PDA

View Full Version : What Are Your Un-Popular Music Opinions?

mclinejr
05-13-2014, 11:09 PM
I've seen this done on a few other forums. All you do is share any music opinions that typically contradict popular opinion. I'll go first.

1. The Beatles Suck.

2. Chiodos' best album is Illuminaudio. Brandon Bolmer owns Craig Owens in every way.

3. Kurt Cobain is one of the most overrated musicians of all time.

I'll post more if this catches on.

Infinite_limit
05-13-2014, 11:48 PM
Dark Side of the Moon was Pink Floyds 3rd best Album

Alice in Chains was the finest Grunge band

Puff Daddy killed Rap

70's & 90's were the golden ages of Music

Finest Albums of the 90's were Siamese Dream, Achtung Baby & Ok Computer

DD
05-14-2014, 12:39 AM

Puff Daddy killed Rap

Almost 100% spot on...Not crazy about Achtung Baby but the rest of this post goes hard in the paint.

Avante
05-14-2014, 02:16 AM
Punk totally sucks, 100% bad.

Me and two drunk buddies could master the Ramones stuff in a few hours.

Greg Oden
05-14-2014, 02:20 AM
Eric Johnson is the best guitarist from Texas.

spurraider21
05-14-2014, 04:02 AM
un-popular? well based on my age group, i'm pretty against the grain... i'm not a fan of electronica unless im wasted tbh, in which case its fine. i enjoy rock music that actually includes guitar riffs, which is surprisingly unpopular among my age group :lol

more generally speaking, i agree with Infinite Limit on Alice in Chains being the best grunge band.
guns n roses is largely unbearable besides appetite for destruction

monosylab1k
05-14-2014, 09:12 AM
70's hard rock (Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, etc) is incredibly overrated.

leemajors
05-14-2014, 10:06 AM
70's hard rock (Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, etc) is incredibly overrated.

after college it was hard to keep listening to it, overdid it.

cantthinkofanything
05-14-2014, 10:14 AM
STP>Pearl Jam

cantthinkofanything
05-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Further

AIC>Soundgarden>STP>Nirvana>Pearl Jam

Two10Whitey
05-14-2014, 10:33 AM
Country is awful.
Pac and Biggie were not the best rappers ever.
98% of mainstream music is trash.
Remember Papa Roach? They were wack.
RATM > your favorite rock band.
Lincoln Park is annoying.
Hip-hop isn't dead.. Take a trip into the underground.

Fpoonsie
05-14-2014, 10:48 AM
RHCP are fucking garbage.
90's alt rock >>>>
The greatest rap song ever made is "Still Pimpin Pens" by Lil Keke (feat DJ Screw).

leemajors
05-14-2014, 10:52 AM
RHCP are fucking garbage.
90's alt rock >>>>
The greatest rap song ever made is "Still Pimpin Pens" by Lil Keke (feat DJ Screw).

I'd put RATM in the garbage bin too.

Fpoonsie
05-14-2014, 11:06 AM
I'd put RATM in the garbage bin too.

Jesus god, yes.

DD
05-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Enya's Shepherd Moons album is the greatest bathroom dump music in history

The Gemini Method
05-14-2014, 11:13 AM

Puff Daddy killed Rap

I agree with you on Siamese and OK Computer. Those were the two defining albums of the 90's along with Vs. or 10.

The Gemini Method
05-14-2014, 11:15 AM
I agree with you on Siamese and OK Computer. Those were the two defining albums of the 90's along with Vs. or 10.

John Fogerty's clash with the rest of CCR cost the band a spot in the upper echelon of greatest bands ever.

leemajors
05-14-2014, 11:28 AM
John Fogerty's clash with the rest of CCR cost the band a spot in the upper echelon of greatest bands ever.

I think they're easily still there, just look at what they put out in a very short amount of time - Bayou Country, Green River, and Willy and the Poor Boys were all released in '69 alone.

The Gemini Method
05-14-2014, 11:32 AM
I think they're easily still there, just look at what they put out in a very short amount of time - Bayou Country, Green River, and Willy and the Poor Boys were all released in '69 alone.

Very true. I think, though, if they would've stop bitching and worked together longer, they would've reached that atmosphere where they'd be mentioned with the likes of the overrated Beatles, Stones, and whatever group you want to lump in that discussion. Yeah, I know they were different, but like the hits you mentioned, it would've been dominance for a good portion of the 70's.

leemajors
05-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Very true. I think, though, if they would've stop bitching and worked together longer, they would've reached that atmosphere where they'd be mentioned with the likes of the overrated Beatles, Stones, and whatever group you want to lump in that discussion. Yeah, I know they were different, but like the hits you mentioned, it would've been dominance for a good portion of the 70's.

I was talking about the albums, not just the songs. It's pretty ridiculous to think about - they put out 7 albums in ~4 years and were done.

The Gemini Method
05-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I was caught up with the songs...I was envisioning how often my mom used to enjoy their music. So yeah, 7 albums is usually a solid career. They put out 7 albums in less than half a decade. They all were solid, too. But then again, back then musicians had time to craft. Not in a world where you just pump out album every other year and hope that you'll get at least 2 hits off the album. Cray.

mclinejr
05-14-2014, 12:41 PM
un-popular? well based on my age group, i'm pretty against the grain... i'm not a fan of electronica unless im wasted tbh, in which case its fine. i enjoy rock music that actually includes guitar riffs, which is surprisingly unpopular among my age group :lol

more generally speaking, i agree with Infinite Limit on Alice in Chains being the best grunge band.
guns n roses is largely unbearable besides appetite for destruction

Yeah, mainstream music is weird right now. There seems to be a split between Electronica (Lorde) music and Folk Revival (Mumford & Sons). In my junior high days, Nu-Metal (Linkin Park, Korn, etc.) was popular and in my high school days, Screamo (The Used) was popular. I'm wondering how the mainstream will change over the next few years. I hope rock music makes its way back to the forefront.

spurraider21
05-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Yeah, mainstream music is weird right now. There seems to be a split between Electronica (Lorde) music and Folk Revival (Mumford & Sons). In my junior high days, Nu-Metal (Linkin Park, Korn, etc.) was popular and in my high school days, Screamo (The Used) was popular. I'm wondering how the mainstream will change over the next few years. I hope rock music makes its way back to the forefront.
Yeah people used to try to convince me that slipknot was a great rock band :lol Linkin park was a big fad but they've been completely awful since transformers tbh

The Gemini Method
05-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Lorde is not electronica--its more popish in nature. Electronica includes house, prog house, drum and bass, dubstep, acid house, sketch house, techno, ambien, psych trance. Lorde would probably be more hipster indie pop than anything remotely related to Electronica. Mainstream servers a purpose and a time and not everything underground is worthwhile or better than what you can find in the norm.

spurraider21
05-14-2014, 12:51 PM
I think Bach was trying too hard

cantthinkofanything
05-14-2014, 12:54 PM
Yeah people used to try to convince me that slipknot was a great rock band :lol Linkin park was a big fad but they've been completely awful since transformers tbh

My stepson used to listen to some scream shit. I'd always make fun of the music and he'd get defensive and explain that the singers actually went trough some kind of vocal training so their voices wouldn't give out and they wouldn't damage their cords. Also..."this is the one of the fastest kick drum players in the world"...or "fastest guitar player in the world". I'd always counter with..."still sounds like shit".

spurraider21
05-14-2014, 12:58 PM
The best "fast guitar" guy imo is yngwie malmsteen... Edgy for my taste but I'm in the mood once in a while

leemajors
05-14-2014, 01:03 PM
The best "fast guitar" guy imo is yngwie malmsteen... Edgy for my taste but I'm in the mood once in a while

Shawn Lane and Buckethead are up there too. I think I have Far Beyond the Sun by Ingwie on my comp somewhere

spurraider21
05-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Shawn Lane and Buckethead are up there too. I think I have Far Beyond the Sun by Ingwie on my comp somewhere
Totally forgot about Buckethead

The Gemini Method
05-14-2014, 01:14 PM
Illmatic was the best hip-hop album of the 90's.

spurraider21
05-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Wolfmother is the best rock album of the last 20 years

ohmwrecker
05-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Iron Maiden sucked after Paul Di'anno left.
If Nikki Sixx had murdered his girlfriend and died of an overdose right after Too Fast For Love came out, Motley Crue would be as critically revered as the Sex Pistols.
Post Bon Scott AC/DC is mostly shitty.
Generation X was better than most UK punk bands.
The Cramps are better than the Misfits.

mclinejr
05-14-2014, 02:33 PM
My stepson used to listen to some scream shit. I'd always make fun of the music and he'd get defensive and explain that the singers actually went trough some kind of vocal training so their voices wouldn't give out and they wouldn't damage their cords. Also..."this is the one of the fastest kick drum players in the world"...or "fastest guitar player in the world". I'd always counter with..."still sounds like shit".

Yeah, I used to be one of those people that would defend screaming by saying, "Those people are actually talented!" In all fairness, there are talented singers in the genre. You just have to find them. You're right, though. Fast playing doesn't make the music good.

spurraider21
05-14-2014, 02:47 PM
Post Bon Scott AC/DC is mostly shitty.
sure, if you ignore the fact that their very next album went on the become one of the if not the most iconic rock album of all time

ohmwrecker
05-14-2014, 03:23 PM
sure, if you ignore the fact that their very next album went on the become one of the if not the most iconic rock album of all time

And then what happened? There is a reason I said "mostly".

spurraider21
05-14-2014, 03:31 PM
And then what happened? There is a reason I said "mostly".
yeah i could see that. i guess it would be fair to say that post back in black ac/dc was shitty in general, outside of a couple of numbers here and there

Big Empty
05-14-2014, 06:47 PM
STP>Pearl Jamwooohooo agreed

Big Empty
05-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Dave Mathews Band is super super boring

Infinite_limit
05-14-2014, 07:04 PM
Listening to Coldplay is not ghey

MI21
05-14-2014, 08:38 PM
Illmatic was the best hip-hop album of the 90's.

That's probably one of most popular opinions tbh

DAF86
05-14-2014, 08:58 PM
The Ramones suck ass.
Eminem is still decent.

Bender
05-14-2014, 09:52 PM
Iron Maiden sucked after Paul Di'anno left.
I thought I was the only one who thought that. everyone I've ever said that to, said I was crazy

mrsmaalox
05-14-2014, 09:57 PM

Sounds like many conversations I've had with my 16 year old :lol

SpursRock20
05-14-2014, 11:19 PM
Stone Temple Pilots are the best rock band from the '90s and aren't even close to being an imitation to Pearl Jam.

Clipper Nation
05-14-2014, 11:29 PM
Tupac and Biggie were overrated, Rakim is the greatest rapper of all time and didn't get nearly enough mainstream promotion....

Lil B is the best thing to happen to hip-hop in ages, he actually takes risks and challenges the norms of the genre....

ohmwrecker
05-15-2014, 12:39 AM
I thought I was the only one who thought that. everyone I've ever said that to, said I was crazy

Killers kills.

.G.
05-15-2014, 12:26 PM
All music is the blues. All of it.

White people have no business playing the blues ever, at all, under any circumstances. Ever, ever, ever. What the fuck do white people have to be blue about? "Banana Republic ran out of khakis?", "The espresso machine is jammed?", "Hootie and the Blowfish are breaking up?".

White people ought to understand it's their job to "give" people the blues, not to get them. And certainly not to sing or play them. I'll give you a little tip about the blues, folks: it's not enough to know which notes to play. You need to know why they need to be played.

- Carlin

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-15-2014, 09:28 PM
- Hip Hop died around 1993-94, most of everything recorded afterwards is dross.

- Grunge was shite and the US missed on much more interesting and creative music being made at the time (Stone Roses, Britpop, etc)

- Queens of The Stone Age is in the top 3 for XXI century bands.

- Most metal nowadays suck. They have completely forgotten about groove. Zep, Sabbath, Purple, Faith No More, Living Colour, early Metallica... all had some funky vibes in the bass and rhythm.

- David Bowie is overrated. Good, but waaaay overrated. In fact, looking "arty" has overhyped Bjork, David Byrne, and countless others.

- Kiss were awful. A huge marketing machine and a handful of decent tunes.

- A large chunk of the 80's sucked, big time.

- Disco wasn't so bad. Not as cool as early 70's funk, but much better than all the synth-pop crap that came afterwards.

- There are many good bands making music nowadays, it's just that there's too many information circulating and you don't get them fed in a spoon. You've gotta dig, the tools are all there.

- Mainstream pop charts have been occupied by crap most of the time. There's just more crap now. Justin Bieber, Kesha, Miley Cyrus and the likes are no different than The Carpenters, Barry Manilow or Bon fookin Jovi.

Nbadan
05-16-2014, 01:12 AM
Forget George, give me Willie...

Nbadan
05-16-2014, 01:16 AM
Def Leppard was the best hair band, not Motley Crew...

ohmwrecker
05-17-2014, 08:58 AM
There's a difference between unpopular and shitty, tbh.

ohmwrecker
05-17-2014, 09:09 AM
Dark Side of the Moon was Pink Floyds 3rd best Album - I will agree with this since I only like early Floyd.

Alice in Chains was the finest Grunge band - I would say AIC is more metal than grunge. Mudhoney was the best grunge band.

Puff Daddy killed Rap - probably

70's & 90's were the golden ages of Music - probably, but without what happened in the sixties they probably would have sucked.

Finest Albums of the 90's were Siamese Dream, Achtung Baby & Ok Computer - Ugh, you are out of your mind. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, Wildflowers, Summerteeth, Bone Machine, Time Out Of Mind . . .

POPownsJackson
05-17-2014, 09:35 AM

Puff Daddy killed Rap

:toast

ohmwrecker
05-17-2014, 10:14 AM
I hate Mike Patton.

Venti Quattro
05-17-2014, 10:27 AM
80's and the 90's were the golden age of music, and then the Internet killed it

unleashbaynes
05-17-2014, 01:52 PM
Dave Mathews Band is super super boring

I was sitting in a bar in Dallas yesterday listening to some douche canoe go on about how great DMB is and how they were gonna go get stoned and go to his concert. Fucking geek.

Coincidentally, fuck the entire city of Dallas. Especially uptown. Holy shit is that place queer.

The Reckoning
05-17-2014, 02:07 PM
I was sitting in a bar in Dallas yesterday listening to some douche canoe go on about how great DMB is and how they were gonna go get stoned and go to his concert. Fucking geek.

Coincidentally, fuck the entire city of Dallas. Especially uptown. Holy shit is that place queer.

i pulled so much pussy in uptown just by showing up and being completely different than everyone there. love uptown :lol.

CitizenDwayne
05-17-2014, 02:19 PM
Not really unpopular, but the Smashing Pumpkins are a fucking trainwreck, with one of the worst singers in the history of music.

Creed and Korn weren't really all that bad.

Disco does not deserve its laughable rep.

Eminem was never good, and benefited greatly from being the 'great white hope' of rap.

Clipper Nation
05-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Eminem was never good, and benefited greatly from being the 'great white hope' of rap.
Eminem has always been overrated and got famous from blatantly ripping off Pharaohe Monch's flow and writing lyrics geared towards white suburban teenagers, but he was good on Infinite....

UZER
05-17-2014, 02:32 PM
Black "artist" lip sync as much as other "artist" but don't catch half the flak.

UZER
05-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Your favorite "artist / band" is a sell out in one way or another.

The Reckoning
05-17-2014, 02:43 PM
bob dylan's best album is blood on the tracks because it's least pretentious

neil young has the greatest body of work out of any musician in the 20th century

spurraider21
05-17-2014, 02:50 PM
A bit OT but I saw journey and Steve miller band last night. Underwhelming as fuck

mrsmaalox
05-17-2014, 04:43 PM
bob dylan's best album is blood on the tracks because it's least pretentious

neil young has the greatest body of work out of any musician in the 20th century

But that's gospel truth :)

redzero
05-17-2014, 11:22 PM
Welcome to Sky Valley is the best metal album ever.
Jay-Z is overrated.
Arcade Fire was never as good as people have made them out to be.
David Bowie is the best solo artist ever.
Young > Dylan

mclinejr
05-18-2014, 05:09 PM
Not really unpopular, but the Smashing Pumpkins are a fucking trainwreck, with one of the worst singers in the history of music.

Creed and Korn weren't really all that bad.

Disco does not deserve its laughable rep.

Whenever I bring up this argument, someone always says, "Dude, Siamese Dream....." That album is crap.

Ditto on Creed and Korn.

CitizenDwayne
05-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Jay-Z is overrated.
Arcade Fire was never as good as people have made them out to be.
David Bowie is the best solo artist ever.
Young > Dylan

:tu

dirk4mvp
05-18-2014, 09:50 PM
Big Boi is a better than Andre 3000

Venti Quattro
05-18-2014, 10:09 PM
MBDTF is Kanye's best album

mojorizen7
05-18-2014, 11:18 PM
Black music has been terrible for the most part since the 90's.

HI-FI
05-18-2014, 11:19 PM

Puff Daddy killed Rap

agree about DSOTM. I love Meddle moreso.

agree about AIC. I appreciate Layne even more now, no one can sing like him.

I think 80s is easily better than the 70s and 90s.

Personally I'll take Zooropa over Achtung. Achtung is very good, but damn I've played the living shit out of Zooropa. Then again, I've always preferred Unforgettable Fire over Joshua Tree.

valid opinions either way though.

Aztecfan03
05-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Nickleback isn't that bad. I don't listen to them but they get shit on undeservedly.

LakasRool4eva
05-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Eminem is not the greatest lyricologist who ever lived...........