PDA

View Full Version : Best PG in the game

cjw
05-14-2014, 12:16 AM
A PG doesn't make crippling decisions down the stretch. CP3 officially removed himself from consideration with that boneheaded three attempt in the backcourt and being anywhere near Russ' elbow. Then he doesn't even get a shot off.

TheRemix
05-14-2014, 01:32 AM
Should've just held on to the damn ball. That was their game to win. I feel like this series is over. Okc here we come

Sean Cagney
05-14-2014, 01:51 AM
Should've just held on to the damn ball. That was their game to win. I feel like this series is over. Okc here we come

More like SA here OKC comes and the Refs! Since the series starts in SA they will come to the Spurs HC and bring some refs with them.

chazley
05-14-2014, 05:09 AM
Chris Paul is the best PG in the league by a pretty wide margin. Last year you could make the case Parker was right there with him, but this year not even close.

testies
05-14-2014, 05:19 AM
Chris Paul is the best PG in the league by a pretty wide margin. Last year you could make the case Parker was right there with him, but this year not even close.

what the fuck did he do to prove that? throw a bunch of meaningless alley oops in regular season?

will_spurs
05-14-2014, 05:25 AM

It's not the first time he lost his cool at the end of the 4th to lose a game (remember the Gary Neal steal as CP3 was trying to avoid a backcourt violation). He is undisciplined, and his high assist rate comes mostly from handing the ball over to someone who's immediately going to chuck a contested shot (and pray it goes in).

The league has access to advanced metrics now, such as % of contested shots. I wonder how many of CP3 assists come from contested shots (meaning there's no real assist, it might as well be an ISO play).

EVAY
05-14-2014, 09:38 AM

Jalen Rose had a stat on Parker a couple of games ago that reported that he was one of 5 guards in the history of the NBA who 1) Had at least 3 rings, 2)had a Finals MVP, 3) shot around 50% for his career, and there was a 4th but I don't remember it right now. I think it was averaging 5 assists or something.

Two of other four to accomplish that were : Magic Johnson and Dwayne Wade. He named the others but I don't remember the names right now.

Parker is consistently under-rated on this board.

Texas_Ranger
05-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Playmaking wise yes, he's better than everyone else. But scoring wise guys like Parker, Westbrook, Curry are superior. I still think he's the best PG in the NBA.

Oh and Parker is also not really known as the best closer.

will_spurs
05-14-2014, 10:01 AM
Oh and Parker is also not really known as the best closer.

That's a reputation. CP3 has the reputation of being clutch and that means nothing when the game is actually on the line. That's the whole point of saying that CP3 is overrated and Parker is underrated: reputations.

r0drig0lac
05-14-2014, 10:09 AM
parker in the last two years clearly, nobody stood out this season, so by default cp3 has that post, in the playoffs so far has to go to Russell, the guy is a beast. If I'm starting a franchise, I'm going with rondo

EVAY
05-14-2014, 10:29 AM
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that Parker has outplayed CP3 several times when the teams play. Doesn't mean that CP3 is a bad pg, or that he isn't more valuable to his own team, but they each play within very different systems, imo.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-14-2014, 10:33 AM

Your grey is showing.

Jimcs50
05-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Got to hand it to CP3 for totally placing blame on himself, not refs. He said he made the worst decisions of his career in last minute of that game. He accepted the blame, 100%.

I respect that.

:toast

cd98
05-14-2014, 10:51 AM
TP's been the best point guard in the game for the last 4 years. Only the global media and a few disgruntled Parker haters on Spurstalk don't know that.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-14-2014, 10:54 AM
TP's been the best point guard in the game for the last 4 years. Only the global media and a few disgruntled Parker haters on Spurstalk don't know that.

:lmao what the hell have you been watching. He has an argument for maybe the last 2 years.

Jimcs50
05-14-2014, 10:57 AM
CP3 Stats for this year- 19 pts, 10.7 assists

TP- 16.7 pts 5.7 assists

Got to say, the stats point to Paul being better PG.

cd98
05-14-2014, 11:01 AM

TP- 16.7 pts 5.7 assists

Stats don't tell the whole story. Pop has had TP play less minutes to keep him fresh for the playoffs and to help him recover from playing basketball all summer. See if Paul played more or less minutes than TP. Also, who took more shots, and what was the shooting percentage? That said, Paul is a great point guard, but I'd rather have TP in a big game.

Jimcs50
05-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Nobody can watch all games, so stats is what most people use as measure of who is best at something.

boutons_deux
05-14-2014, 11:15 AM

TP- 16.7 pts 5.7 assists

... per 48 minutes?

Jimcs50
05-14-2014, 11:19 AM
... per 48 minutes?

That per 48 min stat is bullcrap. Baynes is better than Griffin according to that stat.

If Your PG can not play most of the game, then who cares if he is better than anyone. It's what you do for the whole game that really matters, right?

will_spurs
05-14-2014, 11:30 AM
If Your PG can not play most of the game, then who cares if he is better than anyone. It's what you do for the whole game that really matters, right?

Keep grasping at straws.

Jimcs50
05-14-2014, 11:31 AM
Keep grasping at straws.

You don't think 10.7 is better than 5.7 assists?

Jimcs50
05-14-2014, 11:34 AM
CP3 plays 35 mins per game (0.3 assists per min)

TP plays 29 mins ( 0.19 assists per min)

You lose the per 48 min arguement anyway

cjw
05-14-2014, 11:42 AM
CP3 plays 35 mins per game (0.3 assists per min)

TP plays 29 mins ( 0.19 assists per min)

You lose the per 48 min arguement anyway

Stats are so overblown. If you want to look purely at averages, Greivis Vazquez was the best PG in the league in 2012-13 (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2013_leaders.html). Paul is clearly one of the top few in the league but his assist numbers are in part a product of playing in a ball dominant role whereas TP plays in a motion offense with a lot of passing / hockey assists.

These stats are also what make people anoint Harden as the best SG in the league even though he's the basketball equivalent of a DH in baseball.

will_spurs
05-14-2014, 11:43 AM

This completely depends on the system. Watch the games and check how discombobulated the Clippers offense is, and how little CP3 actually sets his teammates up. Stagnant offense + pass by CP3 for an instantly jacked up shot by recipient is a great way to rack up assists, and yet have an offense that still mostly sucks.

ducks
05-14-2014, 11:45 AM

barkley just said tp was paul best leader

Jimcs50
05-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Yes stats don't tell story, but you're missing my point. The question is why is CP3 considered best PG. As I said nobody can watch every game in NBA to see who is best, people just have to look at stats. Case in point, Lebron is real MVP, but his stats were not as good as KD's so KD won MVP.

ducks
05-14-2014, 11:52 AM

tp has manu and he creates a lot also paul does not
also spurs have a more motion offensive

ducks
05-14-2014, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=Jimcs50;7328414]Yes stats don't tell story, but you're missing my point. The question is why is CP3 considered best PG. As I said nobody can watch every game in NBA to see who is best, people just have to look at stats. Case in point, Lebron is real MVP, but his stats were not as good as KD's so KD won MVP.[/QUOTE

if you go stats on mvp mj would have won more mvps
Durant was clearly the better player over james this year

Jimcs50
05-14-2014, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=Jimcs50;7328414]Yes stats don't tell story, but you're missing my point. The question is why is CP3 considered best PG. As I said nobody can watch every game in NBA to see who is best, people just have to look at stats. Case in point, Lebron is real MVP, but his stats were not as good as KD's so KD won MVP.[/QUOTE

if you go stats on mvp mj would have won more mvps

Durant was clearly the better player over james this year

Lebron is best player in the game

Jimcs50
05-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Just as TD was during his prime. He did not have best stats in league, but he was best player

testies
05-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Stats, lol

Tell me, mr.expert, why do 100% of NBA teams shit their pants and build up complex strategies to keep TP off the paint? He literally changes opponents arrangements on D, meanwhile Paul settles for fade away jumpers that are low percent.. Different type of players, one has 3 rings and was instrumental in 2, and last year should have his 4th, other has great commercials and stats

Jimcs50
05-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Stats, lol

Tell me, mr.expert, why do 100% of NBA teams shit their pants and build up complex strategies to keep TP off the paint? He's the paint master, meanwhile Paul never gets into it.. Different type of players, one has 3 rings and was instrumental in 2, and last year should have his 4th, other has great commercials and stats

I'm not saying CP# is better, I'm telling you why CP# is perceived to be best PG. Because most media look at stats, cuz they can't watch all games. That is my whole point. Get with the program and pay attention to me.

:)

Diego20
05-14-2014, 02:43 PM
what the fuck did he do to prove that? throw a bunch of meaningless alley oops in regular season?

19,1 points per game and 10.7 assist per game.

in2deep
05-14-2014, 03:09 PM
Just as TD was during his prime. He did not have best stats in league, but he was best player

Amen.

Parker's clutchness puts him head and shoulders above any other PG in the league.

here's to the Best Point Guard in the league Tony Parker

Clipper Nation
05-14-2014, 03:13 PM
I'd take Alphabrook over both at this point, tbh....

DrSteffo
05-14-2014, 03:21 PM
If Chris Paul is the best PG in the NBA it's not impressive at all.

crc21209
05-14-2014, 06:06 PM
Chris Paul may be the best PG in the league, but man he sure hasn't proven to be the most poised PG in the league when it matters most. He has constantly made mistake after mistake every year they make the Playoffs. That, and he always seems to be "hurt" when it matters most. As for Westbrook, I personally don't consider the guy to be a PG. He's a SG trying to play the PG position. There are no more pure PG's in the league, except maybe a guy like Rondo. Tony is definitely in the Top 5 though, maybe even Top 3 right now....

superjames1992
05-14-2014, 06:09 PM
In these playoffs, Tony Parker has been the best PG. No argument, tbqh.

During the regular season, that wasn't the case this year, though it was last season.

CP3 seems to have a knack for choking in various high-pressure situations.

hater
05-14-2014, 06:11 PM
Parker and it's not even close. This team goes as far as MVParker takes em.

Mikeanaro
05-14-2014, 06:20 PM
Right now TP, even when he is not my favorite PG I hope he can keep up the level to the end.
Clips were robbed but CP3 was made of paper yesterday.

gilmor
05-14-2014, 06:34 PM
Right now TP, even when he is not my favorite PG I hope he can keep up the level to the end.
Clips were robbed but CP3 was made of paper yesterday.

Who is your fav PG? Rin?

Mikeanaro
05-14-2014, 06:53 PM
Who is your fav PG? Rin?
CP3 but nobody remembers the whole ref job just the last calls, trolls remember CP3 chokinī (which is very true) but if refs were decent yesterday worst case scenario would be Clips winning by 10.
As a Spurs fan Im really happy with TP right now and I hope we get another trip to the finals.
Fuck OKC and of course Fuck Rin.

SpursFan86
05-14-2014, 07:21 PM

He was pretty close. He consistently ranked in the top 3 in PER, and considering PER largely ignores defensive impact, it's easy to say he was the best or close to it.

I'm sorry, but I have a really hard time seeing the argument for Parker > CP3. Ignore stats and cliches ("CP3 is a choker!"...give me a break, Parker has a knack for disappearing in the playoffs as well); what does Parker do better than CP3?

Playmaking - CP3
Ballhandling - CP3
Defense - CP3
Finishing at the rim - Parker
Shooting - CP3

What makes Parker better than CP3 aside from the fact that he's had more success...which, by the way, speaks more about the fact that Parker got to play with Duncan/Manu/Pop. I'm not trying to be a "Parker hater". I don't call him Enrique or any of that shit lol...I just really don't see how he's the best PG in the league.

DarrinS
05-14-2014, 07:30 PM
I wouldn't say CP# is a better ball handler.

DMC
05-14-2014, 08:30 PM
Chris Paul is infected with hero syndrome. Winning isn't enough, he wants to be greedy and try to be cute about it. He deserves it, every bit of it. Maybe though Cliff Paul showed up instead.

TheGreatYacht
11-08-2014, 11:58 PM
A PG doesn't make crippling decisions down the stretch. CP3 officially removed himself from consideration with that boneheaded three attempt in the backcourt and being anywhere near Russ' elbow. Then he doesn't even get a shot off.

I wish the Spurs traded Parker to the Clippers, so the Spurs can play with CLUTCH PAUL :tu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfcyp6xLIMY