PDA

View Full Version : Social Commentary Thread: David Sterling. WE MUST DISCUSS

Embedded
04-27-2014, 06:09 PM
(Donald Sterling - MY BAD)
I am somewhat surprised that we've had 40 comments on the Spurs' Game 4 adjustments in 3 hours, I would have thought a social forum would have more social commentary. Of course, this is unprecedented. This must be a catalyst for change. I think Sterling has been tolerated for way too long. The expanded audio of his comments is even more sickening, he thinks he is giving his black people cars, houses, food... He seems demented to me. I know he will sue, but does anybody know if the NBA bylaws allow other owners to flt force an owner out that is deemed unfit? I cant believe I'm saying this, but I look forward to Mark Cuban's comments on this. I wonder if the atmosphere at Staples Center is going to be so bad that it disrupts the game. Should it? If all people of color, and all people who support people of color simply and peacefully went onto the court and sat and refused to leave, it would be one hell of a statement, and I think it would force Sterling out, and FAST. Despite Doc Rivers' and Chris Paul's protest otherwise, is this bigger than the game? Can the Clippers even win a title with this distraction? Would Muhummad Ali play? Jalen Rose made it clear today he wouldn't. I think maybe the truth about whether or not Sterling made those comments on audio is causing a delay, but if indeed it is proven (or he admits it) what happens then?

davidbowie
04-27-2014, 06:11 PM
TRUST NO BITCH

EVAY
04-27-2014, 06:16 PM
I think the players ought to show up for the game at Staples and then ask the fans why they are paying for tickets to line this guy's pockets.

The comments that were reported today were far worse, imo, than the original ones. If the guy actually believes that he is not engaged in an economic arrangement with the team players by which he exchanges currency for their talent level on the basketball court, and actually believes that he "gives them food, gives them clothes, gives them cars and gives them houses" then he should be shouted down by every damn fan of every team in the nba.

I don't know if the nba can do anything, because I don't know if this is a First amendment (free speech) issue. But I imagine that the fear of a suit by Sterling is one of the reasons that the nba is trying to be super-careful about whatever it is they try to do.

RD2191
04-27-2014, 06:19 PM
As a German French Spanish African I have no comment.

itzsoweezee
04-27-2014, 06:21 PM
I don't know if the nba can do anything, because I don't know if this is a First amendment (free speech) issue. But I imagine that the fear of a suit by Sterling is one of the reasons that the nba is trying to be super-careful about whatever it is they try to do.

The league definitely can do something. They're not worried about a lawsuit, the owners are worried about setting a precedent where they can be held accountable to the players.

dallasmaverickslose
04-27-2014, 06:22 PM
I propose that Silver step in and have the rest of the games for this series played in Oakland.

ElNono
04-27-2014, 06:25 PM
He has black friends. Not racist.

spurspokesman
04-27-2014, 06:42 PM
As a black man I wouldn't go anywhere near that arena. If I was a player I wouldn't show up, plain and simple.

Malik Hairston
04-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Donald Sterling has been known to be a racist for a long time, tbh:lol..

All the Clippers players and coaches that chose to join the organization already knew what they were signing up for when they joined the team..Doc Rivers knew where he was going when he quit on the Celtics..Chris Paul and Blake Griffin are committed to being Clippers for a long time, they both already knew Sterling's reputation..

Realistically, none of them truly care, as long as they're getting their million dollar checks, but now they have to make it appear like they actually give a shit:lol..

HI-FI
04-27-2014, 06:55 PM
As a German French Spanish African I have no comment.
translation:
http://www.eatcooklive.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/man-wearing-a-mexican-hat.jpg

Beaverfuzz
04-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Fuck Donald Sterling. End of discussion.

Next post

RD2191
04-27-2014, 07:03 PM
translation:
http://www.eatcooklive.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/man-wearing-a-mexican-hat.jpg

:fro:sombrero:

SupremeGuy
04-27-2014, 07:15 PM
In the grand scheme of things, I think people are crying a little too much. In the last few months, we've had athletes literally punch out their fucking wife in an elevator and another one claim he had a bomb at an airport. If you want to get mad at people in sports, THAT'S the stuff that should annoy you. Just my 2 cents.

lol @ people still holding white people to such high standards and black people to such low standards, tbh, that's the real racism here

Malik Hairston
04-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Every player on the Clippers roster is an Uncle Tom, tbh, especially Doc Rivers, Chris Paul and Danny Granger..

These players chose to sign with a proven racist so they can make millions of dollars, and now they're pretending to be outraged because of a tape that revealed something they already knew:lol..

I fucking hate the Clippers, tbh(minus CN:lol)..

Trainwreck2100
04-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Omg an 80 year old white rich guy is a racist, stop the fucking presses

ElNono
04-27-2014, 07:32 PM
What does TIME think about this??!?!

lrrr
04-27-2014, 07:56 PM
If I found out MY boss was a flaming racist and it made my employment unbearable, I would find another job, then quit, then give him a piece of my mind. If I knew a prospective employer was a racist, I would not work for them. If he was racist but the workplace was still run in a professional manner and there was no overt discrimination, I would deal with it and do my job. After all, everyone's entitled to an opinion in a free country right?

It's a little hypocritical to take money from someone (especially if it's millions of dollars!) while protesting their stance on race . IMO.

01Snake
04-27-2014, 08:09 PM
(Donald Sterling - MY BAD)
I am somewhat surprised that we've had 40 comments on the Spurs' Game 4 adjustments in 3 hours, I would have thought a social forum would have more social commentary. Of course, this is unprecedented. This must be a catalyst for change. I think Sterling has been tolerated for way too long. The expanded audio of his comments is even more sickening, he thinks he is giving his black people cars, houses, food... He seems demented to me. I know he will sue, but does anybody know if the NBA bylaws allow other owners to flt force an owner out that is deemed unfit? I cant believe I'm saying this, but I look forward to Mark Cuban's comments on this. I wonder if the atmosphere at Staples Center is going to be so bad that it disrupts the game. Should it? If all people of color, and all people who support people of color simply and peacefully went onto the court and sat and refused to leave, it would be one hell of a statement, and I think it would force Sterling out, and FAST. Despite Doc Rivers' and Chris Paul's protest otherwise, is this bigger than the game? Can the Clippers even win a title with this distraction? Would Muhummad Ali play? Jalen Rose made it clear today he wouldn't. I think maybe the truth about whether or not Sterling made those comments on audio is causing a delay, but if indeed it is proven (or he admits it) what happens then?

Get a grip, tbh.

Embedded
04-27-2014, 08:27 PM
What does TIME think about this??!?! LMAO @ ElNono.

Embedded
04-27-2014, 08:32 PM
I know we've all heard for a long time that Sterling was a racist, but you know, with EVERYTHING else equal, I would probably give a job to a black man over a white man, just because, you know? It seems logical in nature to have a little bias to your own. However, that doesn't imply hate. But the comments Sterling made - that is hate. I can understand racial bias - that is only natural. But to not want black people coming to his arena? Are you kidding me? And to state that he's GIVING cars, food, houses to his negroes - not that they're EARNING it, but that he's GIVING it to them - I didn't know THAT was the type of racism people were talking about with Sterling. How the hell does he even want to be an NBA owner? There are other, less...uh...ethnic things that he can be involved with.

Embedded
04-27-2014, 08:37 PM
Sterling can't be an owner anymore. If he comes to a game, somebody is probably going to clock him in the head with a Duracell AA battery. Which would be a waste of a battery, energy is a terrible thing to waste.

cd98
04-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Kind of hard to formulate an opinion until we get all the facts and not the initial report from a tabloid. Not saying the guy is clean as he obviously has a history of saying racist things according to some reports I've read. But there is a lot going on in this story and I think all the facts must come out before reaching a conclusion on a punishment.

cd98
04-27-2014, 09:00 PM
One thing for sure in this age of smart phones you must guard what you say at all times. That said, those comments probably aren't stream of conscious remarks. Most non racists don't talk that way.

Embedded
04-27-2014, 09:00 PM
Kind of hard to formulate an opinion until we get all the facts and not the initial report from a tabloid. Not saying the guy is clean as he obviously has a history of saying racist things according to some reports I've read. But there is a lot going on in this story and I think all the facts must come out before reaching a conclusion on a punishment.
I hear you, c98, and that was my initial reaction, but once I heard both the original comments and then the expanded comments I find practically impossible to find ANY context under which those statements would be remotely acceptable. And Sterling has NOT initiate a press conference in which he denies that it is his voice.

Kidd K
04-27-2014, 09:01 PM
Sterling can't be an owner anymore. If he comes to a game, somebody is probably going to clock him in the head with a Duracell AA battery. Which would be a waste of a battery, energy is a terrible thing to waste.

Philadelphia style? :lmao They used to throw batteries at players back in the day

KaiRMD1
04-27-2014, 09:46 PM
I'm amazed this is being discussed now. Sterling has always been known as a racist owner but nobody took any action. It took a bitch who is extorting him to bring attention to him. I don't see anything happening to Sterling except for the story to blow over, which I'm the NBA is hoping for. I hope I am wrong though

russellgoat
04-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Fuck you. sterling owner4eva

Trainwreck2100
04-27-2014, 10:35 PM
I'm amazed this is being discussed now. Sterling has always been known as a racist owner but nobody took any action. It took a bitch who is extorting him to bring attention to him. I don't see anything happening to Sterling except for the story to blow over, which I'm the NBA is hoping for. I hope I am wrong though

I doubt it blows over, he brought the Jews into it

SupremeGuy
04-27-2014, 10:40 PM
Another part that's pretty fucking dumb is that his girlfriend is half black and shit, and everyone is just pretending like she wasn't trying to extort money from him. The whole situation is a clusterfuck, tbh.

wildchild
04-28-2014, 04:51 AM
It doesn't matter if he's a racist dinosaur like other old men or if his players/coach tolerate his racist behavior sometimes...If the CEO of your company said something like this at the company Christmas party you would just laugh it off? I don't know if his contract with the league allows them to take team ownership away from him, but I hope the NBA may force him to sell the team.

Tim_5rings
04-28-2014, 06:12 AM
Fuck Donald Sterling. End of discussion.

Next post

nothing more to say

hsxvvd
04-28-2014, 06:42 AM
True or not, this gives the NBA the best chance to remove an owner the entire league has hated for a long time.

On the Spurs front, it should create less competition for free agents, as I can't imagine even the current players would want to stay now.

Maybe Utah will face some stiff competition for white players though.

Strategic
04-28-2014, 06:50 AM
No surprise here. Am I free to watch Black Entertainment Television even though I am not a N, sorry I meant a black person? If you're really interested in changing the world then get a degree, mow your lawn and leave my hub caps alone! Donald Sterling opens his mouth and tells HIS truth and you can't handle it. Move to Canada. I hear it's really nice there this time of year. If you want to change the world you're gonna have to wait until someone makes a product that can read a person's mind. When that happens you might find that this bitch has more problems than the rich white man she framed.

cd021
04-28-2014, 07:40 AM
In the grand scheme of things, I think people are crying a little too much. In the last few months, we've had athletes literally punch out their fucking wife in an elevator and another one claim he had a bomb at an airport. If you want to get mad at people in sports, THAT'S the stuff that should annoy you. Just my 2 cents.

lol @ people still holding white people to such high standards and black people to such low standards, tbh, that's the real racism here

When a white owner says he doesn't want blacks to come to his games yet has his 4 best players are black along with the head coach and most the league for that matter its a pretty big deal.

The real racism? its not like black athletes get a pass for the stuff they do. Sherman trash talked on national tv and people word hammering on twitter with racial slurs same with Lebron changing teams. Rice got indicted and it was all over tv. Vick actually went to prison so did Plaxico. if anything, blacks have it much tougher when they screw up, its actually not even close.

cd021
04-28-2014, 07:46 AM
Another part that's pretty fucking dumb is that his girlfriend is half black and shit, and everyone is just pretending like she wasn't trying to extort money from him. The whole situation is a clusterfuck, tbh.

Mel Gibsons girlfriend was a foreigner but apparently hates blacks and Jews. A racist can be full of contradictions because they are morons. But to bee fairr she probably bait him a bit to get it on tape.

SupremeGuy
04-28-2014, 08:32 AM
When a white owner says he doesn't want blacks to come to his games yet has his 4 best players are black along with the head coach and most the league for that matter its a pretty big deal.

The real racism? its not like black athletes get a pass for the stuff they do. Sherman trash talked on national tv and people word hammering on twitter with racial slurs same with Lebron changing teams. Rice got indicted and it was all over tv. Vick actually went to prison so did Plaxico. if anything, blacks have it much tougher when they screw up, its actually not even close.The fuck are you talking about? Sherman twisted that shit around quicker than kobe can rape a white woman. The media actually made it seem like anyone who had a problem with Sherman talking shit only have a problem with it because they're racist pigs. :rolleyes

Vick and Plax broke the fucking law, so what do you expect to happen? Ray Rice punched out his wife and fucking dragged her out of an elevator. Guess what? None of the last three have anyone on ESPN/media saying that they should lose their job or be forced out of the league.

Is Sterling a fucking prick? Yes. Did he hurt anyone/break any laws? No. Stop overreacting for fuck's sake. If anything, Jim Irsay should be more heavily penalized for driving around and abusing a shit ton of prescription drugs and alcohol. That faggot could have killed someone. No one is going to get hurt by Sterling's comments, other than over-sensitive vaginas, tbh.

SupremeGuy
04-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Mel Gibsons girlfriend was a foreigner but apparently hates blacks and Jews. A racist can be full of contradictions because they are morons. But to bee fairr she probably bait him a bit to get it on tape.Not all foreigners are blacks or jews...

Dex
04-28-2014, 08:37 AM
What does TIME think about this??!?!

TIME keeps on slipping...slipping...slipping...

...into the future.

ManuTastic
04-28-2014, 08:50 AM
The league (i.e., the other owners) should force him to sell the team and leave the game. It looks like the wheels are already in motion on that, as Magic Johnson is actively interested in buying it.
And no, it's not a First Amendment issue. The First Amendment prevents the Government from censoring your speech. That is all. If you say something, anyone who's not the government can react however they want: criticize you, fire you, whatever. Fox News always has trouble understanding this basic fact, but it's not hard to remember.

moisaenz
04-28-2014, 09:11 AM
just a crazy old senile man nothing else... move on.

Dex
04-28-2014, 09:17 AM
The league (i.e., the other owners) should force him to sell the team and leave the game. It looks like the wheels are already in motion on that, as Magic Johnson is actively interested in buying it.
And no, it's not a First Amendment issue. The First Amendment prevents the Government from censoring your speech. That is all. If you say something, anyone who's not the government can react however they want: criticize you, fire you, whatever. Fox News always has trouble understanding this basic fact, but it's not hard to remember.

Bingo. Free speech may be federally protected, but that doesn't mean that an organization will choose to associate itself with the consequences it can bring.

If the NBA can fine players for questioning the refs or bad-mouthing the league, I don't see why they can't bring some sort of repercussions against Sterling.

TampaDude
04-28-2014, 11:21 AM
Omg an 80 year old white rich guy is a racist, stop the fucking presses

^ this, tbh

EVAY
04-28-2014, 11:34 AM

lol. I hope that you are right. But I have never watched Fox news in my life except for the clips from it on The Daily Show.

Hate speech and Yelling Fire in a crowded theater are exceptions to the Free Speech amendment, but I don't know what else is. That is all I was saying.

boutons_deux
04-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Donald Trump attacks ‘girlfriend from hell’ for ‘setting up’ racist NBA owner Don Sterling

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/28/donald-trump-attacks-girlfriend-from-hell-for-setting-up-racist-nba-owner-don-sterling/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story% 29

cd021
04-28-2014, 01:31 PM
Not all foreigners are blacks or jews...

You misunderstand the point, people who are racist tend to believe every other race or nationality is inferior. Thats why its contradictory.

naf srups
04-28-2014, 02:00 PM
Does anyone find it strange that the subject of the recorded phone call revolved around the girlfriend's instagram w/ Magic. The same person who is eagerly awaiting the forced sale of the Clippers in order to place his bid. I think there may be more to this story.

cd021
04-28-2014, 02:19 PM
The fuck are you talking about? Sherman twisted that shit around quicker than kobe can rape a white woman. The media actually made it seem like anyone who had a problem with Sherman talking shit only have a problem with it because they're racist pigs. :rolleyes

Vick and Plax broke the fucking law, so what do you expect to happen? Ray Rice punched out his wife and fucking dragged her out of an elevator. Guess what? None of the last three have anyone on ESPN/media saying that they should lose their job or be forced out of the league.

Is Sterling a fucking prick? Yes. Did he hurt anyone/break any laws? No. Stop overreacting for fuck's sake. If anything, Jim Irsay should be more heavily penalized for driving around and abusing a shit ton of prescription drugs and alcohol. That faggot could have killed someone. No one is going to get hurt by Sterling's comments, other than over-sensitive vaginas, tbh.

Not sure how i'm over reacting . BTW Sherman didn't cry racism after his trash talk it was all over the news about all of the racist tweets he received.
(http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/73920503580/dumb-racists-outraged-that-football-star-richard) (http://deadspin.com/dumb-people-say-stupid-racist-shit-about-richard-sherm-1504843629)

Bad example on my part with Vick and Plax, but both of them did lose their job and literally millions along with freedom for multiple years. Apparently you didn't watch ESPN i remember most of the commentary was on whether they should be cut. ATL actually sued Vick for his bonus after cutting him. Ursay should be penalized ,of course. Sterling personal feeling has spilled on the court, his players have lost respect for him. Free agents are less likely to sign for a team that has a owner that thinks like that.

In terms of $$ black people don't attend games in massive numbers but they watch quite a bit on tv (specifically local TV, which is extremely lucrative) alienating them directly affect the teams value and revenue. Stern went soft on Sterling Silver has to go hard and suspend and fine him to get the point across. This isn't even the most offensive stuff he's done but he is a repeat offender in terms of discrimination.

Embedded
04-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Well if the players refuse to play, the games are boycotted, sponsors pull out - Sterling may have no choice unless he just wants to pee money away. Oh, and he has been married since 1957. How is he talking about his 'girlfriend'? and SHE'S BLACK. WTF?!? You can't make this stuff up, people. I think his wife is full of it.

~Sweetmelody~
04-28-2014, 06:11 PM
Does anyone find it strange that the subject of the recorded phone call revolved around the girlfriend's instagram w/ Magic. The same person who is eagerly awaiting the forced sale of the Clippers in order to place his bid. I think there may be more to this story.

Interesting observation, Honestly all I thought when his name was mentioned was "He is okay with her sleeping with him but not posting pictures?"

In any case, If a company employed mostly a specific race of employees and then is caught making statements like that, it would be pretty demoralizing to the employees.

Embedded
04-28-2014, 06:23 PM
Donald Trump says whatever he needs to say to get press. I agree, she was baiting him on some of the questions, because she knew what he would say.

Embedded
04-28-2014, 06:45 PM
http://www.totallyduh.com/files/2012/07/racist-jokes.jpg

SupremeGuy
04-28-2014, 06:52 PM
Bad example on my part with Vick and Plax, but both of them did lose their job and literally millions along with freedom for multiple years. Apparently you didn't watch ESPN i remember most of the commentary was on whether they should be cut. ATL actually sued Vick for his bonus after cutting him. Ursay should be penalized ,of course. Sterling personal feeling has spilled on the court, his players have lost respect for him. Free agents are less likely to sign for a team that has a owner that thinks like that.Being cut by your current team =/= being forced out of football. Like I said, Ray Rice fucking knocked out his wife and dragged her by her hair and I don't hear a single person on ESPN/media saying that he should be forced out of football.

SupremeGuy
04-28-2014, 06:54 PM
Does anyone find it strange that the subject of the recorded phone call revolved around the girlfriend's instagram w/ Magic. The same person who is eagerly awaiting the forced sale of the Clippers in order to place his bid. I think there may be more to this story.Yeah, I think there's definitely more to the story. Too bad everyone is so desperate to protect the poor fragile black people from the mean old white person. :rolleyes

Expert
04-28-2014, 07:01 PM
I see nothing wrong with what Sterling said. If it was that offensive, why did all the blacks show up to play?

PingPong
04-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Sterling has Money. That's enough. If he was a player or a coach, he was fucked up. But he's a millionaire or billionaire....

Obstructed_View
04-28-2014, 07:23 PM
If you're a non-sports fan who didn't know Donald Sterling was a bigot, you're forgiven.

If you're a casual sports fan who didn't know Donald Sterling was a bigot, no big deal.

If you're a fairly regular NBA fan who didn't know Donald Sterling was a bigot, you haven't really been paying attention.

If you're a big enough NBA fan to post on a Spurs message board and you didn't know Donald Sterling was a bigot, you're kind of a moron.

If you're a Clippers fan or a member of the Clippers organization and you didn't know Donald Sterling was a bigot before you took his money and joined his ball club, it's way too late for you to make a political statement now.

All that said, Sterling's always been this way, and he should have known better than to run his mouth when he's a high profile person in a high profile industry. He needs to be put out to pasture with his 700 million dollars profit ASAP. I wonder if the league can force him to sell.

SpurPadre
04-28-2014, 07:35 PM

These comments are disturbing in their own right that someone would try to justify what that old bigot said with a blanket statement pitting whites as oppressed and an indirect shot at black people. There definitely is a dangerous air of ignorance and racism still poisoning society, tbh.

Obstructed_View
04-28-2014, 07:39 PM
These comments are disturbing in their own right that someone would try to justify what that old bigot said. There definitely is a dangerous air of racism still poisoning society, tbh.

There's also a dangerous mob of people being sanctimonious about a private conversation that someone recorded. I've seen a lot of people being accused of being racist just for pointing out that reality, tbh.

SpurPadre
04-28-2014, 07:44 PM
There's also a dangerous mob of people being sanctimonious about a private conversation that someone recorded. I've seen a lot of people being accused of being racist just for pointing out that reality, tbh.

I know you're taking a sarcastic swipe at me but I'm merely pointing out and specifically bolded his comments about white people that I mostly found disturbing. I know it was a private conversation that was recorded but the fact is we've all heard them and if you are of sound mind would think they were bigoted comments and wouldn't feel the need to defend them in any moral way.

Obstructed_View
04-28-2014, 07:54 PM
I know you're taking a sarcastic swipe at me but I'm merely pointing out and specifically bolded his comments about white people that I mostly found disturbing. I know it was a private conversation that was recorded but the fact is we've all heard them and if you are of sound mind would think they were bigoted comments and wouldn't feel the need to defend them in any moral way.

You can clearly see that I didn't defend his comments, but there's no law against saying something like that, even if it's stupid, and some people would be wise to keep in mind that we live in a country where you're allowed to say terrible and ignorant shit. Go to the NFL forum and pick a random thread that has to do with a black quarterback to find people saying things that are a hundred times worse than what Sterling said.

While what he said is in no way illegal, the rest of us are equally allowed to say how stupid he is for saying something so retarded, even in private, even if he believes it, and particularly when he's the owner of a fucking NBA team. You and I are on the same page about that, and I was not being sarcastic or taking a swipe, I was pointing out that there's a lot of emboldened people throwing stones, many of whom are not without sin. The simple fact that Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are wading into the middle of this maelstrom lends some truth to what SG said. It's a legitimate observation, and attempting to shame people into keeping those opinions to themselves by implying their own racism is low-class.

SpurPadre
04-28-2014, 08:19 PM
You can clearly see that I didn't defend his comments, but there's no law against saying something like that, even if it's stupid, and some people would be wise to keep in mind that we live in a country where you're allowed to say terrible and ignorant shit. Go to the NFL forum and pick a random thread that has to do with a black quarterback to find people saying things that are a hundred times worse than what Sterling said.

While what he said is in no way illegal, the rest of us are equally allowed to say how stupid he is for saying something so retarded, even in private, even if he believes it, and particularly when he's the owner of a fucking NBA team. You and I are on the same page about that, and I was not being sarcastic or taking a swipe, I was pointing out that there's a lot of emboldened people throwing stones, many of whom are not without sin. The simple fact that Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are wading into the middle of this maelstrom lends some truth to what SG said. It's a legitimate observation, and attempting to shame people into keeping those opinions to themselves by implying their own racism is low-class.

No, actually, I wouldn't want people to harbor racial opinions to themselves. I'd like to know who my enemies are or to open the eyes of someone who I think is clearly misguided but well-intentioned. But SG made some comments that bothered me and this whole "white people are oppressed, they are given such high-standards compared to blacks" mindset is one I think is unhealthy and doesn't benefit the public discourse on race relations.

hater
04-28-2014, 08:21 PM
What about the NBA owners association? was there any statement from them?

I would think probably not as most of them probably think like Sterling and also would not want THEIR private conversations used against them.

the real outcry should be towards them. where is their statement regarding this?

I'm gonna go ahead and say most of them were not surprised or upset about this. where is the outrage?

poeticism707
04-28-2014, 08:28 PM
As a man of color , I could care less.

Overreacting.

This is a grown man, thinking his own thoughts, and talking about them IN PRIVATE, with his girlfriend, or ex.

Charles Barkley says whatever stupid thing on pops into his head ON CAMERA, but no one wants to castrate him.

Leave Sterling alone.

Unfortunately, the big govenrment, and stupid thought police disguised as black people lovers, will pop up to make sure all slaves think the same thoughts.

SupremeGuy
04-28-2014, 08:34 PM

Overreacting.

This is a grown man, thinking his own thoughts, and talking about them IN PRIVATE, with his girlfriend, or ex.

Charles Barkley says whatever stupid thing on pops into his head ON CAMERA, but no one wants to castrate him.

Leave Sterling alone.

Unfortunately, the big govenrment, and stupid thought police disguised as black people lovers, will pop up to make sure all slaves think the same thoughts.Stop thinking for yourself, tbh. They'll brand you a racist.

SpurPadre
04-28-2014, 08:34 PM

Overreacting.

Leave Sterling alone.

Unfortunately, the big govenrment, and stupid thought police disguised as black people lovers, will pop up to make sure all slaves think the same thoughts.

What evidence do you have that ALL people who find fault with what Sterling said are "disguised as black people lovers"? You don't know shit about me or anyone else here to make that blanket statement.

GSH
04-28-2014, 08:39 PM
Jay Z wears his ignorant-assed Five Percent Nation medallion while sitting in the $4,000 seats at an NBA game, and none of you shitheels got upset. For those who don't know, the Five Percent Nation people believe that “Whiteness is weak and wicked and inferior — basically just an errant child who needs to be corrected.” That's about as blatantly racist as it gets. But most of you will fall back on the most blatantly ignorant response in existence... "That's different." It's not different. Both are reprehensible. And yet you focus on one, and offer the other a pass.

Jay Z has been on speed dial for Obama for years, and none of you make demands that either of them should be boycotted for their obscenely racist associations. Ex-Knicks player Larry Johnson called for an all-Black league today, but none of you are "appalled" by that comment.

The one and only fact here is that this isn't a discussion about racism. Most of you don't really give a shit about racism. This is about who gets to be on top. Sterling is a racist fuck, and I dislike him intensely for it. A whole bunch of you are racist fucks, who pretend that you aren't. Ditto for you. In spades. You can't have it both ways. If you don't have a problem with Jay Z's racist bling on the front row at an NBA game, or in the White House, you're part of the problem. Free your mind, and the rest will follow.

hater
04-28-2014, 08:43 PM
as I said before. I could care less what these losers have to say about this.

I wanna know if Sterling's colleages, the other NBA slave owners eemm, I mean owners have something to say.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the owner's lawyers and legal advisors have told them to stay quiet otherwise they could be targets of this in the future.

Obstructed_View
04-28-2014, 08:44 PM
But SG made some comments that bothered me and this whole "white people are oppressed, they are given such high-standards compared to blacks" mindset is one I think is unhealthy and doesn't benefit the public discourse on race relations.

Misrepresenting someone's comments like you just did above, and then denying that a double standard exists doesn't benefit the public discourse on race relations very much either. I can't imagine this conversation doing anything but spiraling downhill from here, so I'm going to back out of it now. Simply not worth being swept up in the PC lynch mob.

poeticism707
04-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Jay Z wears his ignorant-assed Five Percent Nation medallion while sitting in the $4,000 seats at an NBA game, and none of you shitheels got upset. For those who don't know, the Five Percent Nation people believe that “Whiteness is weak and wicked and inferior — basically just an errant child who needs to be corrected.” That's about as blatantly racist as it gets. But most of you will fall back on the most blatantly ignorant response in existence... "That's different." It's not different. Both are reprehensible. And yet you focus on one, and offer the other a pass.

Jay Z has been on speed dial for Obama for years, and none of you make demands that either of them should be boycotted for their obscenely racist associations. Ex-Knicks player Larry Johnson called for an all-Black league today, but none of you are "appalled" by that comment.

The one and only fact here is that this isn't a discussion about racism. Most of you don't really give a shit about racism. This is about who gets to be on top. Sterling is a racist fuck, and I dislike him intensely for it. A whole bunch of you are racist fucks, who pretend that you aren't. Ditto for you. In spades. You can't have it both ways. If you don't have a problem with Jay Z's racist bling on the front row at an NBA game, or in the White House, you're part of the problem. Free your mind, and the rest will follow.

This. All these black, rich "elititst" are even more sanctimonious, self righteous, racist, and mostly don't hide it.

And yet Sterling, or rich white men, must walk to run around the earth, singing Aretha Franklin's "Respect," just to get the benefit of the doubt.

Get real. All of these guys are super rich, crooks, who like to smile and wave for the camera.

Stop closing your eyes to one, and condemning the other.

SpurPadre
04-28-2014, 08:58 PM
Misrepresenting someone's comments like you just did above, and then denying that a double standard exists doesn't benefit the public discourse on race relations very much either. I can't imagine this conversation doing anything but spiraling downhill from here, so I'm going to back out of it now. Simply not worth being swept up in the PC lynch mob.

Yeah, walk out of it by hurling a final insult instead of civil talk despite actually agreeing on some things.

LkrFan
04-28-2014, 09:26 PM

Truth bombs. Well said. :toast

tholdren
04-28-2014, 10:25 PM
i don't get it. first, why are black people upset? he's not denying blacks a job, he just wants to not associate with them. who cares? are you not allowed to dislike black culture? im social with everyone but i dont go out looking to hang with mexicans asians or blacks. if my boss told his whore not to associate with white people, i wouldn't care. why is it black people get offended by everything? they are so insecure they invented the term hater, they claim not to care but never stop bitching. get over it.

Obstructed_View
04-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Yeah, walk out of it by hurling a final insult instead of civil talk despite actually agreeing on some things.

If you think that's an insult instead of a statement of absolute fact, then you're part of the problem. There are no victims in this, but there are a whole fucking lot of people playing the victim all of a sudden.

SpurPadre
04-29-2014, 01:51 PM
If you think that's an insult instead of a statement of absolute fact, then you're part of the problem. There are no victims in this, but there are a whole fucking lot of people playing the victim all of a sudden.

Well, I'll agree to disagree because I think your mentality in this is part of the problem. It's a strange mentality too, considering your previous posts condemning what the guy said.

hater
04-29-2014, 01:51 PM
Banned for life LOL. What a terrible fascist move.

can you imagine if Kori employed same strategy as the NBA? This site would have abou 7 posters left :lol

Obstructed_View
04-29-2014, 01:59 PM
Well, I'll agree to disagree because I think your mentality in this is part of the problem. It's a strange mentality too, considering your previous posts condemning what the guy said.

I guess I won't mention the mentality that thinks because I defend someone's right to speak in America that it means I automatically agree with what comes out of their mouth. If people are going to play the aggrieved victim like this and start wading in with their internet pitchforks and torches, moaning and wailing just because a person says the "N word" in private (A word Kevin Garnett yells several times a game) and someone recorded it, they're gonna have a bad time.

The school system has failed so many people.

TampaDude
04-29-2014, 02:05 PM
You have the right to have racist thoughts and beliefs. It's a free country.

You do not, however, have the right to have your racism affect others in your workplace and create a hostile work environment.

You don't like blacks? Fine. Keep it to yourself.

This is far from the first time Sterling has pulled some majorly racist bullshit. He wasn't going to weasel out of it this time.

That said, the bitch that recorded him broke the law. California is a two-party state when it comes to wiretapping laws. But that is for a different court to worry about.

Chinook
04-29-2014, 02:16 PM
Damn, I really do feel like this country is falling apart sometimes.

cjw
04-29-2014, 02:16 PM
That said, the bitch that recorded him broke the law. California is a two-party state when it comes to wiretapping laws. But that is for a different court to worry about.

Misdemeanor = up to one year in jail and a $2,500 fine. I doubt she does jail time as a first time offender and she got plenty of cash from Mr. Sterling over the years (not to mention four cars that most of us will never drive).

SpurPadre
04-29-2014, 02:19 PM
I guess I won't mention the mentality that thinks because I defend someone's right to speak in America that it means I automatically agree with what comes out of their mouth. If people are going to play the aggrieved victim like this and start wading in with their internet pitchforks and torches, moaning and wailing just because a person says the "N word" in private (A word Kevin Garnett yells several times a game) and someone recorded it, they're gonna have a bad time.

The school system has failed so many people.

See, this is the needless jabbing I'm talking about and it's hypocrisy as well because you're defending one's right to voice an opinion but not mines. It's ad-hominem as well. I agree the school system is failing and with the attitude you're displaying, you're a victim of it as well.

Chinook
04-29-2014, 02:25 PM
See, this is the needless jabbing I'm talking about and it's hypocrisy as well because you're defending one's right to voice an opinion but not mines. It's ad-hominem as well. I agree the school system is failing and with the attitude you're displaying, you're a victim of it as well.

Lol. Dude, he never told you not to give your opinion. He's just saying it's stupid, just like he's saying about Sterling's. He's not the one with the double standard.

Mugen
04-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Donald Sterling is a piece of shit human being who should have been ousted from the league years ago.

But I don't like the thought of somebody being forced out because some two bit gold digger records a private conversation away from the sport tbh.

SpurPadre
04-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Lol. Dude, he never told you not to give your opinion. He's just saying it's stupid, just like he's saying about Sterling's. He's not the one with the double standard.

LOL, now it's just piling on just to pile on, really.

SpurPadre
04-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Donald Sterling is a piece of shit human being who should have been ousted from the league years ago.

But I don't like the thought of somebody being forced out because some two bit gold digger records a private conversation away from the sport tbh.

She is a two-bit gold digger, no doubt but why would any minority want to play for that team as long as that dude is there? It would be a business nightmare for the NBA and they had no choice but to do this.

Mugen
04-29-2014, 02:36 PM
She is a two-bit gold digger, no doubt but why would any minority want to play for that team as long as that dude is there? It would be a business nightmare for the NBA and they had no choice but to do this.

Doc came willingly to the Clippers knowing full well that Sterling is a known racist. This is not some kind of revelation tbh.

SpurPadre
04-29-2014, 02:40 PM
Doc came willingly to the Clippers knowing full well that Sterling is a known racist. This is not some kind of revelation tbh.

But would you say the whole league and every player knew with absolute fact that Sterling is a racist other than hearsay?

Mugen
04-29-2014, 02:43 PM
But would you say the whole league and every player knew with absolute fact that Sterling is a racist other than hearsay?

the whole league? who knows. The majority of people with knowledge of the situation? Absolutely.

Chinook
04-29-2014, 02:44 PM
LOL, now it's just piling on just to pile on, really.

Not piling on. I was clarifying since you seemed to have trouble understanding what OV was saying.

diego
04-29-2014, 02:52 PM
Its fine for sterling to be racist In private. But this isnt the first time he has publicly been racist, and if you are an owner of an international franchise and do that you'll get in big trouble. I don't know anything about jayz beyond that he is a rapper with some connection to the nets so I can't comment on him. But sterling has been a shitty owner for decades with numerous scandals involving race, I'm pretty sure that if jay z had been taken to court repeatedly for discrimination he wouldn't be as popular as he is and would face the same scrutiny.

I don't see how anyone can be sympathetic to sterling when the idiot was saying stupidly racist shit to a black woman he pays for sex. What loyalty was he expecting? If he thinks blacks are so smelly why does he have a black prostitute, and why does he tell her racist things considering his history and all that was at stake? His stupidity forced the league to act, considering its a mostly black league its only logical he got a huge punishment.

Embedded
04-29-2014, 02:53 PM
I had heard that Sterling was a moron when he was insulting and heckling Baron Davis on the court. I didn't know about anything other than that, and that was several years ago. I don't know how he can be obviously an avid basketball fan, how can he detest basketball players so much? Why wouldn't he have a team like the Spurs where the blacks are more like butter pecan? There's enough dark-skinned negroes on the Clippers to make a Tarzan movie. I applaud what Silver did today. I think he was very nervous, gosh such a big stage so soon in his administration. I wonder if the league can declare all Clippers' players free agents after this season if Sterling doesn't agree to sell the team?

04-29-2014, 03:01 PM
Unfortunately, even if the bigoted Sterling is forced to sell, he'll come out richer than he already is.

He bought the team for what, 12 million? He'll easily get $600 million for the franchise if not more.

diego
04-29-2014, 03:03 PM
Also for those comparing with Kobe (one of my top 3 most hated ever), Kobe wasn't convicted of rape and apologized for saying faggot. I'm pretty sure that had sterling come out immediately and claimed to be under the influence and deeply regretting what he said out of jealousy bla bla bla that he would have gotten a smaller punishment. When you don't even apologize, expect severe consequences.

If in the future a player comes out and says Chinese people are smelly and doesn't apologize, its absolutely reasonable to me for that player to get banned. Is it that hard to keep that kind of comment to yourself when you know you represent an international brand?

hater
04-29-2014, 03:04 PM
Also for those comparing with Kobe (one of my top 3 most hated ever), Kobe wasn't convicted of rape and apologized for saying faggot. I'm pretty sure that had sterling come out immediately and claimed to be under the influence and deeply regretting what he said out of jealousy bla bla bla that he would have gotten a smaller punishment. When you don't even apologize, expect severe consequences.

If in the future a player comes out and says Chinese people are smelly and doesn't apologize, its absolutely reasonable to me for that player to get banned. Is it that hard to keep that kind of comment to yourself when you know you represent an international brand?

Bullshit. Danny Granger called all Europeans stinky asses and nobody banned him :lol

Mikeanaro
04-29-2014, 03:08 PM
Fuck him he is banned for life, it´s well deserved and don´t come with that freedom of speech bullshit.

hater
04-29-2014, 03:14 PM
it´s well deserved and don´t come with that freedom of speech bullshit.

Im sure many whites uttered these same words after malcom X was shot

Malik Hairston
04-29-2014, 03:24 PM
As my nigga Baseline Bum said in the NBA Forum, this is clearly the league and owners taking advantage of an opportunity to rid themselves of a problem owner that has been an irritant to them, financially, for a long time, tbh..

In any other case, the person in question would have simply received a suspension and a mid-level fine with some counselling, tbh..

The Clippers players never gave a shit about Sterling's views, especially that Uncle Tom Doc Rivers, they all willingly signed with his team:lol..

I'm half Black myself, but I'm not fooled into thinking this shit has anything to do with racial sensitivity, tbh, it's all about the money, which is fine, just don't act like it has anything to do with race:lol..

cheguevara
04-29-2014, 03:36 PM
:lmao everyone is missing the point. this has nothing to do with punishing a guy for his views, also nothing to do with an NBA vendetta vs. Sterling.

This has ALL TO DO WITH $$$$$$$$$$$$$

the new NBA commish is on his hands and knees pleading the sponsors to return to the Clippers. He's basically asking to suck their dicks for the sponsoring money. He is also "pleading" the owners to do something about Sterling, which means, he doesn't have the votes nor the support of the owners. He is publicly pleading and dicksucking the media and sponsors for money.

that's it and that's all. Money $$$ dollar bills. It's all about money.

this move by NBA has NOTHING to do with dealing with racism or dealing with Sterling. It's basically asking and pleading for the sponsors to come back and stop jumping ship on the NBA.

Malik Hairston
04-29-2014, 03:39 PM
:lmao everyone is missing the point. this has nothing to do with punishing a guy for his views, also nothing to do with an NBA vendetta vs. Sterling.

This has ALL TO DO WITH $$$$$$$$$$$$$

the new NBA commish is on his hands and knees pleading the sponsors to return to the Clippers. He's basically asking to suck their dicks for the sponsoring money. He is also "pleading" the owners to do something about Sterling, which means, he doesn't have the votes nor the support of the owners. He is publicly pleading and dicksucking the media and sponsors for money.

that's it and that's all. Money $$$ dollar bills. It's all about money.

this move by NBA has NOTHING to do with dealing with racism or dealing with Sterling. It's basically asking and pleading for the sponsors to come back and stop jumping ship on the NBA.

Not just corporate sponsors, but it also appears that Magic Johnson's group is going to take ownership of the Clippers..they are notorious for spending money, as they have done with the Dodgers, which will profit the league and the other owners, tbh..

In addition to Magic being arguably the most beloved player in NBA history, and is a business mogul with a great background for networking..

cheguevara
04-29-2014, 03:40 PM
this is equivalent to fining the Spurs for resting their players. 100% motivated by moneys and profits and 100% motivated at pleasing the sponsors.

CosmicCowboy
04-29-2014, 03:41 PM
I call bullshit.

This is the NBA patronizing the players.

NBA has no legal grounds to ban him for life or force a sale.

Sterling will sue and win.

NBA will shrug their shoulders and tell the players "we tried".

The owners WILL NOT vote to allow the NBA to arbitrarily take their franchises away for something like this.

As outraged as Silver may be in public I can almost guarantee you that in private he is assuring the other owners it won't happen.

cheguevara
04-29-2014, 03:43 PM
I call bullshit.

The owners WILL NOT vote to allow the NBA to arbitrarily take their franchises away for something like this.

As outraged as Silver may be in public I can almost guarantee you that in private he is assuring the other owners it won't happen.

possibly

as I said it's mainly a PR move to publicly tell sponsors "there, we punished him. Now keep pouring your millions on this franchise"

SpurPadre
04-29-2014, 04:13 PM
Aside from the offensiveness of what Sterling said and how it was recorded, another important thing we can't gloss over is that his girlfriend is a self-serving, sellout bitch (rather use the c word but that's not allowed here) who should turn in both her black and mexican card for sticking around with dude and putting up with his bullshit that long just so she can get her hands on the money. Funny how in the recording, Sterling encouraged her to embrace Magic in privacy and to even FUCK the dude, lol. Maybe she should've listened to that part and gotten HIV herself. Fucking bitch.

hater
04-29-2014, 04:16 PM
Aside from the offensiveness of what Sterling said and how it was recorded, another important thing we can't gloss over is that his girlfriend is a self-serving, sellout bitch (rather use the c word but that's not allowed here) who should turn in both her black and mexican card for sticking around with dude and putting up with his bullshit that long just so she can get her hands on the money. Funny how in the recording, Sterling encouraged her to embrace Magic in privacy and to even FUCK the dude, lol. Maybe she should've listened to that part and gotten HIV herself. Fucking bitch.

she was just a pawn used by Sterling's enemies. You really think this stupid bitch had the mental fortitude to record hours of conversations on her own? :lol

as I said this is just another 666 park avenue style takedown

will_spurs
04-29-2014, 04:24 PM

The only little issue here is that he can't sue. He agreed to some rules when he became a NBA franchise owner, among which two are relevant right now: a) the commish's word is final and binding and b) a majority vote by the other owners means he's not an owner any more. And all without the chance for him to sue, only possibly to bring this to arbitration.

Let's not be fooled here: this is a culling. It's been a long time in the making but Sterling's days are finally over.

SpurPadre
04-29-2014, 04:25 PM
she was just a pawn used by Sterling's enemies. You really think this stupid bitch had the mental fortitude to record hours of conversations on her own? :lol

as I said this is just another 666 park avenue style takedown

I'm not talking about the act of recording it, I'm referring to her willing to take down pictures of black people on her instagram initially as indicated on their conversation. She knew full well how racist he was for a while but didn't care so long as she can get her hands on as much money as possible.

hater
04-29-2014, 04:31 PM
I'm not talking about the act of recording it, I'm referring to her willing to take down pictures of black people on her instagram initially as indicated on their conversation. She knew full well how racist he was for a while but didn't care so long as she can get her hands on as much money as possible.

do you seriously believe he is a true racist?

I don't. I don't believe this media hype. Sure he was an asshole, as I said you don't become billionaire for being a nice guy. He is also an 80 year old white man. Go and find me an 80 year old white man that is 100% nonracist.

SnakeBoy
04-29-2014, 04:35 PM
I call bullshit.

I wouldn't be surprised if Silver is privately assuring Sterling the lifetime ban won't stand. Let things die down, Sterling can do some "good deeds" for wayward black kids and the league can declare him redeemed and lift the ban.

I heard that idiot Stephen A Smith declaring that nobody will ever want to be associated with Sterling again...dude is a multi billionaire there's no shortage of people who want to be his friend.

Skull-1
04-29-2014, 04:40 PM
I will crucify this dude when people like Al Sharpton get called out for their bigotry.

boutons_deux
04-29-2014, 04:42 PM
Dozens of sponsors have cancelled, so Sterling loses all that revenue.

SnakeBoy
04-29-2014, 04:43 PM
Dozens of sponsors have cancelled, so Sterling loses all that revenue.

They'll be back soon enough.

SnakeBoy
04-29-2014, 04:45 PM
They'll be back soon enough.

lol sooner than I thought...

NBA asks sponsors to return to Clippers after Sterling lifetime ban

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-nba-sponsors-donald-sterling-20140429,0,841636.story#ixzz30JXg4vn3

SpurPadre
04-29-2014, 04:55 PM

I don't. I don't believe this media hype. Sure he was an asshole, as I said you don't become billionaire for being a nice guy. He is also an 80 year old white man. Go and find me an 80 year old white man that is 100% nonracist.

Oh yeah, most definitely racist, he's of the "plantation politics" people have been referring to lately. Those are among the most dangerous types of racists.

Beaverfuzz
04-29-2014, 04:56 PM
Fuck you David Sterling, whomever the fuck you are.

Beaverfuzz
04-29-2014, 04:57 PM
The only little issue here is that he can't sue. He agreed to some rules when he became a NBA franchise owner, among which two are relevant right now: a) the commish's word is final and binding and b) a majority vote by the other owners means he's not an owner any more. And all without the chance for him to sue, only possibly to bring this to arbitration.

Let's not be fooled here: this is a culling. It's been a long time in the making but Sterling's days are finally over.

What he said. CBA rules trump any and all. If you don't like it, sell the team and go play in your own sandbox.

wildbill2u
04-29-2014, 05:08 PM
We see members of SpursTalk make racist (and sexist) comments all the time. And they are public statements except for the cover given by 'usernames'

What should we demand from TimVP and Kori since they run the site and ignore them?

Malik Hairston
04-29-2014, 05:15 PM

You just described Doc Rivers, Chris Paul and the rest of the Clippers, tbh..

Doc Rivers played for the Clippers in the 90s and acknowledged Sterling's reputation as a racist, yet he still chose to quit on the Celtics and join the Clippers as a coach, and was even asked about it afterward, to which he played it off:lol..

cd021
04-29-2014, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I think there's definitely more to the story. Too bad everyone is so desperate to protect the poor fragile black people from the mean old white person. :rolleyes

Alright that is just silly its 2014. Everyone should be offended by what he said not just black people. This guy still thinks its the 60's.He deserved what he got. Yet your upset that Rice isn't causing as much of a firestorm? He got indicted. First Take, Btw,has devoted at least an hour worth of commentary on Riice Both Stephen A & Bayless were surprised that the Raven had stuck by him. Simply releasing a player who has yet to be convicted of his crime and has millions on the books is more tricky than your argument makes it seem.

CosmicCowboy
04-29-2014, 05:22 PM

You are out of your fucking mind if you think Sterling can't and won't sue.

SpurPadre
04-29-2014, 05:23 PM
You just described Doc Rivers, Chris Paul and the rest of the Clippers, tbh..

Doc Rivers played for the Clippers in the 90s and acknowledged Sterling's reputation as a racist, yet he still chose to quit on the Celtics and join the Clippers as a coach, and was even asked about it afterward, to which he played it off:lol..

Agreed on that but that dumb bitch is as guilty as they are.

CosmicCowboy
04-29-2014, 05:27 PM
You are also out of your fucking mind if you think the owners are going to give Silver the power to take a franchise away from anyone over something they said in private that was illegally recorded. Silver works for the owners, not the other way around.

hater
04-29-2014, 05:29 PM
Silver works for the owners, not the other way around.

and everyone works for the sponsors. For all we know Sterling and the rest of the owners gave his blessing to this "slap in the wrist" to save themselves millions.

cd021
04-29-2014, 05:33 PM

you kind of contradicted yourself. His track record is more than a decade long. Including discriminating against blacks and hispanics by not renting to them. He also froze his GMs salary at $350,000 (Baylor who had been there for years)while giving a Caucasian HC $22 million. He also said he wanted a team full or poor southern blacks and a white coach.

CosmicCowboy
04-29-2014, 05:34 PM
and everyone works for the sponsors. For all we know Sterling and the rest of the owners gave his blessing to this "slap in the wrist" to save themselves millions.

The sponsors aren't going to bail on basketball. That's why sports leagues get such huge TV money. It's the only thing people watch live anymore and are willing to sit through the commercials. Everything else they DVR and fast forward through the commercials.

cd021
04-29-2014, 05:35 PM
You are out of your fucking mind if you think Sterling can't and won't sue.

he cant win because it goes into arbitration with the league and not the courts

cd021
04-29-2014, 05:37 PM
The sponsors aren't going to bail on basketball. That's why sports leagues get such huge TV money. It's the only thing people watch live anymore and are willing to sit through the commercials. Everything else they DVR and fast forward through the commercials.

very true sports are generally DVR proof meaning their rating are much more accurate (when networks set ad prices for tv spots)

CosmicCowboy
04-29-2014, 05:51 PM
he cant win because it goes into arbitration with the league and not the courts

I am aware of 26(m) in the league constitution making the commisioners decision "as final as an award of arbitration" but there were also specific descriptions of acts that would allow removal of an owner (gambling, throwing games, financial insolvency) and Sterling doesn't seem to meet that threshold and he can and will sue. I'm not saying he will win, but he isn't gonna roll over and take it either.

Virgil
04-29-2014, 05:55 PM
Expect a particular female body to appear cold dead in LA anytime soon.

(that is what would happen if some stupid ass bimbo made sth like that to me).

CosmicCowboy
04-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Expect a particular female body to appear cold dead in LA anytime soon.

(that is what would happen if some stupid ass bimbo made sth like that to me).

Hell, the ex-wife may have it done. She gets hit as bad financially as he does if they are forced to fire sale the clippers.

ElNono
04-29-2014, 06:01 PM
I am aware of 26(m) in the league constitution making the commisioners decision "as final as an award of arbitration" but there were also specific descriptions of acts that would allow removal of an owner and Sterling doesn't seem to meet that threshold and he can and will sue. I'm not saying he will win, but he isn't gonna roll over and take it either.

He can sue, but I doubt he'll prevail. Plus the owners decision is entirely a business decision, not a legal one. What this guy said, be it in public or private, legally or not, caused incredible damage to the league both monetarily and on reputation, which is one of the criteria for removal.

You're also probably forgetting that Silver is a NY lawyer himself, and so was Stern. They know exactly what they're doing.

Now, owners can vote not to kick him out and instead give him the opportunity to redeem himself somehow, and that might work. Perhaps he'll hand over the franchise to his kid, that might work too.

RD2191
04-29-2014, 06:04 PM
He's fucking 80. For life is like 4-6 years. :lol

CosmicCowboy
04-29-2014, 06:07 PM
He can sue, but I doubt he'll prevail. Plus the owners decision is entirely a business decision, not a legal one. What this guy said, be it in public or private, legally or not, caused incredible damage to the league both monetarily and on reputation, which is one of the criteria for removal.

You're also probably forgetting that Silver is a NY lawyer himself, and so was Stern. They know exactly what they're doing.

Now, owners can vote not to kick him out and instead give him the opportunity to redeem himself somehow, and that might work. Perhaps he'll hand over the franchise to his kid, that might work too.

Oh, I know Silver was a hotshot attorney before coming to the NBA and he probably even consulted with Stern on his decision.

He took a real gamble by doing this without polling the owners and I'm confident they are not happy about it. They either have to support him now or they will all individually be in the hot seat. It will be interesting to hear what Peter Holt says when he gets a microphone shoved in his face and the "question". Mark Cuban nailed it. Sterling sucks but it's a slippery slope to start removing owners for something they said in private.

Trill Clinton
04-29-2014, 06:09 PM
cd021 is in here spittin' hot fiya. good stuff:tu

ElNono
04-29-2014, 06:26 PM
Oh, I know Silver was a hotshot attorney before coming to the NBA and he probably even consulted with Stern on his decision.

He took a real gamble by doing this without polling the owners and I'm confident they are not happy about it. They either have to support him now or they will all individually be in the hot seat. It will be interesting to hear what Peter Holt says when he gets a microphone shoved in his face and the "question". Mark Cuban nailed it. Sterling sucks but it's a slippery slope to start removing owners for something they said in private.

I doubt he didn't poll the owners and the ultimate decision to remove him rests entirely with the owners. Silver doesn't have that power. As far as the ban and fine, Cuban seems ok with it...

CosmicCowboy
04-29-2014, 06:28 PM
I doubt he didn't poll the owners and the ultimate decision to remove him rests entirely with the owners. Silver doesn't have that power. As far as the ban and fine, Cuban seems ok with it...

Ban and fine, yes.

Making him sell? I'll bet not.

ElNono
04-29-2014, 06:30 PM
Ban and fine, yes.

Making him sell? I'll bet not.

They're two different issues. Silver cannot directly make him sell. Only a vote of 75% of the owners can do that. Silver will present his case to the owners for why this guy should be ejected, and the owners will vote.

hater
04-29-2014, 06:31 PM
Sterling will fight this and might not take NBA's secrets to the grave after all...

“Donald is agreeable to stepping down pending the outcome of the NBA investigation,” a source told RadarOnline.com. “The 80-year-old has no plans to sell the team … the NBA can’t force him to do it. He loves the team, and currently in the NBA, Donald holds the record for being the longest owner.

“He truly believes that once his version of events comes out, the public will feel very differently. He believes that the audiotape that captured those remarks have been altered.”

baseline bum
04-29-2014, 06:33 PM
That team getting sold to an ownership group willing to pay to build a winning franchise will be huge for the NBA in future TV deals. To have a second marquee franchise in LA instead of laughingstock and embarrassment to the league. This is going to happen because it's going to make the NBA and the other owners more money. Silver is jumping on public outrage as his opening to get Sterling out.

CosmicCowboy
04-29-2014, 06:34 PM
Sterling will fight this and might not take NBA's secrets to the grave after all...

“Donald is agreeable to stepping down pending the outcome of the NBA investigation,” a source told RadarOnline.com. “The 80-year-old has no plans to sell the team … the NBA can’t force him to do it. He loves the team, and currently in the NBA, Donald holds the record for being the longest owner.

“He truly believes that once his version of events comes out, the public will feel very differently. He believes that the audiotape that captured those remarks have been altered.”

:lmao

Classic Sterling. He also said he didn't fire Mike Dunleavy "he just quit coming to the office"...:lol

Skull-1
04-29-2014, 07:01 PM
you kind of contradicted yourself. His track record is more than a decade long. Including discriminating against blacks and hispanics by not renting to them. He also froze his GMs salary at $350,000 (Baylor who had been there for years)while giving a Caucasian HC $22 million. He also said he wanted a team full or poor southern blacks and a white coach.

And and was about to receive a Humanitarian Award from the NAALCP. :rollin

Spursone
04-29-2014, 07:46 PM
It's telling how for years individuals must have known about Sterling's racist ways, yet they turned the cheek because he was lining there pockets with money. Now of course it's blown up in the media and the NBA must safe face. I am not defending Sterling he is a low life with no moral compass, I'm just saying people will tolerate anything as long as they make money. Anyone here of the "relationship" Magic Johnson has had with this Vile Woman. It's believed in some circles that this tape recording was a setup Orchestrated by Magic Johnson so in the end he can with the backing of the NBA force Sterling out and put himself in position to buy the Clippers. It all seems so bizarre.

Nathan89
04-29-2014, 08:01 PM
Meanwhile the NFL has a team called the Redskins. Why people are making such a big deal about this and not that is confusing.

Shastafarian
04-29-2014, 09:04 PM
"It could be a slippery slope" is such a cop-out argument, especially in a situation like this. I love how Cuban did an about-face when the decision came down.

Shastafarian
04-29-2014, 09:06 PM
Maybe Cuban's "slippery slope" runs down the crevasse of a hooker's ass off which he did 20 lines of cocaine.

dallasmaverickslose
04-29-2014, 09:20 PM
I am quickly getting annoyed of the sports media (hell, the media in GENERAL) making up drama out of this. Yes, Sterling probably shouldn't own the Clippers anymore and he will most likely be out in the near future. But for now, the media needs to accept that this suspension and fine is all that the NBA can immediately do with all its power. He will be completely gone soon enough.

All this extra "stirring-up" does is create unnecessary drama and dwell on the past. I am so sick of hearing commentators constantly talk about this during the playoff games. Give it a rest.

tholdren
04-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Meanwhile the NFL has a team called the Redskins. Why people are making such a big deal about this and not that is confusing.
then cowboy is racist, giants would be culturally insensitive, cleveland indians and browns are out too... this country is full of overly sensitive bitches. cry more...then sue. pussy

ploto
04-29-2014, 09:24 PM
You are also out of your fucking mind if you think the owners are going to give Silver the power to take a franchise away from anyone over something they said in private that was illegally recorded. Silver works for the owners, not the other way around.

The owners will vote 29-0 to force the sale of the Clippers.

Shastafarian
04-29-2014, 09:28 PM
then cowboy is racist, giants would be culturally insensitive, cleveland indians and browns are out too... this country is full of overly sensitive bitches. cry more...then sue. pussy
lol What? Are you fucking with us?

tholdren
04-29-2014, 09:33 PM
lol What? Are you fucking with us?
as serious as the bitches crying over stereotypical comments that sterling made... you know how much offense i take to any of that? NONE. why? im not a bitch. people are the only ones who make themselves offended about shit that's not their business

Shastafarian
04-29-2014, 09:36 PM
as serious as the bitches crying over stereotypical comments that sterling made... you know how much offense i take to any of that? NONE. why? im not a minority. people are the only ones who make themselves offended about shit that's not their business

pretty sure I fify

tholdren
04-29-2014, 09:36 PM
pretty sure I fify
actually i am...

Shastafarian
04-29-2014, 09:37 PM
actually i am...

My bad then you're just not very smart.

tholdren
04-29-2014, 09:44 PM
:nope

Shastafarian
04-29-2014, 09:52 PM
you prove my point. pricks like you, and the media fucks, use this bullshit to try and get people to hate instead of ignore. you're worse than sterling because your an instigator like the whore who taped him. :lol I am? Show me comments where I instigate.

tell me, how does his comments DIRECTLY AFFECT YOU? THEY DONT ASSHOLE
They don't directly affect me. Not sure what that has to do with anything. You don't have opinions on things that don't directly affect you?

Please explain how cowboy is racist, giant is culturally insensitive (this one should be fun), and how the "browns" are racist. Waiting for enlightenment.

cd021
04-29-2014, 10:18 PM

The Redskins name is completely racist. Its like people want to argue even if its obviously offensive. Its not the 1960's anymore people can't get away with being racist morons.

Washington's owner doesn't want to change the name because it would be an acknowledgment that he was the name is offensive (not to mention the millions in re-branding)

Mikeanaro
04-30-2014, 01:11 AM
Im sure many whites uttered these same words after malcom X was shot
:lmaoWell...It works for every side right?

LoneStarState'sPride
04-30-2014, 07:03 AM
Please explain how cowboy is racist, giant is culturally insensitive (this one should be fun), and how the "browns" are racist. Waiting for enlightenment.

Predictably, this fool never came back :lol

Shastafarian
04-30-2014, 07:28 AM

I'm super-duper shocked.

rjv
04-30-2014, 02:32 PM
this "discussion" went about as well as i would have predicted.

Embedded
04-30-2014, 05:05 PM
I've got to admit, I was expecting a 2-year ban at most. For life? Wow. Man, Silver really dropped the hammer down on that Numbskull. Wouldn't it be funny if Sterling snuck into a game wearing a disguise and got outed in the middle of the stands? They could surf his butt down to the court, and everybody could heckle him, and the Black guys could try to hit on his woman.

rjv
04-30-2014, 05:12 PM
I've got to admit, I was expecting a 2-year ban at most. For life? Wow. Man, Silver really dropped the hammer down on that Numbskull. Wouldn't it be funny if Sterling snuck into a game wearing a disguise and got outed in the middle of the stands? They could surf his butt down to the court, and everybody could heckle him, and the Black guys could try to hit on his woman.

it would really be funny if he went in black face.

tholdren
04-30-2014, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=Shastafarian;7286362]:lol I am? Show me comments where I instigate.
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by tholdren (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7286292#post7286292)
actually i am...

My bad then you're just not very smart.

tholdren
04-30-2014, 06:06 PM
cowboy obviously racist to white westerners, giants offended tall people, indians = redskins, browns = making 1 color superior ..... all ppl can make ANYTHING offensive its really old

SupremeGuy
04-30-2014, 06:07 PM
this "discussion" went about as well as i would have predicted.Oh I don't know, there were a few intelligent posts.

Like this one for example:

Shastafarian
04-30-2014, 06:31 PM
cowboy obviously racist to white westerners, giants offended tall people, indians = redskins, browns = making 1 color superior ..... all ppl can make ANYTHING offensive its really old

Thank you for proving my "instigation" point. Just out of curiosity, what minority are you?

SupremeGuy
04-30-2014, 07:08 PM
Thank you for proving my "instigation" point. Just out of curiosity, what minority are you?What difference does that make, bigot?

Beaverfuzz
04-30-2014, 07:14 PM
Fuck you David Sterling, whomever you are!

Shastafarian
04-30-2014, 07:27 PM
What difference does that make, bigot?

You forgot to make it blue

SupremeGuy
04-30-2014, 07:41 PM
Weak deflection, tbh.

Shastafarian
04-30-2014, 07:42 PM
Weak deflection, tbh.

lol what? I thought you were kidding. :rollin

SupremeGuy
04-30-2014, 07:43 PM
Keep avoiding the question, bigot. :rollin

Shastafarian
04-30-2014, 07:48 PM
Keep avoiding the question, bigot. :rollin

You're out or your element here. He claimed to be a minority. I'm curious which one. Hell I'm a minority too. Go back and actually read the conversation :tu

SupremeGuy
04-30-2014, 07:52 PM
What difference does it make though? The implications stemming from your question are quite sad and disappointing, tbh. Especially from someone who's supposedly arguing for racial equality...

Shastafarian
04-30-2014, 07:58 PM
What difference does it make though?Because I think he's lying. Or he considers a particular group a minority when in fact that group is not. But hey if he comes in here and says he's african american or native america etc. I'll be less hard on his completely idiotic views.

The implications stemming from your question are quite sad and disappointing, tbh. Especially from someone who's supposedly arguing for racial equality...You're reading into them what you want then. Sorry.

SupremeGuy
04-30-2014, 08:04 PM
So basically you're admitting that you want to treat minoritys' opinions differently... you do realize that compromises any argument you were trying to have about equality, right?

/argument

Shastafarian
04-30-2014, 08:11 PM
So basically you're admitting that you want to treat minoritys' opinions differently... you do realize that compromises any argument you were trying to have about equality, right?

/argument
What are you talking about? If anything I'm elevating the opinion and thoughts of minorities. Why? Because as a minority I know what discrimination is like and wouldn't equate white cowboys AND THE WORD "BROWN" with racism or discrimination.

SupremeGuy
04-30-2014, 08:15 PM
Equality =/= elevating any opinion

Sorry you don't see that, tbh. It seems like you're part of the problem with society, instead of trying to be part of the solution.

But it's different :cry

Shastafarian
04-30-2014, 08:18 PM
Equality =/= elevating any opinion

Sorry you don't see that, tbh. It seems like you're part of the problem with society, instead of trying to be part of the solution.

But it's different :crySo you clearly don't understand the idea of perspective. You don't get how his comments have different weight depending on whether he's a white male vs. a minority?

Shastafarian
04-30-2014, 08:18 PM
Whoops forgot the tbh smh tbqh. What did I miss?

Shastafarian
04-30-2014, 08:28 PM
Either way his equating of cowboys, browns, and giants to the name "redskins" was idiotic. I was curious to see if he's actually what he claims. I'm sorry if that put your panties in a bunch.

SupremeGuy
04-30-2014, 08:29 PM
Whoops forgot the tbh smh tbqh. What did I miss?Nothing at all, bigot.

You made your opinion perfectly clear. You believe opinions should be taken differently depending on the race of the person who has said opinion. You obviously don't want equality.

Shastafarian
04-30-2014, 08:32 PM
:lol Whatever you say man tbh

dbreiden83080
04-30-2014, 08:46 PM
Who??

Embedded
05-02-2014, 11:05 AM
it would really be funny if he went in black face.
LMFAO