PDA

View Full Version : Rick Carlisle appreciation thread, tbh...

ElNono
05-06-2014, 11:22 PM
How good is this guy? I mean, even in Game 7, our bench couldn't string 3 passes together... he attacked every one of our weaknesses and with an older team...

Don't want to get ahead of myself here, and Stotts might look at some of the tape from the previous series, but wow... what a difference.

Uriel
05-06-2014, 11:23 PM
I read somewhere that Stotts, who is Carlisle's former assistant, has already reached out to his ex-boss for advice.

Robz4000
Agreed. My boy benefactor might've been right about the Spurs needing that last round.

HI-FI
Pop said he was "confounded" by Carlisle and called him one of the most clever coaches around. Even if Stotts rips him off, he still isn't a natural like Carlisle.

mudyez
05-06-2014, 11:24 PM
Rick Carlisle probably is a top2 coach in this league. I like that guy.

Seventyniner
05-06-2014, 11:25 PM
I read somewhere that Stotts, who is Carlisle's former assistant, has already reached out to his ex-boss for advice.

He's going to need it. Carlisle is a top 3 coach.

itzsoweezee
05-06-2014, 11:26 PM
Carlisle also had the benefit of a roster full of experienced veterans. Most of the Blazers personnel has never been in the second round of the playoffs.

soxxx
05-06-2014, 11:27 PM
Carlisle took out the Lakers, Thunder, and Heat in one grand run. Forever Mirin.

jag
05-06-2014, 11:29 PM
RC got Pop primed for this round. And having his team so well prepared, helped ready the Spurs that much more. Need to play with the same urgency in Game 2.

05-06-2014, 11:30 PM
Carlisle took out the Lakers, Thunder, and Heat in one grand run. Forever Mirin.
this

pgardn
05-06-2014, 11:31 PM
Portland ran directly into screens all night, switches were horrible, could not get into passing lanes, they disrupted practically nothing.

Completely diff. compared to the Dallas D.

Portland was really awful defensively. They can't beat us 7 games playing horrid D.
If these two coaches are joined at the hip it did not show tonight.

letmk
05-06-2014, 11:33 PM
Even before this year's 1st round with the Spurs, I have him on the top of the list with Pop. Even Pop can't be said to surely win the 2011 champion with that roster. He gets good results anywhere he coaches. In Detroit, he built the team before Larry Brown took over, and in Indiana, he took the Pacers to the championship level before the Palace melee.

peacemaker885
This thread. Tbh.

pgardn

That was some of the best team basketball I have ever seen. They were a pleasure to watch.

DesignatedT
05-06-2014, 11:35 PM
Cant underestimate experience. Dallas was littered with guys who have been there and seen it all. A lot easier to implement an idea or strategy with a veteran group who truly understands. Those guys carried out the game plan perfectly for Dallas.

100%duncan
05-06-2014, 11:35 PM
2nd Best right now behind Pop tbh.

scanry
05-06-2014, 11:37 PM
Carlisle is a boss tbh. The way he carved up the Heat defense and zoned their ass@s to death in 2011 was amazing. Heck he coached that team to a title that year. One of the best coaching jobs i've seen in a long long time. This year only proves it.

timtonymanu
05-06-2014, 11:38 PM
2nd Best right now behind Pop tbh.

I don't know. He really outcoached Pop in the 1st round, but Pop had the better talent to advance. I think they are on the same level, tbh.

TheGoldStandard
05-06-2014, 11:39 PM
He models himself after Pop as we've seen with some of his interviews. He's creative and he get his players to buy into what he's selling and that's the most important part of the job.

100%duncan
05-06-2014, 11:40 PM
I don't know. He really outcoached Pop in the 1st round, but Pop had the better talent to advance. I think they are on the same level, tbh.

Could be. We'll see in this playoffs IF we get past Portland how Pop will solve the OKC problem.

Mugen
05-06-2014, 11:43 PM
:lol wasn't there an ESPN article that had him outside the top 5 coaches in the league tbh??

jARS mEsH sEt
05-06-2014, 11:50 PM
Carlisle is the only coach besides Pop who has indefinite tenure in this league at the moment.

ezau
05-06-2014, 11:50 PM
Carlisle is easily the second best coach after Pop right now.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-06-2014, 11:57 PM
:lol wasn't there an ESPN article that had him outside the top 5 coaches in the league tbh??

Yeah that list was a joke. IMHO Carlisle is the rank 2 coach in the league and top 5 along with Pop, Thibs, Doc, and...wait for it...Spoelstra.

I don't understand why Erik Spolestra gets so much flak. He's actually quite good with X's and O's, despite having a stacked hand. He has a phenomenal understanding of the game.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-06-2014, 11:58 PM
I used to think Doc was a little overrated but I'm impressed with the offensive scheme he came up with in L.A. The ball movement is phenomenal.

benefactor
05-06-2014, 11:59 PM
Agreed. My boy benefactor might've been right about the Spurs needing that last round.
Spurs just came out of a round where they faced a team with a first ballot hall of famer and the second best coach in the league. Blazers beat up on one of the most mentally weak playoff teams in NBA history with a coach that is better off working the concession.

Blazers never knew what hit them.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-07-2014, 12:00 AM
Thibs' greatest flaw is his awful offensive schemes, but defensively he's very very good. That being said, Chicago's defense is inflated because of how rough they're allowed to play, so they make Thibs look better than he actually is, but Thibs is still very good in that regard.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-07-2014, 12:02 AM
If im cuban i do everything and anything to lock him up forever, tbh...

testies
05-07-2014, 12:03 AM
two things I want really bad :

When Pop calls it quits, we need to go balls deep for Carlisle or Budenholzer

When Timmy calls it quits, we need to go balls deep for Unibrow

Clipper Nation
05-07-2014, 12:04 AM
I used to think Doc was a little overrated but I'm impressed with the offensive scheme he came up with in L.A. The ball movement is phenomenal.
In fairness, it wasn't all Doc, although Doc is a good X's and O's coach himself - Alvin Gentry also had a huge role in implementing those schemes, tbh....

Mugen
05-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Yeah, the Spurs had the Game 1 luxury of playing a very similar team to their 1st round opponent.

And POR just found out the Spurs and Rockets couldn't be any more different tbh

jARS mEsH sEt
05-07-2014, 12:05 AM
In fairness, it wasn't all Doc, although Doc is a good X's and O's coach himself - Alvin Gentry also had a huge role in implementing those schemes, tbh....

Really? Maybe game 1 against OKC was an aberration but you guys looked like the best passing team in the league. It was completely different from what I had seen from the Clippers in the past. I just assumed that was a product of Doc.

Clipper Nation
05-07-2014, 12:07 AM
Really? Maybe game 1 against OKC was an aberration but you guys looked like the best passing team in the league. It was completely different from what I had seen from the Clippers in the past. I just assumed that was a product of Doc.
It's both of them, really, but I'm surprised that Gentry isn't getting much credit from the media at all, tbh....

That ball movement was no fluke, and it starts with CP3 and Blake, who are both elite and willing passers for their positions, tbh....

jARS mEsH sEt
05-07-2014, 12:11 AM
It's both of them, really, but I'm surprised that Gentry isn't getting much credit from the media at all, tbh....

That ball movement was no fluke, and it starts with CP3 and Blake, who are both elite and willing passers for their positions, tbh....

:lmao you're telling me. I wasn't even aware that Gentry was Doc's lead assistant, tbh.

RD2191
05-07-2014, 12:14 AM
He's ight. Just knows the Spurs well and had a good game plan.

Calispursfan11
05-07-2014, 12:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9IgLueodZA

Sean Cagney
Rick Carlisle probably is a top2 coach in this league. I like that guy.

He is a beast, he threw the Spurs a flat out curve in that series.

Malik Hairston
Thibs' greatest flaw is his awful offensive schemes, but defensively he's very very good. That being said, Chicago's defense is inflated because of how rough they're allowed to play, so they make Thibs look better than he actually is, but Thibs is still very good in that regard.

The Bulls actually run nice offensive sets with a lot of ball movement..they ranked 10th and 5th, offensively, in the past 2 seasons when Derrick Rose was on the court..

They currently don't have any talent:lol..

letmk
05-07-2014, 12:23 AM

To me. Thib's problem is not on offense, but the lack long-term perspective. As a player, whenever you are on the court, you are expected to play 110%. But as a coach, he needs to see the difference between now and then, regular reason and playoffs. Simply put, not every game counts the same. Players are not machines after all, playing hard is not enough or sometimes playing too hard all the time is bad.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-07-2014, 12:24 AM
The Bulls actually run nice offensive sets with a lot of ball movement..they ranked 10th and 5th, offensively, in the past 2 seasons when Derrick Rose was on the court..

They currently don't have any talent:lol..

It's probably confirmation bias on my part then. Admittedly I don't watch many bulls games, but I see a lot of stagnant 2 man game with curl screens and not a lot of side to side movement, but this is without Rose.

Spurs da champs
05-07-2014, 12:55 AM
It really helps the Spurs started playing like the Spurs, the annihilation of both the Mavs & Blazers the last 2 games proves that. Tho, I expect Portland to be much better than they were tonight.

freetiago
05-07-2014, 01:25 AM
Mavs relied on a gimmick to beat the Spurs
Tony shitting the bed is what hurt us the most tbh..
when he is healthy and dominating they can't run that gimmick which is why the last 2 games were blow outs

Mavs relied on switching slow, unathletic, and non-defenders to begin with like Irk and Blair onto Parker
you have to play what the defense gives you instead of trying to force ball movement and being passive

Parker didn't for more than 1 quarter at a time in games 1-6

ezau
05-07-2014, 02:03 AM
To me. Thib's problem is not on offense, but the lack long-term perspective. As a player, whenever you are on the court, you are expected to play 110%. But as a coach, he needs to see the difference between now and then, regular reason and playoffs. Simply put, not every game counts the same. Players are not machines after all, playing hard is not enough or sometimes playing too hard all the time is bad.

Kinda agree with this. Thibs problem is he's terrible at managing his star players' minutes. He ran Rose to the ground in just two years.

Malik Hairston
05-07-2014, 02:13 AM
Kinda agree with this. Thibs problem is his terrible at managing his star players' minutes. He ran Rose to the ground in just two years.

Rose's MPG per season, pre-injury: 37, 37, 37
Duncan at the same age: 39, 39, 39
Kobe: 38, 41, 38
Paul: 36, 37, 38
Durant: 39, 40, 39

You can go on forever with the comparisons:lol..I don't know why people think Rose was ran into the ground, his minutes weren't even notably high for a star player..

ezau
05-07-2014, 02:33 AM
Rose's MPG per season, pre-injury: 37, 37, 37
Duncan at the same age: 39, 39, 39
Kobe: 38, 41, 38
Paul: 36, 37, 38
Durant: 39, 40, 39

You can go on forever with the comparisons:lol..I don't know why people think Rose was ran into the ground, his minutes weren't even notably high for a star player..

Rose's MPG in the playoffs:

44.7, 42.4, 40.6, 37 :lol

KaiRMD1
05-07-2014, 03:10 AM
Have always had respect for Carlisle, he's legitimately a coach in a league where coaches are heralded for having players that don't listen to them or players that just go out and score. Dude legitimately coaches his fn' team and Carlisle is definitely a top 3 coach in the league. Outcoached Pop like crazy that last round and if anything, may have winded up teaching Pop a thing and prepared him for this run.

therealtruth
05-07-2014, 03:25 AM
Rose's MPG in the playoffs:

44.7, 42.4, 40.6, 37 :lol

Even check out Jordan/Pippen's MPG? Those guys won 6 championships in 8 years.

99 Problems
05-07-2014, 04:20 AM
Very fine Coach.

SpursFan86
05-07-2014, 04:33 AM
I think Carlisle is the 2nd best coach in the league behind Pop tbh. One of the best strategists in the league and it seems like his players really respect him.

therealtruth
05-07-2014, 05:39 AM
I said Carlisle was actually doing the Spurs and Pop a favor by challenging them early on.

will_spurs
05-07-2014, 06:43 AM
Definitely earned a lot of respect this time, since it was definitely his coaching and strategy that pushed this series to 7 games, not the talent on his squad (although Vince Carter showed he can still shoot, and that's always nice to have as a coach).

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
05-07-2014, 07:17 AM

People forget that the Pacers were the best team in the East and were looking like titles favorites before the sore ass losers Pistons destroy their team with their Malice at the Palace antics.

Carlisle is a brilliant coach. that is why I wasn't confident in saying the Spurs were going to win that series in X amount of games. I just knew the Spurs would have to wear out the Mavs to win and they did just that. Carlisle is one of the very few coaches on Pop's level when it comes to being a tactician.

I guess we can thank him for waking up the Sleeping Giant.

ElNono
05-11-2014, 12:16 AM

well, I'm glad he's the chinese copy...

pgardn
05-11-2014, 01:03 AM
Stotts was clueless as to what needed to be done. I actually felt sorry for him during the interview, he had nothing other than excess perspiration.

therealtruth
06-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Bump.

spursistan
01-30-2017, 05:33 AM
I wish this guy was in charge of our team..He's been a far superior coach than Pop for the last 3 years..:depressed

This Spurs team is flawed for a supposed title contender, but I am going to die on the hill of Pop isn't maximizing this roster.When coaching becomes some sort of liability in a playoff series, your team is pretty much toast if you are out-talented by the opposition..

Pop style has tilted more toward an overthinking stubbornness instead of genuine coaching creativity that had hitherto bridged talent gap the Spurs suffered from as the Big 3 aged (2011-2014)...

SAGirl
01-30-2017, 02:50 PM
I admire Carlisle bc he has consistently been working with mediocre to questionable talent in Dirk's twilight, yet he's had that team in the playoff season after season. Meantime you look around the league and see teams like the Wolves and such loaded with lottery talent who can't win games consistently. He's a very smart coach.

cd98
01-30-2017, 03:06 PM
Yes, he's done a mostly good job with crap, but it's not like he has the Mavs playing playoff basketball. He has them playing good enough to surprise a good team every once in a while, but mostly bad enough to get blown out. Spurs took this game for granted and got it handed to them. They aren't as bad as that loss last night, but two losses to sub-500 teams in a row, including one on your home court means you need to comeback with a fury in the next game and show you can defend.

sasaint
01-30-2017, 04:07 PM
Yes, he's done a mostly good job with crap, but it's not like he has the Mavs playing playoff basketball. He has them playing good enough to surprise a good team every once in a while, but mostly bad enough to get blown out. Spurs took this game for granted and got it handed to them. They aren't as bad as that loss last night, but two losses to sub-500 teams in a row, including one on your home court means you need to comeback with a fury in the next game and show you can defend.

That's what I would have expected for the Mavs game. :wow

alpha_HaZE
01-30-2017, 07:54 PM
How good is this guy? I mean, even in Game 7, our bench couldn't string 3 passes together... he attacked every one of our weaknesses and with an older team...

Don't want to get ahead of myself here, and Stotts might look at some of the tape from the previous series, but wow... what a difference.

Pop maybe the best of all time, Carlisle is probably the best coach in the NBA today.

Kawhitstorm
01-30-2017, 10:37 PM
Beat the Spurs/Cavs B2B while starting a D-League point guard on a 10-day contract.:wakeup

Yuixafun
01-30-2017, 11:02 PM
Yea bizarre.... lol @ Tristan Thompson, for beating his chest after the Thunder game, saying he earned his money, and then scoring 0 points and collecting 8 boards and playing crap defense in a loss to Dallas.

TheDoctor
01-30-2017, 11:52 PM
Carlisle <3

bigfan
01-31-2017, 12:09 AM
He's the second best coach in the league.

Kawhitstorm
01-31-2017, 02:04 AM
He's the second best coach in the league.

Yeah, Doc is #1 since he owns Pop.:wakeup

Spurs9
01-31-2017, 09:35 AM
Beat the Spurs/Cavs B2B while starting a D-League point guard on a 10-day contract.:wakeup

:wow Don't feel so bad now that the Cavs lost to the same team

DMC
01-31-2017, 09:37 AM
Rick is ok. If Pop had Wes, Barnes and Dirk he'd be 5th seed at worst though.