PDA

View Full Version : Parker will be fit for EuroBasket

spurschick
08-10-2005, 07:17 PM
http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/news/latest_news_article.asp?r_act_news=8664&r_cat=8&page=1

PARIS (Eurobasket) - French point guard Tony Parker will be rested this week because of a knee injury, but his participation at EuroBasket in not under threat, the French Basketball Federation has insisted.

France is hoping to get one of the six European spots for next year FIBA World Championship 2006, in Japan.

The San Antonio Spurs star has a tendon problem in his right knee, but resting him is only a precaution.

"The point guard has undergone proper treatment and will be rested for a few days," read a statement by the federation.

"His participation for the rest of the preparation for the Eurobasket 2005 is absolutely not threatened."

Parker has just won his second NBA title in three seasons with the Spurs and figures to be the most important player in Claude Bergeaud's squad when they travel to Belgrade for the tournament which begins on September 16.

The French team gathered at the weekend in Alpe d'Huez to begin their preparations ahead of the competition.

Les Bleus will stay in Alpe d'Huez until the 20th before travelling to Spain and Turkey.

They will be back in France at the start of September for a tournament held in Limoges where France will take on Turkey, Ukraine and Bulgaria between September 8-10.

After this warm-up event, Bergeaud is expected to finalise his 12-man squad for the Championships.

France are in Group C and will face Greece on September 16, Bosnia-Herzegovina on the 17th and Slovenia a day after in the opening stages.

T Park
08-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Nothing like having one of the big 3 get hurt this summer.

Damnt Tony sit it out for god's sake.

timvp
08-10-2005, 07:56 PM
:td

Parker needs to stay home.

ducks
08-10-2005, 07:57 PM
I agree parker needs to stay home
but that goes to all spur players not just parker

FUCK THE OTHER GAMES THE ONLY GAME THAT COUNTS IS THE NBA
ALL ELSE IS NOTHING

spurschick
08-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Beno is playing this summer too... how can Pop limit the minutes of both our PGs next season? NVE is looking really good right now.

drivanroca
08-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Pop... sign another PG???

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-10-2005, 09:16 PM
The San Antonio Spurs star has a tendon problem in his right knee, but resting him is only a precaution.

Well, gotta hand it to the French - they have the whole not applying common sense thing down pat.

Tony should be in San Antonio working with Chip, not busting his ass in France playing for a team that couldn't show a pair collectively last time they were in international play.

picnroll
08-10-2005, 09:22 PM
So who's Chip working with, the coyote?

Solid D
08-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Pop: "Take it easy the first week and give them a good reason to sit you."
Tony: "Like what, Pop?"
Pop: "Patellar Tendonitis, of course."
Tony: "Oui."

Vashner
08-11-2005, 02:41 AM
He has to do it to stay in the running for the next Olympics Pop already talked about this at end of the season. He does not want TP doing it but it would not be fair to leave him out of the next games.

OM_fever
08-11-2005, 02:43 AM
Come on,

International games are first really usefull to get experience and an more important role, gain confidence, and secondly how can you ask for one Spurs' player not to be part of their national squad? I remember you were proud having Timmy played in the Olympics when so many NBA players were to lazy / scary...

To me, whatever is your status, you should be glad representing your country. Sport is the only way to get international competition which is not war. Each nation can participate and enjoy beat the others without using weapons!

I know, I understand the fact that you don't want any of your players injuried, but please imagine all french fans how disappointed they could have been if Tony didn't come?

Concerning the french team chemistry, I agree for the Olympics competition we had a problem of commitment. Two groups were living together without being even respectfull. Some of them were lacking professionalism, like Moiso... (did any one of you know what he is doing?)

Try please to figure out how boring & chocking is to see all of our international players playing in NBA not coming in "Les Bleus" (even Petro, not already a proven player didn't accept is selection). We face the same case in France with football players, those who play in England face difficulty because their team would like to retain them. But they highly beneficiate on the gain of experience, and when you only take international player, you need to accept that those players may play for their national team...

stéphane
08-11-2005, 03:07 AM
anyway we don't need TP to get one of the six spots, we just need him to win the euro...
wait we want to win. go to hell mates. he's gonna play unless he's really injured.

xcoriate
08-11-2005, 03:21 AM
Tony is SUCH an Idiot!!

Rest only games that matter are the NBA why the fuck would he want to be so selfish as to represent his country. What a dumbfuck.

God his gonna get injured he'll probably never play again in the NBA. TP is so god damn selfish. Patriotism sucks. Mother fucker.

[/sarcasm]

I dont see the problem...

Bit of national pride. If I was in the NBA I would still be playing for my national team every year they asked.

TheTruth
08-11-2005, 03:25 AM
The flaming he would get from his country if he didn't play is nothing compared to what us here on the board will throw at him for playing.

OM_fever
08-11-2005, 03:49 AM
And if he step up, you know his role in French national team is even more important that the one he has with the Spurs. He can gain confidence, especially in his shoot and gain leadership, which is hard to get when you play alongside Tim & Manu!

I don't want him to be injuried, but we are not speaking about 82 games! We're speaking about 6 games max... I agree, I would like him to rest & work on his shoot, but he could do it after coming back & he would have the opportunity to rest at the season start. Spurs is one of the most complete team in this league, Beno could take part of his time against a lot of team which don't get someone like Billups... and we have other players to handle the ball and play the point like Barry or even Manu.

So please let pleased French! :elephant

14dave
08-11-2005, 05:36 AM
Hey guys, you seriously make me laugh!! You said heés selfish because he wants to represent his contry!! For you Patriotic=selfish Ahahahah, we saw it last Olympics games and world championship with all US stars who doesn't want to play for their contry!!
In France, when you can represent your contry and wear the colors of France, you are so proud and glad!!!
Seriously I'm a big spurs fan and an ultimate Tony's Fan, but I really wants him in the french national team! He's the key of this team, and I should be very disapointed if he doesn't play! Tony love his team (France ) like he loves SPURS, and he gives all his heart to play with both!I hope you can understand that!
Sorry for my english

OM_fever
08-11-2005, 06:26 AM
Actually 14dave I think XCoriate was kiding french guys around here. In this forum, they were the first to be upset by the US selection, with all those players finding false excuses not to go.
But sometimes it's true that when it's your turn to take a risk (like the possibility of getting injured) you seem a little bit scared and reluctant. But everyone out here now how much national team can help people, look at Manu!

And Tony will maybe be once a major PG (I mean, in the top 3), but not yet. In France, he is the PG, nothing less, and is a great star, the best paid player (above Zidane which is unbelievable for any french) of all sports. This status is due to his NBA performance but if he 's not part of the national team, he will lose his support from his "native" country (I know he was born in Belgium if my memory is correct). He wants to be a super star, and he is already one in France. Let him appreciate it and help us qualify to the world championship, in order to play against the US!

boutons
08-11-2005, 06:38 AM
14dave, absolutely right. Spurs fans dump on non-Spurs players who don't play for their country.

NIMBY-ism.

It's just like shrub and dickhead. They are all for fighting wars, but they evaded fighting a war when they were young, and as fathers, they are not signing up their family members to go die in the war they started in Iraq.

Tim did it. Manu did it. Pop coached it. There's no good reason for not supporting Tony for playing for France.

xcoriate
08-11-2005, 06:49 AM
14Dave and other french people who may not have understood my post.

What I origionally said was sarcasm so dont take it literally. I am agreeing with your point. :)

Secondly Australian sport is ideal in that people want to represent our country I find the situation in the US sad frankly.

Anyway this was the important part of my post and the bit that represents my view... the rest was just me taking the piss.

I dont see the problem...

Bit of national pride. If I was in the NBA I would still be playing for my national team every year they asked.

14dave
08-11-2005, 07:19 AM
Thanx Boutons, last year in Olympics games I wanted to see Tim and Manu at their best, because they are Spurs and il like them! I was very proud to see Tim playing with this team, when other stars in the league wasn't here! And even more proud to see Manu win gold medal!! All our international player represent also the Spurs and fan's pride when they play with their country!
Of cours it's a risk to be injuried or to have a bad shape at a moment in the following season!
But as a fans Spurs we have to support Tony or Beno, or Rasho this summer for the Eurobasket like Tim and Manu last year!
I wish him the best, Tony you are my man!!!

1Parker1
08-11-2005, 07:53 AM
How did Tony get Tendonitis in his knee? Was that something from the regular season, or did it occur in the offseason? Because I hadn't realized he'd started practicing/working out or whatever.

WalterBenitez
08-11-2005, 08:23 AM
How did Tony get Tendonitis in his knee? Was that something from the regular season, or did it occur in the offseason? Because I hadn't realized he'd started practicing/working out or whatever.

You know Eva... :blah

boutons
08-11-2005, 08:26 AM
"How did Tony get Tendonitis in his knee"

By playing basketball. He had it already in March. Remember, he sat out a game to rest it. It's very common. Watch how many players on the bench ice their knees. Remember the picture of Amare in the lockerroom with his feet in a tub of ice water?

I don't know how much rest Tony's given his legs since 23 June, but it's really unfortunate his tendonitis gets mentioned in mid-August, because t's pretty hard to shake during the season.

smeagol
08-11-2005, 08:37 AM
FUCK THE OTHER GAMES THE ONLY GAME THAT COUNTS IS THE NBA ALL ELSE IS NOTHING
:rolleyes

picnroll
08-11-2005, 08:47 AM
When it comes to basketball it's Spurs > mother > country.

Most here didn't want TD to play in the Olympics either.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-11-2005, 08:58 AM
There's no good reason for not supporting Tony for playing for France.

Yeah, it's not like he needs to be in SA working with the coach we hired largely to help him improve his woefully inconsistent jumper.

And it's not like he's not sporting tendinitis serious enough to have him sit out practice in August.

The tendinitis thing alone is pretty maddening, dude needs to be resting.

And spare me all the French pride on this thread. Like I said, the last time Tony represented his country in qualifying was a complete charlie foxtrot (c.f.).

Until those guys over there figure out how to play like a team, I'd rather not see Tony over there risking his season (we are going to be paying him just under 10 mil this coming season) for a team that doesn't know how to play like one.

stéphane
08-11-2005, 09:32 AM
Yeah, it's not like he needs to be in SA working with the coach we hired largely to help him improve his woefully inconsistent jumper.

you gotta live with it dude...
keep whining, he'll play just because representing your country > everything
see the good things in it. keep searching, i bet you'll find a couple... even your little brain will... ;)

picnroll
08-11-2005, 09:45 AM
I wonder what Parker would give up first $66 million or representing his country?

Bruno
08-11-2005, 09:46 AM

Parker says he will work his jumpshot with the french coach

And it's not like he's not sporting tendinitis serious enough to have him sit out practice in August.

The tendinitis thing alone is pretty maddening, dude needs to be resting.

That's why he get some resting time in August. French coach take care of him.

And spare me all the French pride on this thread. Like I said, the last time Tony represented his country in qualifying was a complete charlie foxtrot (c.f.).

Until those guys over there figure out how to play like a team, I'd rather not see Tony over there risking his season (we are going to be paying him just under 10 mil this coming season) for a team that doesn't know how to play like one.

You don't know the french team.
It's difficult to play like a team when Moiso and TAW belong to it.
Now they are gone and rigaudeau is back, France will maybe not win but it's a real team this year.

picnroll
08-11-2005, 09:48 AM

Great because outside shooting is such a strength of the French team. Now his shot will be really fucked up.

Bruno
08-11-2005, 09:56 AM
Great because outside shooting is such a strength of the French team. Now his shot will be really fucked up.

When you don't know, say nothing please.
Do you know Fred Fauthoux or Antoine Rigaudeau ?
The weakness of the french team is the lack of big PF/C.

Rescueone
08-11-2005, 10:18 AM
The Spurs don't OWN tony! they just are paying for his services during the season. What he does during the off season is his business. If the Spurs didn't want him to play ball during the off season for his country, they should've stated that in his contract. Tony is a grown man, he can do whatever he wants to do. I see representing ones country in any form as a honorable thing to do. I wish more American all star players would step up and represent America. This, coming from an American military member. It's only a GAME! if he get's injured, so what! He will heal. Getting shot at and seeing friends die in Iraq make worrying about Tony's knee meaningless. Americans place athletes as gods and are untouchable. They're humans, just like you and I. If I were in his shoes, I'd play BASKETBALL for my country with pride. I'll have comfort knowing that I wouldn't have to live in a tent, get shot at, see people around me soaked in blood because that was my job. Playing BASKETBALL for ones country is just a pleasure. I hope I put some perspective on this subject!

picnroll
08-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Pietrus, Diaw, Parker are NBA players who have all yet to develop anywhere near consistent NBA outside shots. We saw Rigaudeau play for Dallas, well for five minutes anyways.European players coming to the NBA are noted for their shooting, but not French players to date. Sorry but I'd rather have Chip working with Parker than some French coach and then Chip having to undo what this Frecnh coach has spent the summer doing.

picnroll
08-11-2005, 10:26 AM
The Spurs don't OWN tony! they just are paying for his services during the season. What he does during the off season is his business. In terms of playing basketball, skiing, hang gliding, riding a motorcycle and various other activities I suspect that Parker's activities are contractually "owned" by the Spurs. Spurs likely gave him permission to play for France.

Solid D
08-11-2005, 10:41 AM
The French have better backspin on their tires than they do on their jumpshots.

:smokin

Bruno
08-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Pietrus, Diaw, Parker are NBA players who have all yet to develop anywhere near consistent NBA outside shots. We saw Rigaudeau play for Dallas, well for five minutes anyways.European players coming to the NBA are noted for their shooting, but not French players to date. Sorry but I'd rather have Chip working with Parker than some French coach and then Chip having to undo what this Frecnh coach has spent the summer doing.

French Basketball is not only 3 players.
Rigaudeau carreer is not five minute with Dallas.
You don't know the french coach.
When you don't know, don't speak.

picnroll
08-11-2005, 11:02 AM
When you don't know, don't speak.
Thanks for the advice but how about you gfy instead. :spin

weebo
08-11-2005, 11:04 AM
I agree with most of the French posters here. Its not only about playing basketball but also about representing your way of life (family, ideology, etc.). Unfortunately, most USA born players, as do some people here, don't see it that way. I really do think that its a condemnation on our own way of life when players like KG or Shaq refuse to represent us in sport. I hope Tony is not seriously injured and plays well for his country. He, like Timmy and Manu, have proven that there is more to their careers than getting paid.

WalterBenitez
08-11-2005, 11:43 AM
I agree with most of the French posters here. Its not only about playing basketball but also about representing your way of life (family, ideology, etc.). Unfortunately, most USA born players, as do some people here, don't see it that way. I really do think that its a condemnation on our own way of life when players like KG or Shaq refuse to represent us in sport. I hope Tony is not seriously injured and plays well for his country. He, like Timmy and Manu, have proven that there is more to their careers than getting paid.

I DO agree with you, this is a controversial issue ... but also a cultural difference among countries, mostly of the world see "playing for the National Team" as an unique opportunity to represent its country just for the honor not for $$$. :angel

Anyway I hope TP doesn't get hurt, play well and I am interested in watching him playing against Beno :blah

14dave
08-11-2005, 02:53 PM
http://www.tp9.net/en/itw.php?id=80
Taking my time
Tony, how is going with the national team ?

With a sore knee, I have been resting for a while. I finally got to practice yesterday morning. I must be careful, hence taking my time. I only trained for 20 minutes or so. I need to get back in the rhythm slowly, without speeding things up. I managed to work some cardio in order to get back in shape.

When do you foresee being fit to play ?

I think in four or five days. As the European championships are in more than a month (September 16-25), I am being patient. The preparation is extremely long and I have some time ahead of me to get back to my peak.

How did address this with the coach Claude Bergeaud ?

It went very simply as I have nothing to hide. Claude knows that Gregg Popovich (San Antonio’s head coach) did not want me to participate in the Euro 2005. At the end of July, « Pop » told me that I’d better pass on the Euro and rest in order to work on my knee tendonitis. Personally, this was out of the question. We thus found a compromise. I will rest and slowly get back into training in the upcoming weeks.

You had never talked about this injury before…

What purpose would this serve ? It is not me to complain in the press. I took the pain during many weekends last season even if the pain was at some point extremely hard. Following with the double OT win at Golden State in April I was telling you that my knees were whistling… The pain dates back to that moment and with the frequency of the games it was not better with time. I have had some treatment for a good month now and with rest, I know that all will get back in order.

How would you describe the atmosphere with team France ?

Excellent as we are all getting along. Frankly, I am extremely happy to get back with the team. We are all motivated with a lot of envy. Regarding Antoine (Rigaudeau), I am not worried we will work together with our eyes closed. He knows how to play basketball and he understands the game extremely well. It will be a great challenge to play together.

The life with the national team must be a change from what you know in the NBA…

It is bizarre ! (Laughs) To the opposite of the NBA, we are taking all our lunches together. We have a few mandatory meetings during the day and one must on time all the time. There are a lot of little things that make for some good changes compared to the NBA.

Will you on the court next week against Belgium ?

I think I will play on game two on Tuesday. You won’t see me more than 10 or 15 minutes but chances are you will see me.

picnroll
08-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Spurs better have a good backup PG this year.

Kori Ellis
08-11-2005, 03:04 PM
It doesn't sound so bad to me. Pop wanted him to rest. He didn't want to skip the tourney. So he's going to play limited games and limited minutes.

picnroll
08-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Well see. The French coaches won't give two craps about Parker's knee if the games are on the line.

1Parker1
08-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Well, at least he's willing to compromise with Pop. How many other players in the league are that flexible and that close with their coach that they heed their advice?

CaptainLate
08-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Nothing like having one of the big 3 get hurt this summer.

Damnt Tony sit it out for god's sake.

These guys (TD, Manu and TP) just don't get it. You're being paid millions to play for the Spurs. The NBA season is not conducive to playing serious b-ball year round. Rest your damn bodies, guys, so we can finally have a repeat title team so people will start using the "D" word along with the Celtics ad Lakers.

CaptainLate
08-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Bit of national pride...

Truly, sports fans (and sports personalities) are so ignorant of global politics and what the hell is seriously going on in the world, as evident by the pathetic jingoism shown whenever this topic of playing for one's country comes up.

diego
08-11-2005, 05:54 PM
actually, I'm a harsh critic of parker but I respect him more for playing for his national team, especially because the french team sucks. Its not like hes doing it for fun or glory!

and what the hell does what is "seriously going on in the world" and "global politics" have to do with being proud to represent you country? Shit, if the players (or us for that matter) were concerned with that there would be no such thing as sports.

If those of you complaining are seriously concerned with the health of professional basketball players you should be directing your complaints at Stern for promoting expansion and having a ridiculously long 82 game season wherein players play as many as 5-6 games a week.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-11-2005, 06:25 PM

Considering the shooting prowess of French players to date, that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

And spare me the Rigaudeau talk, the guy was a money shooter BEFORE he joined Team France.

With a sore knee, I have been resting for a while. I finally got to practice yesterday morning. I must be careful, hence taking my time. I only trained for 20 minutes or so. I need to get back in the rhythm slowly, without speeding things up. I managed to work some cardio in order to get back in shape.

So he's out of shape, has a sore knee going back nearly six months, and is going to be seeing the bulk of his PT less than a month before the season starts.

Greaaaaaat. I hope Barry is ready to see some time at point this year. :depressed

Bruno
08-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Considering the shooting prowess of French players to date, that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

And spare me the Rigaudeau talk, the guy was a money shooter BEFORE he joined Team France.

So he's out of shape, has a sore knee going back nearly six months, and is going to be seeing the bulk of his PT less than a month before the season starts.

Greaaaaaat. I hope Barry is ready to see some time at point this year. :depressed

You don't improve your jumpshot in one month. Tony spent last summer in SA and he works his jumpshot : does he improve his jumpshot early this year ? No on contrary, he was awful in the first months of this season.

Tony knows the motion he must do for a jumpshot. He try to do it but it doesn't work because you must not think of your motion when you do a jumpshot. During the second half of the season, he forget what he has learned and slighty improve his jumpshot.

To improve his jumpshot, Tony need a lot of practice and time.

The european championship, it's only 10 days in september and some games before where tony won't have a lot of PT if he is not enough healthy.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-11-2005, 07:17 PM
You don't improve your jumpshot in one month.

August + September = two months...

Tony spent last summer in SA and he works his jumpshot

And Chip was there too, right?

Tony knows the motion he must do for a jumpshot. He try to do it but it doesn't work because you must not think of your motion when you do a jumpshot.

Yeah, and shooting 500 shots a day with Chip obviously wouldn't have helped him as much as having to worry about practice and games over there.

where tony won't have a lot of PT if he is not enough healthy.

Again, the coaches in Europe could GAF about the NBA, particularly for a team that is feeling the heat for its abysmal attempt at making the Olympics in '04. They'll run Tony 40 minutes a night if they think that's what it takes to pull this out.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
08-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Tendinitis is a chronical injury, even if Tony sits out for Eurobasket, he could end with his knee in a worst shape than if he plays in those six games. The French coaching staff will definitely look after him, the last thing they want is their star player to get injured, and create another diplomatic incident between the U.S.A. and France. :lol

This competition may actually be a good thing for Tony. He will carry the burden of being the major star in his team, just like those two double overtime games during the regular season when Tim and Manu were out. He will play against collapsed zones which will force him to shoot from beyond the arc. If he makes a good shot selection and hits them, and the French team advances, it may boost his morale the way it did with Manu.

Oh, and for the record, I agree: country> anything else.

If the NBA doesn't like it that way, then they should stop looking for foreign talent, because there are very few players who would decline their national team call-up.

Bruno
08-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Aggie,
Even if Chip was not in SA last summer, I think there were somebody in the staff who was able to help tony. Chip will not make miracle. The french coach respects the nba. Last year, Tony stay in SA and didn't make the qualification for the euro with france : the french coach agreed.
Another example, the french coach went to SA this year to speak with tony about the french team.
Maybe TAU owner GAF to SA but not the french coach.

xcoriate
08-12-2005, 03:52 AM
Truly, sports fans (and sports personalities) are so ignorant of global politics and what the hell is seriously going on in the world, as evident by the pathetic jingoism shown whenever this topic of playing for one's country comes up.

Are you kidding here?

Apparently I'm ignorant of the worlds issues because I believe its a good thing Tony is representing his country in the sport of bassketball.

Seriously. Ass clown.

Kori Ellis
08-12-2005, 11:04 AM
Problem? Knee? I immediately called Spurs GM RC Buford to get the latest.

It turns out that it’s no big deal. Yes, the Spurs know about it. Their doctors have even examined Tony. MRI results were negative. Parker is rehabbing, but strictly as a precautionary measure.

http://www.woai.com/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=1948F078-4796-4F7A-80DA-FA747ADD4901