PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Notice How The Referees Called The 2nd Half?

cd021
05-07-2014, 12:44 AM
Not usually one to complain about refereeing but it was pretty noticeable. Even some of the reactions from the Spurs players showed some of their frustration, including Duncan who was reacting from the bench after Portland took 12 free throws from the final 5:50 of the 3rd.

The fans began chanting "Refs you suck" during that stretch.

Portland trailed by 26 at halftime. By the end of the 3rd quarter Portland had 27 FTA. The Blazershad 16 FTA in the 3rd quarter. The Referees were, seemingly, trying to keep the game relatively close.

That is something i've noticed throughout the post season, when a team is pulling away the trailing team seems to be much more likely to get to the free throw line.

After the Spurs maintained the lead through the end of the 3rd quarter, The game was more evenly officiated.

The Spurs had 7 FTs attempted in the 3rd quarter and 8 in the 4th quarter, to the Blazers 4 free throws attempted.

Portland, who trailed the entire second half, had only 11 attempts in the 1st half but 20 in the second half.

They finished with 31 attempts (connecting on 26 of them , 84%) Aldridge, who was in a particularly bad slump took 7 of his 9 foul shots in the 3rd quarter, scoring 6 points.

RD2191
05-07-2014, 12:49 AM
I just know Tiago is going to be in foul trouble early in Game 2. Solid analysis btw. Yes, most of us noticed. Maybe the NBA just wants to keep games interesting. Who knows.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-07-2014, 12:50 AM
Yeah they were going out of their way to keep the Blazers "in the game." Just inconsistently called touch fouls in favor of Portland, not that I'm complaining because it didn't matter, but it's always a black mark on the league when reffing inconsistencies like this are so blatant.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-07-2014, 12:51 AM
There was one play where Tiago literally stood straight up with his hands in the air and they gave free throws to aldridge, although I think that play may have been in the first half.

Malik Hairston
05-07-2014, 12:51 AM
If you're complaining about refs now, wait until the games are in Portland:lol..

jARS mEsH sEt
05-07-2014, 12:52 AM
There was one sequence in the second half where Parker was called for a ridiculous push off, and then Wes Matthews was called for a similar ridiculous "touch" foul that probably wasn't a foul (even though reggie miller vehemently claimed that it was). I thought the call on Matthews was in response to the "refs you suck" chants.

The refs overall did a pretty poor job this game, although it didn't affect the outcome so it doesn't really matter.

HI-FI
05-07-2014, 12:52 AM
I commented on this downstairs. It sucks when your team is bulldozing the shit out of another team, you can expect the NBA to hook them up for things to be "entertaining". Fortunately it didn't matter with how the Spurs were playing, but there were lots of bs calls. Diaw just started laughing at some of the shit.

The calls in Portland will be terrible. Like others have said, I expect Tiago to get 3 fouls by the first half when in Portland.

Horry Hipcheck
05-07-2014, 12:53 AM
I just know Tiago is going to be in foul trouble early in Game 2. Solid analysis btw. Yes, most of us noticed. Maybe the NBA just wants to keep games interesting. Who knows.

If he continues guard LMA, then yes, he will. Even if Aldridge wasn't skilled at drawing contact, he's still LaMarcus Aldridge and the refs are going to give him those calls a lot.

SpurPadre
05-07-2014, 12:55 AM
If you're complaining about refs now, wait until the games are in Portland:lol..

Imagine the calls Okc will get tomorrow after that overly-corny speech Durant made today when he won MVP.

ElNono
05-07-2014, 12:56 AM

this...

But on top of that, Tony Brothers is easily one of the worst refs in the league... not even saying there's a bias, he's just awful.

Plus after a full series where Monta Ellis traveled every single time he started a drive, Gino gets two called in like 2 mins... just inconsistent as hell.

BanditHiro
05-07-2014, 12:56 AM
It's all about fitting as many commercials as possible.

freetiago
05-07-2014, 01:29 AM
every up and under move Aldridge pulled was called for a foul vs a stationary Tiago in the 3rd
also the horrific foul where he tried to jump into him but didnt he make contact that was called for a coul

Lillard had one play where he drove in the lane and Danny helped and didnt touch him
Lillard flopped hard on the replay and wasnt even touched

Spur|n|Austin
05-07-2014, 01:31 AM

pretty much.

Couple of fannies complaining. Spurs got great 'no' calls. Would explain more but drunk./

Mugen
05-07-2014, 01:43 AM
Tony Brothers is a terrible official tbh. Every game he's reffed, he always stands out due to terrible calls.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-07-2014, 01:45 AM
pretty much.

Couple of fannies complaining. Spurs got great 'no' calls. Would explain more but drunk./

No one's complaining about a lack of calls, moron :lmao

ColinB
05-07-2014, 01:46 AM
Tony Brothers does make terrible calls. He doesn't really favor a team one way or the other during the games he refs, he just doesn't know what the hell he is doing. He may be retarded, I'm not sure.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-07-2014, 01:46 AM
If you want to see complaining, see any of my ref-bashing posts about OKC. That's complaining.

Chinook
05-07-2014, 01:49 AM
I hated hearing those chants. I think fans should only break them out in key situations.

benstanfield
05-07-2014, 01:57 AM
FTA was like 24-10 Blazers at the end of the third, but when it became apparent the game was lost they made the box score look even. This is a frequent occurrence, you can almost never cite end of game box scores to show that OKC gets calls.

superbigtime
05-07-2014, 01:57 AM
this...

But on top of that, Tony Brothers is easily one of the worst refs in the league... not even saying there's a bias, he's just awful.

Plus after a full series where Monta Ellis traveled every single time he started a drive, Gino gets two called in like 2 mins... just inconsistent as hell.

Tony Brothers is simply AWFUL. The new Leon Wood.

cd021
05-07-2014, 02:02 AM
FTA was like 24-10 Blazers at the end of the third, but when it became apparent the game was lost they made the box score look even. This is a frequent occurrence, you can almost never cite end of game box scores to show that OKC gets calls.

I think it was 27 to 17 in Portlands advantage.

testies
05-07-2014, 02:03 AM
How the fuck were those LMA up and unders fouls? So basically you can't be stationary with two arms up, you have to move out of Lamarcus' way and put a red carpet for him all the way to the rim

Also, every Lillard drive was an automatic foul, one where Baynes just jumped up with arms up and Lillard bumped into him they gave him an And1, meanwhile Ginobili drove in like 5 or 6 times with decent contact and no foul. That was clearly to keep Portland in the game, and its a recurring theme with these refs. I'm not saying they are rigging in favor of team X and Y, but clearly they don't want certain teams to fall too much behind

Spur|n|Austin
05-07-2014, 02:08 AM
No one's complaining about a lack of calls, moron :lmao

I was talking to Harlem, who the fuck are you?

Anyways you were asking fellows if they noticed the lack of calls in the 2nd half, and I guess I said stuff a pipe in it ya vag. Problem?

cd021
05-07-2014, 02:12 AM
Keep an eye on this in other series as well. I'm sure the random FT trips will keep popping up when a team is up 10 to 15 points in the second half.

I am almost certain this happened in game 6 against Dallas. The refs kept calling questionable calls against the Spurs and Dallas stay around until the got going late.

It just seemed convenient that Dallas was trying to force a game 7 and the Game 7's tend to be ratings gold. Not that i'm in to conspiracies or anything.

" The 2014 NBA Playoffs have propelled TNT to win the night in primetime across all of cable television 11 times among the coveted Men 18-34 and Men 18-49 demos and seven times among total viewers. The network televised nine of the top 10 most-viewed NBA Playoff games airing on cable through the first round.

Furthermore, the 6.0 million viewers for Clippers-Warriors Game 7 was the most watched first round game for the network since Lakers-Nuggets in 2012. The Saturday tripleheader of Game 7s averaged 5.1 million viewers in total. "-Awful Announcing (http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/turner-sports-sees-huge-ratings-for-nba-playoffs-first-round.html)

jARS mEsH sEt
05-07-2014, 02:13 AM
I was talking to Harlem, who the fuck are you?

You literally referred to other posters in this thread whom you perceived to be "complaining" as "fannies" you incompetent mulehead :rollin You can't even comprehend your own posts :lmao

jARS mEsH sEt
05-07-2014, 02:15 AM
Anyways you were asking fellows if they noticed the lack of calls in the 2nd half, and I guess I said stuff a pipe in it ya vag. Problem?

So now you're backpedaling. I can't tell if you're too drunk to post coherently of if you're literally too stupid to put forth logically consistent, intelligible opinion even while sober.

Spur|n|Austin
05-07-2014, 02:18 AM
not that I'm complaining because it didn't matter

Bitch, we don't care if it mattered or not. Your constant fagginess is enough to make Liberace puke. Continue trollin, and have fun with it. Adios muchacho.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-07-2014, 02:20 AM
Bitch, we don't care if it mattered or not. Your constant fagginess is enough to make Liberace puke. Continue trollin, and have fun with it. Adios muchacho.

It fucking sickens me that I have to share breathing air with a clinical retard. Get the fuck out of Austin.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-07-2014, 02:23 AM
:rollin @ saying "we." This isn't a tag team with you and Harlem you fucking moron. I doubt he agrees with your uncle tom-laden view wherein any form of ref-bashing is viewed as weak regardless of how the game actually went.

You're drunk and:

1) Too fucking stupid to provide an unbiased take on the game
2) Too fucking sensitive to come off as "whiny" (presumably to non-spurs fans) so you always default to complaining about those who mention ref disparities in your team's favor. Put simply, you're a giant fucking vagina.

Spur|n|Austin
05-07-2014, 02:25 AM
It fucking sickens me that I have to share breathing air with a clinical retard. Get the fuck out of Austin.

Born and raised jabonri.

go spurs go.

Go beat your meat or something, you give too many shits.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-07-2014, 02:29 AM
Born and raised jabonri.

go spurs go.

Go beat your meat or something, you give too many shits.

How about you suck me off, faggot :lmao

Mikeanaro
05-07-2014, 02:29 AM
It was lame and I thought the same thing ¨those bastards are trying to keep the Blazers in the game¨.
Thats pure BS and they ate shit anyway but... some calls on Tiago were delusional :dizzy

Mikeanaro
05-07-2014, 02:40 AM
How the fuck were those LMA up and unders fouls? So basically you can't be stationary with two arms up, you have to move out of Lamarcus' way and put a red carpet for him all the way to the rim

Also, every Lillard drive was an automatic foul, one where Baynes just jumped up with arms up and Lillard bumped into him they gave him an And1, meanwhile Ginobili drove in like 5 or 6 times with decent contact and no foul. That was clearly to keep Portland in the game, and its a recurring theme with these refs. I'm not saying they are rigging in favor of team X and Y, but clearly they don't want certain teams to fall too much behind
That´s rigging, we lost 2 games to Dallas thanks to those refs and if Spurs were not playing like angels in game 7 Dallas will be playing right now.

TampaDude
05-07-2014, 06:23 AM
When I saw the travel and the tech on Manu, the first thing I thought of is, "gotta be Tony Brothers."

He sucks!

Glad we blew them out and kept the refs out of the equation in the end.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
05-07-2014, 06:30 AM
Yes, It was obvious. And LA move where he steps back like he is going to shot a jumper than undercuts for a floater was obvious. Even though LA was the one initiating the contact, the refs kept on calling fouls on Diaw and Splitter. It was painfully obvious they wanted to slow down the game and keep Portland in it.

But who cares, the Spurs are experienced and kept their composure.

SupremeGuy
05-07-2014, 06:32 AM
The ones that really stuck out in my mind were when Tiago was just fucking standing there and LA tried an up and under move, created contact on Splitter who isn't even moving, and they called a foul on Splitter. lol Same thing happened to Boris. That was straight up bullshit.

will_spurs
05-07-2014, 06:41 AM
I think there was a stretch when three straight fouls were called on Diaw for daring to breathe the same air as LMA. On the third one Diaw looked in the bench direction (probably to Pop), shrugging his shoulders. LMA simply had to start posting up for a foul and 2 FTs. The refs were really trying hard to keep Portland in the game. Obviously a 15-point lead would have been better than a 30-point lead for the TV ratings mid-way through the 3rd...

Again the main issue here is the inconsistent way in which fouls are called. It didn't affect the game this time, but it's really weird to see the refs swallowing their whistle on a strong foul, then calling a vague touch foul a few seconds later.

Captivus
05-07-2014, 06:43 AM
Im still waiting for the Spurs FO to say something about the refs.
They never do..hence, they like being fucked in the ass...I mean, theres no other explanation.
Cuban would be all over the refs.

exstatic
05-07-2014, 07:01 AM
Not usually one to complain about refereeing but it was pretty noticeable. Even some of the reactions from the Spurs players showed some of their frustration, including Duncan who was reacting from the bench after Portland took 12 free throws from the final 5:50 of the 3rd.

The fans began chanting "Refs you suck" during that stretch.

Portland trailed by 26 at halftime. By the end of the 3rd quarter Portland had 27 FTA. The Blazershad 16 FTA in the 3rd quarter. The Referees were, seemingly, trying to keep the game relatively close.

That is something i've noticed throughout the post season, when a team is pulling away the trailing team seems to be much more likely to get to the free throw line.

After the Spurs maintained the lead through the end of the 3rd quarter, The game was more evenly officiated.

The Spurs had 7 FTs attempted in the 3rd quarter and 8 in the 4th quarter, to the Blazers 4 free throws attempted.

Portland, who trailed the entire second half, had only 11 attempts in the 1st half but 20 in the second half.

They finished with 31 attempts (connecting on 26 of them , 84%) Aldridge, who was in a particularly bad slump took 7 of his 9 foul shots in the 3rd quarter, scoring 6 points.

Look for a lot more of that in game 2. The playoffs are being managed. Manufactured drama.

Everyone is having hurdles thrown in their path except one team.

wut
05-07-2014, 07:32 AM
Look for a lot more of that in game 2. The playoffs are being managed. Manufactured drama.

Everyone is having hurdles thrown in their path except one team.

this. Refs are artificially creating competition where it doesn't exist in many cases. It must be nice to be Miami, who not only already had an easy road to the finals, but the red carpet thanks to the refs.

It's annoying to see calls on guys like Splitter who almost half the time they get called are doing nothing more than defending the way they were taught was fundamental basketball. I don't understand how the league expects to survive long-term if they continue at this rate. International players will be more likely to avoid the NBA, just due to it seeming like a sideshow/entertainment over what is their favorite sport, a money grab over pure sport.

As for the game last night, Spurs out played the refs. Refs would make up a bad call and Blazers wouldn't take advantage and then Spurs would make a huge shot.

I expect this series to be EXTREMELY tough, only due to the refs. Spurs need to make sure they take care of business in San Antonio or this could be another 7 game series.

spurspokesman
05-07-2014, 07:47 AM
Dodgy officiating at times

UZER
05-07-2014, 08:13 AM
Third quarter officiating was blatantly obvious. The Spurs were doing nothing different defensively they didn't do in the first half.

Since the first round, a lot of calls have kept games close...ridiculous three point plays, conveniently timed 4 point plays (the thunder getting them in the final minute of back to back games), and wtf travel calls that are never called that stop momentum for one team.

The spurs should've blow out three mavs in game four and six, but every time they started separating themselves, they kept having their momentum interrupted.

foodie2
05-07-2014, 08:17 AM
Even the Blazers fans on a fan site I was reading were saying that the Blazers were getting a lot of benefit from fouls.

scramby eggs
05-07-2014, 08:35 AM
every up and under move Aldridge pulled was called for a foul vs a stationary Tiago in the 3rd
also the horrific foul where he tried to jump into him but didnt he make contact that was called for a coul

Lillard had one play where he drove in the lane and Danny helped and didnt touch him
Lillard flopped hard on the replay and wasnt even touched

That is the one thing that stood out to me. If LMA is going to get the calls everytime he does an up and under move we are in for a long series

Dex
05-07-2014, 10:02 AM
That is the one thing that stood out to me. If LMA is going to get the calls everytime he does an up and under move we are in for a long series

What stood out to me was the inconsistency.

Tiago played virtually the exact same defense on LMA in the first and second half. In the first half, it was apparently great defense. In the second half, it was apparently a foul every time.

If the refs are gonna call it tight, fine. But be consistent and don't just start changing your calls on a fucking whim.

Mugen
05-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Yeah, fouls will undoubtedly be an issue in Game 2.

Watch Games 4 and 6 in the POR/HOU series for a sample of the ridiculous calls that the Blazers will get at home tbh...

EVAY
05-07-2014, 10:12 AM
BAD CALLS MATTER EVEN IF WE WIN!!!

It is nonsensical to me to say that a raft of bad calls didn't matter because we won! They shouldn't be happening, and the reputations of players from one game and/or series to another colors the calls those players get in later games/series.

I agree totally with those who pointed out that the same thing happened in game 6 against Dallas. It happens all the time in the rs was well. Refs manage games. Period!! But they shouldn't do it in the playoffs. Period.

I have said in other threads that the number of phantom fouls called for LMA was particularly distressing becuase it is a sign of things to come.

boutons_deux
05-07-2014, 10:15 AM
Home Cooking, it wasn't

palangi
05-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Former ref Tim Donaghy was on a radio show here in Utah. He had some very interesting things to say none the less. But what happened last night, "trying to keep the blazers close", is exactly what he talked about. How the NBA tells refs to do this. Not to fix the game, but how to draw a series out or make it closer.

I encourage you to listen to it. very interesting. And points out things a lot of fans thing about the NBA. Star treatment, etc...

http://www.1320kfan.com/common/page.php?pt=Former+NBA+Referee+Tim+Donaghy+with+Mo nty+In+The+Morning&id=6064&is_corp=0

Biernutz
05-07-2014, 10:46 AM
The Spurs were making it a blow out at the half and the fans on TV would start channel surfing. The refs slowed down
the game to give the Blazers a chance to get back into the game but they were shooting so bad that the refs just gave up
at the end of the third and let the game go. We put in our bench early in the fourth and just cruised till the end. The pattern
I have seen is the refs seem to try and keep the game competitive with fouls because of the TV ratings. Take away some mo and let the
other team back in.......How many times have you seen this?

FromWayDowntown
05-07-2014, 10:51 AM
I don't know that Donaghy is particularly credible on anything -- whatever he knew when he was officiating games is now significantly dated and at that, he's a proven liar.

With that said, I don't think there's much doubt that the whistles went to Portland in the 3rd (and were going to go to Portland in that quarter, given the circumstances) to try to create some reason for people to leave their TVs on and stay with the game. It happens frequently; I'm not sure it was ever as egregious (and as effective) as it was in Game 2 of last year's West Finals, where the Spurs got up by nearly 20, only to see Scott Foster put 3 fouls on Tim Duncan (getting him to 4 PF with 7:51 left in the 3rd) in the span of 30 seconds of the early 3rd (literally). Memphis somehow erased a big deficit -- likely because it outshot the Spurs 20-4 in second half FTA, while shooting only slightly better from the floor on basically the same number of FGA. It's the way of the league and has long been that way, particularly when games are televised nationally. It sucks, but it's pretty much completely predictable.

The big part of Game 1 from an officiating standpoint was winning a home game with that crew. In these playoffs where road teams have basically been .500 (26-28 after last night; last season through two rounds, home teams won more than 62% of all games and as recently as 2011, the home teams through 2 rounds won more than 70% of all games) in the playoffs, there is no bigger homer crew than last night's. Brothers has called 6 games in these playoffs and home teams are 6-0; Washington has called 7 games and home teams are 6-1 (with the one road win being Miami's Game 4 win in Charlotte); even Tony Brown has called 3 games and home teams are 3-0 with him. If you were going to draw that crew in these playoffs, it was best to get them at home and to take advantage of it, which the Spurs did, despite the efforts to manufacture some tension.

Mugen
05-07-2014, 10:52 AM
^Great stuff, FWD.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2014, 11:49 AM

I'm saying there's a bias. He and Kennedy are turrible when the Spurs are on the court.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2014, 11:52 AM
The refs will also look at the number of free throw attempts by each team in the first half and blow whistles in the second half to "even it out". The Spurs took a lot of free throws in the first half of one of the games against the Mavs due to all the intentional fouling of Splitter under the basket, and then the zebras felt the need to reward Dallas for touch fouls in the second half.

xmas1997
05-07-2014, 11:58 AM
I thought Tiago was more fairly officiated in the first half when he was allowed to bang on LA and play defense.
In the second half LA received "star" treatment IMHO because Green and Diaw along with Tiago all got called for too many fouls.

DMC
05-07-2014, 12:05 PM
I didn't notice it in anyone's favor. I noticed a lot of offensive fouls were called that are normally not called, like Matthews and Parker on the transition push offs, a couple on some illegal screens that I couldn't make out even on replay. I don't know what happened to be honest. If anything, I could see it allowing for more advertising time. It did get strange for about 5 minutes in the 3rd.

I think the NBA refs have too much control over the flow of the game. It's the only sport I am aware of, other than boxing, where the ref can interfere with the contest so much.

xmas1997
05-07-2014, 12:08 PM
I didn't notice it in anyone's favor. I noticed a lot of offensive fouls were called that are normally not called, like Matthews and Parker on the transition push offs, a couple on some illegal screens that I couldn't make out even on replay. I don't know what happened to be honest. If anything, I could see it allowing for more advertising time. It did get strange for about 5 minutes in the 3rd.

I think the NBA refs have too much control over the flow of the game. It's the only sport I am aware of, other than boxing, where the ref can interfere with the contest so much.

I did, I noticed that they let Tiago play defense against LA in the first half, but didn't in the second even though Tiago did nothing differently.

dg7md
05-07-2014, 12:11 PM
We were up by like 15-20 most of the way, no conspiracy to keep "them in the game", because they were always out of it with their poor shooting and terrible defense. No need to complain about the refs tbh.

DMC
05-07-2014, 12:12 PM
I did, I noticed that they let Tiago play defense against LA in the first half, but didn't in the second even though Tiago did nothing differently.

But Tiago didn't foul out. Wes did. Aldridge had 5 fouls. If you watch the game without team bias, you'll see the refs tightened down big time after a couple hard fouls in transition, probably to keep guys from trying to injure each other. Also, when coaches call refs over to point something out, the ref likely listens and focuses on that until teams make adjustments.

sexinthatsx
05-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Refs were baiting for a Spurs meltdown with all these crappy fouls but all they got was a technical foul from Ginobili from that travelling play lol

Horse
05-07-2014, 12:18 PM
If he continues guard LMA, then yes, he will. Even if Aldridge wasn't skilled at drawing contact, he's still LaMarcus Aldridge and the refs are going to give him those calls a lot.

He's really not skilled at drawing contact he either shoots over the defender or bulldozes into them and half the time gets the call.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-07-2014, 12:40 PM

I mean, net biased reffing in favor of one team is never overt because there are bad calls both ways. My eyeball test suggested that the Blazers benefited from a +4 bullshit FTA advantage compared to the spurs. There were more than 2 bad calls (2 FTA per call) in favor of the blazers, but for every bad call > 2 in favor of the blazers, there was a bad call in favor of the spurs which cancels out, hence a net rating of +4 FTA.

However, I stopped paying close attention after half time so that figure is probably not entirely accurate.

The thing is when two teams are so closely matched, a +4 bullshit FTA either way often exceeds the margin of victory which is disturbing, to say the least.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-07-2014, 12:43 PM
The final free throw tally was 31 FTA (blazers) vs 25 FTA (spurs).

A perfectly reffed game would've been 20 FTA (blazers) vs 18 FTA (spurs) (this is a rough estimate). A game in which the bullshit fouls exactly evened out would've been 27 FTA (blazers) vs 25 FTA (spurs).

Jimcs50
05-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Imagine the calls Okc will get tomorrow after that overly-corny speech Durant made today when he won MVP.

Durrant's speech was awesome

urunobili
05-07-2014, 01:12 PM
what was Ginobili's tech about?

05-07-2014, 02:10 PM

I think the NBA refs have too much control over the flow of the game. It's the only sport I am aware of, other than boxing, where the ref can interfere with the contest so much.the refs can control NFL/mlb games too, but coaches can challenge their bs.

travis2
05-07-2014, 02:44 PM
what was Ginobili's tech about?

He got called for traveling and slammed the ball down in frustration. It bounced back hard and he missed catching it on the way up. As a result it went over his head and bounced downcourt a few times.

Had he actually caught the ball on the way up, I doubt the tech would have been called.

Horry Hipcheck
05-07-2014, 03:23 PM
He's really not skilled at drawing contact he either shoots over the defender or bulldozes into them and half the time gets the call.

He got away with murder against Houston and I wouldn't be totally surprised if Game 1 is an anomaly from the refs when it comes to him.

Horse
05-07-2014, 06:18 PM
He got away with murder against Houston and I wouldn't be totally surprised if Game 1 is an anomaly from the refs when it comes to him.

We can count on being screwed in this regard so if we get up or they have a shooting slump we can not let up at all.

exstatic
05-07-2014, 06:56 PM
It's pretty clear that the NBA wants every series, with the exception of any of Miami's, to go to 2-2. They've even put their beloved Reflahoma in an 0-1 hole, TWICE.

Clipper Nation
05-07-2014, 07:00 PM
It's pretty clear that the NBA wants every series, with the exception of any of Miami's, to go to 2-2. They've even put their beloved Reflahoma in an 0-1 hole, TWICE.
MethKC wasn't in an 0-1 hole last series, and Miami set an NBA record for least team FTA in a seven-game series last June :lol

JR3
05-07-2014, 07:24 PM
I felt like there was a small stretch there where the refs tried to help the blazers out.... i'm one to not go there too... but this was apparent.

exstatic
05-07-2014, 07:35 PM
MethKC wasn't in an 0-1 hole last series, and Miami set an NBA record for least team FTA in a seven-game series last June :lol

My bad. They were in a 1-2 hole in the first round.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-07-2014, 07:38 PM
The last time Miami received any significant ref help was back in 2011 against Boston in the ECSF.

cd021
05-08-2014, 12:21 AM
Miami actually doesn't get as much of an advantage on foul calls as people might think, At least against the Spurs they don't. Westbrook could drop kick someone and they'd probably just give him a tech. OKC seems to get 80% if the 50/50 calls on any given night.

The Clippers haven't necessarily been favored by the refs this post season. Griffin fouled out in less than 20 minutes in game 1 against GSW.

In game 2 against OKC, Paul and Jordan each picked up 5 fouls in 31 and 29 minutes. Griffin had 4 in 35 minutes and the team had 26.

cd021
05-08-2014, 12:27 AM

If you can watch the final 5:50 of the 3rd quarter. There was, i think, 5 straight possessions were Portland got to the line.

That Parker call was just blatant. They were trying to keep the game close. Refs never give defensive players the benefit of the doubt in transition when they are moving while trying to draw a charge. They waived off a 3pt play because Parker bumped into Mathews, but L.A. jumped into Splitter (who had his arms raised and still didn't make any contact) and got FTs.

hommeaetage
05-08-2014, 12:29 AM
Yeah, there were some pretty BS fouls that LMA was getting even with perfect defense. I can't imagine the amount of calls they'll be getting in portland

One thing that I'm still trying to figure out is how does every time Westbrook goes for a jumper, he leans on the defender and always gets the call. Maybe I'm missing something here; what exactly the defender is supposed to do in this situation?

FuzzyLumpkins
05-08-2014, 02:01 AM
I mean, net biased reffing in favor of one team is never overt because there are bad calls both ways. My eyeball test suggested that the Blazers benefited from a +4 bullshit FTA advantage compared to the spurs. There were more than 2 bad calls (2 FTA per call) in favor of the blazers, but for every bad call > 2 in favor of the blazers, there was a bad call in favor of the spurs which cancels out, hence a net rating of +4 FTA.

However, I stopped paying close attention after half time so that figure is probably not entirely accurate.

The thing is when two teams are so closely matched, a +4 bullshit FTA either way often exceeds the margin of victory which is disturbing, to say the least.

I agree with everything you say up until the closely matched part.

If they are going to call ticky tack shit like that then it favors the Spurs really because you have to be able to body up on and be physical with Parker if you want to contain him. Lillard and Aldridge are jump shooters so it doesn't help them nearly as much and if they start calling Aldridge for the forearms he throws to get separation then he is fucked.

UZER
05-08-2014, 08:06 AM
If you can watch the final 5:50 of the 3rd quarter. There was, i think, 5 straight possessions were Portland got to the line.

That Parker call was just blatant. They were trying to keep the game close. Refs never give defensive players the benefit of the doubt in transition when they are moving while trying to draw a charge. They waived off a 3pt play because Parker bumped into Mathews, but L.A. jumped into Splitter (who had his arms raised and still didn't make any contact) and got FTs.

No no no...you don't get it. He is an unbiased basketball connoisseur that has the ultimate opinion on nba officiating. You're too much of a homer to understand that.

Fireball
05-08-2014, 08:14 AM
I can sense two early foul calls on Tiago coming either tonight or in the first game on the road ... book it!

jARS mEsH sEt
05-08-2014, 11:08 AM
I agree with everything you say up until the closely matched part.

If they are going to call ticky tack shit like that then it favors the Spurs really because you have to be able to body up on and be physical with Parker if you want to contain him. Lillard and Aldridge are jump shooters so it doesn't help them nearly as much and if they start calling Aldridge for the forearms he throws to get separation then he is fucked.

Well I'm not sure about that. Lillard gets into the lane pretty easily. I thought he missed a couple of chip shots against us in game 1 despite getting to the rim, although Duncan and/or Splitter's presence probably has a lot to do with that. Aldridge's bread and butter is his jump shot, sure, but Lillard is more of a dynamic player.

cd021
05-08-2014, 01:25 PM
No no no...you don't get it. He is an unbiased basketball connoisseur that has the ultimate opinion on nba officiating. You're too much of a homer to understand that.

just because i like the Spurs doesn't mean i'm biased against officials. I know what it a legit foul and whats a sketchy foul. at least 3 of those 5 fouls shouldn't have been called in a playoff game. They were consistently blowing the whistle when their was minimal contact and sending Portland to the line.

I noticed similar stretches of officiating in other series that favored a team that was down by 10+ points and were on the verge of getting blown out.

UZER
05-08-2014, 01:57 PM
just because i like the Spurs doesn't mean i'm biased against officials. I know what it a legit foul and whats a sketchy foul. at least 3 of those 5 fouls shouldn't have been called in a playoff game. They were consistently blowing the whistle when their was minimal contact and sending Portland to the line.

I noticed similar stretches of officiating in other series that favored a team that was down by 10+ points and were on the verge of getting blown out.

Chill homie, I was being sarcastic.

DMC thinks his shit don't ever stink.

wut
05-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Not to put a wrench in this theory, but sometimes a lack of calls is far better than a ton of calls..

FuzzyLumpkins
05-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Well I'm not sure about that. Lillard gets into the lane pretty easily. I thought he missed a couple of chip shots against us in game 1 despite getting to the rim, although Duncan and/or Splitter's presence probably has a lot to do with that. Aldridge's bread and butter is his jump shot, sure, but Lillard is more of a dynamic player.

Lillard is not a good finisher as evidenced by his shot chart.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad196/chazley1990/Shotchart_1399280458154_zpsb3f54fee.png

jARS mEsH sEt
05-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Lillard is not a good finisher as evidenced by his shot chart.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad196/chazley1990/Shotchart_1399280458154_zpsb3f54fee.png

Oh interesting. Yeah the stats pretty much back up what you say. I've been hanging around/trolling the blazers forum over at sportstwo.com too much. :lmao

Most blazerfans were painting this picture of Lillard being some sort of paint fiend. They strongly implied that the shots he missed last night were aberrations.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Oh interesting. Yeah the stats pretty much back up what you say. I've been hanging around/trolling the blazers forum over at sportstwo.com too much. :lmao

Most blazerfans were painting this picture of Lillard being some sort of paint fiend. They strongly implied that the shots he missed last night were aberrations.

That shot chart is perfect for trolling then.

Stay thirsty my friend.

tlongII
05-08-2014, 05:42 PM
The Blazers were called for 25 personal fouls. The Spurs were called for 21 personal fouls. So I agree, the officiating definitely favored the Spurs.

xmas1997
05-08-2014, 05:43 PM
But Tiago didn't foul out. Wes did. Aldridge had 5 fouls. If you watch the game without team bias, you'll see the refs tightened down big time after a couple hard fouls in transition, probably to keep guys from trying to injure each other. Also, when coaches call refs over to point something out, the ref likely listens and focuses on that until teams make adjustments.

I did see this and understand your point.
But IMHO Tiago actually didn't bang on Aldredge as hard in the second half as he did in the first half and still picked up tickytac fouls anyway even though he was fronting the same way.

cd021
05-08-2014, 10:36 PM
Chill homie, I was being sarcastic.

DMC thinks his shit don't ever stink.

I initially thought you were. Its kind of hard to tell sometimes, online.

cd021
05-08-2014, 10:37 PM
Officiating has been much better than game 1 so far through 3 quarters..