PDA

View Full Version : Would You Guys Do This Trade?

YamaSama
08-10-2005, 09:01 AM
Spurs trade:
Nazr Mohammed
Glenn Robinson (resigned for 1yr at 3 mil)
The rights to Luis Scola

Hornets trade:
Jamaal Magloire
Rasual Butler

Why the Spurs do it: Nazr's trade value is probably at an alltime high - furthermore, the likelihood that he will leave the Spurs for a big contract at the end of the season appears very high. Meanwhile, the Hornets have been shopping Magloire around (his trade value is relatively low after his injury-plagued season last year), and he would be the perfect 5 to help TD in the low post. And Butler would be that long, defensive minded 3 who can spot up and hit the trey.

Why the Hornets do it:
The Hornets want young talent and cap flexibility right now. Scola would be the gem of this trade for them, while Mohammed would be a decent fill-in for Magloire (another Kentucky big man, in fact) - more importantly, Nazr would be off the books at the end of the season. Big Dog would essentially do what Dominique Wilkins did for the Spurs the year everything went to hell - he would be a consistent scorer who could keep the Hornets within 20 points of the other squad while the younger players take their time "developing".

spur219
08-10-2005, 09:06 AM
I don't see the Hornets wanting GROB

spursupporter
08-10-2005, 09:29 AM
absolutely no.

Rescueone
08-10-2005, 11:07 AM
No, I wouldn't do it. We will trade rasho this year and might lose Nazr next year. The best scenario would be extending Nazr after Rasho is traded and bringing Scola over next year! If we end up losing both Nazr and Rasho this year, Scola will be needed next year. we can't package Scola in any trade deal. If the Spurs do, they risk losing all three bigs next year. Now this all depends on what the Spurs get in return for Rasho. The front court of Nazr, Duncan, Oberto, Horry, Scola and (Rasho player in return) would be dangerous.

ChumpDumper
08-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Hornets can't do it for three months anyway.

batman2883
08-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Hell no, we will not trade luis scola

Gummi
08-10-2005, 11:19 AM
The Hornets don't want Glenn back. Also, Magloire would be in Duncan's way in the paint. He has no outside shot.

And finally the Spurs don't want to add more big contracts to their salary. Magloire makes around $9 mill a year.

CharlieMac
08-10-2005, 11:22 AM
What was Maloires season like last year?

ALVAREZ6
08-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Big Dog cancels out Butler, and Magloire is not worth Nazr and Luis.

Hell no.

SWC Bonfire
08-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Nazr is extremely valuable to the Spurs if he plays well, and is still extremely valuable if he plays poorly because of his expiring contract.

It would have to be one sweet deal to trade him.

batman2883
08-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Rasho is the only Spur from this past season that i think really really needs to be traded or waived

Sense
08-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Spurs trade:
Nazr Mohammed
The rights to Luis Scola

Hornets trade:
Jamaal Magloire
Rasual Butler

Why the Spurs do it: Nazr's trade value is probably at an alltime high - furthermore, the likelihood that he will leave the Spurs for a big contract at the end of the season appears very high. Meanwhile, the Hornets have been shopping Magloire around (his trade value is relatively low after his injury-plagued season last year), and he would be the perfect 5 to help TD in the low post. And Butler would be that long, defensive minded 3 who can spot up and hit the trey.

Why the Hornets do it:
The Hornets want young talent and cap flexibility right now. Scola would be the gem of this trade for them, while Mohammed would be a decent fill-in for Magloire (another Kentucky big man, in fact) - more importantly, Nazr would be off the books at the end of the season. Big Dog would essentially do what Dominique Wilkins did for the Spurs the year everything went to hell - he would be a consistent scorer who could keep the Hornets within 20 points of the other squad while the younger players take their time "developing".

Never.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Dumb idea.

spursfor
08-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Add a 1st rounder and i'd do it JM is just as productive as NAr, G-rob would be waved and who knows if Scola is going to play for us. Plus the Hornets are a bad team, so we'd get a productive draft pick,

Isiah Thomas
08-10-2005, 02:47 PM
I'd do this trade in a heartbeat.

Dre_7
08-10-2005, 05:40 PM

:lmao

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Add a 1st rounder and i'd do it JM is just as productive as NAr, G-rob would be waved and who knows if Scola is going to play for us.

And Magloire makes more than either Manu or Tony, has no jumper, but hey if you think that's a good idea, I guess I'm just glad you're not running the team.

benjirh
08-10-2005, 06:12 PM
You guys are morons. This would be a great trade. Magloire is bigger, a lot better than Nazr, and has a longer contract. His rebound and block numbers are better and I am sure he has to be a better passer. Don't get me wrong I like Nazr, but to say they are equal is ridiculous. Durability wise, Magloire played in all 82 games for three seasons straight before this last year. Nazr can claim only one 82 game season in his entire career. Getting Butler would be a bonus. He can play SF and is only 26 . Plus his contract is only guarunteed through this year, so if he doesn't work out then his contract comes off the books.

Having our starting five locked up for the next two years is the best part. Scola isn't coming this year and who knows if he will even come next year. It would be nice, but is not guarunteed. I would take this deal in a heart beat. Only problem is NO WAY does NO even listen to it.

benjirh
08-10-2005, 06:16 PM
And Magloire makes more than either Manu or Tony, has no jumper, but hey if you think that's a good idea, I guess I'm just glad you're not running the team.

And Nazr does have a jumper? Yes he makes more than either manu or tony, but he is easily a top 10 center in the league. Close to being top 5.

Boo
08-10-2005, 06:17 PM

hahah :lol :lol

i wonder who the real person is typing that?

benjirh
08-10-2005, 06:21 PM
hahah :lol :lol

i wonder who the real person is typing that?

me.

benjirh
08-10-2005, 06:23 PM
so far the only arguments i hear for not taking him is that he has no jumper and he makes more than manu and tony. big deal.

exstatic
08-10-2005, 06:50 PM
That IS a big deal. The Spurs are trying desperately to dump an incomplete center who makes $6M, and you want to go out and get one that makes $9M.

So far the only arguments i hear for taking him are by wet pant fan boys who don't have to pay the bills.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Magloire is bigger, a lot better than Nazr, and has a longer contract. His rebound and block numbers are better and I am sure he has to be a better passer.

Jamaal Magloire's career numbers:
9.4 PPG, 7.4 RPG, 1.1 BPG

Nazr's career numbers:
7.3 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 0.7 BPG

Jamaal's '05 numbers:
11.7 PPG, 9 RPG, 1.0 BPG

Nazr's '05 numbers:
9.5 PPG, 7.6 RPG, 1.12 BPG

So for one basket and two rebounds a game, you want to spend double the money? You should run for Congress.

"I'm taller, I'm smarter, and gosh darn it people like me." Well, I guess you can use that for your Magloire is better argument :lol

so far the only arguments i hear for not taking him is that he has no jumper and he makes more than manu and tony. big deal.

So far you look like the dumbass in this thread. Do you feel Magloire's production (remember, that's just one bucket and two boards per game better than Nazr) would exceed that of Manu and Tony? I sure don't.

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Please dont EVER do this trade. This makes no freaking sense. You trade Nazr away for someone who makes even more money? How does this trade help our luxury tax issues? Magloire doesnt seem to be a major upgrade to me anyway. Sometimes when you suggest something, please show some real benefit from both sides.

If you said that the hornets want cap flexibility and young talent now, why in the world will they want Grob and Nazr? One is old the other offers no cap flexibility. I think Magloire fits better with them than Nazr.

YamaSama
08-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Thanks to everyone who offered constructive criticism.
A lot of good points were made - however, I still think that Magloire is a substantial upgrade in talent over Nazr. I understand your point about paying a another player around $9 million, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nazr is asking close to that come next summer. If that's not the case, then this trade is automatically a null point.
Basically, the assumption that I am making is that Nazr will demand a big contract at the end of next season, leaving the Spurs with Rasho (who appears to be untradeable after the TAW fiasco), Horry, Oberto, and possibly Scola as Tim's frontcourt mates. Thinking back to all the times Tim has made clear his preference for a true 5, that group is less than ideal (Rasho is a true 5, but in just about everyone's opinion, he sucks).
Moreover, one of the cardinal rules in the NBA is to never let a player walk in free agency when you can receive value for your team in return. Assuming that Nazr is leaving, it is better to trade him now when his value is very high (especially judging by how fervently you all stand up for him). Remember, Nazr's stats in the playoffs weren't much different from Rasho's stats during the regular season.
And regarding Scola - I'm not entirely convinced that he could make an impact on the Spurs, what with Horry, Duncan, and Oberto at the 4. Maybe I'm underestimating him, but if he is just an undersized scoring 4 like I've heard some people say, AND if he wants serious playime like I've heard, I don't see a problem sending him to a place like NO.
In conclusion, I proposed this trade after considering which teams in the NBA might be interested in the cap space afforded by Nazr's expiring contract. I then saw that the Hornets had two things the Spurs need - a true presence at the 5, and a long, shooting 3. Scola seemed like the right price to pay, and Big Dog was an addition for salary matching purposes (while also giving NO at least one scoring threat). I now realize that the idea of sending Big Dog back to NO is ridiculous, but I was just trying to make something work.
I'm not convinced either that this is a great trade - that's why I labeled the thread "Would You Guys Do This Trade?" I'm a lifelong Spurs fan, and I love thinking of possible ways to improve the team. I'll keep submitting ideas - I don't mind if you shoot them down, just try to help me think of what the weaknesses are and what better proposals might be.

-YS

Horry For 3!
08-10-2005, 10:58 PM
Spurs trade:
Nazr Mohammed
The rights to Luis Scola

Hornets trade:
Jamaal Magloire
Rasual Butler

Why the Hornets do it:
Fuck no!!!!!!! Magloire is shit in the West, he is pretty good in the East. Rasual Butler is average but no better than Glenn.

YamaSama
08-10-2005, 11:09 PM
One More Thing: If you don't think that Nazr's trade value is going to decrease, consider this - Nazr will be competing for minutes with not only Tim and Horry, but also Oberto AND a no longer injured Rasho (who like Malik last year, will be showcased from time to time to increase his trade value).

Rescueone
08-11-2005, 09:28 AM
One More Thing: If you don't think that Nazr's trade value is going to decrease, consider this - Nazr will be competing for minutes with not only Tim and Horry, but also Oberto AND a no longer injured Rasho (who like Malik last year, will be showcased from time to time to increase his trade value).

Nazr won't be competing for minutes against Duncan and Horry, they play different positions. Horry comes in for Duncan at PF. Nazr will be the starter, with Oberto backing him up. Rasho will be gone soon, hopefully for a SF.

benjirh
08-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Just to make sure we are clear, I am a huge fan of Nazr and I think he is a good player. But I think Magloire is not just better, but alot better. From what I am hearing people feel that Oberto will take Rashos mins anyways and that Rasho is on the way out. So here is what I see, Magloire and Oberto taking over Nazr and Rasho's spots. So instead of paying 12.2 mil for our top 2 centers, we are paying under 12 for our top 2 centers.

benjirh
08-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Magloire is shit in the West, he is pretty good in the East.

04-05
vs. East: 12.0p, 6.6r, 1.3b
vs. West: 11.5p, 10.1r, .9b
03-04
vs. East: 13.3p, 10.5r, 1.3b
vs. West: 14.2p, 9.9r, 1.1b
02-03
vs. East: 10.3p, 8.9r, 1.4b
vs. West: 10.3p, 8.6r, 1.2b

Sorry, I don't see it.