PDA

View Full Version : Amusing Grantland Piece on Android Tony and Aaron Bangs! (Yes, Bangs)

BillMc
05-08-2014, 07:33 AM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-overnight-spurs-tony-parker/

It plays up the ole "emotionless Spurs" thing, but I still thought it pretty funny.

Some of the secondary writers at Grantland are a lot funnier than Simmons himself these days.

will_spurs
05-08-2014, 08:08 AM
Indeed I liked the writing style, if anything.

"pair of ancient Heat nemeses — soaked in the mystical embalming fluids of experience" :lol

lil'mo
05-08-2014, 08:45 AM
Dumb article. Queer writing style.

TrueSpursFan
05-08-2014, 08:54 AM
Popovich’s ability to take unheralded college players, international dudes you never heard of, guys with no knee ligaments, and marginal veterans, plug them into his system, and have them put up numbers is, at this point, completely unfair and a little bit spooky. Just in the last few years: Matt Bonner, DeJuan Blair, Kawhi Leonard, Danny Green, Patty Mills. And now Baynes. I fully expect to see Pop get meaningful playoff minutes out of a cardboard cutout of Batman and some random household items next year.:lmao

wildchild
05-08-2014, 09:31 AM
Popovich’s ability to take unheralded college players, international dudes you never heard of, guys with no knee ligaments, and marginal veterans

Ginobili, Splitter, Oberto, Rasho, all those guys had solid and successful careers in Europe before the NBA. If a writer doesn't know nothing about the international basketball, it doesn't mean "dudes you never heard" that is true.

Beaverfuzz
05-08-2014, 10:49 AM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-overnight-spurs-tony-parker/

It plays up the ole "emotionless Spurs" thing, but I still thought it pretty funny.

Some of the secondary writers at Grantland are a lot funnier than Simmons himself these days.

Simmons isn't funny, tbh.

will_spurs
05-08-2014, 12:17 PM
Ginobili, Splitter, Oberto, Rasho, all those guys had solid and successful careers in Europe before the NBA. If a writer doesn't know nothing about the international basketball, it doesn't mean "dudes you never heard" that is true.

That's probably why Manu fell to the 2nd round, Tiago was drafted last in the 1st round, and Oberto wasn't even drafted... because they were so famous.

wildchild
05-09-2014, 12:23 AM
That's probably why Manu fell to the 2nd round, Tiago was drafted last in the 1st round, and Oberto wasn't even drafted... because they were so famous.

Well, one talks of drafts, rightly or wrongly, you don't need to be an international player "you never heard"...
#30 Gilbert Arenas #35 Carlos Boozer #43 Michael Reed #40 Monta Ellis #47 Paul Millsap

However, like this writer I don't know much about FIBA basketball but I remember Bruno said those guys played and won many championships in Europe before.
I'm just saying the reporters/writers/analysts aren't fans like us, they should be knowledgeable about other leagues and their stars like Manu was in Italy or Tiago, Oberto were in Spain.

will_spurs
05-09-2014, 05:11 AM
However, like this writer I don't know much about FIBA basketball but I remember Bruno said those guys played and won many championships in Europe before.
I'm just saying the reporters/writers/analysts aren't fans like us, they should be knowledgeable about other leagues and their stars like Manu was in Italy or Tiago, Oberto were in Spain.

The guy is talking from the point of view of the average NBA fan, who as far as draft prospects are concerned only knows whoever stuffed the box score in the NCAA tournament. Just check the dig TNT had on Baynes ("who is Baynes?" with a picture and an arrow pointing to it with the subtitle "This guy") and you'll see what the writer meant.