. You record a tv show..you don't tivo it. The online radio station sends you a file of their program for you to listen how you wish....[/meaningless observation]

Kori Ellis
08-09-2005, 06:46 PM
hate when fancy schmancy technobabble is assigned to things that already have a name.

What was the name for this before Podcasting?

maxpower
08-09-2005, 07:03 PM
It's not a totally new concept. It's someone emailing someone else a file.

Kori Ellis
08-09-2005, 07:04 PM
It's not a totally new concept. It's someone emailing someone else a file.

But radio stations didn't have the files of the shows available before to give to people - that's the novelty of it, right?

ChumpDumper
08-09-2005, 07:05 PM
So what other two-syllable word would better describe it?

Spurminator
08-09-2005, 07:07 PM
It was a pretty genius move for Apple to assign a name to it that includes the name of one of their products... Assuming Apple coined the term, of course.

I could really see this medium taking off in the near future. Especially when they become video.

maxpower
08-09-2005, 07:09 PM
But radio stations didn't have the files of the shows available before to give to people - that's the novelty of it, right?

From what I've heard of hosts, lamenting the old days ...it is that everything is digital. They have had the capability...most everything you download can be sent to someone automatically. If a website puts up files on a regular basis...they could always email to someone on a schedule.

maxpower
08-09-2005, 07:10 PM
So what other two-syllable word would better describe it?
Does it need one?

How about ..."they emailed me their monday program"

Kori Ellis
08-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Does it need one?

How about ..."they emailed me their monday program"

Yeah it does.

So let's say you wanted to start your own "Podcast" tomorrow called Duff and Friends. How would you talk about it? Say .. "Hey, do you want to sign up so that we can email you the Monday episode of Duff and Friends?" or "Do you want the Podcast of Duff and Friends?"

:lol

maxpower
08-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Yeah it does.

So let's say you wanted to start your own "Podcast" tomorrow called Duff and Friends. How would you talk about it? Say .. "Hey, do you want to sign up so that we can email you the Monday episode of Duff and Friends?" or "Do you want the Podcast of Duff and Friends?"

:lol

neither...(sounds like a fairy tale) but in any case it's in the lexicon...like tivo has become a verb...but that is what I mean...it's another word for something that already has a word.
tivo, record, tivo, record, tivo, record.... :hat

MannyIsGod
08-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Well considering it involves the specific moving of a media file of a show/event to an Ipod, I can see why they came up with a term.

mad0214
08-12-2005, 08:22 AM
Looks like some people at ProjectSpurs.com are working on a Spurs Podcast, but it's a dead link right now.

The Project Spurs podcast is located at http://spurscast.projectspurs.com
or
http://www.projectspurs.com/podcast (http://www.pojectspurs.com/podcast)

The rss feed for subscribing to it is located at:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/spurscast

or you can do a search for Spurscast within the iTunes Music Store in the Podcasts section.

We are actually looking for more people to join our podcasts and more opinions, so if you are interested, email me at [email protected].

Spurminator
08-12-2005, 08:37 AM
Your Podcast isn't working for me when I try to listen through iTunes.

Kori Ellis
08-12-2005, 01:01 PM
I hope the first link wasnt Kori cuz there two girls are AWEFUL. OMG they suck. Fuckin Alvarez could do better and he is like 15

I don't work for that site.

Spurminator
08-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Get a mic and record something.

Kori Ellis
08-12-2005, 01:17 PM
who are they? the ones talking about game 5 and Duncan. i could do much better. they are awwwwwwwwwful

First of all it's a guy and a girl, not two girls (if it's the same one I heard). And their names are on it .. Michael DeLeon and Melissa Martinez.

Ginofan
08-12-2005, 01:20 PM
I haven't heard the podcast yet, but I know those two people....they hard workers and shouldn't bashed like that, GiG. If you think you can do better than put out your own podcast on the Spurs.

mad0214
08-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the support and kind words mandy. And if you guys think Mel and I suck, please join us and help us do it better. All we wanted to do was to put out a podcast talking about the Spurs. I had been playing around with it as an experiment and Melissa and I tried it through Skype for the first time. We are not radio personalities with perfect voices (obviously) but we are Spurs fans, and I think we put together a pretty good site about the Spurs, so we decided to try it out and put it online in case any Spurs fans wanted to hear our opinions, and even voice in with their own. Again, we may suck, but we're new at it, and we are the first Spurs podcast. Join us or get a 10 dollar mic, audacity, some server space, and dedicate some time to making your own. I'll listen to it. Regardless, we will continue to record our podcast, and I'm sure we'll improve as we transition from writing about the Spurs and our opinions to recording them.

mad0214
08-12-2005, 11:20 PM
BTW, some sports podcasts I would reccomend are SWISH with Lance Williams (MySportsRadio.com), Sports Bloggers Live (http://sports.channel.aol.com/bloggerslive), and Basketball Babble (MySportsRadio.com).

Spurminator
09-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Recommended Podcast: Coverville (http://www.coverville.com/)

A 30-45 semi-daily podcast of various covers and commentary by Brian Ibbott. Artists are typically alternative, but it's still an eclectic mix. There's usually a theme too... for example, on 9/1 he put together a show of all-a capella covers.

The website gives song lists for each podcast, including original artists.

samikeyp
09-26-2005, 12:03 PM
I haven't heard the podcast yet, but I know those two people....they hard workers and shouldn't bashed like that, GiG. If you think you can do better than put out your own podcast on the Spurs.

Well said. Don't know Michael Deleon but I do know Melissa Martinez and know that they both have busted their asses putting together a good site. Well done, folks.

I have been thinking about doing my own as well. need to start blogging again too.

leemajors
05-17-2013, 08:37 PM
Besides MannyIsGod 's first post in this thread, which is awesome, I wholeheartedly recommend Hardcore History by Dan Carlin, especially the Wrath of the Khans ones about Genghis Khan and his successors:

http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php?page=hharchive

I listen to mainly comedy podcasts, but this was just great stuff.

CuckingFunt
05-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Girl on Guy, How Did This Get Made?, The Indoor Kids, Firewall & Iceberg, Mark Kermode & Simon Mayo's Film Reviews, Doug Loves Movies, Savage Lovecast, This American Life, and The Nerdist are the ones I subscribe to. I don't have enough time to keep up with them all, though, so I'm waaaaaaaay behind in the last three. They're all great.

Spurminator
05-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Holy shit I haven't listened to a podcast since probably less than a year after I started this thread.

leemajors
05-18-2013, 04:59 PM
Holy shit I haven't listened to a podcast since probably less than a year after I started this thread.

I listen to comedy podcasts all the time - work flies by listening to them. Your Mom's House, Fitzdog Radio, Punch Drunk Sports, Skeptic Tank, Monday Morning Podcast, Joe Rogan Experience, Christopher Titus Podcast, Duncan Trussell Family Hour, DVDASA with David Choe and Asa Akira are some of my favorites.

Girasuck
05-18-2013, 09:31 PM
Honestly, nothing comes close to being as funny as the old After Hours podcast with Heidi and Frank. Many times I've literally started crying from laughing so hard.

MannyIsGod
05-20-2013, 05:38 PM
LOL! Good bump.

I listen to Nerdist, the IGN movies podcast, and This American Life on a fairly regular basis. TAL is the one that I really always listen to. When I have time I listen to the Indoor Kids, MLS Extratime, The Best Soccer Show, and Weatherbrains.

shyne
05-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Stone Cold Steve Austin has a podcast show its pretty fucking funny.

IronMaxipad
05-20-2013, 06:03 PM
WTF w/ Marc Maron
Nerdist
Radiolab
This American Life
Tell 'em Steve-Dave!
How did this get made?
Comedy Bang Bang
Skeptoid
Skeptics Guide to the Universe