PDA

View Full Version : Why the NBA Love for OKC, a.k.a. Meth Capital of America?? WTF???

Skull-1
05-14-2014, 12:35 AM
Why the love for the Seattle Supersonics, er, I mean, the OKC Blunder??

The only thing Oklahoma offers is Meth. WTF????

BanditHiro
05-14-2014, 12:49 AM
Sob story and they are trying to fabricate a rivalry between LeBron and Durant. Though i think the more and more bullshit officiating that goes their way the more and more the country will begin to detest the Thunder instead of liking them as the team that can stop the Heat.

KaiRMD1
05-14-2014, 12:51 AM
There are still plenty of people who think he Thunder are not ref dependent.

james evans
05-14-2014, 12:53 AM
this is teh clippers version of 2012 wcf game 6

MeloHype
05-14-2014, 12:55 AM
:lol

Mikeanaro
05-14-2014, 03:38 AM
I donīt have a clue, I understand the servant vs devil thing but come on help vs Grizz, vs Clips, MVP award crying to his Rasputia momma if you need all that help you are not that good... sorry if I burst someoneīs bubble.

Spurs9
05-14-2014, 08:43 AM
Its not about the city, its about the NBA trying to pull off a OKC Heat, MVP vs Forum MVP "hero" battle.

EVAY
05-14-2014, 09:03 AM
Spurs9 is right. It has nothing to do with the city.

The NBA markets celebrities and stars rather than the game of basketball. They want a finals between the two MVPs of the last several seasons.

As long as ONE of the teams in the finals is a big market, they are happy. If there ended up being a Pacers vs. Thunder, they may not be very happy at all.

TampaDude
05-14-2014, 09:21 AM
How do you think OKC pulls off those "amazing" comebacks? If you know that you can do whatever you want and you'll always get all the calls, it's easy to win.

Skull-1
05-14-2014, 11:46 AM
I detest the Thunder. Overrated bunch of preening jackasses.

CGD
05-14-2014, 12:00 PM
I'd have much more respect for OKC if they play a better brand of offense. The one-on-one, drive to the hoop, and hoping the refs bail you out on a miss is just painful to watch. Sure it's exciting at times during the regular season when your team is playing the Kings and getting 5 dunks a game, but it's painful to watch in the post-season when teams start to tighten things up of D. KD needs to make sure Brooks doesnt turn him into Melo 2.0, which in the long run is NOT a good thing.

benstanfield
05-14-2014, 12:23 PM
One could argue that their style of offense, much like Harden's, is conducive to drawing "contact" and getting to the line often. This would explain why Durant and Westbrook are the only ones on the team that always shoot 15 FTA in big games.

However that doesn't explain the momentum changing calls that are literally part of their gameplan now. Whenever their ISO offense isn't working you can count on charges, moving screens, traveling, and junk technicals being called on the other team. Deandre Jordan fouled out in the fourth quarter of a playoff game with like 4 minutes to go for a touch foul moving screen. Russell Westbrook literally wins the game at the free throw line for getting bailed out on a shit shot, the amount of contact being something that goes uncalled dozens of times per game. This sort of stuff is really inexplicable to me, I mean I don't think any of us really believe Silver is on the phone with the refs telling them to influence ball games. But there's almost no other explanation. I mean are we all having simultaneous confirmation bias, every single game?

Budkin
05-14-2014, 12:23 PM

Durant makes them relevant. In the 90's my other favorite team, the Orlando Magic were just as marketable because of Shaq and Penny Hardaway. Who gives a fuck about them now besides people with a connection to Orlando? No one. Watch what happens after he bolts as a FA.

Horse
05-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Look like they came from the circus ninja turtle westbrick, frogface jackson, butler looks like a little debo, brooks looks like a hobbit and kd is a pizza face crying ass faggot.

daslicer
05-14-2014, 01:14 PM
A lot of their popularity is a result of the hatred for Lebron and the Heat. The media has marketed Kevin Durant the last few years as the anti-Lebron which is what they have sold to a lot of casual fans. I read a lot of message boards after Durant won the MVP and most of the fan reactions were "Classy guy he deserves it over Lebron, fuck Lebron Kevin is better." Durant fans can't even describe why they like him other than that he is not Lebron. Most Durant fans are just Lebron haters that is the way I look at it. If the thunder go all the way to the finals and loses to Miami then their popularity will take a huge hit since they failed to take out the villain Lebron.

snickles
05-14-2014, 02:14 PM

others have stated the need for the NBA to manufacture stuperstars and rivalries. i also think the NBA needs to justify letting the sonics franchise get relocated. "hey look, the team sucked in seattle, but under new management in a new location theyre doing great....so it was a good move for the team!"

Clipper Nation
05-14-2014, 02:16 PM
A lot of their popularity is a result of the hatred for Lebron and the Heat. The media has marketed Kevin Durant the last few years as the anti-Lebron which is what they have sold to a lot of casual fans. I read a lot of message boards after Durant won the MVP and most of the fan reactions were "Classy guy he deserves it over Lebron, fuck Lebron Kevin is better." Durant fans can't even describe why they like him other than that he is not Lebron. Most Durant fans are just Lebron haters that is the way I look at it. If the thunder go all the way to the finals and loses to Miami then their popularity will take a huge hit since they failed to take out the villain Lebron.
Actual Durbeta fans don't exist, only LeBron haters and Kirbystan who need a new foodstamp collector to dickride now that their boy is done :lol

Skull-1
05-15-2014, 10:44 AM
others have stated the need for the NBA to manufacture stuperstars and rivalries. i also think the NBA needs to justify letting the sonics franchise get relocated. "hey look, the team sucked in seattle, but under new management in a new location theyre doing great....so it was a good move for the team!" Interesting points.

PingPong
05-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Get KD and the spurs will be the darlings of NBA too. It's all about marketing.

baseline bum
05-15-2014, 11:00 AM
Spurs9 is right. It has nothing to do with the city.

The NBA markets celebrities and stars rather than the game of basketball. They want a finals between the two MVPs of the last several seasons.

As long as ONE of the teams in the finals is a big market, they are happy. If there ended up being a Pacers vs. Thunder, they may not be very happy at all.

Miami is not big market though. It's the #16 TV market in the country, while Cleveland is #17.

Kleese
05-15-2014, 12:20 PM
I am stunned, absolutely stunned that anyone would invest their time and money into following something they truly believe was rigged or fixed.

I rank NBA conspiracy theorists on the same level with alien abduction theorists. But let's just say for the sake of argument that the NBA does fix outcomes......why in the world do you watch? It is more asinine than the fixing itself.

boutons_deux
05-15-2014, 12:24 PM
conspiracy?

how about NBA asking Spurs to throw game4 to have more product/advertising to sell, aka, Game5.

itsamanuthree
05-15-2014, 12:35 PM
Well, well ,well, if it isn't this a surprise... Skull hating on people from other places... :rolleyes

Horse
05-15-2014, 12:38 PM
I am stunned, absolutely stunned that anyone would invest their time and money into following something they truly believe was rigged or fixed.

I rank NBA conspiracy theorists on the same level with alien abduction theorists. But let's just say for the sake of argument that the NBA does fix outcomes......why in the world do you watch? It is more asinine than the fixing itself.

Entertainment just like wrestling.

Kleese
05-15-2014, 12:52 PM
Entertainment just like wrestling.

Do you also think they rigged things in 1999, 2003, 2005, and 2007? Or just years when the Spurs don't win?

jARS mEsH sEt
05-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Do you also think they rigged things in 1999, 2003, 2005, and 2007? Or just years when the Spurs don't win?

Tim donaghy rigged the results in 2007, yes. Spurs stole a ring from Phoenix. It's like you don't know anything abou basketball.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-15-2014, 01:05 PM
Kleese I hope you realize nobody outside of Oklahoma and durbeta fans respect OKC. OKC is a ref-propped fraud of a team with one of the worst, most stagnant isoball/2 man pick and roll offenses in the nba. OKC's lifeblood is getting to the free throw line on ticky tack fouls.

Kleese
05-15-2014, 01:06 PM
Tim donaghy rigged the results in 2007, yes. Spurs stole a ring from Phoenix. It's like you don't know anything abou basketball.

All based on allegations from a convicted felon, who apparently had a beef with every official in the NBA. He is hardly credible. But for the record, even HE says it wasn't rigged:

"TD: People don’t realize that at that time we weren’t even betting any more because the guy who was involved in the scheme ended up going into rehab, so we were done betting at that time for about a month. So that was just a poorly officiated series from game one all the way until the last game."

jARS mEsH sEt
05-15-2014, 01:10 PM
When OKC's FTA/FGA ratios drop well below the absurd level they're at now (~.35 which is head and shoulders above the rest of the league) I'll consider their wins valid.

Donaghys status as a felon is irrelevant. Anyone who watched spurs/Phoenix in '07 knows that Phoenix was jobbed, just like the spurs were in the '12 WCF game 6.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-15-2014, 01:12 PM
I'm not a conspiracy theorist either. I don't care to speculate on why certain teams are propped up. I just recognize that they are.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-15-2014, 01:22 PM
Here's one where your precious thunder were the victims. 2012 WCSF Game 3 Thunder/Lakers was blatantly rigged in favor of the Lakers. Why? I have no fucking idea. Your guess is as good as mine. I just notice rigged games when I see them, and I keep a running tally of which team benefits the most. OKC ranks highly on that list.

Edit: This one is probably not as infamous as some of the others because it had no bearing on the outcome of the series. Thunder simply won in 5.

Skull-1
05-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Well, well ,well, if it isn't this a surprise... Skull hating on people from other places... :rolleyes

Well, well, well, if this isn't a surprise. Itsamanubrick with another banal post.

Hey moron... It is the meth capital of the US. Doesn't matter where it is, only THAT it is. My wife is from Oklahoma. I don't hate her. (Most of the time any way.)

itsamanuthree
05-15-2014, 02:12 PM
You are a disgusting piece of shit

Skull-1
05-15-2014, 02:14 PM
I am a disgusting piece of racist shit

Fify, tbqh, fwiw.