PDA

View Full Version : Pop adjustments...

ElNono
04-28-2014, 11:30 PM
:lmao

Captivus
04-28-2014, 11:33 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPB60LxgLrstzepg7iUOAVsObSUy8-xUgYayqBrEo3b-7vbXS7

Mugen
04-28-2014, 11:33 PM
:lmao "play harder"

wildchild
04-28-2014, 11:36 PM
Very disappointed....Pop should kiss Diaw's ass for last 3's and the D on Ellis in that shot. Thanks Bobo!!

Raven
04-28-2014, 11:40 PM
i love pop but i wasn't this mad at his coaching since the gooden-udoka age

Nathan89
04-28-2014, 11:43 PM
:vomit:

Spurs21Fan4Ever
04-28-2014, 11:44 PM
I liked his adjustments in the first half with the bigs stepping out to stop the guard penetration on a pick and roll, that worked well. But then he almost screwed the team over playing Beli.

jARS mEsH sEt
04-28-2014, 11:47 PM
What were you guys expecting, tbh? Like seriously what magical adjustments should Pop have obviously made for this game that he didn't do? We were up 20 at one point. What more "adjusting" is needed?

look_at_g_shred
04-28-2014, 11:50 PM
What were you guys expecting, tbh? Like seriously what magical adjustments should Pop have obviously made for this game that he didn't do? We were up 20 at one point. What more "adjusting" is needed?
Put Green on Ellis.

ElNono
04-28-2014, 11:50 PM

We're getting burned by the same plays all the time... we've played 4 games already...

- Kawhi on Monta hasn't worked
- Beli isn't showing up... keep a short leash and play Danny for some D at least
- hide Tony on Marion or somebody not named Calderon

tmtcsc
04-28-2014, 11:54 PM
You people are clueless. You're going to give Pop grief for TP's shitty play? Diaw, Splitter, Patty, TD and Manu brought their games tonight and made up for TP's shitball play. He seriously looks like Manu 2013 out there. WTF is wrong with him?

jARS mEsH sEt
04-28-2014, 11:55 PM
We held dallas to < 40% shooting tonight...

If that's "getting burned" then I'll take it.

RodNIc91
04-28-2014, 11:59 PM
Losing bud and Brett has hurt more than expected. Pop can't/won't make the simplest of adjustments.

Arcadian
04-29-2014, 12:00 AM
We won the fucking game...and game 5 is at home...we're in good shape.

ElNono
04-29-2014, 12:01 AM
You people are clueless. You're going to give Pop grief for TP's shitty play? Diaw, Splitter, Patty, TD and Manu brought their games tonight and made up for TP's shitball play. He seriously looks like Manu 2013 out there. WTF is wrong with him?

I know that's the elephant in the room, tbh... but we need to trim at the edges too... Beli is unplayable this series... Danny isn't far off, but at least he can contest a jumper...

jARS mEsH sEt
04-29-2014, 12:02 AM
Losing bud and Brett has hurt more than expected. Pop can't/won't make the simplest of adjustments.

Get this armchair NBA coach on the spurs staff, tbh. He'll show those amateurs what's up.

:lmao
:rollin

Malik Hairston
04-29-2014, 12:02 AM
Only problem I had with Pop tonight was Belinelli playing too much and having him guard Vince Carter again, he's been getting destroyed all series..

Nathan89
04-29-2014, 12:03 AM
Put Green on Ellis.

Green isn't allowed to play because he's trash on offense.

siraulo23
04-29-2014, 12:03 AM
disagree

i liked how the spurs defended the mavs' pick and rolls, they did a pretty good job on ellis, and the guards in general fought hard not going under every single time

unfortunately sas shit the bed in the 2nd half offensively (credit dallas defense as well) and gave dallas some momentum

SanDiegoSpursFan
04-29-2014, 12:04 AM
There's nothing Pop can do about TP. He simply gets shut down by anyone taller than 6'5.

HI-FI
04-29-2014, 12:04 AM
I give Pop props for pulling Parker during that 4th, putting Patty back in. I wish he would've kept Parker out but I can understand trusting him because of the seniority. Still least he saw how shitty Parker was out there.

Nathan89
04-29-2014, 12:05 AM
Not sure why Green doesn't get screens set for him on offense to get him open. Coach Bud does it with Korver. I guarantee Bud would let Green just stand there or try to create for himself(which he did unsuccessfully a couple times tonight).

Trill Clinton
04-29-2014, 12:06 AM
that 3rd quarter didn't make no damn sense. waaaaay too much beli.

DPG21920
04-29-2014, 12:06 AM
I had a problem with Pop gambling with "rest" because he had a lead. You can't do that as much as he did in a game you have to win when your offense has been shaky and the energy is not playoff level. Continuing to yo-yo Danny in favor of Beli is another huge issue.

The team not being prepared to play hard for more than 1.5 quarters is also an issue. Why aren't they prepared? It's mostly on the players, but Pop is not doing the Spurs any favors.

look_at_g_shred
04-29-2014, 12:07 AM
Green isn't allowed to play because he's trash on offense.
Yeah and that's why we're having trouble stopping the one play they kill is on over and over again. Kawhi has trouble with quicker guards. Green is adept at staying in front of pg's. D over O any day bruh!

jARS mEsH sEt
04-29-2014, 12:08 AM
I had a problem with Pop gambling with "rest" because he had a lead. You can't do that as much as he did in a game you have to win when your offense has been shaky and the energy is not playoff level. Continuing to yo-yo Danny in favor of Beli is another huge issue.

The team not being prepared to play hard for more than 1.5 quarters is also an issue. Why aren't they prepared? It's mostly on the players, but Pop is not doing the Spurs any favors.

See I wasn't even sure if he was resting Tony or if he was just pissed with him for some reason and rolling with Manu for the time being...

jARS mEsH sEt
04-29-2014, 12:08 AM
Like, obviously Pop didn't keep Tony out of the final minutes of game 3 to just "rest" him. Tony was pissed during the postgame as well. It was pretty obvious.

DAF86
04-29-2014, 12:09 AM
Only problem I had with Pop tonight was Belinelli playing too much and having him guard Vince Carter again, he's been getting destroyed all series..

They're still going over the screen on the Ellis pick and roll, tbh.

Nathan89
04-29-2014, 12:10 AM
Yeah and that's why we're having trouble stopping the one play they kill is on over and over again. Kawhi has trouble with quicker guards. Green is adept at staying in front of pg's. D over O any day bruh!

With the way he plays on O he'll need to completely shut him down.

look_at_g_shred
04-29-2014, 12:12 AM
With the way he plays on O he'll need to completely shut him down.
As long as he makes Ellis give the ball up and make someone else a playmaker, I'll take it.

TE
04-29-2014, 12:20 AM
tbh it hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread but the Mavs going to a zone stalled the Spurs for awhile...the Spurs would try and dump it down to TD but he just didn't have it in some possessions.

Budkin
04-29-2014, 12:33 AM
The Spurs looked like the Spurs tonight. Except when they didn't.

UZER
04-29-2014, 12:37 AM
Like, obviously Pop didn't keep Tony out of the final minutes of game 3 to just "rest" him. Tony was pissed during the postgame as well. It was pretty obvious.

He needs to be pissed at himself for his shitty play.

Kawhi should not be on Ellis unless he's gonna extend his d and harass him beyond the three point like he did the last few possessions. He's giving him too much space. His long arms need to be poking at the ball.

heyheymymy
04-29-2014, 12:47 AM
gotta run screen plays to get mills, green, and beli shots.

T Park
04-29-2014, 01:27 AM

Sprained ankles and injured backs and good defense. But hey, memes and agendas are way more fun.

ElNono
04-29-2014, 01:47 AM
This thread was actually more aimed at the fact that after days and pages of discussions about proverbial adjustments, Pop basically rolled with the same shit... same rotations, same guys, same coverage...

Pop is like that though, he'll roll with what brought him here....

RodNIc91
04-29-2014, 06:41 AM
This thread was actually more aimed at the fact that after days and pages of discussions about proverbial adjustments, Pop basically rolled with the same shit... same rotations, same guys, same coverage...

Personally the only problem I've got is what you mentioned earlier. Why hasn't he switched Kawhi to someone else beside Ellis?? It' not working at all IMO. Switch him to Carter and let him create havoc in the passing lanes. Besides that I think he's done some subtle changes that have worked. For instance he's got Tiago more involved offensively by running more pick n roll and some post ups to keep him aggressive.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-29-2014, 06:44 AM
Personally the only problem I've got is what you mentioned earlier. Why hasn't he switched Kawhi to someone else beside Ellis?? It' not working at all IMO. Switch him to Carter and let him create havoc in the passing lanes. Besides that I think he's done some subtle changes that have worked. For instance he's got Tiago more involved offensively by running more pick n roll and some post ups to keep him aggressive.

6-20 shooting and 4 turnovers. I would say that it worked.

baseline bum
04-29-2014, 07:21 AM
None of this matters when Parker looks like he's completely out of gas. The Spurs might pull this series out still, but they're going nowhere with Parker looking 60-70%. Look at how Miami looked when Wade was similarly worn down last year, and they have fucking LeBron.

therealtruth
04-29-2014, 07:25 AM

He's playing a dangerous game by just hoping they will play harder because I'm not sure the Spurs are confident his defensive gameplan fully works.

elemento
04-29-2014, 07:26 AM
Even though I think RC is doing a better job this series, Pop can't be blamed for some guys playing like shit, especially Belineli and Green. They just need to hit the shots that they usually do and SA will be fine.

tmtcsc
04-29-2014, 07:58 AM
Sprained ankles and injured backs and good defense. But hey, memes and agendas are way more fun.

What meme? What agenda? I want the guy to succeed. Do you think he's staying quiet because he's injured and doesn't want to make excuses? He's definitely not right. When he's on, he's on and at the very least puts the defense on their heels with his speed and ability to get in the lane. Pulling up on a fast break with no one in front of him was mind boggling.

pgardn
04-29-2014, 08:14 AM
We actually looked like the regular season Spurs last night for a quarter or so.
So I am going to convince myself we are able to play good basketball.

But on some possessions we looked worse than ever. Tony throwing the ball all over, Duncan taking some really bad shots. Green shooting dribble moving jumpers that have no chance of going in... Things we did not see often in the regular season.

Patty and Tony on that co-rebound really says a lot about Parker's mental state. If this pouting-injury-tenderness? continues we are in trouble, big trouble.

pgardn
04-29-2014, 08:19 AM

He has left Parker out for extended periods. Parker's penetration is most of what got us 60 wins. He is not rolling with Parker when he goes into a funk. Which is now often. Parker won the first game of the series. Half of Duncan's 1st game points were off easy Tony set ups.

Budkin
04-29-2014, 09:51 AM
We actually looked like the regular season Spurs last night for a quarter or so.
So I am going to convince myself we are able to play good basketball.

But on some possessions we looked worse than ever. Tony throwing the ball all over, Duncan taking some really bad shots. Green shooting dribble moving jumpers that have no chance of going in... Things we did not see often in the regular season.

Patty and Tony on that co-rebound really says a lot about Parker's mental state. If this pouting-injury-tenderness? continues we are in trouble, big trouble.

The one play that really bugged the crap out of me was during our collapse when Kawhi drove straight towards the basket and drew the defense and then shuffled it over to Tim who was not paying attention and bobbled the ball away for a TO. Listening to SA sports radio yesterday I think 1250 someone made a good point that for the last couple of years the Spurs have gotten used to using the first round as a tuneup but are finding that they have an actual opponent this year that is not letting them do that.

DesignatedT
04-29-2014, 09:58 AM
As far as Danny goes, he took a couple awful shots but I can't blame him for trying to get involved. As far as Tony goes, he either needs to man the fuck up or pass the ball. Enough dribble dribble soft ass move for a contested jumper.

And Duncan, well Duncan is trying to save his season because Tony isn't doing him any favors.

Kawhi still needs the ball a lot more. But even he needs to stop settling for contested jumpers and go to the rim.

Malice
04-29-2014, 10:19 AM

This is my point. Spurs are the f'n 1 seed. You dont make adjustments to a freaking 8 seed.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-29-2014, 10:27 AM
A positive of this game was seeing Kawhi and Duncan log nearly 40 minutes. Was sick of these dumb RS rotations. That won't fly in the playoffs.

Darius McCrary
04-29-2014, 10:35 AM
None of this matters when Parker looks like he's completely out of gas. The Spurs might pull this series out still, but they're going nowhere with Parker looking 60-70%. Look at how Miami looked when Wade was similarly worn down last year, and they have fucking LeBron.
This.

Brazil
04-29-2014, 10:44 AM
:lol

I did not check spurstalk since yesterday.. seeing the first page I could have swore we lost game 4 which does not compute since we won...

holy fuck spurs fans.... what a mess

DPG21920
04-29-2014, 10:57 AM
:lol

I did not check spurstalk since yesterday.. seeing the first page I could have swore we lost game 4 which does not compute since we won...

holy fuck spurs fans.... what a mess

In fairness, in a must win game against a clearly inferior opponent not only did the Spurs come out flat, but they lost 3 of 4 quarters..

jag
04-29-2014, 11:26 AM
We're getting burned by the same plays all the time... we've played 4 games already...

- Kawhi on Monta hasn't worked
- Beli isn't showing up... keep a short leash and play Danny for some D at least
- hide Tony on Marion or somebody not named Calderon

This is incredibly oversimplifying things. Monta shot 6-20. I'm not sure if people are paying attention to the way Dallas is using Monta and what, if any, changes actually need to be made.

Of Monta's 20 FGA, Kawhi only defended on 6. Monta made two of those shots. Manu defended Monta more than anyone else - Ellis had 8 shots while defended by Manu and made 2.

Kawhi only made one legitimately poor play while defending Monta in the half-court set. He took a bad angle, anticipating a PnR and allowed Monta an open lane to the basket. There were two plays where Monta got wide open in transition as a result of miscommunication by Green/Kawhi. That's just something the Spurs need to clean up.

In the half-court set, the Mavs are running Monta off a screen every time he has the ball. He's not going 1on1 with anyone. If Splitter and Diaw are in the game, they can both do a good job of hedging or making the switch to contest a jumper. When Duncan is in the game, the Spurs are at the mercy of the jumpshooters because Tim isn't going to step out on the PnR.

The only adjustment that needs to be made with Monta is to make sure that Splitter/Duncan/Diaw step up to contest Ellis on the PnR if he decides to drive into the paint - If Dalembert is the screener, and Monta decides to drive, then Duncan/Splitter need to force Monta to pass to Dalembert as the roll man. If Dirk is the screener then it's a little more complicated and it the defensive rotations depend on who else in on the floor. Ultimately they need to keep Ellis out of the paint on the PnR.

With Calderon, Parker just needs to keep going over the screen and bothering Calderon from behind, forcing him to drive. Basically the opposite of Ellis. I watched it again and Parker wasn't as bad as I initially thought. He's doing a decent job fighting through the screens. Where he sometimes messes up is missing a rotation or giving to much space to Calderon off the ball. I still think Green is a better option for Calderon, and even though they would still run him off screens, I think Green's length would bother him.

jag
04-29-2014, 11:28 AM
For the most part, other than giving Green all of Beli's minutes, I'm not sure what adjustments Pop can/needs to make.

ElNono
04-29-2014, 11:34 AM
This is incredibly oversimplifying things. Monta shot 6-20. I'm not sure if people are paying attention to the way Dallas is using Monta and what, if any, changes actually need to be made.

Of Monta's 20 FGA, Kawhi only defended on 6. Monta made two of those shots. Manu defended Monta more than anyone else - Ellis had 8 shots while defended by Manu and made 2.

Kawhi only made one legitimately poor play while defending Monta in the half-court set. He took a bad angle, anticipating a PnR and allowed Monta an open lane to the basket. There were two plays where Monta got wide open in transition as a result of miscommunication by Green/Kawhi. That's just something the Spurs need to clean up.

In the half-court set, the Mavs are running Monta off a screen every time he has the ball. He's not going 1on1 with anyone. If Splitter and Diaw are in the game, they can both do a good job of hedging or making the switch to contest a jumper. When Duncan is in the game, the Spurs are at the mercy of the jumpshooters because Tim isn't going to step out on the PnR.

The only adjustment that needs to be made with Monta is to make sure that Splitter/Duncan/Diaw step up to contest Ellis on the PnR if he decides to drive into the paint - If Dalembert is the screener, and Monta decides to drive, then Duncan/Splitter need to force Monta to pass to Dalembert as the roll man. If Dirk is the screener then it's a little more complicated and it the defensive rotations depend on who else in on the floor. Ultimately they need to keep Ellis out of the paint on the PnR.

With Calderon, Parker just needs to keep going over the screen and bothering Calderon from behind, forcing him to drive. Basically the opposite of Ellis. I watched it again and Parker wasn't as bad as I initially thought. He's doing a decent job fighting through the screens. Where he sometimes messes up is missing a rotation or giving to much space to Calderon off the ball. I still think Green is a better option for Calderon, and even though they would still run him off screens, I think Green's length would bother him.

I actually agree with all that, and I think that's actually why Kawhi (or anybody else) isn't really working on Monta... he's doing the biggest damage from handoffs off a screen, and the job there isn't on his defender, but the big covering the screener.
My comment had nothing to do with knocking on Kawhi, but the fact that I rather have Kawhi helping Tim secure rebounds (something he's been struggling with when Dalembert is out there), and disrupting passing lanes.

The Calderon thing at this point I think has more to do with Calderon feeling extremely confident that he can shoot whenever Tony is covering him than anything else. Sometimes, you have to change the looks. I thought Patty hustled a lot when guarding him but didn't really do anything that much different than Tony does.

Brazil
04-29-2014, 11:52 AM
In fairness, in a must win game against a clearly inferior opponent not only did the Spurs come out flat, but they lost 3 of 4 quarters..

I don't disagree with that but the cliff jumping threads are off the chart and most of them are fucking stupid

The silver lining of a Spurs potential loss on round 1 would be Spurs fans cleaning... this fanbase is becoming one of the worst of the entire nba... that speaks volume

vander
04-29-2014, 12:17 PM
I don't disagree with that but the cliff jumping threads are off the chart and most of them are fucking stupid

The silver lining of a Spurs potential loss on round 1 would be Spurs fans cleaning... this fanbase is becoming one of the worst of the entire nba... that speaks volume

no, fans of winning > fans of 'whatever' > fans of manu

Expert
04-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Tony already won the MVP. He doesn't get why he's still out there. Beli doesn't become effective until he's left alone beyond the arc, and cannot get into the passing game with Manu unless Dallas allows it. Spurs were right to go inside a few times, but Splitter went one on one too many times and Dallas hit some flukey, heavily contested shots. It happens, but Spurs won and no one will remember why by the middle of the playoffs.

Expert
04-29-2014, 12:25 PM
no, fans of winning > fans of 'whatever' > fans of manu

Then those fans of winning will just move with the buffalo... cheering whomever wins. I'm a fan of the game. I just want good basketball, and though I have my favorites, I'd rather see a good series than just watch slop ball for 4 quarters against a low level Jazz type team or an injured Lakers or Clippers team.

ElNono
04-29-2014, 12:26 PM
:lol "fans of winning"... just call it by it's name: frontrunners...

DPG21920
04-29-2014, 01:46 PM

You must not frequent any other NBA arenas, cities or fan boards. Spurs fans are no where near the worst.

poeticism707
04-29-2014, 06:24 PM

LOL, Beli guarding VC!

Beli is years younger, and still couldn't guard VC's shadow.

poeticism707
04-29-2014, 06:32 PM
i love pop but i wasn't this mad at his coaching since the gooden-udoka age

:rollin:rollin:rollin

Talk about Spurs dark age...

Brazil
04-29-2014, 09:28 PM
You must not frequent any other NBA arenas, cities or fan boards. Spurs fans are no where near the worst.

Based on ST sample ya that's becoming the worst

DPG21920
04-29-2014, 09:29 PM
Based on ST sample ya that's becoming the worst

Go to any other board. Your opinion will change.

Brazil
04-29-2014, 09:36 PM
Go to any other board. Your opinion will change.

Maybe you are right. I don't have a wide American experience but this fan base is becoming worst and worst. I'm starting to getting tired to read so many dumb posts...

Brazil
04-29-2014, 09:41 PM
If you don't like it, Frenchy, you KEN GITTTT OUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Look at this little fucker... :cry stop the nazi trolls :cry

gilmor
04-29-2014, 10:44 PM
I'd hope I am wrong but I think Spurs will lose Game 5..

peacemaker885
04-29-2014, 10:47 PM

We all hope you are wrong.

heyheymymy
04-30-2014, 08:31 AM
Listening to SA sports radio yesterday I think 1250 someone made a good point that for the last couple of years the Spurs have gotten used to using the first round as a tuneup but are finding that they have an actual opponent this year that is not letting them do that.

but i think a tough first round can be a better tune up than a hapless jazz or lakers team, provided the opportunity is used to improve. mavs may've ended up doing SA a favor if spurs are lucky enough to advance and don't get blindsided by a ready POR or HOU team. maybe we struggled in the 12 and 13 playoffs because UTH and LAC were swept cupcakes so OKC caught us off guard and the struggles in the GSW semis series in 13 may have been because spurs never fully awoke from the LAL sweep.

suffice it to say, if the spurs advance, they will have been tested early and often from this mavs series, and it may benefit them greatly.

Budkin
04-30-2014, 09:40 AM
but i think a tough first round can be a better tune up than a hapless jazz or lakers team, provided the opportunity is used to improve. mavs may've ended up doing SA a favor if spurs are lucky enough to advance and don't get blindsided by a ready POR or HOU team. maybe we struggled in the 12 and 13 playoffs because UTH and LAC were swept cupcakes so OKC caught us off guard and the struggles in the GSW semis series in 13 may have been because spurs never fully awoke from the LAL sweep.

suffice it to say, if the spurs advance, they will have been tested early and often from this mavs series, and it may benefit them greatly.

Feel the same. Let's just hope that we can get by the Mavs (never thought I'd be saying that).

Brazil
04-30-2014, 10:18 AM
sorry my country didn't open the bedroom doors and let the nazis in to impregnate our women with their superior aryan seed

great come back tbh

:lol pinked
:lol :cry stop the trolls :cry
:lol hemmann
:lol irony if you don't like it, leave
:lol still a lot of nazi trolls and you are still here

Spur|n|Austin
04-30-2014, 11:04 AM

Just a hunch?

look_at_g_shred
04-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Green on Ellis. Please. Even if there's no adjustment made, we need to make the mavs a one a done team. Cleaning up the glass is probably the single most important aspect of securing a win against the mavs. We're gonna make shots; they're gonna make shots. We just have to get them out of their comfort zones and rebound.