PDA

View Full Version : Suns: Hubie Brown

Xylus
05-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Sucks that they have the greatest TV analyst of all time--OF ALL TIME--calling this shitty eastern conference game.

Ricky Davis
05-08-2014, 09:22 PM
I never thought he was that great. Just points out the obvious every game and he's old and white so it makes him look better.

"Now now come on, you can't have a point guard guarding Lebron in the post. You have to put somebody bigger on him to challenge the shot!"

Red Hawk #21
05-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Love Hubie tbh

Malik Hairston
05-08-2014, 10:18 PM
I never thought he was that great. Just points out the obvious every game and he's old and white so it makes him look better.

"Now now come on, you can't have a point guard guarding Lebron in the post. You have to put somebody bigger on him to challenge the shot!"

:lol yep..he's good, by default, though, in comparison to Reggie, Webber, Barry, etc.,

CitizenDwayne
05-08-2014, 10:32 PM
Pointing out the obvious is just fine, when compared to other analysts that are often just blatantly wrong, as acknowledged above...

At least the nigga knows the game.

CitizenDwayne
05-08-2014, 10:33 PM
:lol yep..he's good, by default, though, in comparison to Reggie, Webber, Barry, etc.,

Barry may be the worst I've ever heard, when factoring in basketball knowledge and personality.

mercos
05-08-2014, 11:41 PM
Would have loved to have Hubie or Doug Collins tonight. Barry was meh.

Ricky Davis
05-08-2014, 11:44 PM

Yeah, true.

This just reminds me how shitty color commentators are overall. They're either former greats who suck at the job in general, guys who try to be funny and bring weird ass schticks to the table (Mark Jackson, Bill Walton, Bill Raftery, etc), or obnoxious homers for the local broadcasts.

baseline bum
05-08-2014, 11:44 PM
Greg Anthony is my favorite color guy. It's nice to have an intelligent human being breaking the game down. I like Hubie too, but I thought he was gonna cry when Detroit lost the Finals in 05. I have never heard a national announcer, other than Heinsohn in the 80s, with that kind of hard-on for a team ever.

baseline bum
05-08-2014, 11:49 PM
Yeah, true.

This just reminds how shitty color commentators are overall. They're either former greats who suck at the job in general, guys who try to be funny and bring weird ass schticks to the table (Mark Jackson, Bill Walton, Bill Raftery, etc), or obnoxious homers for the local broadcasts.

Walton was hilarious when he did Clipper games. I wish I would have taped some of those, because he shit all over Olowokandi every single game. He had my favorite piece of analysis in the 1999 Finals, when Vescey asked him on the CNBC postgame show about what New York did wrong and his answer was "Charlie Ward sucks"

Ricky Davis
05-08-2014, 11:56 PM
:lmao Walton's "analysis" is awful but he's by far the funniest.

tbh that time he went on forever comparing Boris Diaw to Beethoven was gold

elmanutres
05-08-2014, 11:57 PM
hes alright, i just wished he had a better go to line then "now you have to give x credit..."

Clipper Nation
05-09-2014, 12:06 AM
Walton was hilarious when he did Clipper games. I wish I would have taped some of those, because he shit all over Olowokandi every single game. He had my favorite piece of analysis in the 1999 Finals, when Vescey asked him on the CNBC postgame show about what New York did wrong and his answer was "Charlie Ward sucks"
Ralph and Walton were the perfect pair, such a downgrade to go from Walton to that homer faggot Mike Smith....

Chinook
05-09-2014, 12:07 AM
Greg Anthony is my favorite color guy. It's nice to have an intelligent human being breaking the game down. I like Hubie too, but I thought he was gonna cry when Detroit lost the Finals in 05. I have never heard a national announcer, other than Heinsohn in the 80s, with that kind of hard-on for a team ever.

I hate Greg Anthony even more than Miller. I don't think he brings intelligent takes at all.

DMC
05-09-2014, 12:16 AM
Barry may be the worst I've ever heard, when factoring in basketball knowledge and personality.

Barry has that "I'm warning you" whiny ass George Costanza voice and he fucking filibusters and repeats himself. I prefer an analyst point out things that aren't obvious, JVG is one of the best of all time IMO, and Hubie is good too, but Barry is almost as bad as Reggie and Reggie fucking sucks. Nothing worse than a homer analyst who's not even at his home team's game.

DMC
05-09-2014, 12:17 AM
hes alright, i just wished he had a better go to line then "now you have to give x credit..."

"I really like this timeout... "

ElNono
05-09-2014, 12:42 AM
Walton was one of my favorites... sometimes I thought he was doing some games tripping on acid... even when some scrub would make a play, he would go all out "is this the best up and coming scrub in like, ever?"

Hubbie cracks me up... "Now, you're Marc Gasol, you have a complete game, they give you a 10 footer, and you're going to take that and make it"

HI-FI
05-09-2014, 12:54 AM
I like Hubie a lot. Classic. He's a got a great memory for his age, fuck I'm like a third his age and I don't remember shit that well. Granted, maybe I smoke too much.

Walton is the most missed. Only time I couldn't stand him was when he was sucking off Kobe, but otherwise Walton is a trip.

JVG is the best working right now. Hopefully the NBA can line Mark Jackson up with a job, I don't want him screwing up the JVG/Breen combo.

DMC
05-09-2014, 01:09 AM
I like Hubie a lot. Classic. He's a got a great memory for his age, fuck I'm like a third his age and I don't remember shit that well. Granted, maybe I smoke too much.

Walton is the most missed. Only time I couldn't stand him was when he was sucking off Kobe, but otherwise Walton is a trip.

JVG is the best working right now. Hopefully the NBA can line Mark Jackson up with a job, I don't want him screwing up the JVG/Breen combo.

Was it Boris Diaw that Walton celebrated? lol

HI-FI
05-09-2014, 01:12 AM
Was it Boris Diaw that Walton celebrated? lol
yes. best part is you can hear the announcer, right before Walton goes on his rant, start to laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KkrccHEAqg

DMC
05-09-2014, 01:20 AM
yes. best part is you can hear the announcer, right before Walton goes on his rant, start to laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KkrccHEAqg

Walton would be a fucking trip at a party, especially back in the day.

ElNono
05-09-2014, 01:34 AM
I've got Walton's autograph during a Spurs-Nets game he was doing for ESPN many years ago... was painful to watch him walk back then...

KaiRMD1
05-09-2014, 01:41 AM
Hubie is decent, not unbearable

JMarkJohns
05-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Walton away from a UCLA game is everything anyone would ever want in a color analyst. The verbal meanderings, word visuals, and catch phrases are the stuff of legend.

Perfect pair would be he and Harlan.

Mugen
05-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Hey JMarks, do you like apples?

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/27/74/75/6279006/3/960x540.jpg

Xylus
05-09-2014, 12:39 PM
Wrong thread, buddy

baseline bum
05-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Walton away from a UCLA game is everything anyone would ever want in a color analyst. The verbal meanderings, word visuals, and catch phrases are the stuff of legend.

Perfect pair would be he and Harlan.

Though I'm still pissed at him for saying Kobe made the Twin Towers look like the Twin Sisters in Game 1 of the 01 WCF.

DPG21920
05-09-2014, 01:29 PM
JVG & Kerr are the best going. True quality IMO. Then next group is in the "ok to pretty good stage" and that's Webber & Hubie for nostalgic reasons. Everyone else is really, really bad at this job. Almost as bad as JA Adande at in game interviews :lmao

Killakobe81
05-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Ralph and Walton were the perfect pair, such a downgrade to go from Walton to that homer faggot Mike Smith....

They were very good. Lawler's law plus throw it down big man throw it down!!!!

Oh and as the great John Wooden once said ...

Oh and I love Hubie. Sure the better posters on here now the obvious points he makes, but as youngster learning the game when i first heard Hubie I thought he was great. And it comes from a sincere place he loves the game and has little ego.

I was surprised Anthony has been better than I thought. Like him better in the studio though. Anthony IIRC was a leader in the young black republican movement and had some thoughts towards law school at one point. Bright guy.

Killakobe81
05-09-2014, 02:24 PM
JVG & Kerr are the best going. True quality IMO. Then next group is in the "ok to pretty good stage" and that's Webber & Hubie for nostalgic reasons. Everyone else is really, really bad at this job. Almost as bad as JA Adande at in game interviews :lmao

i enjoy JVG but some of his opinions that he throws out his new rule wannabe Bill Maher shit is annoying.
He is funny but when he tries to hard it comes out corny.
He does know the game well and I enjoyed when it was Breen, JVH and HDMD especially when he shat on Jackson's defense

JMarkJohns
05-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Hey JMarks, do you like apples?

Geez. Let it go. It's just a silly award!

Some people...

Xylus
05-09-2014, 03:40 PM
Mugen gettin' his salt on

Mugen
05-09-2014, 03:41 PM
well, how do ya like dem apples.