PDA

View Full Version : Last Play: Ellis fouled by Diaw but no call

tmtcsc
04-29-2014, 12:06 PM
I haven't seen any mention of this yet but we were fortunate for a no-call on Dallas' last layup attempt. Diaw clearly hit Ellis' head on the layup. Hell, Ellis didn't even complain about it and neither has anyone else. I'll take it and there were probably no-calls in Dallas' favor but not at such a crucial juncture in the game.

Leetonidas
04-29-2014, 12:08 PM
Refs usually don't call anything in those sequences unless it's a vicious foul. Not surprised

ElNono
04-29-2014, 12:09 PM
I haven't seen any mention of this yet but we were fortunate for a no-call on Dallas' last layup attempt. Diaw clearly hit Ellis' head on the layup. Hell, Ellis didn't even complain about it and neither has anyone else. I'll take it and there were probably no-calls in Dallas' favor but not at such a crucial juncture in the game.

Ellis has been:
1) Traveling on almost every start of a drive
2) Getting moving screens from Dalembert on the regular
3) Bailed out with iffy whistle every time he barrels aimlessly towards the rim

The Spurs have gotten their share of calls too, so I won't beef about the refs. But some of the above have been happening almost all series.

bklynspursfan
04-29-2014, 12:10 PM
they gave Ellis that and 1 when it could've very easily been a charge like they've called on Kawhi several times. I think that came at an equally crucial moment.

Not to mention he travels a lot which they've called on Patty/Diaw but not him. I've seen Pop yelling at the officials telling them to call it on the other end too.

Mugen
04-29-2014, 12:12 PM
:lol that dummy already got a freebie when he hit Manu on the And 1, not to mention his And 1 against Boris in Game 3. Dejuan was allowed to hack Duncan throughout the 4th, Dalembert got away with moving screens that KG would be jealous of, and Dirk had numerous offensive fouls that weren't called.....fuck the Mavs tbh....

tmtcsc
04-29-2014, 12:14 PM
they gave Ellis that and 1 when it could've very easily been a charge like they've called on Kawhi several times. I think that came at an equally crucial moment.

Very true.

Beaverfuzz
04-29-2014, 12:20 PM
Wah Wah Wah.

Expert
04-29-2014, 12:32 PM
Dirk fouled Manu on one of those early drives to the left side of the rim, with a reach in slap across the forearm and there was no call, but on the ensuing possession Diaw gets called for a touch foul on Dirk when Diaw never made contact. Refs watch reactions, they don't have the benefit of replay on fouls like we do. If a player reacts in a way that verifies contact, often it will be called, unless that player does it on every trip down the floor.

With all the flopping and flailing of arms it's amazing any calls are made correctly the 1st time.

DesignatedT
04-29-2014, 12:33 PM
lol

Expert
04-29-2014, 12:35 PM

Not to mention he travels a lot which they've called on Patty/Diaw but not him. I've seen Pop yelling at the officials telling them to call it on the other end too.

I think that charge on Leonard was more about the elbow than the body contact. Kawhi doesn't need to swing through like that in that situation. It was a good defensive stance by Ellis but Leonard could have side stepped him. He started his eurostep move too far out.

DarrinS
04-29-2014, 12:35 PM
Shot almost went in, too

Malik Hairston
04-29-2014, 12:37 PM
Dirk fouled Manu on one of those early drives to the left side of the rim, with a reach in slap across the forearm and there was no call, but on the ensuing possession Diaw gets called for a touch foul on Dirk when Diaw never made contact. Refs watch reactions, they don't have the benefit of replay on fouls like we do. If a player reacts in a way that verifies contact, often it will be called, unless that player does it on every trip down the floor.

With all the flopping and flailing of arms it's amazing any calls are made correctly the 1st time.

IIRC, that foul on Dirk would have been his 5th, too..

And ya, NBA refs are amazingly good, tbh, despite the many poor performances from them..

Horse
04-29-2014, 12:37 PM
Yeah I'm seeing more and more what a dirty bitch dirk is with the shoving and the elbows.

Expert
04-29-2014, 12:41 PM
Yeah I'm seeing more and more what a dirty bitch dirk is with the shoving and the elbows.

You're not going to get anywhere in the post season playing soft. Dirk is a class act, he just knows where he's at and has learned he has to behave that way in order to gain an advantage.

Seventyniner
04-29-2014, 12:42 PM
I say it balances out that phantom foul on Diaw that let Ellis tie game 3 at 102. The replay showed no contact at all.

bklynspursfan
04-29-2014, 12:44 PM
I think that charge on Leonard was more about the elbow than the body contact. Kawhi doesn't need to swing through like that in that situation. It was a good defensive stance by Ellis but Leonard could have side stepped him. He started his eurostep move too far out.

Totally agree I think Leonard needs to incorporate that in his game, or the spin move a la TP. But I also think Manu caught an elbow to the face on that play too, which is why I brought up that comparison.

Aztecfan03
04-29-2014, 12:47 PM

If you are talking about the foul on Manu, that was most definitely not a charge.

Expert
04-29-2014, 12:55 PM
Totally agree I think Leonard needs to incorporate that in his game, or the spin move a la TP. But I also think Manu caught an elbow to the face on that play too, which is why I brought up that comparison.
But Manu was moving. Refs seem to ignore who initiates the contact as long as a player with the ball is moving toward the rim. The foul on Diaw in the same situation last game was wrong, Diaw just held his ground and did not reach, and Ellis uses his elbow to create space and initiated the contact, but Diaw gets called for a foul. It's impossible to defend if you cannot move to the rim with the guy who's penetrating.

elbamba
04-29-2014, 01:02 PM
Ellis was the beneficiary of two and 1 plays in games 3 and 4 in the close-out minutes of the game. Manu had similar drives with the same contact on each play prior to Ellis and did not get the calls. I can live with a missed call in that situation.

smaka
04-29-2014, 01:11 PM
You're not going to get anywhere in the post season playing soft. Dirk is a class act, he just knows where he's at and has learned he has to behave that way in order to gain an advantage.

Yeah but that's illegal gain of advantage. Watch the replay, he was showing Tiago many times, elbowed others etc. There is a difference between playing hard and playing dirty.

Expert
04-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Yeah but that's illegal gain of advantage. Watch the replay, he was showing Tiago many times, elbowed others etc. There is a difference between playing hard and playing dirty.

It's a thin line and players knowingly cross it and force the officials to make the call. Sometimes that's the difference in the game between two teams, which one brings more "nasty", as Pop likes to call it.

smaka
04-29-2014, 01:21 PM
It's a thin line and players knowingly cross it and force the officials to make the call. Sometimes that's the difference in the game between two teams, which one brings more "nasty", as Pop likes to call it.

I know, I know, but if it was somebody else doing it, not Dirk, at least one foul would be called 100%.

rjv
04-29-2014, 01:36 PM
several bogus calls against splitter last night. he was having a great game despite the foul trouble.

Obstructed_View
04-29-2014, 01:49 PM
If you are talking about the foul on Manu, that was most definitely not a charge.

And he traveled.

littlecoyotecoin
04-29-2014, 02:58 PM
With all due respect valued contributor:

Brendan Wright held Timmy down with his left while showing block attempt with his right in a previous game...

Ellis travels and charges more than he's called. As mentioned, Patty sure gets called for it, et al.

Vince Carter maybe got a couple extra tenths of a second on his three in game three, and possibly traveled, as well.

I think Dallas is getting MORE than their fair share of calls.

Fisher absolutely absolutely got a couple extra tenths of a second.

http://thenullhypodermic.blogspot.com/2009/06/infamous-fisher-04-shot.html?m=1

And, Jordan pushed off on Russell's hip so hard he pushed him out of the play, off-balance, and stumbling to the ground..."veteran move" I think Chris Webber would call it. Of course, the rule book calls it a foul.

With all the no call fouls that the Spurs endure while getting called for ticky tack stuff, the disparity in the game in question, specifically, the man-handling of every Spurs ball-handler vs. the Thunder in our four losses in a row in their previous playoff meeting, the list goes on and on. This no-call you speak of doesn't probably even make the top 1000 list of most egregious no calls in basketball, evidenced by the fact that Ellis even chalked it up to "incidental contact" by way of his reaction, or lack thereof, as well the lack from almost every other possible source. If we play it up, and get Mavs fans in a frothy boil over it, it might break top 500. Just my guess.

And, in games that are decided with such small margin, every call at every moment during the game has great importance, only nostalgia makes the ones at the end seem more relevant. Heck, even games decided by large margins can be swayed toward those large margins with no calls mid-game...stopping runs, swinging momentum, fostering confidence in a team's being able to guard more "aggressively" (read:illegally) with no fear of penalty...

I don't think this no-call was out of the ordinary or will have any sort of shelf-life.

tp2021
04-29-2014, 03:09 PM
The non-call that had me surprised was on the play where Kawhi blew past Ellis baseline and layed it straight into the hoop. Ellis pushes Kawhi, two-handed, full extension, right in his side/back to make him go out of bounds, which is probably why he layed it up under the basket instead of dunking it. Kawhi then turns and looks at the ref in disbelief since the foul happened RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM. What else could he have been looking at??? Thank you based god that he finished the play anyways, but gotdayum.

Malik Hairston
04-29-2014, 03:11 PM
The non-call that had me surprised was on the play where Kawhi blew past Ellis baseline and layed it straight into the hoop. Ellis pushes Kawhi, two-handed, full extension, right in his side/back to make him go out of bounds, which is probably why he layed it up under the basket instead of dunking it. Kawhi then turns and looks at the ref in disbelief since the foul happened RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM. What else could he have been looking at??? Thank you based god that he finished the play anyways, but gotdayum.

Leonard and Splitter get disrespected by refs more than any other Spurs that I can remember, tbh:lol..

KaiRMD1
04-29-2014, 03:57 PM
With the murder Ellis has been getting away with these series, no, just flat out no

Budkin
04-29-2014, 04:50 PM
With the murder Ellis has been getting away with these series, no, just flat out no

Like that bullshit and-one at the end of the game where he practically elbowed Manu in the head on the way to the basket.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
04-29-2014, 05:00 PM
Hopefully the refs for the game in San Antonio aren't gay enough to let Dirk and Ellis suck them off. They are in love with those two and Vince Carter too. Elbows, travels, and moving screens like crazy and none called yet. I've never seen a team set more moving screens than Dallas.

blizz
04-29-2014, 05:01 PM
Dirk should have fouled out last night. They refuse to call anything on him.

bklynspursfan
04-30-2014, 11:18 AM
But Manu was moving. Refs seem to ignore who initiates the contact as long as a player with the ball is moving toward the rim. The foul on Diaw in the same situation last game was wrong, Diaw just held his ground and did not reach, and Ellis uses his elbow to create space and initiated the contact, but Diaw gets called for a foul. It's impossible to defend if you cannot move to the rim with the guy who's penetrating.

I agree... And i know Manu was moving but i thought he got hit in the face so it might negate it. all's well that ends well I guess :)

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Just makes up for the that BS call where Ellis jumps into Diaw, literally jumps into him and Diaw gets whistle for a foul.

Diaw tapped him on the head but he didn't impede his shot in anyway. And on the last shot of the game, refs aren't going to call fouls like this. Duncan slapped Ellis on the hand after Ellis had released his shot. You might call that foul. Again, if there was no blatant foul that alter the shot of the shooter, especially on the last shot of a game, refs aren't going to call ticky tack stuff..

look_at_g_shred
04-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Honestly, I didn't see a foul.

tim_duncan_fan
04-30-2014, 11:42 AM
Timmy pushes people too.

If we're complaining about refereeing, it's really because the team is playing soft.

Horse
04-30-2014, 12:53 PM

I used to think dirk was a class act too. Maybe getting older has made him salty. All I see is dirk shoving and pushing and complaining about not getting calls when he is the one who intiatied the contact again and again.

Proxy
04-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Like that bullshit and-one at the end of the game where he practically elbowed Manu in the head on the way to the basket.

what made that call worse in my eyes was remembering that same situation going against Kawhi in the first half

TheyCallMePro
04-30-2014, 01:21 PM
I thought Ellis was fouled too...but although this is a cheesy defense....there are several calls throughout the game that SHOULD be called, or are called wrongly. And to focus on just ONE bad/no call as to the reason why you lost is just petty.

I mean dude. We lost a Championship last year when Ray Allen took THREE steps back to the 3-point line. I was even yelling "THAT'S A TRAVEL!" as he was hoisting the shot. But I don't think the game was tainted by that no call alone, as there were several egregious calls that went the Spurs too.

No excuses. Not on 0.4 seconds. Not on Ginobili's 'foul' on Dirk in 06. Not even on Ray Allen's travel in game 6.

tmtcsc
04-30-2014, 03:21 PM
I understand that bad calls or no calls happen all throughout a game but on the last play, on the road, at such a crucial point - I thought we'd get called for it. Luckily the ref swallowed his whistle and we got justice. For the person who didn't see it: Boris' went for the block and his arm hit Ellis' head on the layup attempt. As you saw or probably read in this thread, we were getting whitstled for ticky-tack stuff. That made the no call surprising.

04-30-2014, 03:29 PM
I understand that bad calls or no calls happen all throughout a game but on the last play, on the road, at such a crucial point - I thought we'd get called for it. Luckily the ref swallowed his whistle and we got justice. For the person who didn't see it: Boris' went for the block and his arm hit Ellis' head on the layup attempt. As you saw or probably read in this thread, we were getting whitstled for ticky-tack stuff. That made the no call surprising.

Refs just paying us back for all the bs they've been calling for the Mavs / not calling for us

CGD
04-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Is this what the youngins call a "troll thread"?

heyheymymy
04-30-2014, 05:44 PM
also gotta remember playoff are a diff set of rules than reg season and can be a little tougher and let more slide