05-06-2014, 02:24 PM
Why?!? What am I missing?

ducks
05-06-2014, 02:26 PM
players wanted him
he and front office did not get along though

AFBlue
05-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Embattled relationship with management for months tbqh. Players loved him, but no one else did. It'll be interesting to see how the Splash bros, Iggy and Lee react.

ducks
05-06-2014, 02:28 PM
Jackson clashed constantly with management and struggled to manage his coaching staff during his Warriors tenure. Jackson's disinterest in game preparation and reluctance to practice despite a mostly young and gifted roster played a part in management's reluctance to commit long term to him, league sources said.

Jackson relied on an assistant coach, Darren Erman, to build a top-five defense, but Erman was fired late in the season after an incident that involved the taping of a conversation among the coaching staff.

Jackson had been a popular figure with most key Warriors players.

ducks
05-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Embattled relationship with management for months tbqh. Players loved him, but no one else did. It'll be interesting to see how the Splash bros, Iggy and Lee react.

curry went on record yesterday saying he wanted Jackson back

AFBlue
05-06-2014, 02:32 PM
curry went on record yesterday saying he wanted Jackson back

Oh I know where he stood yesterday, but how he reacts now that it's happened is what I'm interested to see.

AFBlue
05-06-2014, 02:33 PM
Jackson clashed constantly with management and struggled to manage his coaching staff during his Warriors tenure. Jackson's disinterest in game preparation and reluctance to practice despite a mostly young and gifted roster played a part in management's reluctance to commit long term to him, league sources said.

Jackson relied on an assistant coach, Darren Erman, to build a top-five defense, but Erman was fired late in the season after an incident that involved the taping of a conversation among the coaching staff.

Jackson had been a popular figure with most key Warriors players.

Where is this an excerpt from?

Arcadian
05-06-2014, 02:34 PM
He's just not a very smart guy, nor a very good coach...they technically got worse in a year, going from conference semi-finalists to first-round exit. Makes sense to fire him.

testies
05-06-2014, 02:34 PM
he's not a good coach tbh

ducks
05-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Where is this an excerpt from?

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--warriors-fire-mark-jackson-after-three-seasons-190640446.html

ducks
05-06-2014, 02:38 PM
He's just not a very smart guy, nor a very good coach...they technically got worse in a year, going from conference semi-finalists to first-round exit. Makes sense to fire him.

they were minus bogut in the playoffs
he would have helped huge against blake

Mr Fundamental
05-06-2014, 02:39 PM
I think he was doing a good job at Golden State.

Without a true center he forced game 7 against Clippers. Also last year was good.

If Bogut was healthy they could pass Clippers.

The players love him.

Bad decision from front office i think.

Shastafarian
05-06-2014, 02:45 PM

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/849158525.gif

That's owner Joe Lacob.

ThomasamohT
05-06-2014, 02:49 PM

If this was the Leastern Conference I'd agree with you but just making the playoffs in the West is tough enough. When you figure that they would have been at least a 3 seed in the Least, they could have easily gotten to the 2nd round or even conference finals. The West is just brutal and you're never going to improve if you constantly change coaches.

For all his faults, I feel that he took this team as far as it was going to go every year he was there.

chazley
05-06-2014, 02:53 PM
With Bogut they potentially beat the second best team in the Western Conference. Jackson wasn't the best tactical coach, but his players competed their ass off every night for him. It will be tough to find a coach who can do better than what Mark Jackson did.

r-nice
05-06-2014, 03:01 PM
I can see D'Antoni there.

baseline bum
05-06-2014, 03:04 PM
He's a horrible coach.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--warriors-fire-mark-jackson-after-three-seasons-190640446.html

wildbill2u
05-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Jackson really doesn't have a lot of experience as a coach, but he led GSW from 23 wins to 43 to 51 (over .61) in his three years as head coach. It's hard for a coach to learn all the ropes and how to handle owners, staff, coaches and players at this level in such a short time without any prior head coaching experience.

You could tell there was some turmoil at GS when he started firing coaches. We don't know how those coaches acted or what they did, but they may have been going to the owner tellng tales. Nevertheless, it was a distraction that an owner would pick up on. His head might have been on the block regardless unless he won the NBA championship and the owner couldn't fire him.

Dverde
05-06-2014, 03:22 PM
I can see Steve Kerr going to Golden State and Mark Jackson going to the Lakers.

ducks
05-06-2014, 03:22 PM
expectations to high there
knicks lower to begin with and more money

will_spurs
05-06-2014, 04:02 PM
The point is that Jackson was good to develop the franchise, make the team respectable and motivate the players. But he's very limited as a coach: rotations set in stone, not adapting to opposition, not able to draw a play, etc. He's a great regular season coach, but would never go far in the playoffs. The Warriors have a lot of potential right now, a good coach could bring them much farther. It makes sense for the organization. And I'm sure he's going to find a coaching job elsewhere easily.

aal04
05-06-2014, 04:05 PM
GSW easy win vs Clippers with Bogut playing 15-20mpg. Dont see them getting past okc unless they get hawt though

hater
05-06-2014, 04:08 PM
he wasn't really a coach tbh. He was a preacher who was homies with the players. He was probably the worst kind of coach a team can have tbqh

ohmwrecker
05-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Steve Kerr

pgardn
05-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Also somewhat of a religious zealot.
Management saw problems with attracting new players given his mandatory sermons.

Chinook
05-06-2014, 04:20 PM
He probably is the person most responsible for Pop's CoY award this year, though. Those two victories in Oakland with short-handed rosters really elevated Pop's mystique.

DrunkTXLabrat
05-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Fucking stupid firing. The warriors were the third best team in the west. They coulda stood a chance against bron and co, if the clipps and spurs had slipped up. Dont let the pacers or lakers sign "that man."

ginobilized
05-06-2014, 05:24 PM
Mama, there goes that job....

something fishy was going on in GS to lose 2 coaches like that
seems like Jackson has yet to get over himself

Kerr or D'Antoni could do some good work with the pieces that are in place

DPG21920
05-06-2014, 05:31 PM
So, a guy in Jackson continues to clash with management even after they stood by him after that embarrassing adultery story broke in 2012. Seems to me that you should go above and beyond to mesh with everyone in that situation vs being confrontational or off-putting. Especially when they are the ones that gave you a chance when they probably shouldn't have & put a pretty stacked team around you.

Roger Freemason Jr.
05-06-2014, 06:38 PM
The front office were obviously Luciferians.

Pentagruel
05-06-2014, 06:44 PM
It's not a shocking development. He's done well for Golden State but not excellent, and I think most of the success can simply be attributed to a vastly improved roster.

As a manager of players he's done very well, clearly his players love him and play hard for him (mostly ; Bogut I know doesn't like Jackson because he is an atheist and Jackson is a religious zealot). Management is only one quality a coach needs to have however. You also need some tactical acumen and in this sense he is an absolute idiot. That Golden State team is stacked with offensive talent yet they somehow are an awful offensive team. On top of that, he's clashed with his staff and management time and again. If it was purely down to immediate results he was reasonably successful but I doubt he could have taken GS a lot further.

Blizzardwizard
05-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Harsh environment, the NBA. Perhaps those above thought he was becoming too much of a friend with Curry and others, rather than being the coach, which possibly cost them.

Ibleedslvrnblk
05-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Be happy you are not a fan of GSW and the dysfunction that continually goes on there. Complain all you want about the spurs mishaps but at least you don't deal with that garbage out west

moisaenz
05-06-2014, 07:22 PM
they are moving to san francisco ..jackson does not fit...

Vic Petro
05-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Also somewhat of a religious zealot.
Management saw problems with attracting new players given his mandatory sermons.

I honestly think this could be an underrated aspect. It struck me as odd that we was giving full-on sermons with group prayers before playoff games last year. I kept thinking, what if one of those guys isn't religious at all? I've had friends make the point to me that those players can just choose not to participate, but it's a team of 15 guys. If I was on that team and my head coach was leading all this stuff, I'd consider it quasi-mandatory. If his ownership didn't share the same faith, I can definitely see it being a factor.

DPG21920
05-06-2014, 07:50 PM
I don't think anyone took his fake sermon act too seriously considering he was exposed for cheating on his wife with a stripper...In fact, most of the guys playing probably liked him because they could relate to that. Paul George really wants him as a coach tbh..

cjw
05-06-2014, 07:50 PM
they were minus bogut in the playoffs
he would have helped huge against blake

With Bogut, they win that series more than half the time. Clippers are also a better team than the Nuggets team they beat in Round 1 last year.

99 Problems
05-06-2014, 07:59 PM
So tough. Very solid Clippers take them in 7 without big bogey man in the paint. With bogey man they win series. With LA, Knicks etc and other to come needing big time coaches this is tough times to be trying to find a Pop or Doc or Carlisle.

DPG21920
05-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Basically, unless you are Pop, you are replaceable so don't be annoying.

ManuTastic
05-06-2014, 08:07 PM
D'Antoni with the Splash Bros makes perfect sense. Wonder if its already in place?

BillMc
05-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Jackson's real strength was his ability to inspire and motivate. Even if they replace him with a far better x and o coach, it'll be a tougher act to follow than most realize.

BillMc
05-06-2014, 08:11 PM
D'Antoni with the Splash Bros makes perfect sense. Wonder if its already in place?

Lee already played for Mike D didn't he? What is their relationship like?

DesignatedT
05-06-2014, 08:12 PM
I think it's a good move. No reason to waste Curry with a substandard coach.

They definitely have to make a correct hire though.

TheGoldStandard
05-06-2014, 08:13 PM
Which white coaches are available?

Malik Hairston
05-06-2014, 08:14 PM
I don't think Jackson should have been fired if the reason was due to the results of the Warriors season, tbh..they took the Clippers to 7 and probably would have won the series had Bogut played, considering DeAndre Jordan was arguably the best Clipper in the series..

However, management doesn't like him and he's been clashing with assistants..Mark Jackson, like Kevin McHale, is a player's coach with limited tactical skills..

The Warriors were 4th in the NBA in isolation plays this season and 5th in overall 1-on-1 offense..usually that's a sign of either a lack of offensive talent on a roster or lack of creativity/schematic ability by the coach..the Warriors certainly aren't lacking in talent, tbh..

Looking at the other ISO-oriented teams in the league, this season(there were 6 teams that ran at least 10% of their offense through isolation plays):

New York
New Orleans
Brooklyn
Golden State
Houston
Oklahoma City

Everybody already knows about Scott Brooks, so I won't touch that..

Mike Woodson is known for his ISO-centric offenses and he just got fired..Montyball is probably done next season, tbh..Jason Kidd is a rookie coach with a limited roster, I'll give him that..

McHale and Jackson are actually pretty similar, player's coaches that aren't known for tactical ability..however, I'll give McHale an excuse, Harden is the most ISO-oriented player in the NBA and they lack playmakers..

The Warriors have a team with elite shooters, great passers at virtually every position, and a superstar PG that thrives in the pick&roll..how can you possibly justify running a system based entirely on ISO and 1-on-1 basketball?..running 10% of your offense in isolation and 21% of your offense through 1-on-1 plays with a roster that has Curry(best shooter in the NBA and good passer), Iguodala(great passer for his position), Thompson(elite shooter), Lee(very good passer for his position) and Bogut(great passer for his position) doesn't make any sense IMO..

Kidd K
05-06-2014, 09:22 PM
I'm not surprised. Playing devil's advocate here, let's look at the Warriors team besides their head coach. Look at the roster. . .Stephen Curry, easily one of the best PGs in the NBA. Klay Thompson, excellent young player who's a fantastic shooter. Andrew Bogut, one of the best defensive bigs in the NBA. David Lee, one of the best offensive bigs in the NBA.

Is this a team you think SHOULDN'T be making the playoffs or winning around 50 games with just an average head coach? Yeah, exactly.

The Warriors may not have made the playoffs in 15 years until recently but this team they have now is let's be honest, by far their best team in 15 years too. I'm not going out on a limb here by saying Mark Jackson will never lead a team to the Finals and win a title. I can even go as far as to guarantee he never will. He isn't that good of a coach so it's an easy prediction to make.

The Warriors are a great team who have a good future if their key guys stick around. Being real here, Mark Jackson was very lucky to step into that situation right as they were getting David Lee, Bogut, Thompson, and Curry entering him prime. Jackson is getting way too much credit for the team's improvement imo.

mudyez
05-06-2014, 10:55 PM
I'm sad for Jacksons successor. Players loved Jackson and the new man will be kind of the evil stepmother.

poeticism707
05-06-2014, 11:23 PM
If this was the Leastern Conference I'd agree with you but just making the playoffs in the West is tough enough. When you figure that they would have been at least a 3 seed in the Least, they could have easily gotten to the 2nd round or even conference finals. The West is just brutal and you're never going to improve if you constantly change coaches.

For all his faults, I feel that he took this team as far as it was going to go every year he was there.

This.

The FO is full of moronos, who will never win.

I hope Curry demands a trade.

itzsoweezee
05-06-2014, 11:24 PM
The Warriors management is full of idiots. I believe the owner used to be a Celtics part owner. After buying the Warriors, he moved his son into the front office. Then, he brought over an assistant coach from the Celitcs, Erman, and Scalabrine, another Celtic. Jackson, rightfully, got rid of both of those guys.

Basically, Lacob wants the Warriors to be run by people affiliated with the Celtics. He's a moron and a micromanager. The Warriors are perpetually losers and just got rid of the guy who finally had a Warriors team that played defense and made back-to-back playoffs for the first time in something like 30 years.

By the way, the Warriors lineup is fairly shitty. Curry is awesome, and Iggy is a good player. But Bogut is always hurt, Thompson is overrated, and David Lee is a terrible stat-stuffer. I hope GSW goes back to being the laughing stock they've always been.

mudyez
05-06-2014, 11:30 PM
Not saying Jackson is a great coach (he always was more of a sports movie pre game speach preacher), but I doubt another coach will have more success with this team.

Problem is: They can't do much with the roster right now (only trading Barnes) as they lack picks and trade assets (can't trade Curry/Thompson) so they might as well go for the coaching change.

Because they sacrificed their future in trading these picks, they need to win now (not a good timing with this Western Conference).

mudyez
05-06-2014, 11:32 PM
I hate him, but would think Mike D'Antoni might be fun with Curry around.

TampaDude
05-06-2014, 11:48 PM
Had to be office politics. The Warriors improved every year under Mark Jackson.

Heh...maybe he'll get back in the booth. I miss his silly "Jacksonisms". :lol

LarryDavid
05-06-2014, 11:51 PM

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/849158525.gif?1397938763

SilverSpur
05-06-2014, 11:58 PM
I believed his GM was the reason Golden State was a good team not the coaching. He played up to the cameras to much during timeouts always giving these over Rehearsed quotes.
Look for D Antoni or a former spur assistant to take the job ( Avery Johnson , PJ Carlisimo , or Vinny Del Negro )
Maybe we can get a player from them like David Lee this off season

superbigtime
05-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Any team with Bogut has a built in excuse for losing. Jackson wasn't a great coach, but I thought the results were pretty good considering what he had to work with. I could see how he could rub an owner the wrong way. He's a loudmouth from new york.

spurs10
05-07-2014, 12:19 AM
I don't think anyone took his fake sermon act too seriously considering he was exposed for cheating on his wife with a stripper...In fact, most of the guys playing probably liked him because they could relate to that. Paul George really wants him as a coach tbh..
:lmao Well played!

Spurs da champs
05-07-2014, 12:21 AM
Coach Bud should have waited for this opportunity tbh, Atlanta's talent & the East's overall weakness is just gonna make them mediocre for many more years to come.

Baseline
05-07-2014, 01:34 AM
What I really hate is that Mark Jackson will be back in the booth next year talking into a microphone. I'd rather listen to Gilbert Gottfried.

Chinook
05-07-2014, 01:40 AM
I'd rather listen to Gilbert Gottfried.

We already essentially have that in Hubie Brown.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-07-2014, 01:50 AM
Coach Bud should have waited for this opportunity tbh, Atlanta's talent & the East's overall weakness is just gonna make them mediocre for many more years to come.

Atlanta is just an opportunity for Bud to make some bank while refining his abilities as head coach. He'll get the Spurs head coaching job whenever he wants once Pop leaves. He gets to make head coach money with Atlanta in the meantime.

Arcadian
05-07-2014, 01:51 AM
What I really hate is that Mark Jackson will be back in the booth next year talking into a microphone. I'd rather listen to Gilbert Gottfried.

That is true...but I also hate seeing him as a coach, especially when they mic him up and we have to listen to shit like, "Play with heart out there, and you will be uplifted to the promise land!" and similar other such stupid nonsense. I actually feel like the NBA collectively just got a little bit better with him gone (although someone else will probably, unfortunately, end up hiring him).

jARS mEsH sEt
05-07-2014, 01:51 AM
I mean for a team that stresses "corporate knowledge" so much, there is literally no one qualified to take Pop's throne other than Bud.

therealtruth
05-07-2014, 03:34 AM
He pretty much coached like he broadcasted. From the way he broadcasted you could tell x and o's weren't his strength. He would be more of a motivator.

will_spurs
05-07-2014, 05:19 AM
I don't think anyone took his fake sermon act too seriously considering he was exposed for cheating on his wife with a stripper...

This being said going on anti-gay sermons when coaching a franchise that has its eyes on relocating to San Francisco and when key members of the FO are openly gay might not be the best move ever. Jackson should learn to separate his private and professional lives better.

exstatic
05-07-2014, 07:11 AM
he's not a good coach tbh
He's not an Xs and Os guy,so he needs his assistants, but he doesn't trust them either.

Mark Jackson got fired for being a paranoid.

Also, it was God's will and part of his plan.

spurspokesman
05-07-2014, 07:32 AM
With Bogut they potentially beat the second best team in the Western Conference. Jackson wasn't the best tactical coach, but his players competed their ass off every night for him. It will be tough to find a coach who can do better than what Mark Jackson did.

Dverde
05-07-2014, 08:36 AM
Series down, Coach down. Please do not let this guy call national games again. One of the worst.

DrunkTXLabrat
05-07-2014, 11:24 AM
He's not an Xs and Os guy,so he needs his assistants, but he doesn't trust them either.

Mark Jackson got fired for being a paranoid.

Also, it was God's will and part of his plan.

Lol

xmas1997
05-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Their FO wants to go in another direction.
Since Jackson had them going up, I guess they want them to go down!
:lol
Next I'll read on here how the Pop haters will want him to replace Pop!
What a joke that would be.
:lol

Obstructed_View
05-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Because when they needed to score and get smart baskets at the end of game 7, Jackson had Andre Iguodala, one of the dumbest fucking players in the league, running point instead of Stef Curry. That's kind of a fireable offense, but I'm sure that's not why it happened. He was going to get shitcanned even if they lost in the west finals.

Jimcs50
05-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Apparently, winning does not matter in the West.

Karl won 57 games last year, was COY, and was fired.

Hollins won 56 games, and was fired

Jackson 51 wins, and is history

DPG21920
05-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Looking at wins is one thing, but look at the talent. There are several coaches that could have led that talent to 50 wins IMO. He is very replaceable and on top of that he annoys owners - it's not a good receipe. That's not to say he is an awful coach, he's just nothing special.

will_spurs
05-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Apparently, winning does not matter in the West.

Karl won 57 games last year, was COY, and was fired.

Hollins won 56 games, and was fired

Jackson 51 wins, and is history

That might be because nobody gives a shit about how many wins a coach gets in the regular season, but how far he advances in the playoffs. Not every franchise is like Denver, happy to be handed 1st round exits after 1st round exits...

Floyd Pacquiao
05-07-2014, 03:08 PM
Good motivator, bad Xs and Os coach, as are all black coaches, tbh...

ceperez
05-07-2014, 03:30 PM
He appeared to be a very good motivtor.

Took the Clippers to a game 7.

Gave the Spurs lots of problems last year.

Both the Clippers and last year Spurs were of course just better teams.

Owners probably has other expectations.

However, I think the best explanation is that this team should be passing more given the kind of talent it has.

AlleyOopNazi
05-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Losing your job after a 50+ win season has got to sting.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2014, 03:46 PM
Good motivator, bad Xs and Os coach, as are all black coaches, tbh...

Phil Jackson is the ultimate black coach.