PDA

View Full Version : Marion: I made sure Manu didn't get any of that s*** in the 2nd half

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-29-2014, 12:38 PM
Marion up for Manu challenge

DALLAS -- It has been a series of picking your poison for the Dallas Mavericks (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/dal/dallas-mavericks).

Their insistence on switching on pick-and-rolls has opened the door for San Antonio's Tim Duncan (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/215/tim-duncan) and Tony Parker (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1015/tony-parker) to get theirs on offense. Making matters worse, Manu Ginobili (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/272/manu-ginobili), the final component to the Spurs' big three, has gone off as he scored a total of 62 points on 50 percent shooting over their last three games.

Ginobili's relentless attack off pick-and-rolls has stymied Dallas' defensive disposition. The Mavs are mindful and fearful of his ability to pass to the open teammate. His aggression has put Dallas on its heels much in the way the Mavs were when San Antonio imposed its will over Dallas in the previous matchups prior to this series.

"I thought most of his points came in the first half, I’ve got to admit," Mavs forwardDirk Nowitzki (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/609/dirk-nowitzki) said. "In the second half I thought we did a better job, keeping him away from the rim a little better. We just had a bad second quarter. He was very good there. I thought in the second half, I thought we did a decent job on him.”

Nowitzki was right as Ginobili did his damange early on in Game 4 as he drove through the heart of Dallas' defense, scoring 15 of his 23 points in the first two quarters.

If the Mavs were able to slow Ginobili down in the second half, what led to that change?

"I did a good job on him," Mavs forward Shawn Marion (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/510/shawn-marion) said. "They put me on him in the second half, and I made sure he didn’t get any of that s---.”

Throughout the first three-and-a-half games, Dallas has had to use its smaller guards to defend Ginobili while Marion checks either Parker or one of the big men for San Antonio. As Marion has shut Parker down later in games, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has relied heavily on Ginobili.

The Mavs made their adjustment in the second half by having Marion check Ginobili. Dallas' best and most versatile defensive option worked his magic on Ginobili as he fought through screens set by Ginobili's teammates, playing the Argentinian to his natural left hand. Instead of being aggressive, Ginobili looked more passive when Marion was guarding him.

San Antonio's sixth man only went 1-of-5 from the field for eight points in the second half, thanks to Marion's rugged defense.

Marion has been Rick Carlisle's basketball spackle since he arrived in Dallas. He has guarded every position between point guard and power forward during his time with the Mavs, proving he's one of the more versatile defenders the league has.

When they're having a problem, Dallas is applying a little Marion to fill in the crack in the defense. Unfortunately for Carlisle, Marion can't be in two places at once. Carlisle's decision in relation to whom he will have Marion sic defensively will be a vital one.

Either way, Marion has shown that he's up for the challenge.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4701749/marion-up-for-manu-challenge?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Malik Hairston
04-29-2014, 12:40 PM
That's fine, it frees up Tony, tbh..

SupremeGuy
04-29-2014, 12:43 PM
TP missed a wide open, under the basket shot. He's useless right now, tbh.

hater
04-29-2014, 12:45 PM
Translators are still working on Monta's interview

Floyd Pacquiao
04-29-2014, 12:45 PM
TP missed a wide open, under the basket shot. He's useless right now, tbh.he'll snap out of it next game, tbh...

Horse
04-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Marion up for Manu challenge

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4701749/marion-up-for-manu-challenge?ex_cid=espnapi_public

marion is the last guy in the league to call anyones game "shit" The ugly junk he puts up is rediculous and a miracle it ever goes in.

SupremeGuy
04-29-2014, 12:49 PM
he'll snap out of it next game, tbh...I say rest him until the second round, tbh.

Mugen
04-29-2014, 12:50 PM

:lol

wildbill2u
04-29-2014, 12:52 PM
Ok, Manu only had 8 pts in the second half. If guys like Green, Mills and Belli can get their shit together, I'll take Manu getting 8 per half and making FTs in closing. Marion scored 4.

Robz4000
04-29-2014, 12:55 PM

Malik Hairston
04-29-2014, 12:58 PM

:lol..

Fpoonsie
04-29-2014, 01:05 PM

Heh.

Sean Cagney
04-29-2014, 01:06 PM
Ok, Manu only had 8 pts in the second half. If guys like Green, Mills and Belli can get their shit together, I'll take Manu getting 8 per half and making FTs in closing. Marion scored 4.

Green better not try that midrange crap again he went to later in the game, that was just ugly to watch. Belli looks useless out there. I feel there is hope for Mills though.

bayareaspursfan
04-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Beli needs to start for green

Fireball
04-29-2014, 01:53 PM
Translators are still working on Monta's interview :lol ... I did not understand a word on that NBA Inside stuff interview he recently had.

SpursRock20
04-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Says the guy who airballed two wide open threes yesterday.

Chinook
04-29-2014, 01:59 PM
Green better not try that midrange crap again he went to later in the game, that was just ugly to watch. Belli looks useless out there. I feel there is hope for Mills though.

Agreed, Danny should just take it to the rim. He's been horrible from midrange this year, but he's pretty much the best on the team near the basket.

mclinejr
04-29-2014, 02:06 PM

:lmao

diego
04-29-2014, 02:15 PM
Too bad he couldnt shut him down 05, 07, and 2010, not to mention athens 04

Actually i was thinking last night how many times manu has schooled marion over the years, yet mvparker is getting shutdown by him. If carlisle makes this adjustment it plays right into pops hands.

hsxvvd
04-29-2014, 02:51 PM
Marion has to be one of the most overrated defenders ever.

Rick Von Braun
04-29-2014, 03:12 PM

:rollin

elbamba
04-29-2014, 03:14 PM
Tony's penetration has been awful. If he can start to penetrate again, you will see guys like Marco and Danny begin to get open threes again.

I still think this series needs to be about KL. Spurs are doing a piss poor job of spacing the floor for him and letting him punish the Mavs for putting small guards on him. The Mavs have been great about exploiting mismatches and the Spurs have been awful about it. We start to change this and the Spurs win the next game by 20.

RD2191
04-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Tony's penetration has been awful. If he can start to penetrate again, you will see guys like Marco and Danny begin to get open threes again.

I still think this series needs to be about KL. Spurs are doing a piss poor job of spacing the floor for him and letting him punish the Mavs for putting small guards on him. The Mavs have been great about exploiting mismatches and the Spurs have been awful about it. We start to change this and the Spurs win the next game by 20.
Dude, his child will be born any day now. His penetration is fine.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-29-2014, 03:39 PM

DJR210
04-29-2014, 04:31 PM

Dude, his child will be born any day now. His penetration is fine.

:lol Manu too.

T Park
04-29-2014, 04:57 PM

Unless the mavericks change their defensive scheme, it's not happening.

crc21209
04-29-2014, 05:17 PM
I swear all these guys are so quick to open their mouths. Just shut the hell up and play the games...

lefty
04-29-2014, 05:22 PM

DAF86
04-29-2014, 05:29 PM
I hope they make the Marion on Manu switch, history proves that that ugly mofo doesn't bother Manu. If Ginobili has an off night it won't be because of Marion while having somebody shorter on Parker might help Tony.

Malik Hairston
04-29-2014, 05:32 PM
Ellis and Calderon are terrible defenders..even with Parker's struggles, he should be able to dominate either guy, if the Mavs choose to guard Manu with Marion..

If they keep Harris on the floor, it will kill their offense, as he's finally regressing to his shitty self..

poeticism707
04-29-2014, 06:01 PM
Ellis and Calderon are terrible defenders..even with Parker's struggles, he should be able to dominate either guy, if the Mavs choose to guard Manu with Marion..

If they keep Harris on the floor, it will kill their offense, as he's finally regressing to his shitty self..

Get real.

The Mavs could sign you or me,

and ESPN would be ranting and raving about our otherwordly, Bowen-esque defense on Parker after the game.