PDA

View Full Version : Applying to Grad School.. GRE help?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-29-2014, 07:50 PM
I'm going to apply early for the Physical Therapy program at UNC Spring semester (changed my mind on law) and I am required to take a shit ton of exams in order to have a chance of getting in.

One of them are the GRE. I see a bunch of practice exams online, they all seem to be outdated or redundant. One of my friends that took the exam said that the practice exams were inaccurate and out of nowhere.

What can I expect on this? Calculus/statistics and writing are the two main portions from what I've gathered. Any help is appreciated.

rogues
04-29-2014, 07:59 PM
Firstly, get rid of your cats..they can be a distraction..

Khans academy has some good stuff for the GRE quantitative section..given your financial situation, this would likely be beneficial to you..

Katherine Robinson
04-29-2014, 08:29 PM
Ask the resident physical therapy guru, Horse.

DJR210
04-29-2014, 08:42 PM
You can expect your cats to be neglected, and extremely lonely while you're occupied with school. You may want to consider an in house cat sitter as you do not want to remove them from their safe, loving, enviroment. You have to think about the cat's happiness too, you self centered son of a bitch.

superjames1992
04-29-2014, 08:42 PM
I'm going to apply early for the Physical Therapy program at UNC Spring semester (changed my mind on law) and I am required to take a shit ton of exams in order to have a chance of getting in.

One of them are the GRE. I see a bunch of practice exams online, they all seem to be outdated or redundant. One of my friends that took the exam said that the practice exams were inaccurate and out of nowhere.

What can I expect on this? Calculus/statistics and writing are the two main portions from what I've gathered. Any help is appreciated.
The GRE isn't all that bad, tbh. If you did well on the SAT, you should be fine. It's fairly similar, albeit a bit more difficult.

When you register for the GRE, you'll get access to a couple practice tests via the Powerprep software that comes with it on the ETS site. I took those two and they were pretty similar to the actual test, IMO.

baseline bum
04-29-2014, 08:46 PM
Isn't the GRE a computer exam now? And your score is based on how difficult of questions you get, which is based on how you do on the first few questions?

Strange Love
04-29-2014, 08:47 PM
did your girlfriend's sister dump more cats on you?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-29-2014, 08:49 PM
The GRE isn't all that bad, tbh. If you did well on the SAT, you should be fine. It's fairly similar, albeit a bit more difficult.

When you register for the GRE, you'll get access to a couple practice tests via the Powerprep software that comes with it on the ETS site. I took those two and they were pretty similar to the actual test, IMO.

I never took the SAT :lol I transferred from a Community College to NCSU so I wasn't required to take it.

superjames1992
04-29-2014, 08:55 PM
Isn't the GRE a computer exam now? And your score is based on how difficult of questions you get, which is based on how you do on the first few questions?
Yes, it is a computer exam.

It's changed a little now, though. There are 2-3 (the third section is experimental... not scored, but you don't know which it is when you're taking it) sections and how you do on the first section determines the difficulty of the questions you get on the next section.

In the past, the questions were more dynamic in that each question you got right or wrong would determine how difficult the next individual question was, but they changed that a few years ago, so now you can skip questions and come back to them (as long as they are within the same section), etc.

I never took the SAT :lol I transferred from a Community College to NCSU so I wasn't required to take it.
Well, if you got into NC State, you must be decently smart. I would think you'll do alright. What kind of scores do you need? I scored 161 on both the quantitative and verbal sections (87th percentile for verbal and 81st percentile for quantitative), but I think I only needed to be in the 60th or 70th percentiles for the program I was applying to. I took the exam in December, BTW.

There's also an essay (two, actually), but as long as you can write okay, that shouldn't be too bad. I got a 5.0 on that (93rd percentile). Of course, a lot of the engineers at State don't know how to write very well. :D

The essay is jointly graded by a computer and a human grader. Following the five-paragraph standard essay format seems to be recommended and that is what I did.

Thebesteva
04-29-2014, 09:06 PM
GRE's are not too bad, buy one of the GRE prep exam books. The vocab is super difficult, the writing is easy, and the math is solid tbh. Just start training as much as possible.

ploto
04-29-2014, 09:29 PM
There are questions now on the GRE that have multiple answers.

InRareForm
04-29-2014, 10:42 PM
dont do it, too much debt

The Reckoning
04-29-2014, 11:05 PM
lol i just took it twice with no GRE prep. first time was my "practice."

spurraider21
04-30-2014, 02:42 AM
as thunderpup said, khan academy is one of the most useful online resources for school... use it

i dont think its calculus heavy in the math side

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-30-2014, 05:14 AM
:lol poly sci major
:lol "physical therapy school"
:lol no future

LkrFan
04-30-2014, 06:14 AM
Take College Algebra. I believe that's the highest level of math on the test. If you take this class, schedule your GRE soon there afterwards while the knowledge is fresh on your mind and before you have a "data dump"
Find out if they still have PowerPrep CDs. If they do, you're in there. These CDs are old GRE tests. Taking tests on this CD will condition your mind to how the test will be. When you finally take the GRE, you'll be used to the testing style and be more comfortable.
Take a prep course if you can. College professors who are purported experts in their fields give classes that target the test content.

Good luck son.

GoodOdor
04-30-2014, 09:54 AM
"Physical theraphy" grad school:lol

Horse, can you hook this guy with a job in one of your asian parlors?:lol

Ricky Davis
04-30-2014, 10:04 AM
For the quantitative section, I would already start learning Range Kutta derivations (if you can learn Matlab for this, that will be HUGE, it's big on the GRE), transforming matrices into RREF form by hand is a must, remember to review your Laplace Transform derivations, and last but not least, every exam will require you to know how to perform line integrals and solve first order ODE's using the Wronskian method. Just review these and you'll be fine No Lyfe

Good luck! :tu

Ricky Davis
04-30-2014, 10:12 AM
don't forget the Bernoulli equation either. That always seems to sneak up on people

The Reckoning
04-30-2014, 10:49 AM
it was mostly college precal. i didn't even really study for it and i was well within the 75 percentile, but i did take college calculus...

the essay is the most frustrating part of it.

one of my questions was something along the lines of "the ability of a leader is demonstrated by the wealth of the populace. affirm or deny this statement." and then i had 30 minutes to answer it what the fuck.

the other question was basically "defend why liberal arts degrees matter."

The Gemini Method
04-30-2014, 10:54 AM
Defend why Liberal Arts degrees matter--the football players need a degree wink wink.

ashbeeigh
04-30-2014, 11:53 AM
Find a school that doesn't require it. That was my answer to Grad School.

The Gemini Method
04-30-2014, 12:35 PM

Fight on, Ashbeeigh. This is the end-all solution or--a program who gives you an different exam. I never had any issues with the GRE but I know that some people drop the ball when it comes to the grad school testing.

baseline bum
04-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Take College Algebra. I believe that's the highest level of math on the test. If you take this class, schedule your GRE soon there afterwards while the knowledge is fresh on your mind and before you have a "data dump"

Always cracks me up they call high school Algebra by the name College Algebra. And then when you take a real university level algebra course with groups, rings, modules, vector spaces, and the like everyone looks at you like a retard when you say your algebra class is difficult. But that's when I'd pull my copy of Lang out my backpack and ask them to tutor me. :lol

http://www.amazon.com/Algebra-Graduate-Texts-Mathematics-Serge/dp/038795385X

ashbeeigh
04-30-2014, 01:19 PM
Fight on, Ashbeeigh. This is the end-all solution or--a program who gives you an different exam. I never had any issues with the GRE but I know that some people drop the ball when it comes to the grad school testing.

It actually shocked me that a Top 10 program did not require a GRE. UTSA's program required a GRE. UT-Austin required a GRE. USC, nope. Not to mention, like you said, I'm a horrible test taker. The SAT vs. ACT struggle was real for me. ETS just has it out for me.

The Gemini Method
04-30-2014, 01:23 PM
It actually shocked me that a Top 10 program did not require a GRE. UTSA's program required a GRE. UT-Austin required a GRE. USC, nope. Not to mention, like you said, I'm a horrible test taker. The SAT vs. ACT struggle was real for me. ETS just has it out for me.

Many private schools are moving towards a non-GRE curriculum. It just doesn't prove in my opinion. Again, it is a measuring stick but it doesn't mean that a student cannot succeed in grad school. There are many programs that don't really require the GRE and some get you in the end. But yeah USC has been pretty much anti-GRE since I can remember.

tlongII
04-30-2014, 02:18 PM
Did you get rid of your cats yet? Or were you evicted?

baseline bum
04-30-2014, 02:30 PM
Many private schools are moving towards a non-GRE curriculum. It just doesn't prove in my opinion. Again, it is a measuring stick but it doesn't mean that a student cannot succeed in grad school. There are many programs that don't really require the GRE and some get you in the end. But yeah USC has been pretty much anti-GRE since I can remember.

If only grad school required doing high school level work; then the GRE would be relevant.

spurraider21
04-30-2014, 05:18 PM
:lol poly sci major
:lol "physical therapy school"
:lol no future
:lmao goddam, going in raw

im sure the GRE is loaded with poly sci questions like "what is freedom"

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-30-2014, 07:26 PM
For the quantitative section, I would already start learning Range Kutta derivations (if you can learn Matlab for this, that will be HUGE, it's big on the GRE), transforming matrices into RREF form by hand is a must, remember to review your Laplace Transform derivations, and last but not least, every exam will require you to know how to perform line integrals and solve first order ODE's using the Wronskian method. Just review these and you'll be fine No Lyfe

Damn Ricky, you've been hitting the books.

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-30-2014, 07:29 PM
:lmao goddam, going in raw

im sure the GRE is loaded with poly sci questions like "what is freedom"

":crywhen is war necessary:cry"

FkLA
04-30-2014, 07:33 PM

:lol

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-30-2014, 07:53 PM
":crywhen is war necessary:cry"

:lol and if I get a semi-decent job I will more than likely make more than the highest salary you will ever get in your life.. More than likely before I'm 35 :lol

MannyIsGod
04-30-2014, 07:59 PM
lol i just took it twice with no GRE prep. first time was my "practice."

I took it once with no prep sucka. Didn't need practice.

MannyIsGod
04-30-2014, 08:00 PM

I loled

MannyIsGod
04-30-2014, 08:05 PM
The GRE isn't going to break your grad school app unless you really bomb it. Just do work out of the prep book if you're nervous. ETS offers practice tests online that are the exact same for the verbal and quantitative and are timed if you want to do that. I really doubt any admissions department is going to look at your GRE and go HOLY SHIT we HAVE TO ADMIT HIM! Its mainly to make sure you're not totally stupid.

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-30-2014, 08:06 PM
:lol and if I get a semi-decent job I will more than likely make more than the highest salary you will ever get in your life.. More than likely before I'm 35 :lol

At age 23, I'll make 65k this year + whatever my bonus is.

Your poly sci degree is never gonna sniff that :lmao

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-30-2014, 08:08 PM

:lol and look up starting salaries for Phy Therapists..

Actually, lemme help you out with that: http://physical-therapy.advanceweb.com/Web-Extras/Online-Extras/2013-Salary-Survey-Results-2.aspx

With an average salary of $81,110 in 2012, physical therapists are well paid for their work. Physical therapists generally earn more than workers in many other health care jobs, including physical therapist assistants ($52,320), occupational therapists ($76,400) and speech language pathologists ($72,730).

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-30-2014, 08:14 PM
:lol and look up starting salaries for Phy Therapists..

Actually, lemme help you out with that: http://physical-therapy.advanceweb.com/Web-Extras/Online-Extras/2013-Salary-Survey-Results-2.aspx

From what you posted:

http://physical-therapy.advanceweb.com/SharedResources/Images/2013/031113/SalaryExperience.jpg

:lol so assuming you get into physical therapy school, complete it, do well enough to get a decent starting job, you'll make several thousand less than me.

:lol I suggest you brush up on your math for the GRE

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-30-2014, 08:18 PM
From what you posted:

http://physical-therapy.advanceweb.com/SharedResources/Images/2013/031113/SalaryExperience.jpg

:lol so assuming you get into physical therapy school, complete it, do well enough to get a decent starting job, you'll make several thousand less than me.

:lol in other words, when I start out, I'll be making just as much as you, except working less than 60 hours (compared to you) and actually being able to keep a life.

Again, not looking up posts yourself. I will comfortably make more than you within my first five years.. if not more initially.. depending on my job. UNC is has one of the top Physical Therapy programs in the country.

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-30-2014, 08:22 PM
:lol in other words, when I start out, I'll be making just as much as you, except working less than 60 hours (compared to you) and actually being able to keep a life.

Again, not looking up posts yourself. I will comfortably make more than you within my first five years.. if not more initially.. depending on my job. UNC is has one of the top Physical Therapy programs in the country.

$62,784 isn't as much as $65k + bonus. You should really brush up on your math.

At age 23, you'll still be in school so you won't exactly be making more initially, and that's assuming you get in :lol. If UNC's physical therapy program is that good, it probably doesn't accept poly sci majors who get evicted from their apartment over cats.

The Reckoning
04-30-2014, 08:29 PM
i think one of the things i've learned is that money isn't important once it suits your needs. the more shit you buy, the more miserable you are, imo. most people value it more than it's worth. i'd rather be outside doing cool shit and traveling than making more sitting in a cubicle 9-5 five days a week with two weeks vacay.

but i don't plan on having a fam for another 10 years (or ever) so i guess that comes into play.

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-30-2014, 08:33 PM
i think one of the things i've learned is that money isn't important once it suits your needs. the more shit you buy, the more miserable you are, imo. most people value it more than it's worth. i'd rather be outside doing cool shit and traveling than making more sitting in a cubicle 9-5 five days a week with two weeks vacay.

but i don't plan on having a fam for another 10 years (or ever) so i guess that comes into play.

:lol that's because you live in Australia. You don't live in a country where it's pretty much get rich or live in poverty.

The Reckoning
04-30-2014, 08:48 PM
:lol that's because you live in Australia. You don't live in a country where it's pretty much get rich or live in poverty.

true dat min wage here for adults is 20 bucks an hour

FkLA
04-30-2014, 08:50 PM

Aren't you kinda forced to have this mindset if you have a liberal arts degree? Money doesn't buy happiness but it makes it a lot easier tbh.

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-30-2014, 08:55 PM
Aren't you kinda forced to have this mindset if you have a liberal arts degree? Money doesn't buy happiness but it makes it a lot easier tbh.

The Reckoning doesn't have a liberal arts degree but that's beside the point as you're correct.

Teachers would say :crymoney isn't everything:cry a lot in middle school + high school, as if they know for sure that they wouldn't be any happier if they had more disposable income.

Just comparing how I lived in college to how I live now, there's a lot less stress/worry when you're not living paycheck to paycheck and you actually have a savings account.

The Reckoning
04-30-2014, 08:55 PM

there are a lot of liberal arts degrees that pay well. economics, geography (GIS), etc etc.

The Reckoning
04-30-2014, 08:57 PM
The Reckoning doesn't have a liberal arts degree but that's beside the point as you're correct.

Teachers would say :crymoney isn't everything:cry a lot in middle school + high school, as if they know for sure that they wouldn't be any happier if they had more disposable income.

Just comparing how I lived in college to how I live now, there's a lot less stress/worry when you're not living paycheck to paycheck and you actually have a savings account.

that's because teachers often work from 6am-7pm, have ignorant students and shit parents, and generally hate their lives while only making 35-40k a year. apples and oranges tbh.

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-30-2014, 08:59 PM
that's because teachers often work from 6am-7pm, have ignorant students and shit parents, and generally hate their lives while only making 35-40k a year. apples and oranges tbh.

I'm saying teachers constantly claim they're ultra happy and don't need money so I'm not sure what your point is tbh.

The Reckoning
04-30-2014, 09:05 PM
I'm saying teachers constantly claim they're ultra happy and don't need money so I'm not sure what your point is tbh.

i'm saying they're delusional and can't speak for the rest of the workforce. plus they often marry for money (the famous teacher and doctor combo), so they're full of shit.

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-30-2014, 09:07 PM
i'm saying they're delusional and can't speak for the rest of the workforce. plus they often marry for money (the famous teacher and doctor combo), so they're full of shit.

Well in that case I'd say anyone who's living paycheck to paycheck or anything close to it and claims they're happy with the money they have is kidding his/herself :lol

The Reckoning
04-30-2014, 09:09 PM
Well in that case I'd say anyone who's living paycheck to paycheck or anything close to it and claims they're happy with the money they have is kidding his/herself :lol

nah i'm saying they don't have the authority to speak on it because their jobs fucking suck. i say any job when you can wear flip flops and shorts to work is a good one.

The Reckoning
04-30-2014, 09:16 PM
ya know what i'm sayin?

Ricky Davis
04-30-2014, 09:22 PM

roflrofl

sounds like every liberal arts major I talked to in college. "I'm gonna get accepted into the top [underwater basketweaving nonsense] program and make six figures a year!!!"

Cool way to avoid the real world by using the more school route as an excuse :tu

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-30-2014, 09:24 PM
:lmao

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-30-2014, 09:24 PM
roflrofl

sounds like every liberal arts major I talked to in college. "I'm gonna get accepted into the top [underwater basketweaving nonsense] program and make six figures a year!!!"

Cool way to avoid the real world by using the more school route as an excuse :tu

I'm not a liberal arts major.. and I have a Bio minor.

But ok lol

The Reckoning
04-30-2014, 09:26 PM
roflrofl

I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Consulting.

spurraider21
04-30-2014, 10:01 PM
:lmao underwater basketweaving

The Reckoning
04-30-2014, 10:02 PM
underwater basketweaving is a true skill that pays a shitload. ask any underwater welder :hat.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-qj1j1l-d8_Dkdrz4s4ocJuDHQUJAsjkizKdzkZw2nTM7wvruV8-wVQ

MannyIsGod
05-01-2014, 12:44 AM
FYI liberal arts includes the sciences and math. The term you're all looking for is humanities.

sook
05-01-2014, 01:08 AM
NLS, I've learned that the best way to do well is to stop asking other people /thinking about how you will do...and just immersing yourself within the material. I spent a couple of months studying for the MCAT while I was taking 18 hrs. There was a point where I was making excuses for myself and telling people about "How hard it was." After my 3rd practice test it was clear that I was either going to do well, or I wasn't, so I made the necessary time to lock myself in my room and work my ass off even if it was into the late hours of the night. It paid off, but it sure as hell wasn't anything to talk about.

So in conclusion, I don't mean to sound harsh...but if you're going to do well it is going to be due to your own accord...not asking about it on a basketball forum.

Infinite_limit
05-01-2014, 01:17 AM
Degree in STEM fields or you are wasting your time & money

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-01-2014, 04:30 AM
FYI liberal arts includes the sciences and math. The term you're all looking for is humanities.

Whatever you wanna call it, poly sci is easily one of the most worthless majors out there.

I know a former poly sci major who sells vacuums out of a trailer :lol

Franklin
05-01-2014, 06:43 AM
It's a waste of time & money anyway if one stays emotionally dependent on cats, imho.

baseline bum
05-01-2014, 07:27 AM

LOL, but you forgot exterior algebra, signed measures, and the Radon-Nikodym theorem tbh.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
05-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Whatever you wanna call it, poly sci is easily one of the most worthless majors out there.

Enjoy making 60k and working over 60 hours a week including weekends, holidays, etc.

I, on the other hand, will be able to work 40 hours, have most weekends off, and holidays, and still make about 10k to your superior.

So kindly shut the hell up and go finish your quota before you have to work through your vacation days.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
05-01-2014, 09:34 AM

DoK is retarded :lol

The Gemini Method
05-01-2014, 10:25 AM
How low in your own life do you have to be to shit on someone else's choice in what they major in? That, in itself, is indicative of a fault in your own life. Who gives a fuck if Scrub wants to study Feline Behavior or Political Science. Its his prerogative and if he's happy doing that, then he's where he needs to be. Bring that cash home, homie. Continue on making the skrilla any way you can and if you want to be a Political Science major in grad school, then do it. Purina to Champagne and Caviar lifestyles, bruh.

GoodOdor
05-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Enjoy making 60k and working over 60 hours a week including weekends, holidays, etc.

I, on the other hand, will be able to work 40 hours, have most weekends off, and holidays, and still make about 10k to your superior.

So kindly shut the hell up and go finish your quota before you have to work through your vacation days.

How much in debt do you have to go for that masters degree?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
05-01-2014, 11:41 AM
How much in debt do you have to go for that masters degree?

I will have a ph.D if I complete it.

spurraider21
05-01-2014, 03:15 PM

A poly Sci degree on its own is worthless, but most poly Sci majors pursue grad school like law school or such

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-01-2014, 09:02 PM
A poly Sci degree on its own is worthless, but most poly Sci majors pursue grad school like law school or such

Right, which is why it's a retarded major. You don't need a poly sci degree to go to law school, you can get a STEM or business degree and still get into law school.

spurraider21
05-01-2014, 09:14 PM
Right, which is why it's a retarded major. You don't need a poly sci degree to go to law school, you can get a STEM or business degree and still get into law school.
true, but if you have your heart set on law school (not physical therapy rofl), might as well go poly sci since it's one of the easiest majors on most campuses next to communications, tbh

all the athletes at ucla are history/communication/poly sci

FkLA
05-01-2014, 10:00 PM
How low in your own life do you have to be to shit on someone else's choice in what they major in? That, in itself, is indicative of a fault in your own life. Who gives a fuck if Scrub wants to study Feline Behavior or Political Science. Its his prerogative and if he's happy doing that, then he's where he needs to be. Bring that cash home, homie. Continue on making the skrilla any way you can and if you want to be a Political Science major in grad school, then do it. Purina to Champagne and Caviar lifestyles, bruh.

You'd be annoyed too if you had to bust your ass during college while these assholes got through it by reading flash cards tbh.

FkLA
05-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Honestly they should have separate little schools for some of these bullshit majors. They have no business being part of a university. Don't call it a diploma either, just a certificate or something. You want to go to law school via poltical science? Complete your training, earn your certificate and then apply tbh.

sook
05-01-2014, 10:29 PM
You'd be annoyed too if you had to bust your ass during college while these assholes got through it by reading flash cards tbh.

Whats your beef bro? You get what you put in. I had to work my ass off in college too, and will also have to work my ass off for another 7 years before I can actually start earning as a physician (residency pay isn't really "pay"..). If someone loves Dairy Science, thats their biddness.

MI21
05-02-2014, 01:46 AM
From what you posted:

Is that all you make in the US for this sort of job?

My wife is 4th year out of university as a Physiotherapist (assuming that's same as physical therapist) and making around $90-95,000 per year working 35 hours a week. (4 weeks leave per year)

You can make $60,000 being a fucking secretary in Australia without spending 4-5 years getting a degree to become a physio. I knew the minimum wage was a lot different between the two countries, but didn't realize it was so large for professional jobs, tbh

The Reckoning
05-02-2014, 04:24 AM
^

see what i mean. there's no poverty in australia at all when you compare it to the US.

Ricky Davis
05-02-2014, 10:05 AM
Yeah it's a lot different in America. You can't just get a decent job without getting the right degree and being ultra competitive. It's kind of sink or swim. If you have a liberal arts or "humanities" degree, you have to go to additional school to even have a chance and it has to be a top school or else you'll be drowning in unpayable debt forever.

Ricky Davis
05-02-2014, 10:09 AM

:lol Ironically most of the people I know that majored in fields that they were just interested in (political science, philosophy, economics, etc) ended up hating it even more after college due to the retarded assignments, skipping over important parts, and overall political correctness.

Learn a valuable trade, then read about your interests in your spare time IMHO

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
05-02-2014, 10:18 AM

My wife is 4th year out of university as a Physiotherapist (assuming that's same as physical therapist) and making around $90-95,000 per year working 35 hours a week. (4 weeks leave per year)

You can make $60,000 being a fucking secretary in Australia without spending 4-5 years getting a degree to become a physio. I knew the minimum wage was a lot different between the two countries, but didn't realize it was so large for professional jobs, tbh

That's just annual and it is is a bit misleading. My cousin is a Phy Therapist and he has been for 3 years now and he's already pulling in 6 figures

MannyIsGod
05-02-2014, 10:19 AM

Whats your degree in?

MannyIsGod
05-02-2014, 10:23 AM
That's just annual and it is is a bit misleading. My cousin is a Phy Therapist and he has been for 3 years now and he's already pulling in 6 figures

You might want to actually finish a program before spending all your money.

DPG21920
05-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Somewhat related, I wanted to share that DPG just paid off the last of his Master's student loans! Officially debt free (outside of my house) and it feels pretty good.

Ricky Davis
05-02-2014, 11:25 AM
You don't live in a country where it's pretty much get rich or live in poverty.

+1000

gone are the baby boomer days where you could just drop out of college, work really really hard at your local grocery store and start a family w/ a house + 2 cars at the age of 30

DPG21920
05-02-2014, 11:45 AM
Congrats on pursuing a degree. If you are smart and work hard and have your priorities straight you can make good money doing almost anything. Decide on what's important to you, how much money you need to get there/make you personally happy, and work towards that.

That's different for every person. There is a threshhold for every person where making more money beyond a certain point does not equate to more happiness. The key is getting to that point so you can be not only a responsible person who is not a drain on others and self reliant, but happy with your life.

The Reckoning
05-02-2014, 11:51 AM
my saying is (copyright) if you're the best at what you do, you'll make money.

it's not about what you do within the system, it's about how you manipulate it to meet your own needs tbh

DD
05-02-2014, 11:58 AM
it's not about what you do within the system, it's about how you manipulate it to meet your own needs tbh
Yup, that's why so many choose welfare as a career.

ashbeeigh
05-02-2014, 12:59 PM
I just don't understand why you boys keep shitting on liberal arts and humanities. It's like China. When they made the one child rule everyone held onto their one boy, but now, there are all these horny Chinese 20 year olds running around with no girls to marry/whatever.

What happens when you need help? What happens if you have a mental breakdown? An engineer is not going to be able to fix your schizophrenia. A therapist or social worker will help you with that...yes...a doctor will prescribe medicine but there's more than just medicine in this world. What about kids? Who is going to teach your kids? Who is going to write the book you're reading? Who is going to post all the bullshit online? What about art? Yes, it's in the eye of the beholder, but arts fun at times. Those are all humanity degrees. God damnit you all annoy me.

I love what I do. I will be paying off my student loans for ages. I will hardly break 60k when I get 5+ years of experience. But, I am horrible at math and can't stand the idea of anything else. So, that's why I do what I do. It's a passion. And if you choose a career just for the money and hate it, then you're the dumb one.

baseline bum
05-02-2014, 01:57 PM
^ they could have fry cooks teach worthless classes like English and Art tbh

tlongII
05-02-2014, 03:01 PM
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CATS???

hehateme
05-02-2014, 03:20 PM
I just don't understand why you boys keep shitting on liberal arts and humanities. It's like China. When they made the one child rule everyone held onto their one boy, but now, there are all these horny Chinese 20 year olds running around with no girls to marry/whatever.

What happens when you need help? What happens if you have a mental breakdown? An engineer is not going to be able to fix your schizophrenia. A therapist or social worker will help you with that...yes...a doctor will prescribe medicine but there's more than just medicine in this world. What about kids? Who is going to teach your kids? Who is going to write the book you're reading? Who is going to post all the bullshit online? What about art? Yes, it's in the eye of the beholder, but arts fun at times. Those are all humanity degrees. God damnit you all annoy me.

I love what I do. I will be paying off my student loans for ages. I will hardly break 60k when I get 5+ years of experience. But, I am horrible at math and can't stand the idea of anything else. So, that's why I do what I do. It's a passion. And if you choose a career just for the money and hate it, then you're the dumb one.

In the end needs and wants are two different things. A job is a need, but the money is a want. You have to combine the two and set a median to find out what you are truly looking for. I took money over the "passion" so to speak because it enables me to go out and buy something I want and not have to worry about paying it off with a job that doesn't cover it. A good debate on this are school teachers and their lousy pay to babysit kids for close to 12 hours a day. I am pretty sure if they got paid equal to their work there would be a lot more "passion" to take that job.

ashbeeigh
05-02-2014, 03:28 PM
^ they could have fry cooks teach worthless classes like English and Art tbh

:rolleyes That may be the stupidest thing in this thread, to be honest.

In the end needs and wants are two different things. A job is a need, but the money is a want. You have to combine the two and set a median to find out what you are truly looking for. I took money over the "passion" so to speak because it enables me to go out and buy something I want and not have to worry about paying it off with a job that doesn't cover it. A good debate on this are school teachers and their lousy pay to babysit kids for close to 12 hours a day. I am pretty sure if they got paid equal to their work there would be a lot more "passion" to take that job.

And it's all perspective. I pick passion over money. It's not about the material things to me. I have an okay apartment, a nice car and can buy clothes and little things here and there when I need them with the money I make. And to say teachers don't make that much is really a myth. Teachers, after several years (granted that can be hard to get to) can make up to 60 something a year. While the education system can be debated, there's way more involved in "babysitting" 30 kids for 12 hours. Do you know any teachers? And compared to someone with a theology degree, philosophy degree, or even psychology that can be up to double their salary.

DD
05-02-2014, 03:32 PM

So hypocritical coming from a female. It's cool to choose a hobby over a career, unless it's a dude you want to date/marry, amirite?
See what your Dad says when you tell him you're marrying a Starbucks barista

ashbeeigh
05-02-2014, 03:35 PM
So hypocritical coming from a female. It's cool to choose a hobby over a career, unless it's a dude you want to date/marry, amirite?

Yeah. just because I'm a woman my opinion is invalid. Y'all complain about there not being any woman in this forum. This is exactly why. And if the guy I fall in love with is not making a ton of money that's cool. Whatever. We'll make it work.

DD
05-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Yeah. just because I'm a woman my opinion is invalid. Y'all complain about there not being any woman in this forum. This is exactly why. And if the guy I fall in love with is not making a ton of money that's cool. Whatever. We'll make it work.
The fact you're a woman does not make your opinion invalid, it's just amusing since most women look for financial security when selecting a permanent mate, tbh. Sure, there's love/lust in the beginning, but a broke dude is a worthless dude and the relationship will inevitably fail

hehateme
05-02-2014, 03:50 PM

And it's all perspective. I pick passion over money. It's not about the material things to me. I have an okay apartment, a nice car and can buy clothes and little things here and there when I need them with the money I make. And to say teachers don't make that much is really a myth. Teachers, after several years (granted that can be hard to get to) can make up to 60 something a year. While the education system can be debated, there's way more involved in "babysitting" 30 kids for 12 hours. Do you know any teachers? And compared to someone with a theology degree, philosophy degree, or even psychology that can be up to double their salary.

My wife actually teaches EC-4 and makes 48k a year (that's with a Masters). Her sister has a Ph.D in Psychology and makes only 20k more (granted she just attained her degree). Babysitting is a luke warm way of putting it but it comes close to the stories I hear about how kids want to learn nowadays. The justification for some jobs in reference to the pay just isn't good or worth the time put in.

ashbeeigh
05-02-2014, 03:53 PM
The fact you're a woman does not make your opinion invalid, it's just amusing since most women look for financial security when selecting a permanent mate, tbh. Sure, there's love/lust in the beginning, but a broke dude is a worthless dude and the relationship will inevitably fail

And you're basing "most women" off of?

My wife actually teaches EC-4 and makes 48k a year (that's with a Masters). Her sister has a Ph.D in Psychology and makes only 20k more (granted she just attained her degree). Babysitting is a luke warm way of putting it but it comes close to the stories I hear about how kids want to learn nowadays. The justification for some jobs in reference to the pay just isn't good or worth the time put in.

At least you have some experience within education. It makes me so upset when people say those things about teachers. And I'm sure you feel the same way. And I guess, for me, "baby-sitting" depends on the district, area taught and age of kids that you're dealing with. Of course you're going to be doing that with 5 year olds, but 18 year olds who are in AP classes not so much. And there is a middle ground.

DD
05-02-2014, 03:56 PM
It's only stupid if they're still fry cooks after obtaining their degrees.

MannyIsGod
05-02-2014, 04:02 PM

LOL @ you trying to justify things to this group. Do you really value most of the opinions in this thread? If you like what you do then do it.

I disagree with social work being under humanities. And sure, we need some art students and what not, but an art student at the 400th ranked program in the nation is just wasting their time and money. Actually, thats the case for most of the humanity degrees.

MannyIsGod
05-02-2014, 04:04 PM

Teachers don't make much money for the amount of work they put in. 60,000 isn't that much, IMO, for putting in insane work hours every week. You don't leave work at work if you're a teacher. Then you factor in it being shit work and meh.

Katherine Robinson
05-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Liberal Arts is a cop out, plain and simple.

Ricky Davis
05-02-2014, 04:05 PM

This. Ignoring obvious gender roles makes the opinion invalid. Girls can basically do anything they want as long as they stay in shape

DD
05-02-2014, 04:05 PM
And you're basing "most women" off of?

Common sense? If I was a fry c...er...art teacher making pennies i'm guessing my long-term prospects would be pretty bleak. I grew up in Miami though and it's pretty superficial there. Maybe if i lived elsewhere i could cook my way into a girl's heart

MannyIsGod
05-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Not to mention, 60k in San Antonio is a hell of a lot more than 60k in most large American cities.

ashbeeigh
05-02-2014, 04:09 PM
LOL @ you trying to justify things to this group. Do you really value most of the opinions in this thread? If you like what you do then do it.

I disagree with social work being under humanities. And sure, we need some art students and what not, but an art student at the 400th ranked program in the nation is just wasting their time and money. Actually, thats the case for most of the humanity degrees.

Of course I don't value their opinions. And I bite my tongue most of the time. But this was just oo much. And I agree with your second statement. Majoring in art at SAC is not going to get you anywhere. But hey, I do know the director of modern art at a museum in LA got his masters in art at UTSA so they have to have a good program. Plus he's a rockstar.

MannyIsGod
05-02-2014, 04:10 PM
One thing that annoys me is when people say "I'm not good at Math" or "I'm not a Math person". In every math course I had after Calc 1, almost everyone struggled. There were maybe like 1 or 2 people in those courses who seemed to get it "easily". So when I here those phrases as some justification of going a different path then all I hear is that you're not willing to work at something to get better at it and you want the easy road.

MannyIsGod
05-02-2014, 04:13 PM
Of course I don't value their opinions. And I bite my tongue most of the time. But this was just oo much. And I agree with your second statement. Majoring in art at SAC is not going to get you anywhere. But hey, I do know the director of modern art at a museum in LA got his masters in art at UTSA so they have to have a good program. Plus he's a rockstar.

Or he is good at networking. But I know absolutely noting about UTSA's art program (or any other art program for that matter) so they might be good.

ashbeeigh
05-02-2014, 04:15 PM
I have recurring dreams of not having a high school diploma because I didn't take Pre-Cal. In the dream I am wandering around my high school trying to find the right classroom to finish the class. I was so bad at math it wasn't even an option. I took Spanish 4 AP instead and tested out of 4 semester of Spanish. It ended up helping in the end.

Or he/she is good at networking. But I know absolutely noting about UTSA's art program (or any other art program for that matter) so they might be good.

He did something at the Witte or McNay before so he must have been a good at networking. Nonetheless he's a super talented dude.

Clipper Nation
05-02-2014, 05:04 PM
:lol and if I get a semi-decent job
:lmao Poli sci major
:lmao Physical therapy
:lmao Fry cook at McDonald's will be a "semi-decent job" for you

baseline bum
05-02-2014, 06:05 PM
One thing that annoys me is when people say "I'm not good at Math" or "I'm not a Math person". In every math course I had after Calc 1, almost everyone struggled. There were maybe like 1 or 2 people in those courses who seemed to get it "easily". So when I here those phrases as some justification of going a different path then all I hear is that you're not willing to work at something to get better at it and you want the easy road.

I think people's brains are wired differently. I remember taking microecon and literally everything seemed like just common sense but tons of my classmates called it their hardest course of the quarter. Then when I took Spanish 2 I had to completely bust my ass and study for hours on end, watch Spanish TV, try to speak the language to Spanish speaking students outside of class, etc to get a lousy B+ in a course literally everyone else in class said was their blow-off for the quarter.

Ricky Davis
05-02-2014, 06:13 PM
rofl that's weird, one of my friends in my major was the same way. Did pretty well in the Diff Eq, Linear Algebrah, engineering courses and got petrified everytime he had to take a Spanish class.

I think each one of Spanish 1, 2, and 3 he had to take twice either through dropping or failing

baseline bum
05-02-2014, 06:23 PM
rofl that's weird, one of my friends in my major was the same way. Did pretty well in the Diff Eq, Linear Algebrah, engineering courses and got petrified everytime he had to take a Spanish class.

I think each one of Spanish 1, 2, and 3 he had to take twice either through dropping or failing

My counselor told me to take German (that the romance languages were way harder), but I told him I wanted to be able to negotiate with strippers in their native language. Still ended up getting charged $250 for a handjob tbh.

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-02-2014, 07:08 PM

Yup tbh. The gap in wages between Australia and the US is insane.

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-02-2014, 07:12 PM
Y'all complain about there not being any woman in this forum.

Who complains about that?

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-02-2014, 07:14 PM
I think people's brains are wired differently. I remember taking microecon and literally everything seemed like just common sense but tons of my classmates called it their hardest course of the quarter. Then when I took Spanish 2 I had to completely bust my ass and study for hours on end, watch Spanish TV, try to speak the language to Spanish speaking students outside of class, etc to get a lousy B+ in a course literally everyone else in class said was their blow-off for the quarter.

I took Spanish at community college. I could get a C in it without working too hard and it wouldn't count towards my GPA. One of the best decisions I made for my education.

baseline bum
05-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Who complains about that?

LOL, never heard that complaint here either.

JMarkJohns
05-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Studied for a week, scored 80% on vocabulary, 90% on essay which is all that mattered for mass media degrees.

Not very difficult.

As to going to a school that doesn't require taking it, those degrees are typically used to wipe the asses of those holding degrees from schools that did.

As to the political science jokes, the better question is "why is freedom", since it's an inferential fragment and open ended, you'll get a shit ton of great responses.

In my mass comm/media comm courses, I always throw a "you can never not communicate: True/False?" Question on the first exam for extra credit just to see students heads explode.

JMarkJohns
05-02-2014, 07:43 PM
BTW, nobody wants a physical therapist that smells like cat piss.

Additionally, while six figured is true, that same numerical figure is true of incurred dept.

I have two friends who spent 5 shit years in Yuma, AZ treating decrepit, shit-stained oldies to save money to merely pay down their student loan debt. Now they are in Denver and loving life, but it's a huge hit financially.

And lastly, you need to talk to people in the degree. The GRE is a weeding out tool to keep out unqualified, uncommitted types from watering down graduation rates and prestige.

Typically you don't just take the GRE once, but several times. You get a pedestrian score on your only attempt, they'll reject you real quick.

Clipper Nation
05-02-2014, 08:27 PM
BTW, nobody wants a physical therapist that smells like cat piss.

:lol..

spurraider21
05-02-2014, 10:20 PM
good thing foreign language requirement was never an issue. ucla accepts armenian as one and i placed out of it no problem :lol

m>s
05-02-2014, 11:46 PM

http://www.jewishproblem.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/68d.jpg

CuckingFunt
05-03-2014, 01:03 AM

This.

I've rather famously defended a liberal arts education around here, but including "I'm not good at math" in that defense is just making the other side's argument.

ashbeeigh
05-03-2014, 07:40 AM
As to going to a school that doesn't require taking it, those degrees are typically used to wipe the asses of those holding degrees from schools that did.

UTSA"s Social work program required a GRE yet USC, a top 10 program, at the time, rated just below UT's did not. That's not a degree to wipe your ass with.

JMarkJohns
05-03-2014, 10:33 AM
When was this?

Not really sure why the GRE is needed for that degree anyways.

ashbeeigh
05-03-2014, 11:56 AM
When was this?

Not really sure why the GRE is needed for that degree anyways.
I was accepted in 2010. Looks to be the same today as well.

spurraider21
05-03-2014, 03:01 PM
:lol so true. Being good with numbers stops carrying you once you hit calc2 or even some parts of calc. I never had to take linear or diff eq, but calc 2 and 3 had almost nothing to do with numbers

Ricky Davis
05-03-2014, 04:36 PM
:lol so true. Being good with numbers stops carrying you once you hit calc2 or even some parts of calc. I never had to take linear or diff eq, but calc 2 and 3 had almost nothing to do with numbers

tbh Diff Eq requires you to know pretty much all the integration stuff you learned from Cal 2. Then you get into odd things like Step function and Laplace Transforms which doesn't involve any sort of numerical calculations.

Linear Algebra was an odd class. The first few weeks is really easy addition/subtraction/multiplication stuff that you just use in matrices. Then it gets pretty abstract really quick and can sort of blow your mind. My favorite math class of them all IMHO

The Reckoning
05-03-2014, 05:13 PM
tbh Diff Eq requires you to know pretty much all the integration stuff you learned from Cal 2. Then you get into odd things like Step function and Laplace Transforms which doesn't involve any sort of numerical calculations.

Linear Algebra was an odd class. The first few weeks is really easy addition/subtraction/multiplication stuff that you just use in matrices. Then it gets pretty abstract really quick and can sort of blow your mind. My favorite math class of them all IMHO

http://sprudge.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/simpsons-nerd.gif

baseline bum
05-03-2014, 05:15 PM

If you liked the abstraction in Linear Algebra you should take Abstract Algebra. Or if you're out of school now, buy Micheal Artin's book used (1st edition) for $21.32 after tax and shipping for a good quality hardcover

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0130047635/ref=tmm_hrd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1399154935&sr=1-2

Artin is one of the best algebraists in the world and his father (Emil Artin) is the guy responsible for our modern view of Galois Theory (you can get a book of his lectures on Galois Theory for $7 + tax & shipping (http://www.amazon.com/Galois-Theory-Delivered-University-Mathematical/dp/0486623424))

Here's video lectures for Harvard's Math 122 based on the Michael Artin book, though it skips a lot of great material but covers quite a bit of group theory and ring theory
http://www.extension.harvard.edu/open-learning-initiative/abstract-algebra

We used Dummit & Foote in my algebra courses, which is more abstract and has more material (for instance, no tensors in Artin), but Artin has way cooler applications and is much much better written.

But yeah, linear algebra is about the most important subject in math. Can't believe lots of schools make people take calc instead of linear.

spurraider21
05-03-2014, 05:24 PM
I used to love math until calc 2. 3 was actually easier tbh. Since multi variable is such a new concept they really simplify that first class

baseline bum
05-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Speaking of Dummit & Foote's algebra book, my favorite math review ever:

http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.10.14.163749.94.html
http://www.adequacy.org/images/topics/diaries.gif - moriveth

Abstract Algebra (2nd Ed.)
David S. Dummit, Richard M. Foote
John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Summary: Riddled with errors and esoteric formulae, this book is incredibly dangerous for students who have yet to achieve a firm grasp of Algebra. Avoid at all costs.

Like most Adequacy readers, I am very good at higher mathematics. In high school, I placed near the top of my Algebra II class, and aced the Math portion of the SAT with a 590. As my children are currently working their way through middle school, I felt obligated to renew my skills in order to help them with their homework. But after slogging through Dummit and Foote's turgid tome, I can only say that it is the worst mathematics text I have ever had the misfortune to encounter.
The first flaw a reader will note is the incredible rate at which the material is presented. Section 0.1 breezes through difficult concepts like functions, sets, and complex numbers. By Chapter 1, my head was spinning after reading statements like, "For n in Z+, Z/nZ is an abelian group under the operation + of addition of residue classes as described in Chapter 0," and, "A subset S of elements of a group G with the property that every element of G can be written as a (finite) product of elements of S and their inverses is called a set of generators of G."

As we see from these excerpts from the text, Dummit and Foote are disciples of "new math," a doctrine discredited in the 70's. Too often, strange symbols and jargon take the place of clear English prose. Extraneous concepts like "sets"--much less "finite nilpotent groups" or "invariant factor decompositions" or "symmetric multilinear maps"--are merely obstacles to a student's understanding of algebra. Sadly, the authors, holed up in their ivory towers, have not yet learned these vital educational lessons.

Yet for all the apparent erudition of the authors, the text is full of obvious errors. For example, on page 44, the authors assert that z*a = z + a, an obvious error. On page 97, we find the ludicrous assertion that a^p = a, clearly flase unless p = 1. And on page 329, the text asserts that r(x + N) = rx + N, an obvious typo.

That the authors could publish such a sloppy text and remain employed at the University of Vermont speaks volumes about the evils of tenure.

I can only recommend this text to those already secure in their knowledge of Algebra who might derive amusement from the frequent missteps of the authors. And even then, with a $100 price tag, it can hardly be considered worth the expense.

I fear for the education of the next generation when prominent publishers push "new math" on hapless educators. Using this text to teach learn Algebra from this text will alienate students from math and science, driving America further behind the rest of the world in education. I can only hope that our school boards will reject this attempt to corrupt high school curricula and get back to teaching the basics.

Rating: 0 of 5 stars

JMarkJohns
05-03-2014, 06:18 PM
I was accepted in 2010. Looks to be the same today as well.

Then as someone who has been a GTA coordinator and has taught graduate courses, I'd say the privatized nature of USC's academics might contribute where a state school typically uses the GRE as the first step in weeding out convenience education seekers who think every degree is like University of Phoenix. A lot of convenience seekers will often drop out shortly into legit programs which hurt graduation rates. Most state schools will take anyone who qualifies on paper, so the GRE and it's scores demonstrates conviction of education where one will prioritize studying for an exam for grades, will pay for the exam, maybe multiple times.

USC is a private school that is unique in its enrollment and tuition.

This is merely my opinion, but knowing what I know from my educator experiences, the GRE helps separate students who can't handle a small rigor before they can't handle a program load, fail courses (which we as educators have to address), drop out (which hurts rates and priority of funding/teaching lines).

spurraider21
05-03-2014, 06:43 PM
:lmao "i aced the math portion with a 590"... out of 800

ashbeeigh
05-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Then as someone who has been a GTA coordinator and has taught graduate courses, I'd say the privatized nature of USC's academics might contribute where a state school typically uses the GRE as the first step in weeding out convenience education seekers who think every degree is like University of Phoenix. A lot of convenience seekers will often drop out shortly into legit programs which hurt graduation rates. Most state schools will take anyone who qualifies on paper, so the GRE and it's scores demonstrates conviction of education where one will prioritize studying for an exam for grades, will pay for the exam, maybe multiple times.

Just doing a quick search of MSW prpograms, Columbia, University of Illinois, University of Alabama, University of Southern Florida and University of Washington do not require the GRE either. Columbia, private, the others public. And that was only the first page. I think our experiences within graduate school are two completely different experiences. I understand and see your point of weeding out the good and bad, the capable and incapable. However, within social work the student is made or broken within practice, not the classroom, as per my experience. It's obviously different for each area of expertise. It's very self-selective. Within the first three weeks of my first semester I had a class go from about 18 to 10. By the end of my classes there were about 7 students in my two classes that had space for 12.

JMarkJohns
05-03-2014, 07:41 PM
I certainly understand why social work wouldn't require it. Don't really get why it would.

Not sure why it's required for physical therapy, either.

Trade/Industry degrees separate from heavy math/communication can't really use the GRE, outside of my thoughts for weeding out.

ashbeeigh
05-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Oh and thinking that the GRE just isn't for social work is a generalization. For the OP here's a list of schools that do not require the GRE for physical therapy. Both UNT does not require it. http://ainsleydiduca.com/grad-schools-dont-require-gre/#PT

JMarkJohns
05-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Fair enough, but it's a non-traditional, experiential degree. Now, getting into social psychology, and socio-economic ethnography and sure. Maybe that's what the graduate degrees focus on, but if trade based like administration, public relation, human resources, I'm not seeing it's use, let alone necessity.

Infinite_limit
05-03-2014, 10:12 PM
I used to love math until calc 2. 3 was actually easier tbh. Since multi variable is such a new concept they really simplify that first class
What'd you think of Discrete and Linear?

spurraider21
05-03-2014, 10:12 PM
What'd you think of Discrete and Linear?
never took anything beyond calc 3

Brazil
05-05-2014, 09:29 AM
I have been lucky enough to have no choice in terms of studying and yes I consider it's a chance. My parents are simple workers making the minimum salary, to study I needed to finance all by myself, no fucking time to wonder let's study arts because you know it's cool and I will have time for friends and watch tv.

I was not specially gifted for math or study in general so I worked my ass off in a prep school studying 16 hours a day, I went to a solid business school got a master and a mba now I make 350K+ and my kids won't get the "hey buddy choose whatever makes you feel good working the minimum" treatment, they will have to earn their money with hard work and dedication.

If you have the luxury to study arts or history go for it but I fucking hate the "get the maximum I can with the minimum investment possible" attitude. It's just justification for being a lazy mofo.

GoodOdor
05-05-2014, 09:48 AM
I have been lucky enough to have no choice in terms of studying and yes I consider it's a chance. My parents are simple workers making the minimum salary, to study I needed to finance all by myself, no fucking time to wonder let's study arts because you know it's cool and I will have time for friends and watch tv.

I was not specially gifted for math or study in general so I worked my ass off in a prep school studying 16 hours a day, I went to a solid business school got a master and a mba now I make 350K+ and my kids won't get the "hey buddy choose whatever makes you feel good working the minimum" treatment, they will have to earn their money with hard work and dedication.

If you have the luxury to study arts or history go for it but I fucking hate the "get the maximum I can with the minimum investment possible" attitude. It's just justification for being a lazy mofo.

Well said tbh. Great job on making something great out of yourself:toast

Men, in particular, don't have the luxury of getting a useless degree and following their "passion".

How many men working in starbucks do you see marrying women making 6 degrees? not many. The opposite is perfectly acceptable though.

spurraider21
05-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Lol how many females do you know who work at Starbucks but are married to men with 6 degrees?

Ricky Davis
05-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Well said tbh. Great job on making something great out of yourself:toast

Men, in particular, don't have the luxury of getting a useless degree and following their "passion".

How many men working in starbucks do you see marrying women making 6 degrees? not many. The opposite is perfectly acceptable though.

tbh the solution for some of these scros is to just finish their useless degree. Then go to a cheap grad school with a nice gym, hot girls. Continue on your 'career' path and fluff up your useless degree to dumb 20 year old girls. They won't know the difference between an investment banker at Goldman Sachs or a graduate student who says he is studying the Socioeconomic Factors of Neurolynguistic Pathways of the Human Mind. "Yeah bitches, I'm currently working on my Master's degree in Sociological Science" they will then get gullible and sleep with you. Work out everyday and be the stereotypical ambitious gym bro. We all know the type. Hell, there's already one in this thread. (No Lyfe *cough cough*)

"Sup bro?? How you been? Yeah just gettin' a lift in then about to hit up that library. Got to do well on this _______ test so I can get into this _________ grad school and make six figures a year!!"

And then when grad school is up and it's time to go work at McDonalds, just go to more grad school/PhD/[whatever school that you can think of to just get you into more debt] but the bottom line is just keep working out and keep telling those college girls that you have a plan to make six figures a year after you get done with [blank] school in a few years. You will be living the dream between your 20-40's. Banging hot college girls who don't know any better. That's what you'll be doing if you have a real job anyway, minus the actual hard work that's involved.

By the time you're 40 the ruse will eventually be up and your life will suck. You will pretty much be homeless, but life pretty much ends there anyway. Oil/gas geologists and bankers retire by that time and you can consider this your retirement, just in a different sense. To escape the mounting debt, just join a monastery and pretend to be intellectual and done with this 'materialistic' life (reciting quotes from the Bhagadavad Gita will gain you extra scro points). Then you can spend the rest of your 30/40 years on earth in peace trying to gain 'Enlightenment' (whatever that is).

Problem solved :toast

Ricky Davis
05-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Also, bonus points if you can throw out a vague ambition at getting into a top or foreign school. (Ex. "I'm thinking about applying to the Mayo Clinic really soon" or "I'm looking at getting into the London School of Economics really soon" etc) This will really make the panties drop.

Or listen carefully to a bunch of stories that people tell on their Euro trips, memorize them, and then tell girls the same story lying and saying that you actually studied abroad.

Be shrewd. Be an enigma. Be a chameleon. Be multiple places at once.

leemajors
05-05-2014, 12:38 PM
sounds like you make enough, just get a hooker

spurraider21
05-05-2014, 11:01 PM
tbh the solution for some of these scros is to just finish their useless degree. Then go to a cheap grad school with a nice gym, hot girls. Continue on your 'career' path and fluff up your useless degree to dumb 20 year old girls. They won't know the difference between an investment banker at Goldman Sachs or a graduate student who says he is studying the Socioeconomic Factors of Neurolynguistic Pathways of the Human Mind. "Yeah bitches, I'm currently working on my Master's degree in Sociological Science" they will then get gullible and sleep with you. Work out everyday and be the stereotypical ambitious gym bro. We all know the type. Hell, there's already one in this thread. (No Lyfe *cough cough*)

"Sup bro?? How you been? Yeah just gettin' a lift in then about to hit up that library. Got to do well on this _______ test so I can get into this _________ grad school and make six figures a year!!"

And then when grad school is up and it's time to go work at McDonalds, just go to more grad school/PhD/[whatever school that you can think of to just get you into more debt] but the bottom line is just keep working out and keep telling those college girls that you have a plan to make six figures a year after you get done with [blank] school in a few years. You will be living the dream between your 20-40's. Banging hot college girls who don't know any better. That's what you'll be doing if you have a real job anyway, minus the actual hard work that's involved.

By the time you're 40 the ruse will eventually be up and your life will suck. You will pretty much be homeless, but life pretty much ends there anyway. Oil/gas geologists and bankers retire by that time and you can consider this your retirement, just in a different sense. To escape the mounting debt, just join a monastery and pretend to be intellectual and done with this 'materialistic' life (reciting quotes from the Bhagadavad Gita will gain you extra scro points). Then you can spend the rest of your 30/40 years on earth in peace trying to gain 'Enlightenment' (whatever that is).

Problem solved :toast

Also, bonus points if you can throw out a vague ambition at getting into a top or foreign school. (Ex. "I'm thinking about applying to the Mayo Clinic really soon" or "I'm looking at getting into the London School of Economics really soon" etc) This will really make the panties drop.

Or listen carefully to a bunch of stories that people tell on their Euro trips, memorize them, and then tell girls the same story lying and saying that you actually studied abroad.

Be shrewd. Be an enigma. Be a chameleon. Be multiple places at once.
you know way too much about this shit. wanna talk about it?

Ricky Davis
05-05-2014, 11:36 PM
is the dog wagging the tail or the tail wagging the dog?

spurraider21
05-06-2014, 12:29 AM
:lol well played

FkLA
05-06-2014, 01:58 AM

Are we talking 350k+ US dollars? :wow

Infinite_limit
05-06-2014, 02:05 AM
http://www.jewishproblem.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/68d.jpg
What a hilarious fkn photo

unforeseen
05-06-2014, 05:10 AM
Integration by parts was a motherfucker. Required front and back of a sheet of paper for only one problem (some of the more difficult ones). Went all the way to Cal IV though. Differential equations were not that difficult after that.

Brazil
05-06-2014, 06:05 AM
Are we talking 350k+ US dollars? :wow

Im reaching my prime professionally, I need to make the most of it.

ashbeeigh
05-06-2014, 06:25 AM

http://media3.onsugar.com/files/2012/08/32/5/192/1922441/d1823e86c3a35a3a_3.xxxlarge/i/Pat-Yourself-Back.jpg

Brazil
05-06-2014, 08:11 AM
http://media3.onsugar.com/files/2012/08/32/5/192/1922441/d1823e86c3a35a3a_3.xxxlarge/i/Pat-Yourself-Back.jpg

like you are proud of the path you took for your career right ?

The Reckoning
05-06-2014, 08:15 AM
i'm not having a family or kids and i love what i do and get to travel so i'm pretty proud tbh

ashbeeigh
05-06-2014, 09:46 AM
like you are proud of the path you took for your career right ?

Sure. But I'm not a humble bragger about it.

Brazil
05-06-2014, 10:06 AM

that does not make any sense, you explained in that thread your choices and why you made them extensively. You even told us what is your salary and how you are happy with your personnal experience.

I just explained mines with one post, I don't see where I am a bragger and you are not.

GoodOdor
05-06-2014, 10:51 AM
that does not make any sense, you explained in that thread your choices and why you made them extensively. You even told us what is your salary and how you are happy with your personnal experience.

I just explained mines with one post, I don't see where I am a bragger and you are not.

She jelly.

Ricky Davis
05-06-2014, 11:20 AM
:lol ashbeeigh

Brazil is proud because he actually worked hard to get where he's at, aka what most men have to do to survive in the American capatalist system. Women just find alpha males to leech off of.

:cry but but I work hard to take care of the kids and make appointments :cry it's so hard being a stay at home mom :cry we both work hard to make it work :cry muh equality :cry

GoodOdor
05-06-2014, 11:25 AM
:cryit's not my fault I'm bad at math, I HAD to get that political science/arts degree!!!!:cry

:cryit's okay thought because I'm happy with what I do, I help kids!!!!:cry

Brazil
05-06-2014, 11:34 AM
:cry I worked like a dog to be where I am but I cannot be proud of my achievements :cry

Ricky Davis
05-06-2014, 11:38 AM
:cry Life's not all about money :cry I enjoy what I do and that's what life is about :cry I would definitely date a guy who works at Starbucks over a doctor or engineer because he has a better personality :cry honest!! :cry

DD
05-06-2014, 11:39 AM
Brazil, get me a couple tickets for WC tbh

DD
05-06-2014, 11:48 AM
:cry Life's not all about money :cry I enjoy what I do and that's what life is about :cry I would definitely date a guy who works at Starbucks over a doctor or engineer because he has a better personality :cry honest!! :cry

To be fair Ash is still relatively new to the dating scene after dropping all those lbs a couple years ago...real-world relationships are doomed to fail if

A. The guy is broke or loses his job

B. The guy makes less than the girl - I've never seen this work anywhere but with Tom Brady--but at that point the money is so obscene on both sides it doesn't matter.

MannyIsGod
05-06-2014, 01:25 PM

I'm not sure you could have painted yourself anymore like a jealous insecure person than you just did. You should pretty much never bitch again about anything anyone says on this forum again because this is one of the most obnoxious things I've seen posted on here. The more I think about it this is exactly the type of shit you pulled before so I shouldn't be surprised but it struck me as insanely petty to shit on a guy who was just sharing his experience in this thread just like you did. Probably wouldn't have struck me as so shitty except you love to play the victim.

MannyIsGod
05-06-2014, 01:34 PM

I haven't accomplished half of that and I'm damn proud of what I've accomplished. Fuck the haters. You should be proud of working your ass off and getting shit done.

The Reckoning
05-06-2014, 01:35 PM
I'm not sure you could have painted yourself anymore like a jealous insecure person than you just did. You should pretty much never bitch again about anything anyone says on this forum again because this is one of the most obnoxious things I've seen posted on here. The more I think about it this is exactly the type of shit you pulled before so I shouldn't be surprised but it struck me as insanely petty to shit on a guy who was just sharing his experience in this thread just like you did. Probably wouldn't have struck me as so shitty except you love to play the victim.

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-18676-Shaq-Disrespectful-Dunk-gif-nzTL.gif

Brazil
05-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Brazil, get me a couple tickets for WC tbh

tbh if you are looking US 1st round games, we will find it with no big trouble... now for quarter, semi and final it's pretty much over unless you have a big budget to throw at them.

I have 4 games so far, two for France.

I want Brazil in final gonna be insane...

ashbeeigh
05-06-2014, 04:19 PM
I'm shedding a tear Manny. Really. I had to leave work early.

GoodOdor
05-06-2014, 04:21 PM

Man, life must be good when your biggest problem is someone being mean to you over the internet:lol

DD
05-06-2014, 04:32 PM
tbh if you are looking US 1st round games, we will find it with no big trouble... now for quarter, semi and final it's pretty much over unless you have a big budget to throw at them.

I have 4 games so far, two for France.

I want Brazil in final gonna be insane...
Aren't they in the same group as Germany? That's who I pull for in the WC--the only time I can tolerate soccer--and it takes all 4 years to muster up the interest to watch it again.

MannyIsGod
05-06-2014, 04:38 PM

Wow look at that humble brag about how internet resilient you are.

Brazil
05-06-2014, 05:14 PM
Aren't they in the same group as Germany? That's who I pull for in the WC--the only time I can tolerate soccer--and it takes all 4 years to muster up the interest to watch it again.

Brazil is with Croatia, Mexico and Cameroon
France is with Switzerland, Ecuador and Honduras
Germany is with indeed with USA, Portugal and Ghana... tough group for USA tbh it would need a major upset for USA to go through first phase.

World Cup is THE big event and it's gonna be awesome to see it in Brazil... gonna be like Carnival meaning wild stuff coming all over the country

MannyIsGod
05-06-2014, 05:25 PM
Major upset my ass. Fuck Pepe, CR7, and Nani!

Ricky Davis
05-06-2014, 08:05 PM
HEARTISTEESTZTSTTEEZAS !!! is da #1 blogegrssz for a reasonz!!!!
what heartistez is syaing is dat civilization emerged by controlling the raw female gina butt tingzlzloz longzingz for lostas criminal cockasz, rpelacing it with da exlatedz exaltedzedz exaltatazzionz of menz noble honor religion science industry hard workz.
da central bankersz profit vastly by empowering and fundingzd da womenz base, fallen instinct like eve’s lusting after da giant seprent lostsas cockasz.
Hey everyone.
The FED funds and rewards women’s baser instincts by subsidizing them, creating welfare programs to extract resources from good men and transferring them to the women and Ben Bernanke, who can only create worthless debt.
If ever you wish to end the immoral, unjust system, ye must begin by ending the FED which created and funds feminism so as to convert its worthless debt into physical property and wealth, y ebernkfifiying and deosuling women in college, and sending them forth to seize assets from menz.
This is taught at Harvard:
da GBFM will be teahcing a class on modern eocnomicz at HARVARD NEXT SEMESTERZZ!!!!
I hope dat da MIT Eocnomists all drop in to my lectures erudite schoalrly lecturezzz!!!!
today da professor GBFM would like to lecture on INFLATION lzozozz and eocnomizz INCENTIVEZ lzozlzlz
once upon a times $50,000 would buy yo u a nice house a nice wife two cars and three kids who you could play baseballs with and raise to be nice girls and nice boyz zlzoozoz
today $1,000,000 will buys you an cassocked assockccoked, embittered, doused, deosueld and bernanenkied butthexed dfeminsistasz who will take %70 70% of oyiry assets in divroce court as ada dirvroce industries forces men to pay for past use oif a pussiezzes which is why da enoeteconths hate prostiutuitions as it does not make man pay for past pussy uyse but only present pussy use and da neococonths hatchet comepetitzzinonszz lzozlzlzoz, and dat $1,000,000 will be used to pay your wives dirvocre attorney and fund her future as socking sesisosns dat day got her hooked on in college during da prrima noctae asosckingszz seeisosnsnsns lzozlzozozo and den da $1,000,000 will be whittled down furthers buying presscirtption drugs for your dumbed down drugged up kids who you never get to see because ebernenekifiers seized den as poker chips in da fed’s wealth transfer games zlzozlzl
so now you see da definition of butthex, wealth-rttrannsfeeringz INFLATION lzozozlzlzoz
HOW DA FED HIDES INFLATION:
da fed hides inflation in many, many ways
frist of all, da government always lies about the true inflation lozozozl but you see it at the gas pump as day pump and dump your future wife in college deosuling and ebenrnkaifiying her
A LOT OF INFLATION is hidden in your future wife’s buttonhole lzozlzoz
with all da extra dolzlrz zlzozo day print dollars and fund feminism and sassockcing lessons as socking seminars assockcing instructions on da college campus where day can butthext and deosul your future wife and make her loyal first and foremost to da bottom line lzozozl da BOTTOM line lzozozoz da BOTTOM UTTHOLE line lzozozlzl programming her to seize your assets to tempt you into marriage, seize your assets and spy on you, and then forward all your emails to da FED alongside all of your assettsts ASS tests ASSsetts zlzozzzlz BOOTOTOM LINE BOTTOM LINE ASSests zlzozozllzozoz
once upon a time a man couple support a family and a wife and kids and rise them proper moral decent lzozllzoz
but now, due to da FED’s massive inflation which they hide in your wife’s buttonhole during secretive tucker max rheyme with godlmans sax secretly taped buttehxting sessions, she will be more loyal to da shopping channels and her sista’s and the CIA’s cosmo magazine zlozozzllzzol and unloyal not loyal to family, god , man, religion, and thus she will insatiate initiate over 80% of divorce as the FED whispers to her that she will get her uhusdbansds assetsts to fund future as socking as socking buttonhole cockas sessions that they addickecter adduced adDICKted her to in college lzoolzlzozo
and da fed gets a gut
as they must convert
worthless less than zero fiat debt
into physical assetttss
by seizing property and lifer and liberty form da betas
operating through their wive’s buttholios
where they dhid allda inflation zlozozozlz
DANTE and MILTON noted the same thing, so if you do not believe da GBFM, take it up with DANTE and MILTON asslcocen zlzzzl assclowns zlzozlzlzo
lzozozozzlzlzlzozl
wonce upon a time mens wents 2 church 2 find a good wownenez lzozlzlzloz to be a wife and mother and faithful honor cherish lzozlzzozlolzozlz
today woemnz go 2 churrhc 2 find a beta or gammamale to pay for their three children forrm three fatehrs who pumped dand dudmped theier zazzez afetr asszzcockcing them lzozlzlzlzo
lzozozozlzlzolzolz
once uppoineez a time da dollars was backed by gold
today it is backed by porn as emerikaz went off the gold/god standtdthedth and went onto da iron porn standadtdth lkzozozzlz
HARVARD UNIVERSITY JUST INTRODUCED A NEW COURSE!!
Upper-Level Feminist Business 401: During the semester we will learn how to optimize Alpha Fucks and Beta Bucks, as we are buttcoked by “alphas” and then go forth into the corporate-state to buttcock betas out of their assettsts (buttcocking their asstettss so to speak lzozlzoz) buttcoki dem outta der assettts in divorce curt, entitle progapms, corproate sexual harrassment suits, and guilting betas and gelding them with the “pay gap” myth, all the while complaining about the glass ceieling even as we rise to very top of the fiat debt empire while da menz are unemployed and crusedhesd and enslaved bwloe zlozlzlzozozl. We will transfer teh assetts to the central banks and bernankifiers for teh centyral banks can only create debt-based fiat dollarz which are worth less than nothing, and thus need d awomenz movement to go forth and buttcock and guilt betas into working working working for a hope to lick our std-addled, strecthed-out bungholes lzozlzololzozo. We will examine why betas do not like this setup, and how we can shame them into marriage and slaving away in corproate jobs while we cock hold the alphas and cukhold da betas zlzololzlzlozozololzlzolz. homework will consist of getting buttcocked by a buttccker while mainitaing a roster of at least 20 beta oribters to reguallry buy one meals so that they will be well fed for the buttcocking later that evening. this will prepare tda womenz for bigger game, whnce they get betas to buy them homes and cars, and then dun future buttcockings with aplphas via alimony and child support lzzllzzlzozozozozo. sample exam questions will be, “what does tucker butthexter max wheym with? klzozolzolzolzo

Brazil
05-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Major upset my ass. Fuck Pepe, CR7, and Nani!

:lol I will root for USA, I cannot stand Ronaldo

Asshole
06-01-2014, 04:13 AM

I'm so glad you're in this society. As glad as you that I'm in it too, I'm sure. Love you girl!

Asshole
06-01-2014, 04:15 AM

Oh god, so many things you're horrible at and putting down other professions so you can feel better. So glad you're alive, really. Do you have a passion to not to try to shit on others please? Could that actually help prevent a mental breakdown? Well, who cares really. You clearly do not.