PDA

View Full Version : The refs tonight are...

Beaverfuzz
05-12-2014, 02:48 PM
San Antonio @ Portland Monty McCutchen, John Goble , Ed Malloy, David Guthrie

Darius McCrary
05-12-2014, 03:06 PM
oh no not david guthrie

Spur|n|Austin
05-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Malloy just looks like someone who enjoys trips to Vegas...

EVAY
05-12-2014, 03:10 PM
Guthrie is the alternate, right?

FromWayDowntown
05-12-2014, 03:10 PM
John Goble, not David Guthrie; Guthrie is the alternate.

Robz4000
05-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Malloy sucks

Capster
05-12-2014, 03:28 PM
As long as Joey Crawford is not an official, I am okay with the guys you mentioned!
Go SPURS ...........SWEEEEEEP!!!!!:lol

ElNono
05-12-2014, 03:35 PM
John Goble, not David Guthrie; Guthrie is the alternate.

any thoughts on this ref crew?

FromWayDowntown
05-12-2014, 03:55 PM
any thoughts on this ref crew?

Nothing significant, really.

I still think McCutchen is probably the best official in the league. He misses some things, but what he misses is usually understandable error. He's not quite what Javie used to be for road teams in the playoffs, but he seems fairly impervious to hostile crowds and tends, more than most, to just call the balls and strikes and leave it at that.

Goble is still young, but apparently the league thinks he's an up-and-coming official who will likely be calling Finals games within the next few years. Goble has tended in the last couple of years to get paired with Scott Foster at this point, which makes it hard to really assess his quality in these circumstances, mostly because Foster seems to be a fairly dominant personality who appears to work pretty hard to try to keep playoff games competitive if he can.

Malloy being considered an elite official has always bothered me (and he's considered by the league to be at that level, since he's worked each of the last 3 Finals and worked exclusively as a crew chief during this past regular season). I think it's nonsense to call him one of the 12 or so best officials in the game. But he's at least got a lot more big game experience now than he did a few years ago. He does seem to get swayed by a hostile home crowd at times.

Mugen
05-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Yeah, Monty is the only well known official that I can actually stomach. I've already stated that I hate Malloy and I don't even know who Goble is, which is always a good thing when it comes to refs tbh.

ElNono
05-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Nothing significant, really.

I still think McCutchen is probably the best official in the league. He misses some things, but what he misses is usually understandable error. He's not quite what Javie used to be for road teams in the playoffs, but he seems fairly impervious to hostile crowds and tends, more than most, to just call the balls and strikes and leave it at that.

Goble is still young, but apparently the league thinks he's an up-and-coming official who will likely be calling Finals games within the next few years. Goble has tended in the last couple of years to get paired with Scott Foster at this point, which makes it hard to really assess his quality in these circumstances, mostly because Foster seems to be a fairly dominant personality who appears to work pretty hard to try to keep playoff games competitive if he can.

Malloy being considered an elite official has always bothered me (and he's considered by the league to be at that level, since he's worked each of the last 3 Finals and worked exclusively as a crew chief during this past regular season). I think it's nonsense to call him one of the 12 or so best officials in the game. But he's at least got a lot more big game experience now than he did a few years ago. He does seem to get swayed by a hostile home crowd at times.

thanks

TampaDude
05-12-2014, 04:25 PM
I miss Steve Javie. He was the best ref ever, especially on the road.

Sportstudi
05-12-2014, 04:27 PM
I miss Steve Javie. He was the best ref ever, especially on the road.

Agreed. I wish he comes out of retirement and one out of these (Joey Crawford, Dick Bavetta or Bennett Salvatore) has to retire instead.

heyheymymy
05-12-2014, 05:15 PM
could be a worse crew