PDA

View Full Version : What Value Does Mills bring or not bring to the Spurs?

keywester
05-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Before any discussion, I'll admit to the following

1. As a SMC alum I'm a big Mills fan!!! (Note...the last three SMC PG's have gone on to play in in the NBA. Currently two are still active...not bad for a small D1 school.
2. Mills left after his second year (injured) and just made the draft with the Blazer. He worked enough to become the back up to Andre Miller ( not saying much )

OK, that being said, I have no doubt that Mills would never be with the Spurs if not for is relationship with Brett Brown after his rocky experience in China (even the Blazers didn't take him back).

Now the question is...after nearly thee years with the Spurs, what is he worth as a baller? His playoff numbers are getting better (#7 overall) and hopefully he will improve win by win.

TBH, I don't believe Mills has as a future with the Spurs, but hope SA can appreciate him for who he is. The likes of robdiaz are welcome to throw as much garbage on Mills as they like!!!

RD2191
05-11-2014, 04:18 PM
I don't hate Mills. I hate his delusional fans. He's got a ton of heart and a great positive attitude. He chucks a bit too much for my liking but it is what it is.

playblair
05-11-2014, 04:24 PM
mills vs reggie jackson = :depressed................. cojo deserves the back up pg spot next round if thunder advance........................

EVAY
05-11-2014, 04:27 PM
I think the Spurs will keep him if he is willing to continue to work hard and develop his game and sign relatively cheap contracts. Right now, I think he has been a good value for the Spurs.

He has played more this year than last because he worked his butt off over the summer and came back in good physical shape and having improved his game. He remains too small to be very effective on defense, but he brings energy and a short shooting memory, something that the Spurs need because they can get too scared to shoot sometimes.

Yes he overshoots occasionally, but he is getting better about that. I don't think he is ever gonna be a playmaker, so he will never be much more than
a back up short-span-shooting back up, but there is a place for that on this team right now.

benstanfield
05-11-2014, 04:31 PM
I think if he can master being a pest on defense while limiting mental mistakes then I have no problem with his chucking. His shot seems more consistent than Neal's ever was.

He got torched by Harris in the first round, but he is I think much more effective in match ups like Portland where the starting PG plays upwards of 38 minutes. Guys like Lillard have to chase TP around all game and then find themselves being chased full court by our quickest player Mills.

i personally think Mills will stay after this year if the FO wants him. His role in the regular season rotation is perfect for a guy like him, he has the green light to shoot, and he seems to like the rest of the guys a lot. Patty is delusional if he thinks he could be playing starter minutes somewhere else, and hopefully will learn from watching Gary Neal eat shit on the Bucks after chasing dollars and playing time.

TMTTRIO
05-11-2014, 05:38 PM
gWe have our Manu replacement. I think he can be a great sixth man off the bench when Manu leaves soon. He already brings the energy and spark off the bench that Manu does.

ElNono
05-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Mostly shooting and energy... you would never confuse him with a playmaker though... but in this system, as long as he can execute and make shots, he'll be extremely valuable

downunder
05-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Mills does not have freedom to shoot as that would upset Parker & Manu, so Mills waits his opportunities. Diaz should look at season numbers to work out chuckers - yes it is Parker & Manu. They keep shooting even if they have an off night because they are marquee and can get away with it . Pop pretends to get annoyed but he knows he is there because of the three marquee players not because of his coaching skills. When the marquee players go so will Pop. Mills is best out of this hotbed when he gets a good offer but Brown gave him his chance not Pop.

keywester
05-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Mills does not have freedom to shoot as that would upset Parker & Manu, so Mills waits his opportunities. Diaz should look at season numbers to work out chuckers - yes it is Parker & Manu. They keep shooting even if they have an off night because they are marquee and can get away with it . Pop pretends to get annoyed but he knows he is there because of the three marquee players not because of his coaching skills. When the marquee players go so will Pop. Mills is best out of this hotbed when he gets a good offer but Brown gave him his chance not Pop.

Not sure I agree with your Parker/Manu chucker theory! However…I agree with everything else you say. Also, I am starting to wonder if Pop may be trying go devalue Diaw & Mills as FA's by limiting their playing time when possible even when they are playing well? Probably not, but who knows?

BackHome
05-11-2014, 07:33 PM
mills vs reggie jackson = :depressed................. cojo deserves the back up pg spot next round if thunder advance........................

Then I guess that is the year we are tanking if CoJo is our starter for the second unit.

AFBlue
05-11-2014, 08:31 PM
The kid can really shoot, which is an undervalued skill at his position. I think he's maxed out in terms of his playmaking potential, but that's not to say he's reached his peak as a player. I could definitely see him get more playing time with a less competitive squad that needs his production; like say 25-30 minutes a night alongside and backing up Michael Carter-Williams in Philly.

DMC
05-11-2014, 09:10 PM
What value he brings:

Energy off the bench
Increase in tempo
Instant offense
Team chemistry
Full court pressure

What value he doesn't bring:

Post defense
court vision
High basketball IQ (running to the 3 instead of the rim on a break)
athletic finishes at the rim
shot blocking
setting hard screens
bullying niggas in the paint
free car washes
sous chef
heart surgeon
astronaut
SEAL
arena custodian
assistant coach
photographer
etc...

Beaverfuzz
05-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Patty Mills, ring it up!!!

benfti
05-11-2014, 10:01 PM
What value he brings:

Energy off the bench
Increase in tempo
Instant offense
Team chemistry
Full court pressure

What value he doesn't bring:

Post defense
court vision
High basketball IQ (running to the 3 instead of the rim on a break)
athletic finishes at the rim
shot blocking
setting hard screens
bullying niggas in the paint
free car washes
sous chef
heart surgeon
astronaut
SEAL
arena custodian
assistant coach
photographer
etc...

Harsh on the photographer comment his instagram account is choice bro

cd021
05-11-2014, 10:31 PM
I don't hate Mills. I hate his delusional fans. He's got a ton of heart and a great positive attitude. He chucks a bit too much for my liking but it is what it is.

Fair enough. He really can only create for himself. Thats a hit or miss strategy depending on when he is hot or not. He is better moving off the ball than Neal and probably has better handles. He is every bit as good of a shooter too and actually tries defensively.

cd021
05-11-2014, 10:33 PM
Mostly shooting and energy... you would never confuse him with a playmaker though... but in this system, as long as he can execute and make shots, he'll be extremely valuable

Yeah. Thats not his strength but on the plus side Manu can play off the ball a bit more with Mills capability of creating his own shot.

Mel_13
05-11-2014, 10:48 PM
There have been a few threads already about Mills' value to the Spurs and what he may cost to keep. I'm sure the Spurs would like to keep him, but if he wants to maximize his minutes and his salary he's going to have to go somewhere else.

SpurPadre
05-11-2014, 11:20 PM
Some say he's a chucker but unlike Neal, Mills has a good sense of the shot clock and the flow of the game. He does a much better job of knowing his role, the importance of the moment's offensive possession and really only jacks up crazy three attempts when the offense is stagnant and can use a spark. Neal would jack up crazy, uncalled-for three point shots like it was a bodily function. Many times there'd be two seconds after he reaches half court with the ball without a care of who was open or anything else in front of him and forced an unnecessary shot. Mills is a key cog off the bench and therefore, a valuable and appreciated part of the Spurs, despite his noted flaws.

99 Problems
05-12-2014, 02:49 AM
Brings Frogging to the team. Can not think of the last time a player had this ability on a championship contender.

Mikeanaro
05-12-2014, 03:01 AM
Patty Mills is the ultimate solution.

Prime Time
05-12-2014, 03:28 AM
He's a good back-up point guard. That's enough for me.

Spursfanfromafar
05-12-2014, 03:31 AM
Speed, Change of pace, quick trigger, harassment to fatigued guards and much cheer to the squad.

Brazil
05-12-2014, 07:28 AM

Not sure I agree with your Parker/Manu chucker theory! However…I agree with everything else you say. Also, I am starting to wonder if Pop may be trying go devalue Diaw & Mills as FA's by limiting their playing time when possible even when they are playing well? Probably not, but who knows?

that's some terrible overlooked posts tbh

:lol gnsf

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
05-12-2014, 07:38 AM
Mills was in the top 10 for Asst to TO ratio and Steals to TO ratio in the league I believe this year. He is not a great playmaker, but he doesn't make too many mistakes and has molded himself nicely into the Spurs system that requires him to play solid D and be a spot up shooter.

Mills does have some play making skills. Those two assist in game 2 where he gave up a 3 to pass it back to Beli for a wide open 3 and that thread the needle pass to Splitter were smart plays by Patty. He is shooting 63% for this series and that is bc he doesn't chuck shots like he use to.

Patty really has mature in the Spurs system this year and it has shown in this year's playoff.

Cry Havoc
05-12-2014, 09:38 AM

So I guess that 16 point, 10 assist outing from Parker where his shot was off early so he focused on distribution and running the offense was absolutely lost on you, yeah?

MultiTroll
05-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Now the question is...after nearly thee years with the Spurs, what is he worth as a baller? His playoff numbers are getting better (#7 overall) and hopefully he will improve win by win.
Huge.
Parker, as well as he has played, need we be reminded that
2012 4-0, 4-0 after two rounds. 2-0 ahead of Thunderbitch until hosed by Thunderef in Game 6.
2013. Altho it was the Popovich-Turnobili combo that gifted the Championship away, Parker sucked ass to the tune of a Kobelike 6-23 in Game 6. He did hit the huge hoop late that would have sealed the win but still, he's got to be better to overcome the aforementioned top obstacles to Spurs Championship(s).

2014, altho playing very well, Parker has had too many ballhog possessions. Much improved, but he might not get away with the wasted possessions in a closer game against a better team and/or a rigged reffing team like Thunderef. So, Mills coming in relief is huge. Even when Tony is playing fantastic, he is going to need a rest. Mills.

timtonymanu
05-12-2014, 11:15 AM

Ugh the Patty Mills homers are easily becoming the worst group on the board. rob is right, you guys are delusional.

Mills is my guy though. You guys should get off his nuts a little bit.

Dex
05-12-2014, 11:29 AM
that's some terrible overlooked posts tbh

:lol gnsf

Good god. :wow

BillMc
05-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Cool sig Dex! Like the countdown.

http://i.imgur.com/7qEb5aw.png

DJR210
05-12-2014, 12:04 PM
I don't hate Mills. I hate his delusional fan.

FIFY

Brazil
05-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Good god. :wow

the best part is this one tbh "Also, I am starting to wonder if Pop may be trying go devalue Diaw & Mills as FA's by limiting their playing time when possible even when they are playing well? Probably not, but who knows?"

dat some epic gnsfism :lmao

Dex
05-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Cool sig Dex! Like the countdown.

http://i.imgur.com/7qEb5aw.png

Thanks! Credit to streetball.com for the original wallpaper, blasted it with a bit of Photoshop and added the countdown.

Here's the full res:

http://i.imgur.com/1Qewbl6.png