PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Splitter's defense

FkLA
05-09-2014, 03:11 AM
What a fucking monster tbh.

Where would you rank it? I'd say his one-on-one defense is Top 3 for a bigman, and Top 10 overall. He'd easily be Top 5 overall if he provided a better shot-blocking presence. Such a smart defensive player too.

TDMVPDPOY
05-09-2014, 03:22 AM
What a fucking monster tbh.

Where would you rank it? I'd say his one-on-one defense is Top 3 for a bigman, and Top 10 overall. He'd easily be Top 5 overall if he provided a better shot-blocking presence. Such a smart defensive player too.

putting ur hands up, already ur better then half the clowns who dont play defense...

FkLA
05-09-2014, 03:23 AM
putting ur hands up, already ur better then half the clowns who dont play defense...

Couldnt have said it better myself.

tenbeersbold
05-09-2014, 04:23 AM
Pekovic is better though

Seeing Pek stutter stepping and containing Parker is one of the most entertaining things about twolves/spurs games

TDMVPDPOY
05-09-2014, 04:38 AM
what are duncan/splitters defensive numbers say compared to duncan/rasho from 05-07?

Robz4000
05-09-2014, 04:47 AM
Pekovic is better though

Seeing Pek stutter stepping and containing Parker is one of the most entertaining things about twolves/spurs games

Pekovic is a terrible defender. That's one of the primary reasons the Timberwolves suck: both Love and Pek are great offensive players that can rebound, but can't play D.

TDMVPDPOY
05-09-2014, 04:53 AM
Pekovic is a terrible defender. That's one of the primary reasons the Timberwolves suck: both Love and Pek are great offensive players that can rebound, but can't play D.

dont forget rubio who has no offensive game let alone play any defense....yet this clown is going to get paid this off season just for making flashy passes

MI21
05-09-2014, 05:01 AM
He excels in the defensive things that don't show up in the boxscore or highlights so people that only seen him play every now and again and broadcast analysts don't realise just how good he is. Once he started getting a bit of respect from the referees his defense took another leap.

One of the most versatile big defenders in the league tbh

Captivus
05-09-2014, 06:30 AM
I really like Tiago now. I didnt before.
His presence in the field has grown.

monosylab1k
05-09-2014, 08:00 AM
I've been trying to tell Dallas fans around here for a few years that Splitter is far more valuable than his numbers. People here think he's another shitty big stiff SA puts next to Duncan (ie Oberto/Nazr/Rasho) but last series they finally saw how good he is defensively. I think the fact that he looks mouthbreather-ish and has dumbface doesn't help.

Franklin
05-09-2014, 09:34 AM
A competent NBA-caliber big man, at least someone who earns 9m a year shouldn't miss any easy layups the same clumsy manner as Splitter does. Dude just looks fine in a well-developed defensive system, if you throw Dalembert in there he would look just as good tbh. There're at least five big men defensively superior, DH, Marc, DeMonkey, Noah, big daddy TC... just to name a few.

FkLA
05-09-2014, 01:37 PM
A competent NBA-caliber big man, at least someone who earns 9m a year shouldn't miss any easy layups the same clumsy manner as Splitter does. Dude just looks fine in a well-developed defensive system, if you throw Dalembert in there he would look just as good tbh. There're at least five big men defensively superior, DH, Marc, DeMonkey, Noah, big daddy TC... just to name a few.

Nah youre way off on this one my niglet. Golden God has been asked to guard Dirk and now Aldridge mano a mano, that has nothing to do with the system...his one-on-one defense is up there with anyone. Although yes hes also a great system defender, his pick and roll D is top notch. If he didnt have a ten inch vertical and was a bigger shot-blocking presence/dominant rebounder hed be an elite defensive bigman tbh.

Baam
05-09-2014, 03:41 PM
ST is turning into that shitty Pompeii movie with all the premature ejaculators blowing their load fantasizing about that scrub...

in2deep
05-09-2014, 04:03 PM
I've been trying to tell Dallas fans around here for a few years that Splitter is far more valuable than his numbers. People here think he's another shitty big stiff SA puts next to Duncan (ie Oberto/Nazr/Rasho) but last series they finally saw how good he is defensively. I think the fact that he looks mouthbreather-ish and has dumbface doesn't help.

Because Dalembert looks like a professor :lol

timtonymanu
05-09-2014, 04:08 PM

:lol

Strange Love
05-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Dude has come a long ways since last year's POs run.

Chinook
05-09-2014, 05:33 PM

:rollin Ludicrous. Coach Nick tell you that?

The Spurs aren't doing anything defensively against Aldridge, nor did they do anything against Dirk. Pop seriously just went to Splitter and said, "check this dude," and Tiago has put together the two best defensive performances this side of last year's WCSF against the Warriors.

MeloHype
05-09-2014, 05:36 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/05/09/film-study-splitter-d-keys-spurs/

gnsf0946
05-09-2014, 05:42 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/05/09/film-study-splitter-d-keys-spurs/

expect splitter to get into early foul trouble

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-10-2014, 02:29 AM
Tiago is one of the very few defenders who can guard the post, mid-range shooters and the pick-and-roll.

Calispursfan11
05-10-2014, 03:12 PM
Splitter has been playing stellar defense but he's limited somewhat by his body type. In other words, he is tall but he has an ostrich neck, meaning that he's really more like a 6-9 player when it comes to wingspan and length. I'm not sure if he has t-rex arms but they're definitely not noticeably long either especially with shoulder height of a 6-9 player. Kawhi has a much larger wingspan.

mavsfan1000
05-10-2014, 06:07 PM
Overrated. Diaw is better imo. Diaw hurts you on both sides. Splitter lacks the offensive moves to be a great player. His defense is pretty good though.

Franklin
05-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Splitter is just a polished version of Rasho tbh.

mystargtr34
05-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Splitter has been playing stellar defense but he's limited somewhat by his body type. In other words, he is tall but he has an ostrich neck, meaning that he's really more like a 6-9 player when it comes to wingspan and length. I'm not sure if he has t-rex arms but they're definitely not noticeably long either especially with shoulder height of a 6-9 player. Kawhi has a much larger wingspan.

He does have an ostrich neck which takes a couple of inches off his standing reach tbh but he measured out pretty well at pre draft camp something like a 7-2 wingspan and 9-2 standing reach which for a 6-11 white guy are great numbers.

mercos
05-11-2014, 01:18 AM
Splitter has become the Bruce Bowen of big man defenders. He doesn't get a lot of the defensive stats (steals and blocks) but he makes whoever he is guarding work extremely hard. He is very good at staying in front of his man, and almost always contests the shot. As others have stated, his pick and roll defense is superb as well. He has even looked good on several occasions checking guards on the perimeter on switches. He has excellent foot work. His feet are as good as his hands are bad.

TDMVPDPOY
05-11-2014, 01:23 AM
gets good position, doesnt get pushed around down low, hand in the air just some basic shit will get it done

just look at that posse matt bonner the king of +/- on the court, have u seen his defense improved by just putting his hand up even though he looks like shit on the court trying to play defense, but that shit works for him....

gettin in areas b4 the offensive player wants to go and release their shot also helps...

splitter can straight up defend without any double or help defense from the weakside by duncan or any other player, a better rasho imo....now if we can get bayne to play that sort of defense then we have a legit backup for the backup...

HI-FI
05-11-2014, 01:30 AM
nigga has been incredible and underrated since the playoffs started. shit he's been pretty solid since he came here.

sook
05-11-2014, 01:37 AM
its pretty fucking amazing.

DMC
05-11-2014, 01:48 AM
Splitter does one thing very very well: He stays down on pump fakes. I never understood why a 7'2 guy would jump on a pump fake. Your fucking hands touch the rim flat footed, just put your hands up. Splitter might give up some points, but they are all contested shots and isn't being brought off the ground like Danny fucking Green with just the slightest up movement. If people like Green and Manu weren't flying in on the help defense, those and 1 moments probably don't come.

testies
05-11-2014, 04:31 AM
Splitter has become the Bruce Bowen of big man defenders. He doesn't get a lot of the defensive stats (steals and blocks) but he makes whoever he is guarding work extremely hard. He is very good at staying in front of his man, and almost always contests the shot. As others have stated, his pick and roll defense is superb as well. He has even looked good on several occasions checking guards on the perimeter on switches. He has excellent foot work. His feet are as good as his hands are bad.

Dat Brazilian soccer playing youth

TDMVPDPOY
05-11-2014, 05:01 AM
Splitter does one thing very very well: He stays down on pump fakes. I never understood why a 7'2 guy would jump on a pump fake. Your fucking hands touch the rim flat footed, just put your hands up. Splitter might give up some points, but they are all contested shots and isn't being brought off the ground like Danny fucking Green with just the slightest up movement. If people like Green and Manu weren't flying in on the help defense, those and 1 moments probably don't come.

danny green is a scrub whose been living on the reputation that his a good defender after that okc series 11/12, when in reality his not, dude jumps on every ball fake, gives his man to much spacing to operate, relies to much on his athleticism to try catch his man from the blind spot....he doesnt foul alot but thats misleading cause the help defense is gettin called for it to bail out his ass

FkLA
05-11-2014, 06:34 PM
Green is no Bowen but he's a good defender IMO. His good plays outweigh his boneheaded ones. His quick feet and length are pretty rare tbh.

Franklin
05-12-2014, 12:38 AM
One can hardly get a job on the Spurs if he doesn't play above average defense imho. There are shitty defenders (like Matt Bonner) on Spurs squad but most of them don't get meaningful minutes.

Brazil
05-12-2014, 09:08 AM
Green is no Bowen but he's a good defender IMO. His good plays outweigh his boneheaded ones. His quick feet and length are pretty rare tbh.

except for Duncan and maybe Leonard (not sure), timvpdpoty consider that all roster is full of scrubs tbh... it makes me wonder how in hell we are on the verge on winning second round POs with enrique overrated piece of shit, pop fucking clown coatriding duncan, turnobili tosb, green scrub, diaw scrub, splitter scrub etc etc

that's mainly y nobody takes him seriously but he is somewhat fun when I can actually read his fucking wanker English

TDMVPDPOY
05-12-2014, 10:58 AM
except for Duncan and maybe Leonard (not sure), timvpdpoty consider that all roster is full of scrubs tbh... it makes me wonder how in hell we are on the verge on winning second round POs with enrique overrated piece of shit, pop fucking clown coatriding duncan, turnobili tosb, green scrub, diaw scrub, splitter scrub etc etc

that's mainly y nobody takes him seriously but he is somewhat fun when I can actually read his fucking wanker English

if this team aint TOSB, explain
- duncan missing that shot to win the finals?
- enrique mode for game 6, do u want to combine what he did in game7? how about game 8++9 this rs?
- that tina turnoboli in the finals game with the 8turnovers
- that scrub danny green going cold carrying over to this season

like enrique said when the spurs were playin with house money without kawhi yet, this team aint built for the playoffs,

then we got kawhi; sperms luck changes and he changes his view but he still enrique after what he said during the finals last year, now this year? all or nothing just another wasted season according to him...

so if the spurs do make the finals, is he going to approach the finals like last years? going enrique again? or his going to start deferring alot when his game hits the shits with the same strategy used against him?

if history repeats itself against the heat in the finals with the same strategy and outcome, u going to give him a free pass?

PingPong
05-12-2014, 11:21 AM
It's easy to clean Green's defense. Just pump fake and he will jump at you like a meth headed frog.

TDMVPDPOY
05-12-2014, 11:30 AM
It's easy to clean Green's defense. Just pump fake and he will jump at you like a meth headed frog.

he hasnt improve on areas in his game thats needed, midrange or finishing at the fkn ring...

then again the spurs system and offense doesnt allow scrubs to go hero mode, stuck to shoot whatever role or skillset allows them too, which is mainly spot up shooter...

FkLA
12-19-2014, 10:35 PM
Golden God is Aldridge's daddy tbh.