PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, wtf is pop's problem

Floyd Pacquiao
05-02-2014, 10:05 PM
Benching danny down the stretch for turnobili? Pop lost this game with that decision as far as im concerned....

dallasmaverickslose
05-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Fire pop

Arc
05-02-2014, 10:07 PM
pop not keeping danny on ellis allowed him to go off, which cost us the game for sure.

pop is a good coach, but he's also a dumbass sometimes.

timtonymanu
05-02-2014, 10:07 PM
I was wondering why Green didn't play more when he was obviously the best guard of the night.

Again, Pop is a great coach but he really hurts the team at times.

servalli
05-02-2014, 10:08 PM
Pop = Shit

noles1983
after we get bounced, this team needs an overhaul. this shit isnt working

TE
That popsuckers thread by SBM sounds like a good bump right now

Chomag
05-02-2014, 10:09 PM
Maybe someone should remind Pop that this is the playoffs?

testies
after we get bounced, this team needs an overhaul. this shit isnt working

oh shut your mouth up

apalisoc_9
Pop is stubborn..

The same reason why he plays a 22 year old 29 minutes in the RS..For him it's about proving how good of a coach he is rather than developing players or winning playoff games.

TD 21
Leonard is the one who should have been benched. He can't defend Ellis (neither can Ginobili, obviously), nor is he the three point shooter Green is . . . and as much as I hate to say it, Duncan should have been benched in favor of Splitter. I can understand him not doing the latter, but the former is inexcusable, as is playing Ayres a few minutes in the fourth quarter.

It's incredible how poor a job he's done in this series, yet as usual, he's facing no heat publicly, when if most coaches had done half the shit he has, they'd be getting ripped to shreds.

Boomersgold
05-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Benching danny down the stretch for turnobili? Pop lost this game with that decision as far as im concerned....

Agreed. I also thought playing Green AND Ginobili at the same time was the reason for the Mav's huge run in the 4th.

dallasmaverickslose
05-02-2014, 10:11 PM
Blow up the entire team fire Pop fire RC trade everyone for anything you can get.

Hell, fire Peter Holt!!!

TheGoldStandard
05-02-2014, 10:11 PM
Prime Duncan made Pop.. The Media has perpetrated the myth

Chinook
05-02-2014, 10:12 PM
Leonard is the one who should have been benched. He can't defend Ellis (neither can Ginobili, obviously), nor is he the three point shooter Green is . . . and as much as I hate to say it, Duncan should have been benched in favor of Splitter. I can understand him not doing the latter, but the former is inexcusable, as is playing Ayres a few minutes in the fourth quarter.

I agree Duncan should have been benched. His timing for his shot-blocking wasn't on tonight, which means he's a defensive liability. Splitter played Ellis perfectly as is as big of a reason for Monta being held down for so long as Green was. However, I think that Leonard should have been in to play Carter. That's a matchup that works for him.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-02-2014, 10:14 PM
Pop is too arrogant, thinks he controls the game more than the players. If someone is playing well, keep them in. The awards and love from the media has gone to his head. His arrogance cost us tonight's game and cost us the championship last year.

Chinook
05-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Pop is too arrogant, thinks he controls the game more than the players. If someone is playing well, keep them in. The awards and love from the media has gone to his head. His arrogance cost is tonight's game and cost is the championship last year.

It's absurd that you could watch the game tonight and not realize why Pop benched Duncan in Game Six last year.

TheGoldStandard
05-02-2014, 10:15 PM
lol Splitter had 19 points and didn't play down the stretch.. HAHAHA, that alone tells the story

capek
05-02-2014, 10:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFU-wXsRhic

Pop's simply thinking circa 2008. :(

Of course, Manu's been playing pretty great this series, and most of you guys are nibbling on the balls of hindsight, so...go fuck yourselves? meh, that sounds about right.

TheGreatYacht
05-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Stephen Jackson: "Pop only cares about 3 guys"

jiggy_55
05-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Splitter was getting murdered on the pnr with Ellis. He had to be benched at the end. But maybe he could have played for Timmy if anything.

Chinook
05-02-2014, 10:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFU-wXsRhic

Pop's simply thinking circa 2008. :(

Of course, Manu's been playing pretty great this series, and most of you guys are nibbling on the balls of hindsight, so...go fuck yourselves? meh, that sounds about right.

Even if Pop insists on keeping Ginobili out there, there's no way he should have been on Ellis when Green was in the game. I thought it was a mistake at first until they kept doing it.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-02-2014, 10:29 PM
Stephen Jackson: "Pop only cares about 3 guys"
Sad but slightly true.

Chinook
05-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Splitter was getting murdered on the pnr with Ellis. He had to be benched at the end. But maybe he could have played for Timmy if anything.

Lol, what? Splitter was wrecking Ellis on the PnR. We're talking Noah-esque.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-02-2014, 10:34 PM
You mean Diaw was? Splitter played great in all aspects of the game, even free throw shooting.

TheGoldStandard
05-02-2014, 10:35 PM
Diaw must have promised Pop some special wine or something to get into the game.. No way Tiago was gassed

Floyd Pacquiao
05-02-2014, 10:45 PM
Also the patty/parker combo seemed to be working well. To bad pop went and fucked it up by benching patty in favor for shitnobili (iirc)

TheGreatYacht
05-02-2014, 10:48 PM
Also the patty/parker combo seemed to be working well. To bad pop went and fucked it up by benching patty in favor for shitnobili (iirc)

It worked in Game 4 too.

How can people doubt Stak 5, aka Stack Jack, aka Jack of all Trades, aka Mr. Big Shot, aka Stephen Jackson...
"Pop only cares about 3 people"

Chewbacca
05-02-2014, 10:50 PM
http://i60.tinypic.com/2ptoyz5.jpg

Floyd Pacquiao
05-02-2014, 11:06 PM
Lol monta scored 12 in the 4th... Fuck. You. Pop

TheGoldStandard
05-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Lol monta scored 12 in the 4th... Fuck. You. Pop

Pop: Uhh, they made shots.. (chuckles to himself) what can I say. We need to be a better job.

HI-FI
05-02-2014, 11:12 PM
said this before but Pop has become like a tenured prof. He blows this series, it's time to retire, go hang out in the vineyards.

TheGoldStandard
05-02-2014, 11:13 PM
said this before but Pop has become like a tenured prof. He blows this series, it's time to retire, go hang out in the vineyards.

It's sad but true.. Vinny Del Negro could coach this team to 50 wins.

spurraider21
05-02-2014, 11:28 PM
It's sad but true.. Vinny Del Negro could coach this team to 50 wins.
Unlikely

TheGoldStandard
05-02-2014, 11:33 PM
Unlikely

So Duncan, Parker, Manu, Kawhi would just instantly suck? The Grizz won 50 and they have almost 0 offense

spurraider21
05-02-2014, 11:42 PM
So Duncan, Parker, Manu, Kawhi would just instantly suck? The Grizz won 50 and they have almost 0 offense
I don't think 38/37 year old Tim/Manu would be as effective for another coach, let alone del african

jiggy_55
05-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Lol, what? Splitter was wrecking Ellis on the PnR. We're talking Noah-esque.

You mean Diaw was? Splitter played great in all aspects of the game, even free throw shooting.

Before he was subeed out, Splitter had a few poor possessions defensively. Yes he was huge overall and I was impressed, but even mike breen was saying Splitter was caught a few times in the 4th q before he went out.

wildchild
05-03-2014, 12:15 AM
-Bad defensive rotations
-Regular season patterns of minutes distribution in playoffs
-A few adjustments and too late
-Pop underestimates Green's contribution
-He considers Leonard just on the defensive end, it seems like he wants defense-first and doesn't care much about Kawhi's offense and plays him limited minutes -22 years old-
-Maybe his system needs some kind of flexibility...

apalisoc_9
05-03-2014, 12:18 AM
he's old..

Baam
05-03-2014, 12:22 AM
Before he was subeed out, Splitter had a few poor possessions defensively. Yes he was huge overall and I was impressed, but even mike breen was saying Splitter was caught a few times in the 4th q before he went out.

On SpursTalk and the Spurs blogs Splitter is a defensive God that can do nothing wrong. Ever...

ElNono
05-03-2014, 12:23 AM
He did call a few timeouts in the 1st quarter when the defense was nothing short of abysmal... nothing really changed...

I will peg on him sticking with Beli (and that costly foul to end the half), especially on a game Green was playing well, and Ayres is barely an NBA player... he can't get minutes in the playoffs.

Chinook
05-03-2014, 01:01 AM

No offense, but Mike Breen isn't credible. That's not just because he knows little about basketball; it's also because he often gets names wrong. That's why he acted like Green just came in middle of the fourth when he had been in for a few minutes.

Chinook
05-03-2014, 01:03 AM
On SpursTalk and the Spurs blogs Splitter is a defensive God that can do nothing wrong. Ever...

Sounds passive-aggressive as hell now, man. Is this how you're gonna play this Splitter debate from now on?

TD 21
05-03-2014, 06:36 PM
I agree Duncan should have been benched. His timing for his shot-blocking wasn't on tonight, which means he's a defensive liability. Splitter played Ellis perfectly as is as big of a reason for Monta being held down for so long as Green was. However, I think that Leonard should have been in to play Carter. That's a matchup that works for him.

Going with Leonard and Green would have meant no Ginobili, which would have been foolish. Despite the Spurs contributing to him looking otherwise at times, Carter's days as a star are long, long gone (though he's been underrated in recent years). Besides, Ginobili is a decent enough defender for him.

Game 7, I'd go with Duncan down the stretch though. I don't think it's his last game, but for the first time, there's at least a possibility that it is and with all he's done for the organization and how little they've done for him, they at least owe him that.

Shastafarian
05-03-2014, 06:45 PM
The problem with that was Kawhi was on Carter for multiple possessions. And that left Manu on Ellis. And that's what likely lost the game.

Chinook
05-03-2014, 07:10 PM
Going with Leonard and Green would have meant no Ginobili, which would have been foolish. Despite the Spurs contributing to him looking otherwise at times, Carter's days as a star are long, long gone (though he's been underrated in recent years). Besides, Ginobili is a decent enough defender for him.

Game 7, I'd go with Duncan down the stretch though. I don't think it's his last game, but for the first time, there's at least a possibility that it is and with all he's done for the organization and how little they've done for him, they at least owe him that.

They can thank him by doing the best they can to win the game and keep his career going. I'd be pissed if he comes in with the Spurs up four with six minutes to play, and stays in even if he proceeds to give up the lead by allowing Ellis to kill him on the PnR. If he plans to retire if he loses tomorrow, he needs to give it his all. If he continues to half-ass his help responsibility, then he does not deserve to close the game out. I'd much rather win without Tim than lose with him.

Leonard's defense is overrated, but it's still very good. He plays passing lanes well and rebounds, which would have been especially helpful yesterday. The idea that it's foolish to not play Ginobili over one of the New Two despite Manu's poor performance is exactly why the Spurs lost. You play the best players who are performing and worry about crap like who's an HoFer later. The Medium Three carry the Spurs as much as, if not more than, the Big Three, so it's not like benching Duncan for Ayres here.

silverblk mystix
05-03-2014, 09:03 PM
:pop:

"Wait til we play Portland...I will DARE Lilliard to hit those threes against our superb strategy of going under the screens!!!!!"

pgardn
05-03-2014, 09:10 PM
So pop is done...

Who do we want next year that is available?

Uriel
05-03-2014, 09:20 PM
:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry I miss Coach Bud. :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

wildchild
05-03-2014, 11:17 PM
Pop's defensive strategy and game plan for this series are...bad.

spurraider21
05-03-2014, 11:48 PM
on the bright side even pop wouldn't be able to fuck up matchups against portland :lol

Splitter on Aldridge
Duncan on Lopez
Leonard on Batum
Green on Lillard
Parker on Matthews

heyheymymy
05-04-2014, 12:21 AM
on the bright side even pop wouldn't be able to fuck up matchups against portland :lol

Splitter on Aldridge
Duncan on Lopez
Leonard on Batum
Green on Lillard
Parker on Matthews

that's easy enough, and manu (hell even patty) could handle mo williams off the bench. lets hope it gets to that point.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-08-2014, 10:52 PM
Lol Fucking pop benching kawhi the whole 3rd just cause he had 3 fouls. Meanwhile pop plays his favorite turnobili the whole 3rd with 4 fouls. That move right their let portland get back in the game tbh...

Jubabe
05-08-2014, 11:02 PM
I feel certain that Pop knows what he's doing. He's the one that is coach of the year. Not any posters on an Internet forum. Have a little faith.

DesignatedT
05-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Lol Fucking pop benching kawhi the whole 3rd just cause he had 3 fouls. Meanwhile pop plays his favorite turnobili the whole 3rd with 4 fouls. That move right their let portland get back in the game tbh...

Lol another double digit win. But but but kawhi didn't play 40 minutes.... stfu

Floyd Pacquiao
05-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Pop can do no wrong I guess... I mean what happen when he benched kawhi? The blazers cut it to 8, tbh...

T Park
05-08-2014, 11:28 PM
Pop can do no wrong I guess... I mean what happen when he benched kawhi? The blazers cut it to 8, tbh...

That was more of bad offense. Nothing with no Leonard.

Go die in a fire now.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-08-2014, 11:34 PM
Leonard was on fire offensively (8-9), tbh.. pop pulled him and the offense went to shit.

Lol "ayres a better more athletic malik rose" etc etc

pgardn
05-08-2014, 11:46 PM

You could literally do this every game with every coach in the NBA.
Great insight Dr. Jack.