PDA

View Full Version : Damian Lillard: "Their screens hurt"

Destro
05-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Damian Lillard on what makes Spurs tough: "Their screens hurt"

http://www.csnnw.com/blazers/damian-lillard-what-makes-spurs-tough-their-screens-hurt

SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs proved why they are a fascinating, well-oiled, attention to detail running machine. Their execution is clean and crisp. They run their sets and get into them with plenty of time to go through their options.

But what was blatantly noticeable during their 114-97 victory over the Portland Trail Blazers to go up 2-0 in the series is how they got their guys open shots and quality paths to the basket. It’s not rocket science. In order to free someone up, there has to be one of those body-to-body clashes that you seldom see anymore.

Damian Lillard explains exactly what that annoying contact is termed in the game of basketball. It’s a tactic the Spurs do often and so well.

“Their screens hurt. They actually set real screens,” Lillard told CSNNW.com. “They do a great job of setting and holding screens. It wears you down. Chasing Tony Parker is one thing. Getting hit every single time is another thing. It takes a toll on you.” [\B]

Lillard did register 19 points, five rebounds and five assists in 41 minutes, but he was only eight-of-20 from the floor. He was six-of-15 in the Game 1 loss. Wesley Matthews and Nicolas Batum are experiencing the pounding, as well.

The Spurs don’t play favorites.

However, Lillard is expected to carry much of the load on the offensive end in order to give his team a fighting chance in this series. Getting bumped and popped from neck-popping screens doesn’t bode well for Portland if they intend to get their All-Star point guard going offensively.

[B]“It makes you tired,” Lillard said. “When you’re tired from chasing him (Parker) around down there, it’s tough to come down on the offensive end and get much done when you’re wore down. It’s hard. I’ve got to do a better job at avoiding screens. That’s a challenge that we’re all going to have to accept.”

You can only watch in astonishment at the organization and structure of the Spurs’ system. No matter whom they plug in, the job gets done. Arron Baynes came off the bench in Game 1 and erupted for 1o point and seven rebounds in 15 minutes of play. Thursday, Coach Gregg Popovich didn’t play him until there was 1:38 left in the game.

Not only is the system highly efficient, it’s unpredictable.

“They are the best executing team in the NBA,” Batum said after posting numbers of 21 points, nine rebounds and two assists. “You have to give them credit. They know how to run their stuff and you take a beating.”

Where do the Trail Blazers go from here? Well, first of all, they head back home battered and bruised. Mo Williams had to come out of the game with a nagging groin injury and did not return. The Spurs’ bench scored 50 points for the second straight game with Portland putting up 19 points.

It’s a mental and physical beating the Trail Blazers are taking. Secondly, they have to believe they can beat this team. LaMarcas Aldridge said postgame that “they’re beatable,” and he refereed to the two wins they secured against them in the regular season.

But this isn’t the regular season. It’s the playoffs. And the Spurs know how to play in the months of May and June.

“I think guys are just looking forward to going home and getting back on track,” LaMarcus Aldridge said. “Going home will be good for us. It’s about growth. We haven’t been down 2-0. We went to Houston and won two. That whole series was different. This is new territory for us and we have to live and learn from it. ”

Tomorrow should be a maintenance day for the Trail Blazers because they’ll need it. Bodies are banged up like never before. The Spurs aren’t known for being overly physical but that’s what happens when you play the game the right way and actually set solid picks. When executed properly, they hurt.

“Some teams are really good screeners but I think the fact that they execute so well with everything they do with the screens and how their guys come off of them makes it difficult,” Lillard said. “It’s going to be an ongoing challenge.”

Tags: Damian Lillard, PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS, Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs, NBA playoffs
Chris Haynes, Trail Blazers & NBA Insiderens-hurt

----------------------------------

We broke their confidence. (Edit-formatting)

Skull-1
05-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Not yet. We haven't broken them until we win four.

EVAY
05-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Remarkable article. I do believe that some of Parker's success in Game 7 against Dallas and in Game 1 against Portland was better screens than I saw being set in the rs. In game 2 Parker just missed some makeable shots.

Interesting that Lillard is describing his defensive challenges as a part of his offensive troubles. He doesn't seem to figure out that having to play 40+ minutes per game is contributing to that sense of being 'worn out'.

It is precisely in the area of screens that I think the refs will brew up some home-cooking for Portland in their own arena. But unless they pick up their game, even the refs aren't gonna be able to change the outcome of the game, imo.

houston spurs fan
05-10-2014, 10:46 AM
All of those quotes sound like they believe they will lose the series. No confidence.

florige
05-10-2014, 11:00 AM
If they lose game 3 at home they will more than likely throw up the white flag. Especially if its another blowout.

Budkin
05-10-2014, 12:17 PM
All of those quotes sound like they believe they will lose the series. No confidence.

Don't worry I'm sure we'll end up giving them new life tonight. We tend to do that. :lol

boutons_deux
05-10-2014, 12:26 PM
If they lose game 3 at home they will more than likely throw up the white flag. Especially if its another blowout.

if they lose game 3, they'll join the losers who have never come back from 0-3, no need for a white flag.

spursfan1000
05-10-2014, 12:28 PM
I noticed last game Duncan does a whole lot of moving screens

moisaenz
05-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Lillard hurting....

Dex
05-10-2014, 12:34 PM
:lol Go ahead and try to avoid those screens, Lillard. See what happens when you try going under.

DPG21920
Remarkable article. I do believe that some of Parker's success in Game 7 against Dallas and in Game 1 against Portland was better screens than I saw being set in the rs. In game 2 Parker just missed some makeable shots.

Interesting that Lillard is describing his defensive challenges as a part of his offensive troubles. He doesn't seem to figure out that having to play 40+ minutes per game is contributing to that sense of being 'worn out'.

It is precisely in the area of screens that I think the refs will brew up some home-cooking for Portland in their own arena. But unless they pick up their game, even the refs aren't gonna be able to change the outcome of the game, imo.

Great observation. A few of us have mentioned this back in the Dallas series. The screens were not timely or crisp & it hurt the offense. When the Spurs are at their best they set solid & well timed screens and it's on full display right now.

Dex
I noticed last game Duncan does a whole lot of moving screens

Along with every other "great defensive big".

moisaenz
so when is lillard coming out of the closet?

boutons_deux
05-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Along with every other "great defensive big".

moving/leaning screens and palming the ball are two of the huge rule violations not called nearly enough

superjames1992
05-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Lilliard hurts. :cry

DPG21920
05-10-2014, 12:42 PM

Blazers entire defense is centered around defending the 3. As always, taking care off the ball on the dribble on their hard close outs, setting good screens and making crisp passes is key to getting those looks. Kawhi has a chance to be huge this series as he's the best mid-range guy the Spurs have.

I said that before the series & it ties in. Screening is so critical to the Spurs offense.

Darius McCrary
05-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Don't worry I'm sure we'll end up giving them new life tonight. We tend to do that. :lol
lol its so true

EVAY
05-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Great observation. A few of us have mentioned this back in the Dallas series. The screens were not timely or crisp & it hurt the offense. When the Spurs are at their best they set solid & well timed screens and it's on full display right now.

In fact Tim himself mentioned it after one of the Dallas losses, literally saying 'we have to set better screens'. It is one thing that I have noticed that Baynes is actually quite good at doing, unsurprising since he is such a wide body.

BillMc
05-10-2014, 01:54 PM
:lol Go ahead and try to avoid those screens, Lillard. See what happens when you try going under.
:lol

https://pp.vk.me/c608123/v608123589/12be/e0p-LHqFwDo.jpg

boutons_deux
05-10-2014, 01:55 PM
nearly EVERY play in NBA has one or more screens

05-10-2014, 02:07 PM
In fact Tim himself mentioned it after one of the Dallas losses, literally saying 'we have to set better screens'. It is one thing that I have noticed that Baynes is actually quite good at doing, unsurprising since he is such a wide body.

Yeah, he doesn't have to move, dude is just huge. When people run into them, they run into a wall.

DesignatedT
05-10-2014, 02:16 PM

Other teams tend to not do this or something? Jw

EVAY
05-10-2014, 02:28 PM
Yeah, he doesn't have to move, dude is just huge. When people run into them, they run into a wall.

If by some stroke of good luck and good basketball we make it out of this round and end up playing the Clippers in the WCF, can you imagine Chris Paul bouncing off of Baynes every time he sets a screen?! Ha! I mean can't you just picture what it will look like? Of course Baynes will foul out in 2.5 minutes, but it would sure be fun to watch at the time.

Probably won't happen because I think the NBA is gonna make sure that Durant comes out of the this round (and probably out of the Western Conference), but the very thought of it just makes me smile.

TheyCallMePro
05-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Portland's quote's remind me of what Utah's players said when we were sweeping them a few years ago. "They're beatable..." "We can do it..." "We had success against them before..." "We just need to regroup..."

These are defeatist statements. They. Are. Done. Once you start actually discussing what your opponent is doing specifically that is frustrating you, you're basically giving up on trying to stop it, and instead just complaining about it.

I feel like I'm the ONLY person on this planet that said we would sweep this team before the series started. Everything was so obvious...they play no defense, have ZERO depth, no experience, and the Spurs NEVER lose series to inferior teams--in fact, they always smash inferior competition. Which the Blazers are.

testies
05-10-2014, 03:26 PM
And Splitter is the best screener in Spurs.. What a fucking asset the Brazilian is

sexinthatsx
05-10-2014, 09:10 PM
I just really hope the Blazers saying they have to fight through screens better doesn't mean the players will make some bone-headed move that can cause an injury to any of the Spurs players...

Sean Cagney
05-10-2014, 09:57 PM
Naturally, the SPURS seemed to keep doing that over and over with Dallas! They will so called find their groove.