PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been called for jury duty?

Andy
04-28-2014, 10:17 AM
How was your experience and what are the repercussions if you don't show up?

Wild Cobra
04-28-2014, 10:36 AM
How was your experience and what are the repercussions if you don't show up?
Do you really want to find out...

I always showed up, and served on two juries.

Relevancy
04-28-2014, 10:58 AM
If you dont want to go you can just write an excuse.

The Reckoning
04-28-2014, 11:32 AM
be a conscious objector

The Reckoning
04-28-2014, 11:32 AM
i can see WC as the douche who hangs juries

Blake
04-28-2014, 11:39 AM
i can see WC as the douche who hangs juries

"sure he was holding the knife, had blood all over him and actually confessed to it, but how do we know for sure?"

xmas1997
04-28-2014, 12:38 PM
If you dont want to go you can just write an excuse.

No, you need some sort of physical evidence in writing like from a doctor to submit with the other paperwork you received in the mail.
In my case I have extremely severe sleep apnea and has caused me to be 100% disabled.
My award letter from the SSA was enough proof to disqualify me from my upcoming jury duty in June.
Just found out today.

Avante
04-28-2014, 01:38 PM
I get called in every year. And have never had to be on a jury yet.

They will ask the question..."ok, let's hear all your excuses as to why you can't be here"...once they get you all before a judge. You'll hear everything and rarely do any of them work except this one..."I have had nothing but problems with those people, do you really want me on a jury?" You will then hear..."you can go". But...about the half the time your number gets excused, the phone call the night before will tell you that.

Keep in mind everyone else has to stay so you walk out alone.

The Reckoning
04-28-2014, 03:13 PM
i've been called four times but luckily ive been out of the country every time

ColinB
04-28-2014, 03:20 PM
Only once. Used college as an excuse.

The Gemini Method
04-28-2014, 03:22 PM
I was an alternate on a murder case. They dismissed me when the prosecutor found out that I was the defendant's age and they asked if I were college educated and I nodded my head. They put me on a hit-and-run driving case (no injury) and that last 2 days and the third day we sat around and they released us on the 3rd day. Most boring case I've ever got on.

Katherine Robinson
04-28-2014, 03:24 PM
Twice, both times jury selection ended before I was called. You sit in a room and you have a ~1/4 chance of being called up and then you can either make yourself look like a good potential juror or a bad one. If you don't go or show up, you have a similar chance of facing steep fines, usually they don't care enough to dog you about it.

DD
04-28-2014, 03:25 PM
Served on an e-jury last year--was pretty cool--got paid $120 for 3 hrs of work while deliberating on the couch. It was a personal injury pee-on vs a big Corp and I argued on the side of the big bad corporation. I felt like a reverse Henry Fonda but it was great. Never served (or been summoned) for real though--and wouldn't want to if was in Miami (hate arguing with Cubans).

ashbeeigh
04-28-2014, 03:47 PM
Twice. I think I was called two times before while in college, out of the county. The first time I was one of the first panels called and was being questioned for a mental competence case, but they reteted the defendant and he was found incompetent to stand trial. Second time, late last year, never got called and hug out in the jury room all day. Bring a tablet, a well charged phone, or laptop with you if you don't want to die of boredom.

Koolaid_Man
04-28-2014, 03:48 PM
I helped convict a Mexican...not gonna lie I wanted to fuck the prosecutor and tried to introduce myself but she said she was married.

Koolaid_Man
04-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Twice. I think I was called two times before while in college, out of the county. The first time I was one of the first panels called and was being questioned for a mental competence case, but they reteted the defendant and he was found incompetent to stand trial. Second time, late last year, never got called and hug out in the jury room all day. Bring a tablet, a well charged phone, or laptop with you if you don't want to die of boredom.

I controlled the Jury room...People were madder than a muthafucker at me....but they all came to my side...I can be very convincing when I need to be...

Avante
04-28-2014, 03:51 PM
I controlled the Jury room...People were madder than a muthafucker at me....but they all came to my side...I can be very convincing when I need to be...

I can see you humping chairs and wacking off pencils.

DJR210
04-28-2014, 04:09 PM
Does the racist excuse still work? If that's the case Andy, you don't have to worry, ST is 100% racist.

Relevancy
04-28-2014, 04:44 PM
No, you need some sort of physical evidence in writing like from a doctor to submit with the other paperwork you received in the mail.
In my case I have extremely severe sleep apnea and has caused me to be 100% disabled.
My award letter from the SSA was enough proof to disqualify me from my upcoming jury duty in June.
Just found out today.i usually put that I dont speak english.

Franklin
04-28-2014, 08:10 PM
Do you really want to find out...

I always showed up, and served on two juries.
That's because the jury slots need to be spread over a wide range of people with different educational backgrounds? So they can't include only those who have college degrees but also those who don't?

Koolaid_Man
04-28-2014, 09:15 PM
I can see you humping chairs and wacking off pencils.

I helped convict a child molester

Avante
04-28-2014, 10:04 PM
I helped convict a child molester

No ya didn't and why act stupid, you know my stance on those sick fucks so why play stupid?

xmas1997
04-28-2014, 10:44 PM
i usually put that I dont speak english.

That should work quite well.
:lol

lil'mo
04-29-2014, 12:32 AM
Double murder trial. Convicted. 65 years apiece. Kids were 17 and 18 and shot their 21 yo friend. Gang related.

Koolaid_Man
04-29-2014, 12:47 AM
No ya didn't and why act stupid, you know my stance on those sick fucks so why play stupid?

reverse psychology doesn't work on me bro....

Avante

http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/flyer.do?personId=42086

The Reckoning
04-29-2014, 02:47 AM
Double murder trial. Convicted. 65 years apiece. Kids were 17 and 18 and shot their 21 yo friend. Gang related.

cold blooded.

benefactor
04-29-2014, 08:28 AM
The only one I've served on was a DWI where the guy had 4 prior felony DWI convictions and like 10 various convictions over the past 20 years. Obviously he easily qualified for the much needed genetic cleansing program, but we gave him life instead. IIRC, that gives him a mandatory 30 before he's eligible for parone and even if he gets out he never gets off of paper.