PDA

View Full Version : Blazers: Trail Blazers in search of their 'freedom' after Game 1 lockdown by Spurs

Chris
05-07-2014, 03:26 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2014/05/trail_blazers_in_search_of_their_freedom_after_gam .html

Jason Quick | [email protected] By Jason Quick | [email protected]
Follow on Twitter
on May 07, 2014 at 9:07 AM, updated May 07, 2014 at 11:21 AM

SAN ANTONIO -- The Trail Blazers left their Game 1 disaster on Tuesday marveling at San Antonio’s aggressive mentality, and nowhere was that more apparent than on the defensive end.

“The way they guarded me … it was way different than what I faced in the first six games against Houston,’’ Blazers small forward Nicolas Batum said. “I had no freedom. I couldn’t do anything.’’

Batum, who started 1-for-9 and finished 3-for-12, wasn’t alone. The Blazers as a team made just 37.8 percent of their shots, which included an 0-for-8 effort from three-point range through the first three quarters.

“They turned it up,’’ Wesley Matthews said. “They turned their intensity up. I think we were rushing and moving too fast. I don’t think we let our plays develop. We have to fine tune. It’s a long series.’’

As the Blazers’ wings, Batum and Matthews are a vital components of Portland’s flow offense, which spreads the court for Damian Lillard to penetrate while also creating space for LaMarcus Aldridge to operate.

But Batum and Matthews were rendered moot in Game 1, combining to make 5-of-18 shots for 15 points. The individual effort of noted defender Kawhi Leonard and the early job by Danny Green contributed to the off night, but more than anything, the Blazers talked of the Spurs team defense.

“It wasn’t one guy on me, it was everybody,’’ Batum said. “They play great team defense. Everytime I got a step, a big guy would step up on me. You can ask Mo (Williams) and Dame (Lillard): We had no freedom.’’

It’s that freedom of space that makes the Blazers’ flow offense click. Usually, the Blazers are full of motion and multiple passes, but on Tuesday, they appeared unsure and congested.

“We can’t let them dictate the game like that,’’ Batum said.

Added Matthews: “They were aggressive on the pick-and-rolls – we thought they would be – but we played too fast and into their hands.

But it’s hard when you don’t get stops,’’ Matthews said, referring to the Spurs’ 60 percent shooting in the first half. “You are playing against a halfcourt defense and you don’t win 60 plus games without being a good defensive team.’’

So it was on to Wednesday’s practice, where the Blazers will try to change their approach, and try to regain their offensive freedom.

“We all know we can get better,’’ Matthews said.

--Jason Quick | @jwquick

Floyd Pacquiao
05-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Spurs pulled the blazers black and red panties down and took their innocence...

hater
05-07-2014, 04:33 PM
Pop basically turned Batum into round 1 Bellinelli. :lol freedom

DMC
05-07-2014, 04:36 PM
The Suns won 60+ games and couldn't defend for shit.