PDA

View Full Version : I told you this was going to happen and why

GSH
04-29-2014, 12:25 AM
I told you exactly what was going to happen, and why. The post-season is a completely different sport, played under a totally different set of rules.

Here's the most important stat of the night, and for the rest of the Spurs' playoffs. As I write this, the Spurs have committed 17 personal fouls, and the Mavs have committed 18 personal fouls. But the Spurs have only shot 9 free throws, compared to 23 for the Mavs. And it has nothing to do with the refs not calling the game evenly. The game plan for Dallas has been to hack the Spurs at every opportunity, to throw them out of their offensive rhythm. They aren't fouling guys when they are shooting - they are fouling them out on the floor before they even think about shooting. And it's taken away everything the Spurs do to create offense. They know that they can get away with a level of contact that would never work during the regular season. And they would be stupid not to take advantage of it. Count on every team doing the same thing, if the Spurs do get past the first round. And it will work for them, too.

It's not a matter of the foul calls being uneven. They aren't uneven. It's the league's philosophy to call the post-season differently, and it affects the Spurs' style of play more than pretty much any other team in the playoffs. All that famous "ball movement" is no longer possible, because guys are being held up and bumped off their routes. And the Spurs are totally dependent on the motion and timing. Bottom line, the playoffs are built for hero ball, and the Spurs aren't worth a shit at that.

Another way of looking at it is that the Mavs are playing playoff style basketball, and the Spurs aren't. And the Mavs have a number of players that are just much better at playing hero ball.

I told you exactly what was going to happen and why, and the usual cast of dumb shit commenters came on to do anything to keep from discussing basketball. If you're bitching about the officiating - quit. It's not a conspiracy against the Spurs, and it's not going to change. Just know that you wasted those first 82 games, and lost a lot of sleep for nothing. Because that sport is over for the year. And you're watching a team that isn't built for this sport. All the ignorant comments in the world aren't going to change that.

The Spurs survived this game (but only because Ellis just plain bricked a lay-up.) They may even survive the first round. But their motion offense doesn't work in this (post-season) sport. And there is no doubt that every team knows how to take advantage. Pay close attention. It isn't the contact while the Spurs are shooting that are kiling them. It's the contact off the ball that destroys their offensive flow. And that's the way this sport is played. To me, it's not basketball anymore. I'm a shameless addict, I guess, because I'm watching some of the post-season. But it all looks like a fucking rugby scrum.

superjames1992
04-29-2014, 12:26 AM
Well, I mean, our supposedly non-playoff style basketball worked fine last year, tbh.....

jkid12456
04-29-2014, 12:27 AM
i agree 100%, but what you think patty hero balling from now on?

DD
04-29-2014, 12:36 AM
You've already exceeded your quota of "I'm done with the NBA threads this year. See you in 2015 when you pull this shit AGAIN

Malik Hairston
04-29-2014, 12:42 AM
You've already exceeded your quota of "I'm done with the NBA threads this year. See you in 2015 when you pull this shit AGAIN

:lol..

For those that are unfortunate enough to have clicked on this thread, I'll make it worth it for you niggas, tbh..

http://i.imgur.com/6B09ZCP.jpg

xellos88330
04-29-2014, 12:43 AM
I somewhat agree with the OP. The Spurs are indeed being forced into a more individual game by the Mavericks. This is why I would like to see Manu Ginobili start in place of Danny Green. The Mavs have been able to jump on the Spurs the past couple of games and the firepower from the bench "Manu" has been required to dig the Spurs out of it. If the Spurs were to start Manu, then it could make the Mavs offense be less effective because their defense has a difficult time stopping Manu. I am not saying that the Mavs offense will be worse, but instead it would be matched. It seems that the Mavs are completely dependent upon momentum to initiate the offense and Manu has been able to pretty much do what he wants offensively. Take away the momentum, and the Mavs will crumble. I am not being paid millions to be a coach or analyst, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I personally believe that Manu, not Parker, is the key to this series.

SpursFan86
04-29-2014, 12:44 AM
:lol..

For those that are unfortunate enough to have clicked on this thread, I'll make it worth it for you niggas, tbh..

http://i.imgur.com/6B09ZCP.jpg

Mia Malkova is fine as hell tbh...

HI-FI
04-29-2014, 12:45 AM
I always forget that Mia Malkova's name :bang

DAF86
04-29-2014, 12:48 AM
I told you exactly what was going to happen, and why. The post-season is a completely different sport, played under a totally different set of rules.

Here's the most important stat of the night, and for the rest of the Spurs' playoffs. As I write this, the Spurs have committed 17 personal fouls, and the Mavs have committed 18 personal fouls. But the Spurs have only shot 9 free throws, compared to 23 for the Mavs. And it has nothing to do with the refs not calling the game evenly. The game plan for Dallas has been to hack the Spurs at every opportunity, to throw them out of their offensive rhythm. They aren't fouling guys when they are shooting - they are fouling them out on the floor before they even think about shooting. And it's taken away everything the Spurs do to create offense. They know that they can get away with a level of contact that would never work during the regular season. And they would be stupid not to take advantage of it. Count on every team doing the same thing, if the Spurs do get past the first round. And it will work for them, too.

It's not a matter of the foul calls being uneven. They aren't uneven. It's the league's philosophy to call the post-season differently, and it affects the Spurs' style of play more than pretty much any other team in the playoffs. All that famous "ball movement" is no longer possible, because guys are being held up and bumped off their routes. And the Spurs are totally dependent on the motion and timing. Bottom line, the playoffs are built for hero ball, and the Spurs aren't worth a shit at that.

Another way of looking at it is that the Mavs are playing playoff style basketball, and the Spurs aren't. And the Mavs have a number of players that are just much better at playing hero ball.

I told you exactly what was going to happen and why, and the usual cast of dumb shit commenters came on to do anything to keep from discussing basketball. If you're bitching about the officiating - quit. It's not a conspiracy against the Spurs, and it's not going to change. Just know that you wasted those first 82 games, and lost a lot of sleep for nothing. Because that sport is over for the year. And you're watching a team that isn't built for this sport. All the ignorant comments in the world aren't going to change that.

The Spurs survived this game (but only because Ellis just plain bricked a lay-up.) They may even survive the first round. But their motion offense doesn't work in this (post-season) sport. And there is no doubt that every team knows how to take advantage. Pay close attention. It isn't the contact while the Spurs are shooting that are kiling them. It's the contact off the ball that destroys their offensive flow. And that's the way this sport is played. To me, it's not basketball anymore. I'm a shameless addict, I guess, because I'm watching some of the post-season. But it all looks like a fucking rugby scrum.

Cool, how did they make it so far the last two playoffs then?

The Reckoning
04-29-2014, 12:58 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232132&p=7284035#post7284035

Sean Cagney
04-29-2014, 01:02 AM
i agree 100%, but what you think patty hero balling from now on?

MY GOD STFU already, a decent game from him and now you finally show up again.

jkid12456
04-29-2014, 01:03 AM
MY GOD STFU already, a decent game from him and now you finally show up again.

u need to come to my church and be blessed by pattys sweat

Darius McCrary
04-29-2014, 01:07 AM

Good stuff, man.

RD2191
04-29-2014, 01:09 AM
Well lets hope Terry Stotts isn't reading this.

FkLA
04-29-2014, 01:11 AM
Two weeks ago:

Maybe I'll drop back in a year or so, to see you guys still starting threads like:

Which former Spur player would you like to see on the current team?
If you had a time machine and a really strong laser pointer, how many Championships would the Spurs have today?
Which Marvel Comics hero do you think is most like Manu?
I'm not gay, but if I was I'd fuck Tony. Which current Spur player would you fuck?

Have a good playoffs - enjoy your swill. :whine

:bike:

cjw
04-29-2014, 01:11 AM
As much as we cry about Joey Crawford, he's the exact remedy for this - calling marginal hacks and holds

MultiTroll
04-29-2014, 01:15 AM
It's not a matter of the foul calls being uneven. They aren't uneven.
Oh but they are.
NoBitchsky continues to get his Kobme Jr pampering while Duncan gets jobbed.
Utter bullshit that has been going on since back in 2006 when these teams play.

Otherwise i agree with much of your post.

Sean Cagney
04-29-2014, 01:17 AM
u need to come to my church and be blessed by pattys sweat
NO..... Thats all.