PDA

View Full Version : Now THAT was a choke job

sananspursfan21
05-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Did they not think Dallas was going to bring intensity in their own building?!

dg7md
05-02-2014, 09:53 PM
I don't know if it was a choke, we were clutch as fuck in the last minute. It was shitty fouls and turnovers that fucked us over...

dallasmaverickslose
05-02-2014, 09:53 PM
I hate that POS Blair. I love how he never shows up for us in the playoffs, but has no problem giving his all for the Mavs. He can suck it.

sananspursfan21
05-02-2014, 09:55 PM
I don't know if it was a choke, we were clutch as fuck in the last minute. It was shitty fouls and turnovers that fucked us over...

No you're right, that last 30 seconds were clutch but the last 5 minutes as a whole was a HUGE choke job. They were up and really had control of the game until Ellis took over. So many of his shots wouldn't have happened with good d

Horry Hipcheck
05-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Not really. The Mavs played well but the difference was made in some costly turnovers and really bullshit officiating in the 4th. I thought we'd lose Game 6 by a lot more, honestly.

Capt Bringdown
05-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Hard to believe the Spurs got beat by Blair. While not as painful as last year's choke job, this is certainly in the neighborhood.

daslicer
05-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Not a choke the spurs played hard just that they ended up falling short. Losing doesn't equal choking every time.

AFBlue
05-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Not a choke job...game was fucking rigged as a son of a bitch. Gotta give props to Blair for bringing it though.

SanDiegoSpursFan
05-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Ginobili's entry pass to Kawhi made me want to smash my bookcase

sananspursfan21
05-02-2014, 10:00 PM
Not really. The Mavs played well but the difference was made in some costly turnovers and really bullshit officiating in the 4th. I thought we'd lose Game 6 by a lot more, honestly.

Spurs were up what 7? Or 5? With 5 to go? Nothing but and one fouls and stupid turnovers caused the spurs to lose their lead and momentum. The refs were pretty one sided but the spurs looked like they had control and just lost it

sananspursfan21
05-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Not a choke the spurs played hard just that they ended up falling short. Losing doesn't equal choking every time.

A choke to my understanding is when a team has a lead with only a few minutes to go, seems to have control, and loses it with stupid plays.

Mugen
05-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Not a 6 level chokejob but a chokejob nonetheless tbh. Very disappointing effort and execution.

RD2191
05-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Choke

100%duncan
05-02-2014, 10:03 PM
No. 6 was a chokejob.

Oh, Gee!!
05-02-2014, 10:04 PM
I hate that POS Blair. I love how he never shows up for us in the playoffs, but has no problem giving his all for the Mavs. He can suck it.

Blair was always a fan favorite for us, its revisionist to say he never showed up for us.

HI-FI
05-02-2014, 10:05 PM
Not a choke job...game was fucking rigged as a son of a bitch. Gotta give props to Blair for bringing it though.

dallasmaverickslose
05-02-2014, 10:05 PM
Blair was always a fan favorite for us, its revisionist to say he never showed up for us.

I'm referring to his playoff performance for us, in particular...

Mugen
05-02-2014, 10:06 PM
:lol Spurs fans so used to chokejobs that only Game 6 level type of chokejobs count nowadays I guess tbh....

Oh, Gee!!
05-02-2014, 10:07 PM
I'm referring to his playoff performance for us, in particular...

I cant hate on him. Dude seems like he gives his heart for his team

TheGoldStandard
05-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Pop getting carpet burns

dallasmaverickslose
05-02-2014, 10:09 PM
I cant hate on him. Dude seems like he gives his heart for his team

Just not for us of course... The team he played the first 5 (I think?) years of his career...

noles1983
05-02-2014, 10:10 PM
that shitty possession with parker towards the end, good god..

sananspursfan21
05-02-2014, 10:11 PM
:lol Spurs fans so used to chokejobs that only Game 6 level type of chokejobs count nowadays I guess tbh....

Really. I mean, I don't see how it's not? An opportunity to close out a series, have a fairly solid lead with single digit minutes left in the game, had momentum for the whole 3rd quarter, several players (splitter, Duncan, and later Parker) having big games, Splitter played hard nosed and played like everything we WISH he would. All that and they still lost. I kinda think that qualifies as a choke.

Nathan89
05-02-2014, 10:12 PM
Hard to believe the Spurs got beat by Blair. While not as painful as last year's choke job, this is certainly in the neighborhood.

Not even in the same Galaxy.

100%duncan
05-02-2014, 10:13 PM

Funny but it hurts tbh

Mugen
Really. I mean, I don't see how it's not? An opportunity to close out a series, have a fairly solid lead with single digit minutes left in the game, had momentum for the whole 3rd quarter, several players (splitter, Duncan, and later Parker) having big games, Splitter played hard nosed and played like everything we WISH he would. All that and they still lost. I kinda think that qualifies as a choke.

Yup, Spurs had numerous opportunities to pull away throughout the 2nd half. Just a really pitiful performance. But the fluke run at the end is going to make Spurfan think that they didn't choke hard this game :lol

DarrinS
Not like we were up by 20

Jenks
05-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Watch Kawhi choke here and spark the Mavs run to lose the game. Epic choke job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a8c-XhVEL4

sananspursfan21
Yup, Spurs had numerous opportunities to pull away throughout the 2nd half. Just a really pitiful performance. But the fluke run at the end is going to make Spurfan think that they didn't choke hard this game :lol

Yea those two fluke threes??? Too little too late, I rolled my eyes as each one haphazardly fell through the net

Sportstudi
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/1013878_854953961199796_5233490203254271444_n.jpg

noles1983
05-02-2014, 10:16 PM
lmao and we still cant win

sananspursfan21
05-02-2014, 10:17 PM

Carter with the "watching Ginobili tape" goods :lol

Jenks
05-02-2014, 10:18 PM
That's way beyond Ginobili. That's the spirit of Robert Horry.

AFBlue
05-02-2014, 10:24 PM
that shitty possession with parker towards the end, good god..

lol, blame it on Parker when he carried the team offensively down the stretch. Hater.

Budkin
05-02-2014, 10:27 PM

Pretty much

siraulo23
05-02-2014, 10:29 PM
spurs couldnt get stops in the 4th

mavs win, not sure it was a chokejob, mavs just played better in the 4th

DarrinS
05-02-2014, 10:30 PM

No, that's CP3 level shit there.

UZER
05-02-2014, 10:39 PM
No, that's CP3 level shit there.

Even the whole stare down kawhi, like he should've in in the throat, was channeling cp3

spurtech09
05-02-2014, 10:42 PM

jus hope the refs don't do this in game7....spurs got robbed

spurtech09
05-02-2014, 10:44 PM
spurs better stop the mavs to the ground in game 7....no close game bs.....put these fools in the gutter already

Hoops Czar
05-02-2014, 10:46 PM
The Spurs defense cant even stop Blair. That's about as pathetic as it gets.

05-02-2014, 10:49 PM

Smh

AFBlue
05-02-2014, 10:50 PM
spurs couldnt get stops in the 4th

mavs win, not sure it was a chokejob, mavs just played better in the 4th

Spurs couldn't get a stop in the first, or box out Blair all game long. But the fourth with the refs was a joke. No choke.

Biernutz
05-02-2014, 10:56 PM
we have to take game 7 out of the ref's hands so we have to be up by 20 at the end of the game to win....

TheGoldStandard
05-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Green could go 10 for 10 to start the game he'll get limited minutes still and the ball won't touch his hands down the stretch.. It's been like that this whole series, not just Green though, anyone of our players that requires transition or ball movement to get there shot off.

Sean Cagney
05-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Not even in the same Galaxy.

Sadly this is flat out TRUE... That game 6 is out of this galaxy.

Spurs_Be_Beastin'
05-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Pretty mad we didn't just end it tonight... About half way through the 4th I thought we had them.. But then YUP we choked. Per par.
we don't deserve to win Tbh..
we have looked like absolute shit these playoffs, nowhere near contender level.. Spurs will Win on Sunday but I won't be happy or cheer about it.. We should've ended this fluke series tonight. I HATE seeing Blair yelling and cheering that's what bothers me the most lol

dbreiden83080
05-02-2014, 11:03 PM
What were they up five points with five minutes to play? Hardly a choke job.

Spurs7794
05-03-2014, 12:11 AM
I find it hilarious how everyone thinks this was a chokejob. This was a regular playoff loss...this shit happens. So when any team is leading in the 4th and loses, its a choke job????

Also, some people are saying this is comparable to game 6 last year. Those people are mentally challenged.

Sean Cagney
05-03-2014, 12:17 AM
Pretty mad we didn't just end it tonight... About half way through the 4th I thought we had them.. But then YUP we choked. Per par.
we don't deserve to win Tbh..
we have looked like absolute shit these playoffs, nowhere near contender level.. Spurs will Win on Sunday but I won't be happy or cheer about it.. We should've ended this fluke series tonight. I HATE seeing Blair yelling and cheering that's what bothers me the most lol
If we win Sunday you are going to be happy, stop frontin on that end of things.

Expert
05-03-2014, 12:18 AM
Oh it doesn't matter who wins this. Neither team plays a lick of defense so they are just pretending to be contenders.

RD2191
05-03-2014, 12:19 AM
Oh it doesn't matter who wins this. Neither team plays a lick of defense so they are just pretending to be contenders.

Just like Blazers/Roxs.

Expert
05-03-2014, 12:23 AM
Just like Blazers/Roxs.

It's going to be Thunder/Heat unless someone gets injured. That's what the league wants and the players on other teams seem to be ok with it.

Sean Cagney
05-03-2014, 12:24 AM
I find it hilarious how everyone thinks this was a chokejob. This was a regular playoff loss...this shit happens. So when any team is leading in the 4th and loses, its a choke job????

Also, some people are saying this is comparable to game 6 last year. Those people are mentally challenged.
Up 5 with 28 seconds left an a finals win at hand is a different realm, period! That is a TOUGH LOSS.

Hoops Czar
05-03-2014, 12:49 AM

Parker loses the ball to Blair, Leonard misses a jumper. Nah, that's not clutch. They hit a couple of meaningless nothing to lose three's and then when the game was on the line, Patty throws up an airball.

in2deep
05-03-2014, 12:57 AM
:cry

EIC
05-03-2014, 12:58 AM
I don't consider it an epic choke job. Mavs had to rape one of the Spurs' wives and shoot their dog before they'd be whistled for a foul. Meanwhile, if a Spur even so much as brushed a Mav it was a foul. It was pretty obviously biased officiating. NBA wants to set a record with first-round Game 7s, tbh.

Hoops Czar
05-03-2014, 01:06 AM
I don't consider it an epic choke job. Mavs had to rape one of the Spurs' wives and shoot their dog before they'd be whistled for a foul. Meanwhile, if a Spur even so much as brushed a Mav it was a foul. It was pretty obviously biased officiating. NBA wants to set a record with first-round Game 7s, tbh.
What was the free throw disparity again?

EIC
05-03-2014, 01:29 AM
What was the free throw disparity again?

The measure is not how many were called, but how many were not. All the Mavs did was foul; only some were called.

Fuzzy Dunlop
05-03-2014, 01:35 AM
Up 5 with 28 seconds left an a finals win at hand is a different realm, period! That is a TOUGH LOSS.

it would still be embarrassing if you lose to an 8th seed again. no way you can spin that one. :lmao

Horse
05-03-2014, 01:37 AM
The measure is not how many were called, but how many were not. All the Mavs did was foul; only some were called.
Exactly fucking morons always wanna be so simple and say "well who shot more fts" How bout the carter flop I really believe he'll be fined for that. One of the worst calls ever and a huge turning point.

Horse
05-03-2014, 01:38 AM
it would still be embarrassing if you lose to an 8th seed again. no way you can spin that one. :lmao
And how do you spin the bucks last 30 yrs?

Sean Cagney
05-03-2014, 01:42 AM

Dude you are a Bucks fan, you can't even begin to talk about embarassing since you guys are not even close to existing to most fans. THE SPURS playoff teams choking later on >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Your teams existence. BUCKS :lol:lol:lol:rollin
And how do you spin the bucks last 30 yrs?

A Bucks fan does not exist to us out here, he can't spin it they are just a joke of the league.

EIC
05-03-2014, 01:47 AM

It would be embarrassing. Fortunately for you, it's not something Milwaukee will ever be in position to do.

Fuzzy Dunlop
05-03-2014, 01:57 AM
Dude you are a Bucks fan, you can't even begin to talk about embarassing since you guys are not even close to existing to most fans. THE SPURS playoff teams choking later on >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Your teams existence. BUCKS :lol:lol:lol:rollin

:lmao you're so easy to troll.

Sean Cagney
05-03-2014, 02:00 AM
:lmao you're so easy to troll.

Yes and you are a Bucks fan! SIR! SIR! :lol

Probably another LA fan ashamed of his teams name now so he trolls under another team TBH. TBH.

Hoops Czar
05-03-2014, 02:12 AM

Yeah, and the Spurs were fouling and only some were called. This isn't why they lost the game. The FT shooting was the reason it was a game.

ElNono
05-03-2014, 02:14 AM
Yeah, and the Spurs were fouling and only some were called. This isn't why they lost the game. The FT shooting was the reason it was a game.

It was really the defense in that 1st quarter, IMO... you just can't do things like that at this stage...

Hoops Czar
05-03-2014, 02:27 AM
It was really the defense in that 1st quarter, IMO... you just can't do things like that at this stage...

The defense in the fourth was just as appalling. Monta Ellis was knifing through the lane without breaking a sweat. Dejuan Blair was just abusing the Spurs in the paint down the stretch. I think they'll find a way to beat Dallas but I'm hesitant to make a prediction beyond game 7 because the overall defense looks too slow and lethargic to make a deep playoff run and I don't think the offense is consistent enough to carry them to number 5.

ElNono
05-03-2014, 02:32 AM
The defense in the fourth was just as appalling. Monta Ellis was knifing through the lane without breaking a sweat. Dejuan Blair was just abusing the Spurs in the paint down the stretch. I think they'll find a way to beat Dallas but I'm hesitant to make a prediction beyond game 7 because the overall defense looks too slow and lethargic to make a deep playoff run and I don't think the offense is consistent enough to carry them to number 5.

If we don't get some production off that supporting cast, we're done... what a letdown that second unit has been... Tim also looks like he needs a vacation ASAP... let's hope we can break through that game 7, and hope for the best...

EIC
05-03-2014, 02:53 AM

http://notsportscenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Vince-Carter-Flop.gif

quentin_compson
05-03-2014, 05:17 AM
I wouldn't say it was a choke job, rather a missed opportunity. I think the Spurs were in the driver's seat in the 3rd quarter. There were a couple of possibilities to blow up the lead to, let's say, something like ten points. Unfortunately, the Spurs didn't capitalize (Manu couldn't knock down some good looks from downtown and stuff like that). They could have had more of a cushion going into the last quarter. That wouldn't have guaranteed a win, of course, but still.
Down the stretch, as has been the case in a number of games this series, the offense became too stagnant, there wasn't enough good movement with and off the ball. Throw in a couple of costly TOs and questionable defense against Ellis, not to mention clutch FT shooting by the Mavs (who had been struggling from the line earlier on), and you have several key reasons for losing this game.

Overall, I think the Spurs have been rather disappointing in this series. Their defense hasn't been up to the task on a consistent basis, and offensively, they have been struggling getting role players involved. Parker going MIA too often hasn't helped as well, of course.
Hats off to Dallas, though. They have been dealing with their defenive shortcomings as best as they possibly could. And they are a good and experienced team offensively. Neither Ellis nor Nowitzki might be having the series of their lives, but both have been good enough while numerous role players have stepped up in various games (Carter, Harris, Blair, Dalembert).

ManuTastic
05-03-2014, 06:51 AM
I'd call it a standard Spurs semi-choke, having seen this movie before. They win their own must-win game, then go on the road and forget their intensity until its too late. Am I wrong? Before the game I said this was 50/50: Spurs often let down in these situations, Dallas in a do-or-die at home (and they have some good talent obviously), Manu was due for a bad game, after having a really good stretch. Final point diff was... 2. We got game 7.

TampaDude
05-03-2014, 08:01 AM
With that miracle 3 and that flop, Vince Carter singlehandedly flipped this series. Spurs have zero chance to win Game 7.

8, tbh

sananspursfan21
05-03-2014, 11:24 AM
I'd call it a standard Spurs semi-choke, having seen this movie before. They win their own must-win game, then go on the road and forget their intensity until its too late. Am I wrong? Before the game I said this was 50/50: Spurs often let down in these situations, Dallas in a do-or-die at home (and they have some good talent obviously), Manu was due for a bad game, after having a really good stretch. Final point diff was... 2. We got game 7.

This is precisely what I meant when I started this thread. It's not game 6. But it's extremely frustrating nonetheless. The spurs choked away several things be they large or small on the scale: 4th quarter lead - BIIIIIIG game from Splitter - series lead - a chance to close out a team that actually has no business taking them to game 7

ZB 512
05-03-2014, 01:23 PM
Spurs were up what 7? Or 5? With 5 to go? Nothing but and one fouls and stupid turnovers caused the spurs to lose their lead and momentum. The refs were pretty one sided but the spurs looked like they had control and just lost it

yet the Spurs had more FT attempts than the Mavs

Splitter had 12 FT attempts. Dirk had zero.

Horse
05-03-2014, 01:50 PM
yet the Spurs had more FT attempts than the Mavs

Splitter had 12 FT attempts. Dirk had zero.
Cause all that pussy does is shoot jumpers. He shoves,elbows creates contact them cries he doesnt get the call.

therealtruth
05-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Overall, I think the Spurs have been rather disappointing in this series. Their defense hasn't been up to the task on a consistent basis, and offensively, they have been struggling getting role players involved. Parker going MIA too often hasn't helped as well, of course.
Hats off to Dallas, though. They have been dealing with their defenive shortcomings as best as they possibly could. And they are a good and experienced team offensively. Neither Ellis nor Nowitzki might be having the series of their lives, but both have been good enough while numerous role players have stepped up in various games (Carter, Harris, Blair, Dalembert).

The Spurs have good defensive players if Pop is willing to play them. Let me just say you can no longer give Pop a pass if game 7 doesn't end well. I don't think there's any other team that was top 3 in offensive/defensive efficiency that went out in the first round.

Expert
05-03-2014, 02:45 PM
The difference in the game was the offensive rebounds and 2nd shot attempts. The Mavs shot worse, had more turnovers, had fewer FT attempts, hit about 10 fewer FTs, had fewer blocks, fewer assists, fewer steals. In fact, if not for the offensive boards, the series is over. Dallas had 12 more shot attempts, which means Spurs had live ball turnovers more often and Dallas had more put backs instead of kick outs from the offensive boards. 12 more shots at 50% is 12 more points. It's hard to make those points up, and yet the Spurs lost by 2.

The good Spurs teams didn't make the silly mistakes this one makes. They didn't foul 3pt shooters at the end of quarters, they didn't shoot early when it's clock management time, they didn't throw full court passes to be picked off in transition... and they didn't give up a shit ton of offensive boards. This team is a hybrid team, an offensive minded team that puts on a defensive mask. Their off season acquisitions are almost always offensively strong players who play questionable defense. Danny Green is a decent defender, but was acquired for his 3pt shooting. Same with Marco, but he cannot defend a lick. Matt Bonner cannot defend. Jeff Ayers cannot defend or shoot, he's just 6 fouls to give. Baynes is clunky and tries to defend but isn't NBA level. Kawhi is a good defender, working on his offense but he hasn't committed mentally to being aggressive. Right now it's a show, much like Matt's fake hustle on defense and pretending to fight for a rebound he almost never gets.

What makes the team tough to beat is that they can score the ball and they have Tim in the paint, and they have enough perimeter defense to bother shooters. They normally rotate well and don't rely on talent to recover from a missed assignment. When they begin to slack off their rotations, they lack the ability to make up for it with talent or speed. Teams like Dallas can take advantage of that because they are playing to win, and the Spurs are playing to not lose. Dallas has nothing to lose, they've already surpassed their expectations, however SA is approaching it like it's a surgery and they have to rethink every possession and even force the ball into a bad spot if that's how the called play starts. They stopped thinking on the court, and that could be Pop's fault.

spurs10
05-03-2014, 02:49 PM
With that miracle 3 and that flop, Vince Carter singlehandedly flipped this series. Spurs have zero chance to win Game 7.

8, tbh Odds favor Spurs to win. Zero chance is a bit emo.

Skull-1
05-03-2014, 04:04 PM
lol, blame it on Parker when he carried the team offensively down the stretch. Hater. Exactly. Manu hosed this one up, not Tony.