PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Donald Sterling Banned For Life!!!

bluebellmaniac
04-29-2014, 01:41 PM
Put your thoughts here....

Good riddance.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
04-29-2014, 01:42 PM
Proof racism is now viewed as worse than rape or murder :lmao

Fuckin idiot

baseline bum
04-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Fuck him, even if this was just a good excuse to get a cheap owner out of a marquee market.

hater
04-29-2014, 01:48 PM
Dumb move and not sure if theres any legal standing.

So basically this means the NBA can ban all spurstalk posters from attending NBA games for life.

Pathetic big brother fascist regime move imo.

whats racist and whats not at this point? Only what Obamacare and the rest of the fascists tell u imo. What a sham

Crookshanks
04-29-2014, 01:52 PM
While I don't agree with Mr. Sterling's comments, I don't think he should be punished for a PRIVATE conversation. This lifetime ban and forcing him to sell the team are a huge over reaction, and I hope he sues the NBA and wins. I have to agree with Mark Cuban on this one - this is a slippery slope - who are they going to target next?

Koolaid_Man
04-29-2014, 01:52 PM

So basically this means the NBA can ban all spurstalk posters from attending NBA games for life.

:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:c ry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

whats racist and whats not at this point? Only what Obamacare and the rest of the fascists tell u imo. What a sham

Budkin
04-29-2014, 01:54 PM
CROFL Donald Sterling. Hope the piece of shit drops dead.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
04-29-2014, 02:00 PM

:lmao Too stupid to understand

jimbo
04-29-2014, 02:01 PM
Proof racism is now viewed as worse than rape or murder :lmao

This tbh. Sterling being racist doesn't hurt anyone, well except for :cry feelings :cry.

Kobe raped and Ray Lewis killed yet both were forgiven.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
04-29-2014, 02:01 PM
Hilarious to see the Southern states indoctrinated faggots reaction. A Darwinian window :lmao

hater
04-29-2014, 02:02 PM
:lmao Too stupid to understand

Night school might help your situation :tu

jimbo
04-29-2014, 02:03 PM
While I don't agree with Mr. Sterling's comments, I don't think he should be punished for a PRIVATE conversation. This lifetime ban and forcing him to sell the team are a huge over reaction, and I hope he sues the NBA and wins. I have to agree with Mark Cuban on this one - this is a slippery slope - who are they going to target next?

Mark Jackson for hating on gays...

:lmao like that'll ever happen. Maybe in 20 years when the league is filled with faggots

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
04-29-2014, 02:04 PM
Night school might help your situation :tu

That your perspective rooted in Texas shit ideology isn't applicable to the constitution of a private corporation? :lmao

Keep kickin' shit in the fields

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
04-29-2014, 02:05 PM
Mark Jackson for hating on gays...

:lmao like that'll ever happen. Maybe in 20 years when the league is filled with faggots

:lmao Says that with Tim Duncan as his teams greatest player

hater
04-29-2014, 02:05 PM
:lmao

The Gemini Method
04-29-2014, 02:07 PM
No matter how much Silver tried to deny it--this was for the decades of petulant behavior by Sterling finally coming home to roost.

FromWayDowntown
Fundamentally, the NBA is a private association of team owners and absolutely has legal standing to conclude that the conduct of one member of that association is sufficiently egregious to boot his ass out.

Silver acted decisively, forcefully, and quickly. And unlike his predecessor, he took a massive moment in his league's history and chose not to make it about himself. It's a great day for the new Commissioner and more proof that the change in the Commissioner's office is more than just a new name on the letterhead and a new signature on the ball.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4

That your perspective rooted in Texas shit ideology isn't applicable to the constitution of a private corporation? :lmao

hater
04-29-2014, 02:08 PM

Keep kickin' shit in the fields

As I said night school should help you undertand even corporations have rules to follow. Search online night school near the shithole you live :lol

The Gemini Method
04-29-2014, 02:08 PM
Fundamentally, the NBA is a private association of team owners and absolutely has legal standing to conclude that the conduct of one member of that association is sufficiently egregious to boot his ass out.

Silver acted decisively, forcefully, and quickly. And unlike his predecessor, he took a massive moment in his league's history and chose not to make it about himself. It's a great day for the new Commissioner and more proof that the change in the Commissioner's office is more than just a new name on the letterhead and a new signature on the ball.

Basically this. Silver has made a very shrewd move to establish his reign. Let's hope he continues to evolve.

hater
04-29-2014, 02:09 PM

Go watch Philadelphia starring Tom Hanks dumbshit. Were the courts not involved in personnel decisions of a private corporation?

:lmao stupid fucking dumbshit

ambchang
04-29-2014, 02:11 PM
Bad move by the NBA, not sure of the legal standings the league has. I mean, all the discriminatory things that were said and done by players off the court were just that, things that were said. Sterling didn't exhibit any kind of behaviour that shows he's racist in this case. He hired black employees, provided the same privileges for white employees as well as minority employees, but what he said would somehow get him banned?

What about all the ignorant stuff that was said and done by players? What about Malone refusing to play with Magic on the court? Is the league saying HIV patients can and should be discriminated? What about Kobe's slur to homosexuals? Is the league saying homosexuals can be trampled upon? What about the Spanish team making fun of Chinese in the Olympics? Why are there so many Spanish players still in the league? Are blacks somehow more valuable than Chinese now?

Not saying Sterling shouldn't be punished, because he should be, but the NBA is setting up itself for a long and lengthy arbitration process.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
04-29-2014, 02:11 PM
As I said night school should help you undertand even corporations have rules to follow. Search online night school near the shithole you live :lol

Undertand?

Big surprise a Texas shit kicker is too dumb to understand what just took place and why. Don't worry your kids might. :lmao

JoeTait75
04-29-2014, 02:12 PM
No matter how much Silver tried to deny it--this was for the decades of petulant behavior by Sterling finally coming home to roost.

I think it was a setup and it wouldn't surprise me if the league itself was behind it.

jimbo
04-29-2014, 02:12 PM

Tbh, I doubt you're even good enough for Tim to want to fuck you in the ass.

Killakobe81
04-29-2014, 02:13 PM
Fuck him, even if this was just a good excuse to get a cheap owner out of a marquee market.

This!

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
04-29-2014, 02:13 PM
Go watch Philadelphia starring Tom Hanks dumbshit. Were the courts not involved in personnel decisions of a private corporation?

:lmao stupid fucking dumbshit

A corporation ruled and governed by elite lawyers should heed the advice of desert shit kickers :lmao

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
04-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Tbh, I doubt you're even good enough for Tim to want to fuck you in the ass.

Weak smack.

Tim's still a homo and that makes you an idiot by default.

baseline bum
04-29-2014, 02:17 PM

You're crazy if you think is about one racist thing said on tape or even his history of it. The NBA has wanted this guy out for years because he's cheap and costs the league and the rest of the owners money by consistently having such a laughingstock of a team in a premiere market and refusing to act in good faith as an owner in trying to put a quality product on the floor. A team that he was never interested in putting any money into until he lucked into drafting Blake Griffin and having Chris Paul handed to him when Stern voided his trade to the Lakers. Any other owner says something like what Sterling did and you're looking at a playoff ban for appearances and probably some BS sensitivity counseling. The owners will say they voted him out because of his blatant racist views, but it'll really be about money and how much more Magic's ownership group will pour into the league, being in that market.

jimbo
04-29-2014, 02:17 PM

It's so much more complex than that though. You can't boil it down to just one or two sentences.

1) No precedent
2) Owners have to vote on it, Silver doesn't have authority to kick him out
3) Antitrust claims stemming from a forced sale of a team since it would presumably be below market value

This is the best article regarding the legal aspects of it so far

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140426/donald-sterling-la-clippers-adam-silver-nba/

Killakobe81
04-29-2014, 02:19 PM
In the end who cares the end result is all that matters ... and Clips and the league are all the better for it.

jimbo
04-29-2014, 02:19 PM
Weak smack.

Tim's still a homo and that makes you an idiot by default.

Better smack than Kobe_5 Duncan_4.

:lol too ugly to attract homos.

If it ain't true, you wouldn't be bothered by it.

ElNono
04-29-2014, 02:20 PM
It's so much more complex than that though. You can't boil it down to just one or two sentences.

1) No precedent
3) Antitrust claims stemming from a forced sale of a team since it would presumably be below market value

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140426/donald-sterling-la-clippers-adam-silver-nba/

IIRC, FWD is a lawyer...

jimbo
04-29-2014, 02:22 PM
IIRC, FWD is a lawyer...

Then I'm guessing he didn't care because it was a quick forum post. It is that much more complex than the two sentences he wrote, that part isn't a lie. Think about when the Dodgers got sold and that was so much more clear cut than this.

Anyways, best case scenario is FWD can expand on some of the author's thoughts.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
04-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Better smack than Kobe_5 Duncan_4.

:lol too ugly to attract homos.

If it ain't true, you wouldn't be bothered by it.

Middle school smack :lmao

Meanwhile Tim Duncan is still a homosexual and your denial of it makes you an idiot.

hater
04-29-2014, 02:23 PM
You're crazy if you think is about one racist thing said on tape or even his history of it. The NBA has wanted this guy out for years because he's cheap and costs the league and the rest of the owners money by consistently having such a laughingstock of a team in a premiere market. A team that he was never interested in putting any money into until he lucked into drafting Blake Griffin and having Chris Paul handed to him when Stern voided his trade to the Lakers. Any other owner says something like what Sterling did and you're looking at a playoff ban for appearances and probably some BS sensitivity counseling. The owners will say they voted him out because of his blatant racist views, but it'll really be about money and how much more Magic's ownership group will pour into the league, being in that market.

So if the NBA hated him so much why did they hand him CP3 therefore raising the teams value greatly?

jimbo
04-29-2014, 02:24 PM
Middle school smack :lmao

Meanwhile Tim Duncan is still a homosexual and your denial of it makes you an idiot.

:lmao Getting upset from middle school smack.

Besides, how am I denying it? He's likely the greatest homosexual of all time. Who else would be better on the all time list?

Koolaid_Man
04-29-2014, 02:25 PM
So if the NBA hated him so much why did they hand him CP3 therefore raising the teams value greatly?

stop stealing my thoughts and ideas and passing them off as yours :toast

baseline bum
04-29-2014, 02:27 PM

Because they were trying to sell the Hornets and didn't want the long-term money they were taking on from the Lakers dragging down the Hornets' sale price.

ChumpDumper
04-29-2014, 02:28 PM

So basically this means the NBA can ban all spurstalk posters from attending NBA games for life. Well, you. Yes.

whats racist and whats not at this point? Only what Obamacare and the rest of the fascists tell u imo. What a shamSterling agreed to the rules.

It's pretty severe but he can cry himself to sleep on the billion dollars he is going to make off his $12 million investment.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
:lmao Getting upset from middle school smack.

Besides, how am I denying it? He's likely the greatest homosexual of all time. Who else would be better on the all time list?

Acceptance is the first step :lol

peacemaker885
Wow totally unexpected. Silver showing some balls.

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2014, 02:29 PM

1) No precedent

That it's unprecedented doesn't make it legally questionable.

Your points 2 and 3 conflate the issues, and even the article you reference makes that clear. Silver has absolute authority to suspend and fine Sterling under the NBA's Bylaws and Constitution and technically that's all he did today. He has suspended/banned Sterling for life and fined him $2.5 million. Sterling still owns the team at this moment and continues to benefit in most of the financial ways that owners benefit from ownership of a team. He can only do it from a distance.

You're probably right about the legality of a forced sale of the franchise, and those issues will be sorted out in the months and years to come. Silver said that he will work on convincing the owners that they should expel Sterling and force a sale of the team; but the suspension that Silver validly levied does not require sale at this point.

Two very separate issues.

ElNono
04-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Then I'm guessing he didn't care because it was a quick forum post. It is that much more complex than the two sentences he wrote, that part isn't a lie. Think about when the Dodgers got sold and that was so much more clear cut than this.

Anyways, best case scenario is FWD can expand on some of the author's thoughts.

Ofcourse he's not going to spell a case, he's simply stating that there's likely no legal impediment to get it done. The article you linked is complete speculation too, as the author admits the NBA constitution is confidential.

From the fact that the NBA can contract the league (or expand it), you can gather that they certainly have the authority to shrink or grow that ownership pool.

hater
04-29-2014, 02:31 PM
Because they were trying to sell the Hornets and didn't want the long-term money they were taking on from the Lakers dragging down the Hornets' sale price.

So they told sterling whom they hated so much "heres cp3 and 300 million dollars asshole?"

The Gemini Method
04-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Don't feel bad bruhs...he still owns a shitload of real estate in the SoCal and NorCal areas. He's in the sunset of his bigoted life and he's going to probably still bang Mexican and Black chicks until his heart stops. The billions he is going to make off the sale of the Clips will also buy him a nice ride into the sunset.

baseline bum
04-29-2014, 02:33 PM
So they told sterling whom they hated so much "heres cp3 and 300 million dollars asshole?"

Chris Paul dictated terms of where he could be traded by who he would sign an extension with.

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2014, 02:37 PM
It would also be remarkably short-sighted of the owners to not include a method for expelling an owner from the association in at least some circumstances. For instance, if an owner is bribing game officials or engaged in horrible criminal activity of some other sort or endangering the best interests of the league, it would be unimaginable that his peers couldn't expel the owner and that the league might have to just live with that sort of conduct from a team owner.

I haven't read the bylaws or constitution of the NBA, but I think the question with respect to the forced sale aspect of the Sterling case is less about whether the league can expel and owner and force a sale in general and more about whether these circumstances give rise to a basis to take that action.

ElNono
04-29-2014, 02:38 PM
It would also be remarkably short-sighted of the owners to not include a method for expelling an owner from the association in at least some circumstances. For instance, if an owner is bribing game officials or engaged in horrible criminal activity of some other sort or endangering the best interests of the league, it would be unimaginable that his peers couldn't expel the owner and that the league might have to just live with that sort of conduct from a team owner.

I haven't read the bylaws or constitution of the NBA, but I think the question with respect to the forced sale aspect of the Sterling case is less about whether the league can expel and owner and force a sale in general and more about whether these circumstances give rise to a basis to take that action.

Especially when it affects the league negatively monetarily. You have a case here where the league is damaged monetarily due to the loss of sponsorship among other things.

Seventyniner
04-29-2014, 02:42 PM
I wonder if there is a clause that would allow the league to contract, getting rid of the Clippers, and then immediately grant Seattle with a team? This version would have to involve the Sonics getting the current Clippers roster rather than the normal expansion draft.

ChumpDumper
04-29-2014, 02:44 PM

I haven't read the bylaws or constitution of the NBA, but I think the question with respect to the forced sale aspect of the Sterling case is less about whether the league can expel and owner and force a sale in general and more about whether these circumstances give rise to a basis to take that action.I think all the stuff for the owners is secret FWIW.

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2014, 02:46 PM
Especially when it affects the league negatively monetarily. You have a case here where the league is damaged monetarily due to the loss of sponsorship among other things.

Exactly. And for that reason, my surmise would be that the expulsion provision of the bylaws is pretty broadly stated.

Silver basically alluded to the fact that expulsion is proper (at least in some circumstances) on the vote of 75% of the owners (here, it would take 22 owners, assuming no abstentions from a vote). That the vote has such a high threshold for action suggests to me that there's fairly broad authority for expulsion -- something like it is proper when deemed to be in the best interests of the league or for conduct detrimental to the league -- and that the protection against overreach lies in requiring such a substantial number of votes for action. In other words, my guess would be that the expulsion provision doesn't expressly limit the justifications for expulsion to some checklist of actions but to ensure that there's no overreach or actions based on personal animus, the vote to take that drastic action requires more than a supermajority of the ownership, which would likely be hard to get except in the most obvious situations.

ElNono
I wonder if there is a clause that would allow the league to contract, getting rid of the Clippers, and then immediately grant Seattle with a team? This version would have to involve the Sonics getting the current Clippers roster rather than the normal expansion draft.

I thought about that. Provided proper and fair compensation, I suspect they could do it. The problem is that if the owner doesn't want to let go, it can take a while.

hater
Chris Paul dictated terms of where he could be traded by who he would sign an extension with.

If he was such a known racist and biggot. Why did cp3 choose to work for him?

This goes deeper. Its a carefully orchestrated operation to destroy Sterling executed by his enemies. Sure he is a racist and an asshole but you do not become a billionaire by being a nice fella :lol

He pissed off the wrong person and is being destroyed a la 666 park avenue style

Seventyniner
04-29-2014, 02:48 PM
I thought about that. Provided proper and fair compensation, I suspect they could do it. The problem is that if the owner doesn't want to let go, it can take a while.

Yes, whatever money Ballmer and company pay to get the Sonics/Clippers would mostly go to Sterling.

Under a normal contraction, does the contracted owner have to consent?

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2014, 02:48 PM

I think Silver made it pretty clear today that the league would be excited to have Magic Johnson lead an ownership group to buy the Clippers and I would imagine that is with the intention that the Clips would stay in LA. Even if the Clippers are, for now at least, at an economic disadvantage in that market -- and they are for a variety of reasons -- one would think that the league would prefer to have 2 strong franchises in LA than to have one strong one in LA and another potentially strong one in Seattle. Just a guess, though.

I'd also doubt that contraction would be in the plan, since that would presumably require a buy-out from the league, while a sale would bring outside money in to obtain the ownership interest in that team. I suppose that the league could make up the buy-out money from the fee it would charge for obtaining an expansion franchise in Seattle. But I think there are probably very specific rules in the CBA, the Constitution, or the Bylaws concerning expansion and those wouldn't contemplate moving an entire roster to an expansion franchise's roster.

ElNono
04-29-2014, 02:51 PM
Yes, whatever money Ballmer and company pay to get the Sonics/Clippers would mostly go to Sterling.

Under a normal contraction, does the contracted owner have to consent?

Let me first say, I don't think the league has any intentions of moving the Clippers out of LA. I think that's a terrible business decision.

But to your point, the problem I see is that even if the owner doesn't want to consent, he can always battle it in court, and we're talking about owners with a lot of money, so they can extend the litigation for a long time, which is not what you want when you have a buyer lined up.

baseline bum
04-29-2014, 02:52 PM
If he was such a known racist and biggot. Why did cp3 choose to work for him?

This goes deeper. Its a carefully orchestrated operation to destroy Sterling executed by his enemies. Sure he is a racist and an asshole but you do not become a billionaire by being a nice fella :lol

He pissed off the wrong person and is being destroyed a la 666 park avenue style

Because he wanted to be in a big market with a guy projected to be a HOF big man.

Seventyniner
04-29-2014, 02:53 PM
I think Silver made it pretty clear today that the league would be excited to have Magic Johnson lead an ownership group to buy the Clippers and I would imagine that is with the intention that the Clips would stay in LA. Even if the Clippers are, for now at least, at an economic disadvantage in that market -- and they are for a variety of reasons -- one would think that the league would prefer to have 2 strong franchises in LA than to have one strong one in LA and another potentially strong one in Seattle. Just a guess, though.

Given that the Clippers name has such a negative stigma attached, even if the league wanted to keep 2 teams in LA they might consider changing the team name and colors.

Hard to tell if 2 LA teams or 1 LA and 1 Seattle is better for the league. Adding Seattle broadens the fan base more, though the fact that the Clippers are pretty good and the Lakers suck complicates things.

baseline bum
04-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Given that the Clippers name has such a negative stigma attached, even if the league wanted to keep 2 teams in LA they might consider changing the team name and colors.

Hard to tell if 2 LA teams or 1 LA and 1 Seattle is better for the league. Adding Seattle broadens the fan base more, though the fact that the Clippers are pretty good and the Lakers suck complicates things.

Indeed, that Clippers name will be gone soon after Magic buys.

Seventyniner
04-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Let me first say, I don't think the league has any intentions of moving the Clippers out of LA. I think that's a terrible business decision.

But to your point, the problem I see is that even if the owner doesn't want to consent, he can always battle it in court, and we're talking about owners with a lot of money, so they can extend the litigation for a long time, which is not what you want when you have a buyer lined up.

I was thinking the league could do the contraction/expansion dance, take the $1 billion or whatever from Ballmer, and play like normal while the case went through court channels. But the league would be up shit creek if they somehow lost the lawsuit along the way.

Doing the same thing but keeping the Clippers in LA (with a rename/rebrand) is easier because if Sterling were to win, the league could just give him that team back.

Thebesteva
04-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Don't feel bad bruhs...he still owns a shitload of real estate in the SoCal and NorCal areas. He's in the sunset of his bigoted life and he's going to probably still bang Mexican and Black chicks until his heart stops. The billions he is going to make off the sale of the Clips will also buy him a nice ride into the sunset.

Dude fuck that guy, hes a faggot tbh. But this entire thing has opened a slippery slope as mark cuban says. Oh well, Im not an NBA owner so I can care less about being paranoid over phone calls.

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2014, 02:57 PM

If you have 2 strong franchises in LA, Silver can honestly answer that his dream matchup for the Finals would be Lakers v. Clippers (as opposed to Stern's famous "Lakers vs. Lakers" response years and years ago) -- particularly if the league finds its way to real seeding and not conference-based seeding.

ElNono
04-29-2014, 02:58 PM
I was thinking the league could do the contraction/expansion dance, take the $1 billion or whatever from Ballmer, and play like normal while the case went through court channels. But the league would be up shit creek if they somehow lost the lawsuit along the way.

Yeah, that's not going to happen also because the first move would probably involve enjoining the league to stop proceedings until the case is over.

jimbo
04-29-2014, 02:58 PM
That it's unprecedented doesn't make it legally questionable.

Your points 2 and 3 conflate the issues, and even the article you reference makes that clear. Silver has absolute authority to suspend and fine Sterling under the NBA's Bylaws and Constitution and technically that's all he did today. He has suspended/banned Sterling for life and fined him $2.5 million. Sterling still owns the team at this moment and continues to benefit in most of the financial ways that owners benefit from ownership of a team. He can only do it from a distance.

You're probably right about the legality of a forced sale of the franchise, and those issues will be sorted out in the months and years to come. Silver said that he will work on convincing the owners that they should expel Sterling and force a sale of the team; but the suspension that Silver validly levied does not require sale at this point.

Two very separate issues.

Okay, I misunderstood what you meant by "boot his ass out."

I took it as "kick him out of the league" which as you've pointed out is entirely different from what happened today.

Ofcourse he's not going to spell a case, he's simply stating that there's likely no legal impediment to get it done. The article you linked is complete speculation too, as the author admits the NBA constitution is confidential.

From the fact that the NBA can contract the league (or expand it), you can gather that they certainly have the authority to shrink or grow that ownership pool.

There's no legal impediment for what happened today, but there is for actually getting Sterling out of the league entirely.

& I'm not exactly sure how confidential it is. ESPN's legal analyst (however you may think of him) had the same idea about the constitution regarding what it would take to get him out. I don't know where any of this information actually came from.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10852199/challenge-donald-sterling

hater
04-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Telling u nggas. 666 park avenue style takedown. No hoodrat records hours of conversation on her own :lol

Seventyniner
04-29-2014, 03:02 PM
If you have 2 strong franchises in LA, Silver can honestly answer that his dream matchup for the Finals would be Lakers v. Clippers (as opposed to Stern's famous "Lakers vs. Lakers" response years and years ago) -- particularly if the league finds its way to real seeding and not conference-based seeding.

The Clippers could bring in more money than the Knicks or Nets?

The league is pretty unlucky that many of the big-market teams have shitty ownership. Short Buss, Sterling, Dolan, Jerry "I-won't-pay-the-tax-and-you-can't-make-me" Krause...ouch.

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2014, 03:07 PM
Jerry "I-won't-pay-the-tax-and-you-can't-make-me" Krause...ouch.

I think you mean Jerry Reinsdorf. Krause was the Bulls' GM during the Jordan years. Reinsdorf owns the team.

ElNono
04-29-2014, 03:08 PM
There's no legal impediment for what happened today, but there is for actually getting Sterling out of the league entirely.

& I'm not exactly sure how confidential it is. ESPN's legal analyst (however you may think of him) had the same idea about the constitution regarding what it would take to get him out. I don't know where any of this information actually came from.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10852199/challenge-donald-sterling

The power to terminate is limited to things like gambling and fraud in the application for ownership, but it also includes a provision for termination when an owner "fails to fulfill" a "contractual obligation" in "such a way as to affect the [NBA] or its members adversely." Silver and the owners could assert that Sterling's statements violated the constitution's requirements to conduct business on a "reasonable" and "ethical" level.

This is basically what FWD was alluding to, and what Silver also mentioned. The fact that the Clippers (and by association, the league), lost sponsorship over his actions, would seem to fit the bill.

Obviously the threshold is high, but it doesn't look like there's a legal impediment to do it.

vy65
04-29-2014, 03:12 PM

I'm pretty sure the NBA is a joint-venture amongst the numerous teams (but could be wrong about that) -- meaning it functions like a partnership with each team being a partner. While I could see Silver having some general partner-esque powers, the ability to functionally remove the owner of one the league's constituent partners seems like it would have to be something that would be submitted to at least to the board of governors, if not the league as a whole.

MeloHype
04-29-2014, 03:13 PM

ElNono
04-29-2014, 03:14 PM
I'm pretty sure the NBA is a joint-venture amongst the numerous teams (but could be wrong about that) -- meaning it functions like a partnership with each team being a partner. While I could see Silver having some general partner-esque powers, the ability to functionally remove the owner of one the league's constituent partners seems like it would have to be something that would be submitted to at least to the board of governors, if not the league as a whole.

That's what Silver said. He doesn't have the power, but he'll request a vote from ownership to oust him.

Malik Hairston
04-29-2014, 03:15 PM
You're crazy if you think is about one racist thing said on tape or even his history of it. The NBA has wanted this guy out for years because he's cheap and costs the league and the rest of the owners money by consistently having such a laughingstock of a team in a premiere market and refusing to act in good faith as an owner in trying to put a quality product on the floor. A team that he was never interested in putting any money into until he lucked into drafting Blake Griffin and having Chris Paul handed to him when Stern voided his trade to the Lakers. Any other owner says something like what Sterling did and you're looking at a playoff ban for appearances and probably some BS sensitivity counseling. The owners will say they voted him out because of his blatant racist views, but it'll really be about money and how much more Magic's ownership group will pour into the league, being in that market.

Pretty much agree with this, tbh, it's clear that they are taking advantage of the situation and eliminating a problem owner that they've wanted to rid themselves of for years..

Everybody is all-in on it, too, as the media isn't even questioning why niggas like Doc Rivers and Chris Paul willingly signed with the Clippers and an owner that was known to be a bigot well before this incident..

vy65
04-29-2014, 03:15 PM
That's what Silver said. He doesn't have the power, but he'll request a vote from ownership to oust him.

Oh ok. I didn't listen to anything, and am going off the headlines only.

Seventyniner
04-29-2014, 03:18 PM
I think you mean Jerry Reinsdorf. Krause was the Bulls' GM during the Jordan years. Reinsdorf owns the team.

Yeah you're right. I thought Jerry and immediately went to Krause.

hater
04-29-2014, 03:20 PM
Meanwhile the rest of the slave owners eeemmm I mean owners are silent

ElNono
04-29-2014, 03:21 PM
Pretty much agree with this, tbh, it's clear that they are taking advantage of the situation and eliminating a problem owner that they've wanted to rid themselves of for years..

Everybody is all-in on it, too, as the media isn't even questioning why niggas like Doc Rivers and Chris Paul willingly signed with the Clippers and an owner that was known to be a bigot well before this incident..

You actually have to wonder if Sterling didn't have the goods on Stern, tbh...

Clipper Nation
04-29-2014, 03:23 PM
http://i.imgur.com/CXlZ6rZ.jpg

unforeseen
04-29-2014, 03:35 PM

Diddy would replace Gatorade with Ciroc vodka on the Clippers bench.

cheguevara
04-29-2014, 03:38 PM
:lmao everyone is missing the point. this has nothing to do with punishing a guy for his views, also nothing to do with an NBA vendetta vs. Sterling.

This has ALL TO DO WITH $$$$$$$$$$$$$

the new NBA commish is on his hands and knees pleading the sponsors to return to the Clippers. He's basically asking to suck their dicks for the sponsoring money. He is also "pleading" the owners to do something about Sterling, which means, he doesn't have the votes nor the support of the owners. He is publicly pleading and dicksucking the media and sponsors for money.

that's it and that's all. Money $$$ dollar bills. It's all about money.

this move by NBA has NOTHING to do with dealing with racism or dealing with Sterling. It's basically asking and pleading for the sponsors to come back and stop jumping ship on the NBA.

04-29-2014, 03:38 PM
At first, I too, thought forcing Sterling to sell the Clippers would be too overboard. The lifetime ban and $2.5 million fine seemed more than enough for racist comments said in private.

But then I thought, no decent player, coach, or GM will ever want to work for Sterling again. Not to mention the loss of sponsor revenue. The Clippers will transform back into the perennial loser and the joke team of the NBA. The only way to solve this would be for Sterling to sell the team and give up ownership. Forcing an owner to sell is bad but leaving Sterling as an owner would only cripple the Clippers. This is really a lose-lose situation.

cheguevara
04-29-2014, 03:42 PM
as I said inthe other thread. This is equivalent to Stern fining the Spurs last season. 100% motivated by money and profit and keeping sponsors happy. NBA is puppet to the sponsors and big corporations. nothing more, nothing less.

The Gemini Method
04-29-2014, 03:44 PM
as I said inthe other thread. This is equivalent to Stern fining the Spurs last season. 100% motivated by money and profit and keeping sponsors happy. NBA is puppet to the sponsors and big corporations. nothing more, nothing less.

You have a point--yet, we posters here @ ST are the same puppets.

cheguevara
04-29-2014, 03:45 PM
You have a point--yet, we posters here @ ST are the same puppets.

most definitely. Even Obama and Congress are mainly puppets to these same corporations. Me and dear Dr. Paul have been saying this for years.

The Gemini Method
04-29-2014, 03:47 PM
most definitely. Even Obama and Congress are mainly puppets to these same corporations. Me and dear Dr. Paul have been saying this for years.

Same here. But then I have coalesced so much after my mid-20's...I'm sadly a sheep.

Clipper Nation
04-29-2014, 03:50 PM
Forcing an owner to sell is bad
How so? According to the NBA's constitution, there are only three ways an owner can be forced out:

- Inability to pay the bills, franchise becomes insolvent
- Betting on basketball
- Conduct so consistently toxic and harmful to the league that it leads to major public outcry

Is it really a bad thing to force out owners that meet one of those criteria?

Xevious
04-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Kobe raped and Ray Lewis killed yet both were forgiven.
Both still made money for their respective leagues. That's the only difference. The NBA does not care (nor should they) what an owner says on a private telephone conversation. But when that conversation causes a hemorrhage of money from the league, Silver pretty much has to make a bold move to keep the situation from spiraling further out of control. Anything else should be viewed as lip service. Players, coaches, and execs have gotten away with far worse as you said.

hater
04-29-2014, 04:10 PM
Bold prediction: No black coaches will be fired this offseason

Darth_Pelican
04-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Bold prediction: No black coaches will be fired this offseason

Fuck

Killakobe81
04-29-2014, 04:14 PM
http://i.imgur.com/CXlZ6rZ.jpg

Ha!

Expert
04-29-2014, 04:30 PM
So he's been banned for what, 5 years? What about the afterlife?

Expert
04-29-2014, 04:35 PM
It doesn't matter if it was a private conversation except legally. What matters is that his racial prejudice is known by everyone now, and to continue to associate with him is not only a bad business decision, but could completely undermine the NBA around the world. If your racial biases were known in your place of work, because your own voice was recorded saying stupid shit and the media got their hands on it (and gave a shit), you'd be fired as well and would have a hard time finding work anywhere. Donald Sterling has no business anywhere near the NBA.. he's a piece of shit who deserves what he got, but it's not a legal move... it's a business move. The 2.5m fine could be a problem, he could just say "Fuck off". You cannot kick someone out and fine them at the same time, not as a private organization.

It was the right thing to do, the only thing in fact. If he sues and wins, that doesn't change anything. The NBA made it's feelings known on the matter, their stance is more powerful than a black arm band or a reversed warmup jersey. I never understood the Heat's gesture... their organization didn't do anything wrong, why cover their names?

baseline bum
04-29-2014, 04:35 PM

I don't think it's just about the sponsors, as sponsors don't care if anything is actually done. They just want it to look like something was done while people are mad, until things get brushed under the rug once the media forgets about it. If all they were worried about was sponsorship they would have been fine suspending him for the playoffs and possibly next season. This is all about trying to replace Sterling with an owner who will spend lots of money to get the league fat TV contracts in the future having another marquee team in Los Angeles. All this coming down against racism shit just gives them a perfect excuse for finally removing the cheap bastard under the PR slogan of "NBA Cares."

04-29-2014, 04:40 PM
How so? According to the NBA's constitution, there are only three ways an owner can be forced out:

- Inability to pay the bills, franchise becomes insolvent
- Betting on basketball
- Conduct so consistently toxic and harmful to the league that it leads to major public outcry

Is it really a bad thing to force out owners that meet one of those criteria?
Forcing an owner to sell due to criminal behavior is acceptable. But this is over something an 80 year old man said in private.

Expert
04-29-2014, 04:45 PM
Forcing an owner to sell due to criminal behavior is acceptable. But this is over something an 80 year old man said in private.
It harms the image of the league. As an owner he no doubt signed a contract stipulating moral and ethical PR issues and "The League"'s power to make a move in their own best interest.

Clipper Nation
04-29-2014, 04:47 PM
It's not just about something he said in private, it's about over 32 years of constant humiliation to the league and one of its franchises and a commissioner willing to put his foot down....

baseline bum
04-29-2014, 04:49 PM
It's not just about something he said in private, it's about over 32 years of constant humiliation to the league and one of its franchises and a commissioner willing to put his foot down....

This. Everyone misses the point that this is a lifetime achievement award for an owner who has acted in bad faith from the beginning and now the NBA has an airtight way to sack him and put an ownership group in place to make it a competitive franchise.

Dex
04-29-2014, 04:52 PM

In today's technological age, nothing is said "in private" anymore unless nobody hears it.

Once something is circling the internet, its public domain imo, regardless of whether it was originally used in a private setting. If I mention to a co-worker how much of a pain in the ass a client is being in my own office, that's fine. If I mention it in my office while the client is on the other end of the phone, I'd expect the client to be rightfully pissed off about it.

Which is exactly why some people need to learn to just shut the hell up.

The Gemini Method
04-29-2014, 04:53 PM
and one more that fits in this supposed time of equality or movement to "more" equal terms.

Expert
04-29-2014, 04:58 PM
In today's technological age, nothing is said "in private" anymore unless nobody hears it.

Once something is circling the internet, its public domain imo, regardless of whether it was originally used in a private setting. If I mention to a co-worker how much of a pain in the ass a client is being in my own office, that's fine. If I mention it in my office while the client is on the other end of the phone, I'd expect the client to be rightfully pissed off about it.

Which is exactly why some people need to learn to just shut the hell up.

What if you mentioned it in the privacy of your office and your coworker recorded it and handed it to your client?

Spurs9
04-29-2014, 05:03 PM
Would he be banned if he had raped someone tbh?

Expert
04-29-2014, 05:10 PM
Basketball Reasons

DPG21920
04-29-2014, 05:25 PM

Sons Sterling flat out denied and deflected on any past behavior issues. In fact, he flat out said it wasn't even in consideration. He had to say that because he knows the legal ramifications on if he said he did take it into consideration considering everyone buried their heads.

The fact he mentioned sponsors in such an important public stance shows what it's all about.

hater
04-29-2014, 05:26 PM
Sons Sterling flat out denied and deflected on any past behavior issues. In fact, he flat out said it wasn't even in consideration. He had to say that because he knows the legal ramifications on if he said he did take it into consideration considering everyone buried their heads.

The fact he mentioned sponsors in such an important public stance shows what it's all about.

boom truth nuke

"sponsors" "plead to the owners"

Dex
04-29-2014, 05:33 PM
What if you mentioned it in the privacy of your office and your coworker recorded it and handed it to your client?

I'd be pissed at the co-worker for taking a private statement and making it public, but that wouldn't make the statement any less public, or make me any less accountable for it.

DPG21920
04-29-2014, 05:46 PM
I'd be pissed at the co-worker for taking a private statement and making it public, but that wouldn't make the statement any less public, or make me any less accountable for it.

So it's ok then for let's say, the government to tap any and all citizens and post the findings online or sell it to papers? Hell, we could eliminate national debt with that strategy. I am a got damn genius.

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2014, 05:50 PM
i hope sterling counter sues....

this is bs to start with anyway...

seems like this was all masterminded to get rid of him...

DPG21920
04-29-2014, 05:54 PM
That's the issue to me. This isn't the first "smoking gun". I don't necessarily agree with the methods, but it's out there and they had to deal with it. However, there have been plenty of opportunities for the NBA, players, coaches and sponsors to take a stand and instead Doc knowingly signs with them and the NAACP gives him a life time achievement award.

It's damn telling that during what should have been a monumental moment and defining stance from the NBA they pleaded for their sponsors. Can you imagine if during MLK's speech he would have said: "I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up, but I would like to ask that our sponsors don't abandon us if things get tough"?

It's also really ironic that these intellectually dishonest people expand this NBA globally into parts of the world even more racist than USA. Can you imagine if NBA fans threw banana's at players on the court like they still do in Europe at Soccer matches? But no, NBA won't dare speak up on that when they are trying to tap into that money pool either.

Koolaid_Man
04-29-2014, 05:59 PM

You knew about this and yet continued to support the team

Dex
04-29-2014, 06:00 PM
So it's ok then for let's say, the government to tap any and all citizens and post the findings online or sell it to papers? Hell, we could eliminate national debt with that strategy. I am a got damn genius.

Apples and oranges. We aren't talking about the Bill of Rights here, or the question of whether releasing private information to the public is ethical.

We are talking about what happens if something that is said behind closed doors finds its way out into the open. Regardless of the way that occurs, it doesn't make the original sentiment any less substantial. Public opinion is what it is; once the news is out, there is no pulling it back in. Ask Beyonce.

I'm not saying it's right in every situation, but if you are going to say something that can somehow be forwarded along (i.e. word of mouth, recording, writing, etc.) then you have to be prepared to be accountable for it, otherwise it's probably best not said. These days, it's incredibly difficult to know when you are not being monitored, and it is incredibly easy to make news travel fast.

~O~
04-29-2014, 06:01 PM
Corrupt world is corrupt my friend. I heard the Donald Sterling recording completely. He mentioned something that you have no choice but to live in a culture you really can't control.

In some instances, I believe these types of issues are to distract you from the real issues. Your current rights individually as a single entity.

dg7md
04-29-2014, 06:07 PM
:lol Cuckolded old man loved watching black guys fuck his mistresses
:lol Racist old piece of shit
:lol Banned from the Clippers organization
:lol First victim of the new NBA under Adam Silver
:lol Clippers fucked over yet again
:lol Racist rednecks in this thread coming out in droves

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2014, 06:07 PM
does the bill of rights say anything an individual cant be a racists?

i dont know how its racists when its telling the truth about the stereotype of ethnic races....either those races get with the times improve themselves or continue to be look down upon

Katherine Robinson
04-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Why are spur fans suddenly believing Silver will lead them to the promise land? He's a jew, just like Stern.

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2014, 06:14 PM
so whats the difference between him saying it, compared to the state last year that introduce laws businesses can decline services to ethnic minorities? i think it was arizona?

baseline bum
04-29-2014, 06:19 PM
So he's been banned for what, 5 years? What about the afterlife?

He can bankroll Jerry down there too tbh

DPG21920
04-29-2014, 06:20 PM
Apples and oranges. We aren't talking about the Bill of Rights here, or the question of whether releasing private information to the public is ethical.

We are talking about what happens if something that is said behind closed doors finds its way out into the open. Regardless of the way that occurs, it doesn't make the original sentiment any less substantial. Public opinion is what it is; once the news is out, there is no pulling it back in. Ask Beyonce.

I'm not saying it's right in every situation, but if you are going to say something that can somehow be forwarded along (i.e. word of mouth, recording, writing, etc.) then you have to be prepared to be accountable for it, otherwise it's probably best not said. These days, it's incredibly difficult to know when you are not being monitored, and it is incredibly easy to make news travel fast.

I get it's not apples to apples, was just trying to make a point. Most work for someone and it's not ok to record private convos and release them for money. I don't care who's doing it, government or private person, it's not right. But that's not the point. The point is that there have been plenty of reports out about this. He has said these things, been on record & no one did anything about it. If this was shocking news, I could see the outrage. But when these morally bankrupt people profit of this man knowingly, it rings pretty damn hollow.

Doesn't change the fact he should be gone and just because they didn't do anything before doesn't mean they shouldn't do something now, but just making a point.

Dex
04-29-2014, 06:26 PM
I get it's not apples to apples, was just trying to make a point. Most work for someone and it's not ok to record private convos and release them for money. I don't care who's doing it, government or private person, it's not right. But that's not the point. The point is that there have been plenty of reports out about this. He has said these things, been on record & no one did anything about it. If this was shocking news, I could see the outrage. But when these morally bankrupt people profit of this man knowingly, it rings pretty damn hollow.

Doesn't change the fact he should be gone and just because they didn't do anything before doesn't mean they shouldn't do something now, but just making a point.

I agree that the NBA probably could have acted swifter, if they are going to claim to be so gung-ho about it now. Silver came out like he was trying to sling the guns earlier, but when asked about past transgressions, there was nothing but awkward silence after he admitted that they'd known about it for a while.

~O~
04-29-2014, 06:27 PM
The thing is, you can't generalize any race completely. This is why stereotypes need to be overlooked. In terms of positive influence and positive lifestyle, there are various African Americans who are intelligent and destroy these stereotypes but never emphasized in the media for their accomplishments. Especially at historical black colleges. I'm a fan of science and one of my favorite Scientist besides Michio Kaku is Neil deGrasse Tyson who0 is one of my favorite people that meet my standards. There are some of my professors who have earned their doctorates and don't live the cliche lifestyle that is thrown in your face by music industry artists and athletes. The media isn't going to tell you "so and so" is an intelligent person within a racial minority, you're going to have to do that yourself. Good luck with trying to do that.

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2014, 06:27 PM

LOL i thought america is the land of the free, u can say whatever you want....

hater
04-29-2014, 06:29 PM
apparently Sterling will fight this. I'm sure he's got enough dirt on stern, NBA and owners that this might get very interesting....

Koolaid_Man
04-29-2014, 06:30 PM
apparently Sterling will fight this. I'm sure he's got enough dirt on stern, NBA and owners that this might get very interesting....

he can't fight shit..it's over..once the owners Vote the team belongs to Silver....The Sterling Cuck is gone

Expert
04-29-2014, 06:31 PM
so whats the difference between him saying it, compared to the state last year that introduce laws businesses can decline services to ethnic minorities? i think it was arizona?

States are autonomous, not franchises of the federal government.

Expert
04-29-2014, 06:32 PM
he can't fight shit..it's over..once the owners Vote the team belongs to Silver....The Sterling Cuck is gone

Randomly capitalizing Words for no Discernible reason is an Indication of lack of proper Education.

Koolaid_Man
04-29-2014, 06:34 PM
Randomly capitalizing Words for no Discernible reason is an Indication of lack of proper Education.

i Don'T disAgree :hat

hater
04-29-2014, 06:36 PM

when you have millions you can fight anything - OJ Simpson

Sterling has billions and the largest land owner in California. Not to mention his wife owns 50% of the CLippers.

SALE NOT GOING TO HAPPEN :lol

Koolaid_Man
04-29-2014, 06:37 PM
when you have millions you can fight anything - OJ Simpson

Sterling has billions and the largest land owner in California. Not to mention his wife owns 50% of the CLippers.

SALE NOT GOING TO HAPPEN :lol

you're a moron if you think that :lmao

hater
04-29-2014, 06:39 PM
you're a moron if you think that :lmao

only an imbecile would say that ^ :lol :lmao

Spur-Addict
04-29-2014, 06:40 PM
All you bitch ass niggas complaining over the legality and precedence etc etc are totally missing the point. This is a BRANDING issue. In addition to that, if you take into account the potential ramifications with coaches and players next year in a league that is OVERWHELMINGLY BLACK, everyone could be looking at a real shit show in one of the biggest markets in the world. There's NO WAY the league, or the owners are going to risk this especially with how global the game has become. We're talking about BILLIONS of dollars. So get off this racial bullshit, this "It isn't fair :cry:cry:cry wah wah nigga shit, eat a dick and STFU. It's about the money, and the integrity of the game, and the CONTINUITY of the product, PERIOD. MOVE ON

Koolaid_Man
only an imbecile would say that ^ :lol :lmao

I don't deny it moron :lmao

ElNono

DPG21920

You will like this article:
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10857899/shame-david-stern-nba-letting-donald-sterling-stick-around

Spurs9
04-29-2014, 06:41 PM
It wouldn't have been a issue unless the media sensationalized it like they did. If it had been a black owner saying they didn't like whites, you would never hear about it. Make it something against blacks and let all hell break loose, same thing with Trayvon Martin case. Did Donald have all white players and coaches on this team tbh? People can have their own views but not necessarily broadcast them. The fact is some gold digging bitch got mad at something and recorded a personal conversation to get him back. What if you worked for a employeer trying to be trending and be "accepting" and they found a post you had a few months back calling someone a faggot like we see in every other post. I don't agree with what he said, but I don't buy that double standards bullshit of a recording of a private conversation.

hater
04-29-2014, 06:41 PM
I don't deny it moron :lmao

agree, imbecile :lmao

DMX7
04-29-2014, 06:45 PM
What he says seems very inconsistent with what he does. He even hired a black coach.

Koolaid_Man
04-29-2014, 06:50 PM
What he says seems very inconsistent with what he does. He even hired a black coach.

LOL - you got it all wrong...... can you say PR STUNT?

Clipper Nation
04-29-2014, 06:51 PM

He can fight the league, but he won't win, because as an owner, he agreed to the league constitution that has been used to oust him....

Koolaid_Man
04-29-2014, 06:52 PM
this is my favorite line since I already know about how white guys love being cucked...he confirmed it tbh

I support them and give them food, and clothes, and cars, and houses. Who gives it to them? Does someone else give it to them? Do I know that I have—Who makes the game? Do I make the game, or do they make the game?

Expert
04-29-2014, 06:55 PM
this is my favorite line since I already know about how white guys love being cucked...he confirmed it tbh

The white plantation owners were the original cucksters... they cucked all your (fake) people and that's why your children have last names like Jefferson, Washington and Johnson.. no Umbubu or Combabumume. You were cucked for 300 years, and that's how you got here.

Thebesteva
04-29-2014, 06:56 PM

:lol that sig

HI-FI
04-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Sterling needs to sign up on SpursTalk, we don't discriminate. :tu

Thebesteva
04-29-2014, 07:49 PM

:-D

Clipper Nation
04-29-2014, 08:01 PM
He and Avante could bond over "Lorenzo Neal's beautiful black body" :lol

rogues
04-29-2014, 08:01 PM
He and Avante could bond over "Lorenzo Neal's beautiful black body" :lol
:lmao..

SpursDynasty
04-29-2014, 08:02 PM
This Donald Sterling stuff has nothing to do with the day to day operations of the NBA, the playoffs, or even the Clippers as a basketball team in the playoffs.

They need to quit trying to make dramas out of this. And the notion of any players boycotting the NBA or the games or playing, is total bullsh** so they can drop that as well.

Yes, he needs to be gone, and he will be soon, but please, move on from this please, NBA.

Clipper Nation
04-29-2014, 08:07 PM
This Donald Sterling stuff has nothing to do with the day to day operations of the NBA, the playoffs, or even the Clippers as a basketball team in the playoffs.

They need to quit trying to make dramas out of this. And the notion of any players boycotting the NBA or the games or playing, is total bullsh** so they can drop that as well.

Yes, he needs to be gone, and he will be soon, but please, move on from this please, NBA.
Sup, timvp.... does it "still hurt"? :cry

Malik Hairston
04-29-2014, 08:22 PM
Bomani's take was by far the best take on this issue, tbh, as usual..

I recommend that everybody check it out, it was on yesterday's Dan Lebatard podcast..

He took a shit on 99% of the people discussing this issue, as they're all pretending to give a shit for attention, tbh, as I've been saying(including the Clippers players and coaches)..

Thebesteva
04-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Bomani's take was by far the best take on this issue, tbh, as usual..

I recommend that everybody check it out, it was on yesterday's Dan Lebatard podcast..

He took a shit on 99% of the people discussing this issue, as they're all pretending to give a shit for attention, tbh, as I've been saying(including the Clippers players and coaches)..

Was listening to it earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6bLKe9-Mto

Koolaid_Man
04-29-2014, 08:29 PM
The white plantation owners were the original cucksters... they cucked all your (fake) people and that's why your children have last names like Jefferson, Washington and Johnson.. no Umbubu or Combabumume. You were cucked for 300 years, and that's how you got here.

Actually I got here because the civil war killed off all your peeps....you got here because the civil war was fought over the slave trade...no slave trade...no civil war....no civil war no DMC or Kool :hatplus I'm African remember? the African named Cedric....how quick we forget :lol

DPG21920
04-29-2014, 08:55 PM
DPG21920

You will like this article:
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10857899/shame-david-stern-nba-letting-donald-sterling-stick-around

I did - thanks for sharing. Finally a few people are focusing on the other major issues here. Like I said, even though most media won't say anything, I can't believe that I even feel an ounce of pity for Sterling. He deserves everything, but this entire process was sleazy, un-American & full of a bunch of hypocritical people grandstanding for their own interests and not a cause.

I am just waiting for someone credible to go the next step and call out not only the NAACP and Stern/NBA, but Doc and these players that knew damn well what they were doing when they freely choose to play for Sterling.

dallasmaverickslose
04-29-2014, 09:16 PM

What also annoys the shit out of me is you have all these morons on sports show complaining that Silver hasn't done enough or should have gotten rid of him a long time ago. Really? You just want the NBA to abuse its power for the sake of your demands? Calm the hell down. Sterling will be completely disconnected from basketball soon enough. Let the legal process play out. That's just the way it is.

jimbo
04-29-2014, 09:38 PM
The power to terminate is limited to things like gambling and fraud in the application for ownership, but it also includes a provision for termination when an owner "fails to fulfill" a "contractual obligation" in "such a way as to affect the [NBA] or its members adversely." Silver and the owners could assert that Sterling's statements violated the constitution's requirements to conduct business on a "reasonable" and "ethical" level.

This is basically what FWD was alluding to, and what Silver also mentioned. The fact that the Clippers (and by association, the league), lost sponsorship over his actions, would seem to fit the bill.

Obviously the threshold is high, but it doesn't look like there's a legal impediment to do it.

Well now they actually released the bylaws, I'm not gonna scour through it line by line or anything. Someone else on the internet'll do it.

http://mediacentral.nba.com/media/mediacentral/NBA-Constitution-and-By-Laws.pdf

So Silver fined him under 24l. (For his "ban") I'm not sure what rule he broke that has no specific penalty though.

(l) The Commissioner shall, wherever there is a rule for which no penalty is specifically fixed for violation thereof, have the authority to fix such penalty as in the Commissioner’s judgment shall be in the best interests of the Association. Where a situation arises which is not covered in the Constitution and By-Laws, the Commissioner shall have the authority to make such decision, including the imposition of a penalty, as in his judgment shall be in the best interests of the Association. The penalty that may be assessed under the preceding two sentences may include, without limitation, a fine, suspension, and/or the forfeiture or assignment of draft choices. No monetary penalty fixed under this provision shall exceed $2,500,000.

and then this might be the rule that he's going after for the "contractual obligation" part to "terminate" his membership

35A (c)

(c) Any person who gives, makes, issues, authorizes or endorses any statement having, or designed to have, an effect prejudicial or detrimental to the best interests of basketball or of the Association or of a Member or its Team, shall be liable to a fine not exceeding $1,000,000 to be imposed by the Commissioner. The Member whose Owner, Officer, Manager, Coach or other employee has been so fined shall pay the amount of the fine should such person fail to do so within ten (10) days of its imposition.
Or I'd guess its a part of another agreement they have, in that case we don't know anything.

Then we have the termination part itself

(a) Willfully violate any of the provisions of the Constitution and By-Laws, resolutions, or agreements of the Association.

or

(d) Fail or refuse to fulfill its contractual obligations to the Association, its Members, Players, or any other third party in such a way as to affect the Association or its Members adversely.

I know I wouldn't be certain that I could get Sterling on the "willfully" part in 13a. Silver has to have a whole lot of confidence coming from somewhere if he's saying he wants to oust Sterling without even talking to all the owners, so it has to be something regarding 13d. I've got no idea what.

Silver and the owners could assert that Sterling's statements violated the constitution's requirements to conduct business on a "reasonable" and "ethical" level.

I don't know where this is from (it's not in the constitution the NBA released) or if Silver is even relying on it. I doubt it, it doesn't seem to match how confident Silver is acting right now. I'm sure you could come up with a few counterarguments to defend Sterling.

I get that line of reasoning for banning or terminating him, I just don't know where specifically in their constitution it's at. You'd think they'd have to have more evidence than just the lost sponsorships to say it's a reasonable application of joint partner inter-entity rules. I don't know the values of those contracts, but you'd think they'd pale in comparison to the value of the Clippers. (And potentially the revenue Sterling would lose by a forced sale)

I was just saying that even with a valid reason for terminating him like you're describing, the antitrust claims have the potential to make this a messy process spanning a few years. I've got no idea on how the specifics'll play out. The huge undervaluation of the Clippers might hurt them. The NBA'll be able to easily get over what they're valued at, so how is Sterling going to be able to claim that he's getting underpaid? Plenty of arguments to be made, I'm just curious on how it'll turn out. I'm excited about it tbh.

Infinite_limit
04-29-2014, 10:19 PM
NBA 2014 RIP

I'm finished. I won't watch as people that hate the color of my skin make millions of dollars bouncing a ball

Spurs9
04-29-2014, 10:36 PM
Was listening to it earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6bLKe9-Mto

Great vid

Infinite_limit
04-29-2014, 10:47 PM
People still watch ESPN?

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-29-2014, 11:15 PM
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bma5xG0CQAAUizW.jpg:medium

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2014, 11:27 PM
the black community might have win today, yet they wiill not take todays win and move forward to improve themselves

they will continue to sit back and hold onto that monopoly card

Infinite_limit
04-29-2014, 11:54 PM
This is OJ Simpson all over again

TDMVPDPOY
04-30-2014, 12:09 AM
This is OJ Simpson all over again

this reminds me of acmilans president who organize sex orgies with underage girls, yet nothing happen to him...just resign and move on

Thebesteva
04-30-2014, 12:11 AM
Floyd Mayweather now interested in buying the Clippers LOL a racist replacing a racist

ElNono
04-30-2014, 12:14 AM
I get that line of reasoning for banning or terminating him, I just don't know where specifically in their constitution it's at. You'd think they'd have to have more evidence than just the lost sponsorships to say it's a reasonable application of joint partner inter-entity rules. I don't know the values of those contracts, but you'd think they'd pale in comparison to the value of the Clippers. (And potentially the revenue Sterling would lose by a forced sale)

I was just saying that even with a valid reason for terminating him like you're describing, the antitrust claims have the potential to make this a messy process spanning a few years. I've got no idea on how the specifics'll play out. The huge undervaluation of the Clippers might hurt them. The NBA'll be able to easily get over what they're valued at, so how is Sterling going to be able to claim that he's getting underpaid? Plenty of arguments to be made, I'm just curious on how it'll turn out. I'm excited about it tbh.

If a judge agrees that the commish decisions are as good as any arbitration ruling, then Sterling is toast. And the precedent is on the arbitration side, all the way to the Supreme Court.

I'm just thinking they could negotiate a way out. Perhaps create a trust owned by his wife and son, and move ownership there. He makes a lot of money off other businesses, so this is more about keeping the team in the family than him specifically.

baseline bum
04-30-2014, 12:21 AM
Floyd Mayweather now interested in buying the Clippers LOL a racist replacing a racist

Gonna be just as bankrupt as Pacquiao in 5 years.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
04-30-2014, 12:21 AM
:lmao Spurfan are the stupidest fucks on the planet

Thebesteva
04-30-2014, 12:22 AM
Gonna be just as bankrupt as Pacquiao in 5 years.

I think Pac will have $ before May does

TDMVPDPOY
04-30-2014, 12:29 AM

no way sterling is letting this sell for anything less then 2b when magic is also interested after his group did shelled out 2b for a baseball team...

Clipper Nation
04-30-2014, 02:09 AM
http://imgur.com/UjWMjo2.gif

Jacob1983
04-30-2014, 03:12 AM
I wonder if Silver has ever said the n-word behind closed doors? If so, should his life be destroyed?

Baam
04-30-2014, 03:20 AM
I wonder if Silver has ever said the n-word behind closed doors? If so, should his life be destroyed?

Cuban looks like the smartest mofo of the bunch saying it sets a dangerous precedent... Especially since we're virtually recorded h24...

Jacob1983
04-30-2014, 03:35 AM
I think Cuban would be the next owner to go on the next episode of NBA Owner Witch Hunt.

I just laugh at all the judging and stoning. All these black people acting like they've never said or are incapable of saying anything offensive and/or hurtful. Hilarious.

LkrFan
04-30-2014, 06:55 AM
New logo unveiled:

http://getthatpaperson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Donald-Sterling-Clippers-Meme_Cover1.jpg

:lol

LkrFan
04-30-2014, 06:57 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/10268681_599814546781597_3463159744596844117_n.jpg

:lol

Franklin
04-30-2014, 09:29 AM
Monkeyball's dad is a cuckold I guess. Monkeyball doesn't look black at all (regardless of his athleticism).

Franklin
04-30-2014, 09:39 AM
Also, banning an 81yr old fuck for life doesn't sound any harsher than hanging a dead dog.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2014, 02:18 PM
lol ST racists in mourning

jimbo
04-30-2014, 08:08 PM
If a judge agrees that the commish decisions are as good as any arbitration ruling, then Sterling is toast. And the precedent is on the arbitration side, all the way to the Supreme Court.

I'm just thinking they could negotiate a way out. Perhaps create a trust owned by his wife and son, and move ownership there. He makes a lot of money off other businesses, so this is more about keeping the team in the family than him specifically.

Silver's decisions are already as good as an arbitration ruling because he's the NBA's final arbiter. So the award will be confirmed in court. And are you talking about precedent for antitrust rulings being able to be arbitrated or for arbitration awards being (almost always) final? I think almost everyone has accepted that Sterling isn't getting the ban undone. That's final.

As for the antitrust claim, this is where I'm confused on what'll happen. I don't know if whatever arbitration agreement Sterling has with the NBA actually does encompass antitrust violations. If it does, Silver shouldn't be able to be the arbiter because of the conflict of interest. At that point I'd guess Sterling could choose to go through the arbitration process (if it exists) or he could claim that the provision used to terminate him was unlawful (and therefore unenforceable) because the antitrust implications. If this isn't covered by the arbitration agreement, he can sue because the waiver of recourse wouldn't extend to antitrust claims.

& yeah I think he'd want to keep the team in the family. I doubt he'd be able to do it though since the NBA still has to approve an ownership transfer, but it could help with his antitrust claims. I don't even have a clue about the tax law implications, but with a trust or him transferring enough money to his wife to make a bid on the Clippers if the NBA were to block the bid that would be another area where they could point out an illegal restraint of trade. (fwiw, I haven't read the part about the constitution regarding new membership and how they'd block it)

Additionally, there was someone talking about how there were huge tax implications if Sterling were to sell now vs if he passed it onto his family in his will. Selling now he'd get taxed on the net revenue from the Clippers sale (1 bil - the sub 20 mil or whatever he paid) whereas if he passed it to his family in his will the original value would be changed to market price (1 bil - 1 bil) and so they'd only have to deal with estate taxes instead.

So it's in his best interest to get an injunction and keep this stretched out as long as possible to save a whole lot of money in taxes if he dies before it's settled. One theory I read was for him to divorce his wife who would then be entitled to half of the Clippers. I don't know how they'd even deal with that especially given that she hasn't done anything wrong. At the very least it drags out the process.

ElNono
04-30-2014, 09:04 PM
Silver's decisions are already as good as an arbitration ruling because he's the NBA's final arbiter. So the award will be confirmed in court. And are you talking about precedent for antitrust rulings being able to be arbitrated or for arbitration awards being (almost always) final? I think almost everyone has accepted that Sterling isn't getting the ban undone. That's final.

As for the antitrust claim, this is where I'm confused on what'll happen. I don't know if whatever arbitration agreement Sterling has with the NBA actually does encompass antitrust violations. If it does, Silver shouldn't be able to be the arbiter because of the conflict of interest. At that point I'd guess Sterling could choose to go through the arbitration process (if it exists) or he could claim that the provision used to terminate him was unlawful (and therefore unenforceable) because the antitrust implications. If this isn't covered by the arbitration agreement, he can sue because the waiver of recourse wouldn't extend to antitrust claims.

The bylaws he agreed to implicitly says he cannot challenge in a court of law. Doesn't make exceptions of any kind. I'm sure he'll try to litigate that, but it's going to be difficult for a guy that's been the longest tenured owner living under those rules to now turn around and challenge them (IMO). The NBA might also don't want to drag the bylaws into court oversight, since that could fuck up the entire league for a while, so we'll see. Maybe a settlement of sorts is in the horizon.

& yeah I think he'd want to keep the team in the family. I doubt he'd be able to do it though since the NBA still has to approve an ownership transfer, but it could help with his antitrust claims. I don't even have a clue about the tax law implications, but with a trust or him transferring enough money to his wife to make a bid on the Clippers if the NBA were to block the bid that would be another area where they could point out an illegal restraint of trade. (fwiw, I haven't read the part about the constitution regarding new membership and how they'd block it)

Additionally, there was someone talking about how there were huge tax implications if Sterling were to sell now vs if he passed it onto his family in his will. Selling now he'd get taxed on the net revenue from the Clippers sale (1 bil - the sub 20 mil or whatever he paid) whereas if he passed it to his family in his will the original value would be changed to market price (1 bil - 1 bil) and so they'd only have to deal with estate taxes instead.

So it's in his best interest to get an injunction and keep this stretched out as long as possible to save a whole lot of money in taxes if he dies before it's settled. One theory I read was for him to divorce his wife who would then be entitled to half of the Clippers. I don't know how they'd even deal with that especially given that she hasn't done anything wrong. At the very least it drags out the process.

I'm talking about transfer of ownership, which is allowed within the bylaws. The could arrange a deal where he files a transfer of ownership to a trust/kid/wife and the other owners promise not to strip him of ownership and approve the transfer. Under that scenario, there's no sale, it's a simply a transfer. He's out of the picture and his family retains the franchise.

EDIT: forgot to add, Silver can change or rescind the fine and/or ban. "lifetime" should be taken with a grain of salt.

HemisfairArena
04-30-2014, 09:38 PM
Never thought I'd see the day where we are penalized and accountable,,,financially for an opinion. It matters not if you think the person is right or wrong,,,,no one should have the power to take your business away from you if they don't agree with your views. Where does it stop? If I'm in power and I don't like where you stand,,,,I can take your restaurant or bar or store away from you because I think your wrong in your beliefs? What a joke this is becoming,,,,

ElNono
04-30-2014, 09:46 PM
Never thought I'd see the day where we are penalized and accountable,,,financially for an opinion. It matters not if you think the person is right or wrong,,,,no one should have the power to take your business away from you if they don't agree with your views. Where does it stop? If I'm in power and I don't like where you stand,,,,I can take your restaurant or bar or store away from you because I think your wrong in your beliefs? What a joke this is becoming,,,,

I get what you're saying, but this isn't new, at least not in the NBA. Cubes paid almost $2m in fines for merely stating his opinion.
This obviously goes further, but these guys signed an agreement to waive certain rights as part of becoming members of that exclusive club. Contract law is what it is, but he certainly can't claim he didn't know what he signed into.

Jacob1983
04-30-2014, 09:53 PM
I just laugh at all the race baiters and emo pussies that are sticking their chests out and high fiving each other over this. They honestly think they hurt this old Jew fuck? Doesn't he own like an ass load of real estate in Beverly Hills? And he basically holds all the cards in this because the NBA desperately wants him to sell the Clippers but you know he ain't gonna sell them for cheap. If Sterling accepts a small defeat and sells the Clippers, he will make a huge profit. I've heard he could get somewhere between 800 million dollars to 1 billion dollars.

jimbo
04-30-2014, 09:58 PM
The bylaws he agreed to implicitly says he cannot challenge in a court of law. Doesn't make exceptions of any kind. I'm sure he'll try to litigate that, but it's going to be difficult for a guy that's been the longest tenured owner living under those rules to now turn around and challenge them (IMO). The NBA might also don't want to drag the bylaws into court oversight, since that could fuck up the entire league for a while, so we'll see. Maybe a settlement of sorts is in the horizon.

Generally courts won't extend a waiver of recourse to antitrust claims though.

“even claims arising under a statute designed to further important social policies may be arbitrated because so long as the prospective litigant effectively may vindicate his or her statutory cause of action in the arbitral forum, the statute serves its functions.” (531 U.S. 79, 90 (2000) (citation omitted)).

The doctrine originated in Mitsubishi. There, the Supreme Court determined that international arbitration did not prevent effective vindication of a federal antitrust claim, but noted that an agreement could be contrary to U.S. public policy “in the event the choice-of-forum and choice-of-law clauses operated in tandem as a prospective waiver of a party’s right to pursue statutory remedies for antitrust violations” (473 U.S. 614, 637 n. 19 (1985)).

http://kluwerarbitrationblog.com/blog/2013/01/15/shedding-light-on-the-effective-vindication-doctrine/

The "effective vindication" exception to which respondents allude originated as dictum in Mitsubishi Motors, where we expressed a willingness to invalidate, on "public policy" grounds, arbitration agreements that "operat[e] . . . as a prospective waiver of a party's right to pursue statutory remedies."

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12pdf/12-133_19m1.pdf

A recent example in the sports world is with the series of lawsuits regarding American Needle vs the NFL. American Needle had also waived their right to sue, but got/is getting it to trial on antitrust claims.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/04/08/Law-and-Politics/American-Needle.aspx
http://cookcountyrecord.com/news/263928-decade-old-antitrust-case-against-nfl-plays-on-in-chicagos-federal-court-judge-flags-both-sides-requests-for-summary-judgment

I'm talking about transfer of ownership, which is allowed within the bylaws. The could arrange a deal where he files a transfer of ownership to a trust/kid/wife and the other owners promise not to strip him of ownership and approve the transfer. Under that scenario, there's no sale, it's a simply a transfer. He's out of the picture and his family retains the franchise.

I went back and read it. And yeah, the owners would still have to approve the transfer. If they did, there's nothing wrong with that. That's something I could see happening as a compromise, but I don't know if the NBA would even be willing to compromise on this. It makes sense to, but it also makes sense to just not force Sterling to sell. Just to me it feels like Silver is going for blood.

ElNono
04-30-2014, 10:22 PM
Generally courts won't extend a waiver of recourse to antitrust claims though.

http://kluwerarbitrationblog.com/blog/2013/01/15/shedding-light-on-the-effective-vindication-doctrine/

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12pdf/12-133_19m1.pdf

A recent example in the sports world is with the series of lawsuits regarding American Needle vs the NFL. American Needle had also waived their right to sue, but got/is getting it to trial on antitrust claims.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/04/08/Law-and-Politics/American-Needle.aspx
http://cookcountyrecord.com/news/263928-decade-old-antitrust-case-against-nfl-plays-on-in-chicagos-federal-court-judge-flags-both-sides-requests-for-summary-judgment

tbh, I'm not even sure if that applies. Because the bylaws don't actually say that decisions should go through arbitration (FAA), it simply says the owners agree not to challenge decisions in court.
That's not to say that Sterling wouldn't challenge that, and the avenue you bring about anti-trust law might be what they end up pursuing, but it's going to take some imagination to turn this into an anti-trust claim.
On the other hand...

I went back and read it. And yeah, the owners would still have to approve the transfer. If they did, there's nothing wrong with that. That's something I could see happening as a compromise, but I don't know if the NBA would even be willing to compromise on this. It makes sense to, but it also makes sense to just not force Sterling to sell. Just to me it feels like Silver is going for blood.

Sterling has some leverage. One thing the league cannot afford is that a judge rules the bylaws are unenforceable/unconstitutional. Even if they could appeal such ruling, if that should happen, the league has to come to a screeching halt. It would be a mess, and something I'm sure they would be very wary of. So I see plenty of room for negotiation if Sterling is willing to step aside personally and transfer the franchise to somebody else in the family. After the all, the problem is personified in him, not his kid or wife. And he has more than enough money and investments to finish his life very happily. The problem here is that I think he might've taken this entirely personal.

ChumpDumper
05-01-2014, 12:05 AM
lol the ST racists continue to be riled up.

Jacob1983
05-01-2014, 12:13 AM
Every human has some prejudice in them. We are imperfect beings.

ChumpDumper
05-01-2014, 12:15 AM
Aw, Jacob is his own biggest apologist! :tu

Jacob1983
05-01-2014, 12:17 AM
You racist just like everyone else. Admit it and own it, ass fuck.

ChumpDumper
05-01-2014, 01:14 AM
lol Jacob mad

Jacob1983
05-01-2014, 01:18 AM
Not mad. Just amused by all the pussies and softies in America. I got bullied, abused, and threatened 24/7 from elementary to graduation night in high school yet I didn't go cry to some organization and demand a parade or a medal or that someone's life be destroyed because my feelings were hurt. You got to be thick skinned in life. That experience molded me into what I am today. It made my heart cold and dark and taught me to always be on my guard because anyone and everyone can fuck you over in life.

ChumpDumper
05-01-2014, 02:27 AM
Not mad. Just amused by all the pussies and softies in America. I got bullied, abused, and threatened 24/7 from elementary to graduation night in high school yet I didn't go cry to some organization and demand a parade or a medal or that someone's life be destroyed because my feelings were hurt. You got to be thick skinned in life. That experience molded me into what I am today. It made my heart cold and dark and taught me to always be on my guard because anyone and everyone can fuck you over in life.You pretty much cry and demand a medal here every day.

Thebesteva
05-01-2014, 02:41 AM
Not mad. Just amused by all the pussies and softies in America. I got bullied, abused, and threatened 24/7 from elementary to graduation night in high school yet I didn't go cry to some organization and demand a parade or a medal or that someone's life be destroyed because my feelings were hurt. You got to be thick skinned in life. That experience molded me into what I am today. It made my heart cold and dark and taught me to always be on my guard because anyone and everyone can fuck you over in life.

Yup, medical school was a nasty and competitive experience for me. I was stunned to see grown as people acting so competitive and throw subtle low blows at stuff 24/7. I never experienced bullying except of course in high school a little but I kind of built the reputation of a fighter. In med school it was more about mental games with you and people bullying the 'weaker' person. I was kind of stunned, women could be the nastiest of them all and very tribal. Guys were mostly chill.

Sean Cagney
05-01-2014, 02:41 AM

Funny Timmay is with a girl right now and has never been seen with a man grabbing HIM LIKE MAGIC was in that one pic! The little boy camp type of pic Magic was in!! I guess your team beat them to it! Magic that is.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_drUMJ9HF-tQ/SwMDDV5ttoI/AAAAAAAAJe4/t8fIiVYkBYY/s1600/kiss.jpg

Look at him as well kissing his BUDDY ISIAH! How cute.

jimbo
05-01-2014, 12:41 PM
tbh, I'm not even sure if that applies. Because the bylaws don't actually say that decisions should go through arbitration (FAA), it simply says the owners agree not to challenge decisions in court.
That's not to say that Sterling wouldn't challenge that, and the avenue you bring about anti-trust law might be what they end up pursuing, but it's going to take some imagination to turn this into an anti-trust claim.
On the other hand...

It applies or at least some derived ruling of it does. The idea is that you have to have some form of "effective vindication" in pursuing statutory rights violations. (arbitration or otherwise) You aren't allowed to waive statutory rights that act in the benefit to public policy (or public good). Ex: You can't sign a contract with an employer that says you agree to be paid under minimum wage, otherwise there would be no point in even making the law in the first place if you could circumvent it so easily.

Even regardless, it would still apply. The bylaws say the rulings of the board of governors are considered an act of arbitration. As long as both parties agree on the arbitration conditions, it's fair game. I don't see how they could just decide the FAA doesn't apply to them unless they're going through the CA or NY arbitration laws. Regardless, Sterling still needs to have some sort of "effective vindication." If he doesn't, that part of the contract is void and he'd be able to sue.

But tbh it's pretty generally accepted that Sterling'll be able to at least have the chance to make an antitrust argument without getting summary judgment'd for the no sue clause.

& I think if even peons like myself can come up with a valid enough antitrust argument that it could get to trial, whoever Sterling hires with his billions'll have no problems coming up with an argument.

Sterling has some leverage. One thing the league cannot afford is that a judge rules the bylaws are unenforceable/unconstitutional. Even if they could appeal such ruling, if that should happen, the league has to come to a screeching halt. It would be a mess, and something I'm sure they would be very wary of. So I see plenty of room for negotiation if Sterling is willing to step aside personally and transfer the franchise to somebody else in the family. After the all, the problem is personified in him, not his kid or wife. And he has more than enough money and investments to finish his life very happily. The problem here is that I think he might've taken this entirely personal.

I'm not even gonna act like I know what's gonna happen. I never thought Silver would actually try to terminate Sterling in the first place. I never thought the owners would (supposedly) unanimously agree to get him out either. I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the process.

ElNono
05-01-2014, 01:44 PM
It applies or at least some derived ruling of it does. The idea is that you have to have some form of "effective vindication" in pursuing statutory rights violations. (arbitration or otherwise) You aren't allowed to waive statutory rights that act in the benefit to public policy (or public good). Ex: You can't sign a contract with an employer that says you agree to be paid under minimum wage, otherwise there would be no point in even making the law in the first place if you could circumvent it so easily.

Even regardless, it would still apply. The bylaws say the rulings of the board of governors are considered an act of arbitration. As long as both parties agree on the arbitration conditions, it's fair game. I don't see how they could just decide the FAA doesn't apply to them unless they're going through the CA or NY arbitration laws. Regardless, Sterling still needs to have some sort of "effective vindication." If he doesn't, that part of the contract is void and he'd be able to sue.

But tbh it's pretty generally accepted that Sterling'll be able to at least have the chance to make an antitrust argument without getting summary judgment'd for the no sue clause.

& I think if even peons like myself can come up with a valid enough antitrust argument that it could get to trial, whoever Sterling hires with his billions'll have no problems coming up with an argument.

Thanks. I'm sure they'll try to build a case. Whether it's convincing it's a different matter altogether.

I'm not even gonna act like I know what's gonna happen. I never thought Silver would actually try to terminate Sterling in the first place. I never thought the owners would (supposedly) unanimously agree to get him out either. I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the process.

yeah, I mean, he might file on a friendly court and shit can hit the wall pretty soon. But when you add appeals, etc, this can be a protracted battle. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to negotiate an out at some point.

BatManu20
05-01-2014, 10:14 PM
Whoa. Might be a shorter ban than we think.

Jacob1983
05-01-2014, 10:51 PM
No one give him any sympathy because he is a rich white racist. I don't think he can play his Jew card anymore or maybe Silver took it away.

Expert
05-01-2014, 11:59 PM
I just laugh at all the race baiters and emo pussies that are sticking their chests out and high fiving each other over this. They honestly think they hurt this old Jew fuck? Doesn't he own like an ass load of real estate in Beverly Hills? And he basically holds all the cards in this because the NBA desperately wants him to sell the Clippers but you know he ain't gonna sell them for cheap. If Sterling accepts a small defeat and sells the Clippers, he will make a huge profit. I've heard he could get somewhere between 800 million dollars to 1 billion dollars.

He's probably got 5 years left before he's worm food, and he's worth a couple thousand million now... what will another thousand million mean? He's banned from the game he spent most of his life being around in some form or fashion. There's no consolation prize for that. He's going to die being shunned by the basketball world, never will he be mentioned in the inner circles of greats, and he shall play no more reindeer games.

sook
05-02-2014, 12:20 AM
Yup, medical school was a nasty and competitive experience for me. I was stunned to see grown as people acting so competitive and throw subtle low blows at stuff 24/7. I never experienced bullying except of course in high school a little but I kind of built the reputation of a fighter. In med school it was more about mental games with you and people bullying the 'weaker' person. I was kind of stunned, women could be the nastiest of them all and very tribal. Guys were mostly chill.
Thebesteva, What med. school did you goto? Fuck all the gunners btw, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't super competitive either since I want to go into ENT or Derm.

Thebesteva
05-02-2014, 12:36 AM
Thebesteva (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=42939), What med. school did you goto? Fuck all the gunners btw, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't super competitive either since I want to go into ENT or Derm.

Initially was a veterinary medicine student, I actually have two years of veterinary medicine experience. Decided it wasnt for me and changed my career goals and attended Upenn. Gunners are faggots tbh

sook
05-02-2014, 12:42 AM
Initially was a veterinary medicine student, I actually have two years of veterinary medicine experience. Decided it wasnt for me and changed my career goals and attended Upenn. Gunners are faggots tbh

I goto a top 20 school, but damn... Upenn? Yea, you are definitely going to find hardcore gunners there. What residency did you end up going into btw, and was the gunner atmosphere still there?

jimbo
05-02-2014, 12:54 AM
Thanks. I'm sure they'll try to build a case. Whether it's convincing it's a different matter altogether.

Antitrust law can be really anti-intuitive sounding at times so honestly it's pretty hard to explain or convince a random person that it's a good or valid argument.

yeah, I mean, he might file on a friendly court and shit can hit the wall pretty soon. But when you add appeals, etc, this can be a protracted battle. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to negotiate an out at some point.

They'll be able to drag this on for years with all the avenues Sterling has to screw with the process. I was expecting Sterling to die before it ended even before the cancer announcement tbh. Silver apparently didn't have any problems with Sterling's wife since he allowed her go to the game. Maybe that actually will happen. Who would really have a problem with it, especially if Sterling is dead?

ElNono
05-02-2014, 01:03 AM
They'll be able to drag this on for years with all the avenues Sterling has to screw with the process. I was expecting Sterling to die before it ended even before the cancer announcement tbh. Silver apparently didn't have any problems with Sterling's wife since he allowed her go to the game. Maybe that actually will happen. Who would really have a problem with it, especially if Sterling is dead?

They don't even need the old guy to die... he hands it off to the family, they post a couple of tweets of how they're nothing like the old man... it's a win-win for everybody, except the expensive lawyers...

TDMVPDPOY
05-02-2014, 01:23 AM
They don't even need the old guy to die... he hands it off to the family, they post a couple of tweets of how they're nothing like the old man... it's a win-win for everybody, except the expensive lawyers...

but but the aids faggot will try and continue to stir the pot..his plans are already into fruition just a step away from succeeding, cant allow this to stop his grand plan

mudyez
05-02-2014, 05:16 AM
from a life suspension to the death row. well done silver!

Capt Bringdown
05-02-2014, 06:27 AM
He said some bad things about black people. But what did he do to black people?

TheSanityAnnex
05-02-2014, 01:31 PM

His family is probably hoping he can keep this in court until he dies to avoid a huge capital gains tax hit.

ElNono
05-02-2014, 02:36 PM
His family is probably hoping he can keep this in court until he dies to avoid a huge capital gains tax hit.

Whatever the tax hit is, is likely going to be cheaper than losing the franchise + lawyers fees from a protracted legal battle. I doubt this guy is hiring $100/hour lawyers, although knowing Sterling you never know :lol

Clipper Nation
05-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Sterling using the Kirby post-rape excuse:

lmbebo
05-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Read that if things get started, he may do the divorce route which may at least delay things indefinitely.
Also talk about he arguing willfull in the owners by laws, since this wasn't a willful statement.

I guess the woman who recorded there conversation tried to extort money from him. Some quote about him saying he should just have paid her (saw tweet on phone)
edit clipper nation just posted it

DJR210
05-02-2014, 11:43 PM
:lol Bishop Don Magic Juan was pimpin' that shit the whole time. I'm sorry, but that bitch is HURT.

http://www.vladtv.com/images/size_fs/video-189212.jpg

The Reckoning
05-03-2014, 12:24 PM
http://www.theonion.com/video/donald-sterling-just-glad-tape-recorder-batteries,35939/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:1:Default

onion with the goods

KobeOwnsDuncan
02-22-2015, 10:19 PM
Weak ass pussy Clippers. Using it as an excuse :lol