PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Spurs on MVPau's short list ... is that a good fit?

Killakobe81
05-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Along with Grizz, Bulls and Lakers according to "sauces". Lakers out of loyalty the others cuz he wants compete for titles.
Pau gets unmitigated love here, but with Diaw and Tiago balling and Duncan being Duncan, is SA the best fit?
Thoughts?

ChumpDumper
05-09-2014, 01:28 PM
It's a good tactic for driving up his asking price.

Killakobe81
05-09-2014, 01:30 PM
Sorry did not venture upstairs I see this already has some traction, but we have some that post here that dont post much upstairs.

Pau does not seem like the type to just leverage the Spurs. He seems like a sincere cat. But I dont know the man ...

ChumpDumper
05-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Pau doesn't have to leverage anything. That's what agents are for.

lefty
05-09-2014, 01:32 PM
:cry classy leverage talk

DD
05-09-2014, 01:34 PM
lol driving up his price...cause there were so many takers last year:rollin

So hard to fathom how/why he's still been on the team since 2012.

RobbyH
05-09-2014, 01:35 PM
not sure if he wants to be groped by Timmy D in the showers

Killakobe81
05-09-2014, 01:35 PM
Pau doesn't have to leverage anything. That's what agents are for.

Dont know much about his agent either. I do know that Ariza's/Bynum's is a prick. And we did not keep either in the end ...

Would love Ariza back though ...Pau too but not at crazy money.

ChumpDumper
05-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Dont know much about his agent either.Same guy who got Joe Johnson $20 million a year.

Killakobe81
05-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Same guy who got Joe Johnson $20 million a year.

Well, shit. Thanks.
And thanks Pau for all your years of service as a great #2 ...

Robz4000
05-09-2014, 01:57 PM
He'd be a terrible fit unless he rediscovers his mobility, though he could come off the bench with Diaw I guess. All depends on his asking price and who the Spurs dump in the offseason.

spurraider21
05-09-2014, 01:59 PM
limiting himself to 4 teams without huge cap space is driving up his asking price?

ChumpDumper
05-09-2014, 02:10 PM
limiting himself to 4 teams without huge cap space is driving up his asking price?Who said he was going to be signed outright?

spurraider21
05-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Who said he was going to be signed outright?
nobody said that. but again, how would limiting his choices to four clubs with minimal cap space drive up his asking price?

ChumpDumper
05-09-2014, 02:19 PM
nobody said that. but again, how would limiting his choices to four clubs with minimal cap space drive up his asking price?Why do you keep limiting yourself to cap space as the only method of obtaining a player?

spurraider21
05-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Why do you keep limiting yourself to cap space as the only method of obtaining a player?
I never said that. Why can't you answer my question though? how would limiting your choices ever drive up your asking price?

ChumpDumper
05-09-2014, 02:24 PM
I never said that. Why can't you answer my question though? how would limiting your choices ever drive up your asking price?You just moved your goalposts.

Do you want to ask this question or the one you previously asked?

spurraider21
05-09-2014, 02:27 PM
You just moved your goalposts.

Do you want to ask this question or the one you previously asked?
I didn't move any goalposts. You didn't answer my question the two previous times I asked, and now for a third time. How could limiting your choices, especially to teams with limited cap space, increase your asking price? Even if you find the cap space to be irrelevant due to the ability to execute sign and trades, how would limiting your choices be a tool to increase your asking price?

ChumpDumper
05-09-2014, 02:28 PM
I didn't move any goalposts. You didn't answer my question the two previous times I asked, and now for a third time. How could limiting your choices, especially to teams with limited cap space, increase your asking price?So you are going back to the first question?

Are you going to stick with it this time?

spurraider21
05-09-2014, 02:29 PM
So you are going back to the first question?

Are you going to stick with it this time?
Are you ever going to answer it? in your view the cap space doesn't matter, so the two questions i asked should have the same meaning to you. i suspect you won't answer the question though. just a wild guess

ChumpDumper
05-09-2014, 02:30 PM
Are you ever going to answer it? in your view the cap space doesn't matter, so the two questions i asked should have the same meaning to youJust let me know you are flopping back to the original question after flipping away from it and I'll be happy to answer it.

spurraider21
05-09-2014, 02:32 PM
again, i never changed my question. since you seem to find the cap issue irrelevant, the question would be the same whether or not i included the cap room caveat. but if it tickles your fancy, fine, i'll "flop back" to my original question.

limiting himself to 4 teams without huge cap space is driving up his asking price?

ChumpDumper
05-09-2014, 02:34 PM
again, i never changed my question. since you seem to find the cap issue irrelevant, the question would be the same whether or not i included the cap room caveat. but if it tickles your fancy, fine, i'll "flop back" to my original question.You did change it.

Then changed it back.

Just admit it and we can move on.

spurraider21
05-09-2014, 02:35 PM
i just told you i'd "flop back" to my original question and reposted it. you keep dodging it. stands to reason you don't have an answer.

ChumpDumper
05-09-2014, 02:44 PM
i just told you i'd "flop back" to my original question and reposted it. you keep dodging it. stands to reason you don't have an answer.OK, thanks for admitting your flip-flopping. It's refreshing.

For this kind of leak, one just can't come out and say I'll go for wherever I can get the most money -- especially if one just wants to play for competitors like Pau appears to. (Laker jokes aside). You can only put so many team names out there before it just isn't taken seriously. So out out a couple of names of teams that have and can make big acquisitions one way or another, and make sure a couple are serious playoff teams to encourage other teams to go into cockblocking mode with their deals and/or cap space.

The list given is by no means exclusive; it just gives the folks an idea what he's looking for and what it will take. Anyone who takes a leak like this as gospel in early May is reading way too much into it.

spurraider21
05-09-2014, 02:49 PM
OK, thanks for admitting your flip-flopping. It's refreshing.

For this kind of leak, one just can't come out and say I'll go for wherever I can get the most money -- especially if one just wants to play for competitors like Pau appears to. (Laker jokes aside). You can only put so many team names out there before it just isn't taken seriously. So out out a couple of names of teams that have and can make big acquisitions one way or another, and make sure a couple are serious playoff teams to encourage other teams to go into cockblocking mode with their deals and/or cap space.

The list given is by no means exclusive; it just gives the folks an idea what he's looking for and what it will take. Anyone who takes a leak like this as gospel in early May is reading way too much into it.
Just saying something along the lines of wanting to play for competing teams would have sufficed. Providing a short list of teams you'd like to play for just seems to be limiting his market, which isn't a good move if you want to have bidding.

Due to the Lakers cap situation, they can execute a sign and trade and just get back draft picks/trade exception, and they likely wouldn't want to take on contracts from other teams (look at the sign and trades Miami executed to get bosh/james). Thus even in a sign and trade spot, its unlikely that these contending teams are going to be able to offer more cash than they would have via free agency anyway.

ChumpDumper
05-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Just saying something along the lines of wanting to play for competing teams would have sufficed. Providing a short list of teams you'd like to play for just seems to be limiting his market, which isn't a good move if you want to have bidding.

Due to the Lakers cap situation, they can execute a sign and trade and just get back draft picks/trade exception, and they likely wouldn't want to take on contracts from other teams (look at the sign and trades Miami executed to get bosh/james). Thus even in a sign and trade spot, its unlikely that these contending teams are going to be able to offer more cash than they would have via free agency anyway.Again, your reasoning is fairly limited. And again, trying to characterize this as an exclusive list is folly.

benstanfield
05-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Pau has Mark Cuban offseason failure consolation prize written all over him. I wouldn't want him for more than 14m over two years so no.

benstanfield
05-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Pau wouldn't want to be our 4th big and would certainly want more than 4th big money. Unless TD retires or we let Diaw walk it's a no go.

ElNono
05-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Wondering if the firing of MikeD has him intrigued about returning to the Lakeshow... it's his last potentially big contract, so I expect him to follow the money. That's why I don't think the Spurs are a real candidate.

RsxPiimp
05-09-2014, 03:05 PM
lol driving up his price...cause there were so many takers last year:rollin

Uh, didn't Phoenix offered a second rounder? Clearly Pau is a hot commodity.

Seventyniner
05-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Who said he was going to be signed outright?

Do you mean MLE or a sign-and-trade?

ChumpDumper
05-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Do you mean MLE or a sign-and-trade?

Could be anything tbh.

Koolaid_Man
05-09-2014, 03:33 PM
Wondering if the firing of MikeD has him intrigued about returning to the Lakeshow... it's his last potentially big contract, so I expect him to follow the money. That's why I don't think the Spurs are a real candidate.

Fuck Pau. He got paid 19 mil a yr and played like shit. I don't care who was his fuckin coach. He re - signs for no more than 3 million or he can go fuck himself.

Leetonidas
05-09-2014, 03:33 PM
Spurs don't really need him and his defense ain't what it used to be. If this was 2010 I'd say yes but for 2015 I'll pass, he's not MVPau anymore

ambchang
05-09-2014, 03:52 PM
MVPau would still be a great fit offensively with the spurs. His defense has nosedived the last couple of seasons though, not sure if it's a motivation issue or age.

If the former, sign him up. Not like there are skilled bigs in the league available anyways.

spurraider21
05-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Again, your reasoning is fairly limited. And again, trying to characterize this as an exclusive list is folly.
Exclusive or not, shrinking your market is not really a bargaining chip

Raven
05-09-2014, 04:32 PM
Same guy who got Joe Johnson $20 million a year.

in fairness, i don't remember much being done by the agent at the time, they just gave the max straight away. Different times.

DMC
05-09-2014, 04:46 PM
This would be funny: Pau signs with SA. Pop, Tim and Manu retire. Mike D becomes the new head coach. Now Pau is playing for Mike again but he'd still make the playoffs with the rest of that roster.

ChumpDumper
05-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Exclusive or not, shrinking your market is not really a bargaining chip
Who says thos will actually shrink his market? Dude doesn't want to play in Cleveland.

ChumpDumper
05-09-2014, 06:04 PM
in fairness, i don't remember much being done by the agent at the time, they just gave the max straight away. Different times.

Well, you can look at the rest of his client list. Seems to do pretty well for them.

Biernutz
05-09-2014, 06:09 PM
To sign Pau if he wanted to come here, who leaves to get the $10-15 mill he would get?

td4mvp2k
05-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Fuck Pau. He got paid 19 mil a yr and played like shit. I don't care who was his fuckin coach. He re - signs for no more than 3 million or he can go fuck himself.:lol but 48.5

DAF86
05-09-2014, 06:14 PM
He's one of the closest things to Duncan in the league. Of course he would be a good fit, I don't understand the people that say that he isn't. A bigmen rotation of Duncan, Splitter, Diaw and Pau would be something else. The problem of course is the money and Gasol being willed to come off the bench and play no more than 25 minutes per game.

Biernutz
05-09-2014, 06:22 PM
What about Pau's age? Why not spend the money on someone younger? We are too old is all you hear on the boards
here now they want old Pau.

DD
05-10-2014, 12:29 AM
No lie I'd be satisfied with a Semi-Pro trade that netted us a washing machine in return. Same impact, at a much cheaper cost.

spurraider21
07-18-2014, 02:20 PM

yeah... announcing a short list of teams you want to play for is typically not how one goes about driving up his asking price

RD2191
07-18-2014, 02:25 PM

yeah... announcing a short list of teams you want to play for is typically not how one goes about driving up his asking price
Since when are the bulls a championship level team?:lol

Thread
07-18-2014, 02:27 PM

He's gonna need a hand holder to do a fuckin' thing.

ChumpDumper
07-18-2014, 02:50 PM

yeah... announcing a short list of teams you want to play for is typically not how one goes about driving up his asking priceSeeing as the Lakers were on that list and had the wherewithal to sign him for a lot of money to keep him from a competitor -- it could.

Maybe not typical, but most people just don't come out and say "whoever pays me the most."

spurraider21
07-18-2014, 02:52 PM
Seeing as the Lakers were on that list and had the wherewithal to sign him for a lot of money to keep him from a competitor -- it could.

Maybe not typical, but most people just don't come out and say "whoever pays me the most."
he turned down larger offers from the Lakers and the Hawks to play for the Bulls though. i don't think his announcement of a handful of teams was an effort to drive his price up, and his decisions in free agency reflect that

spurraider21
07-18-2014, 02:52 PM
they have a decent shot of making the finals tbh

Thread
07-18-2014, 02:55 PM

If, if, if,,,,tired old horseshit.

RD2191
07-18-2014, 02:56 PM
No they don't. It's the same bullshit every year. Overrated and overhyped, imo. That's with a healthy Rose.

spurraider21
07-18-2014, 03:05 PM
No they don't. It's the same bullshit every year. Overrated and overhyped, imo. That's with a healthy Rose.
i don't think they're all that either, but its the East. Indiana got worse, and we can't really gauge Cleveland yet.

ChumpDumper
07-18-2014, 07:11 PM
he turned down larger offers from the Lakers and the Hawks to play for the Bulls though. i don't think his announcement of a handful of teams was an effort to drive his price up, and his decisions in free agency reflect thatI don't either.

spurraider21
07-18-2014, 07:15 PM
I don't either.
Glad to see you've come around :tu

ChumpDumper
07-18-2014, 07:25 PM
Glad to see you've come around :tuCome around to what? It's what happened in this case.

spurraider21
07-18-2014, 07:36 PM
Come around to what? It's what happened in this case.
Come around to realize that his motives were not to drive his price-tag up

ChumpDumper
07-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Never changed tbh
Anyone who takes a leak like this as gospel in early May is reading way too much into it.