PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time Pop complained about officiating to the media?

cd98
05-14-2014, 07:45 AM
It's been a long, long time. He's learned to suck it up and make no excuses. That's really classy. It's so much easier for a coach to blame a bad loss on the refs. Rivers went overboard in my opinion, last night. His team blew that game. I'm not entirely sure the ball went off Jackson, but you can't blame that on the refs. I saw more Thunderref calls go against the Grizzlies. Clippers have only themselves to blame. The NBA wants them in the finals...huge market team. Refs aren't fixing that game for the Thunder.

That said, Thunder have escaped so many games they should've lost this post season, I'm nervous the Spurs, assuming they meet, will play a team of destiny. If we lose to Thinderrefs, Pop will take the blame, he won't blame officials.

lil'mo
05-14-2014, 07:57 AM
Idiot. You obviously don't understand the purpose of the league rigging matches. It has nothing to do with big markets. Idiot :lol

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
05-14-2014, 08:02 AM
Pop complains to the official in the game, not about them afterwards. He tore Tony Brothers a new in that Game 1 against Portland when the Refs (mostly Brothers) were calling all those BS fouls. They settled down in 4th quarter. Pop stares you down like he is going to rip your heart out after the game.

Tony Brothers should not be allow to ref any Spurs games again this playoffs. I would rather have Joey Crawford ref every single than to have Tony brothers ref for a couple of games.

jag
05-14-2014, 08:07 AM
:lol pego has it allllll figured out

cd98
05-14-2014, 08:11 AM
Complaining during the game is acceptable. Blaming a loss on Refs after the game is classless. Saying you were robbed when the all star point guard that the league engineered to get to the big market team they would prefer in the finals turns the ball over twice and fouls a three point shooter to lose the game, it's not even close to the refs fault.

Per David Stern the best finals would be Lakers v Lakers. Clippers have replaced Lakers in the biggest basketball market. NBA would love to have LA and it's marketable stars in the finals.

lil'mo
05-14-2014, 08:36 AM
:lol what a shmuck

:cry classless

lil'mo
05-14-2014, 08:37 AM
:lol pego has it allllll figured out

You don't by now? You must be dumber than I thought :lol

jag
05-14-2014, 08:39 AM
You don't by now? You must be dumber than I thought :lol

I'm smart enough to not be making minimum wage in my late 20's

Russ
05-14-2014, 08:41 AM
Pop understands that complaining about the refs just gives your team an out.

Complaining about things you can't control is an excuse to quit.

Like Parker regretting he jump high enough instead of challenging Westbrook's shot no matter what.

Blaming the refs makes losing comfortable, acceptable and understandable. Like a gentleman's agreement with losing that makes it hurt less.

Pop wants it to hurt.

DesignatedT
05-14-2014, 08:42 AM
Complaining about the refs publicly does no good for a team. Pop does his fair share of complaining during the games if you watch closely enough.

lil'mo
05-14-2014, 08:50 AM
I'm smart enough to not be making minimum wage in my late 20's

Same here! :toast

Russ
05-14-2014, 08:52 AM
Complaining about the refs publicly does no good for a team. Pop does his fair share of complaining during the games if you watch closely enough.

Complaining during the game is when it can have some effect. And Pop doesn't want his players (rather than him) doing it even then.

poop
05-14-2014, 08:53 AM
If what happened fo the clippers happens to the spurs, i would hope Pop would do what Doc did. You gotta call bullshit when you see it and if pop did it, it would really get peoples attention

100%duncan
05-14-2014, 08:54 AM
:lol They got robbed, Rivers was right.

How the fuck is this going to Pop being classy :lmao

superbigtime
05-14-2014, 09:20 AM
Scrotum head Tony brothers has always been a crappy referee. I think he takes the lead as the worst NBA referee now. He has moved into the #1 spot.

cd98
05-14-2014, 09:23 AM
:lol They got robbed, Rivers was right.

How the fuck is this going to Pop being classy :lmao
Pop didn't blame refs after Game 6. He accepts responsibility for losses. Paul lost that game, not the refs. Like I said earlier, the Grizzlies could complain about Thunderef, but the Clippers blew that game. I'm rooting for the Clippers, but I can't defend that choke job.

jag
05-14-2014, 10:48 AM
Same here! :toast

Mid-20's?

Aremid
05-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Pop didn't blame refs after Game 6. He accepts responsibility for losses. Paul lost that game, not the refs. Like I said earlier, the Grizzlies could complain about Thunderef, but the Clippers blew that game. I'm rooting for the Clippers, but I can't defend that choke job.

Phil was a brilliant manipulator of the refs and would prevent this sort of shit from happening.

cd98
05-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Phil was a brilliant manipulator of the refs and would prevent this sort of shit from happening.

Phil coached the Lakers. If the calls didn't go well during a particular game, he would just remind the refs that it was the Lakers for the next game.

Mugen
05-14-2014, 11:16 AM
:lol How did Doc go overboard? If you listened to the entire presser, he says the Clippers did everything they can to choke the game but that doesn't change the fact they got screwed, which is true.

I don't even like Rivers but that nigga had a rightful beef and correctly called out the league for it.

FromWayDowntown
05-14-2014, 11:39 AM
I honestly can't think of a single time when Pop said anything publicly about officiating, other than to say that it is not something his team can control and that he thinks his team should focus on those things it can control. He does get on officials a lot during games, but from a distance, he seems to acknowledge to the subjects of his rants -- at least occasionally -- that he understands why something was or wasn't called.

I don't know to what extent the Spurs send complaints about officiating to the league. You'd think that officials would appreciate the fact that Pop doesn't air his complaints about them for the whole world, but he still seems to have fairly contentious relationships with some of them.

lil'mo
05-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Mid-20's?

Yeah but if you wanna get technical I haven't earned minimum wage since I was 20. :(

jag
05-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Yeah but if you wanna get technical I haven't earned minimum wage since I was 20. :(

6/2/2011:

I've only recently started earning minimum wage

You 23 right now, brah?

lil'mo
05-14-2014, 02:29 PM
:lol From my very first post of that thread:

I now have to continue with my slave labor at the RTC I work at for the remainder of the year, and it fuckin SUCKS there. I get battered and bruised every day containing and fighting with little bastards for slightly more than minimum wage. I'm super pissed.

Now I guess it depends on the difference in our definitions of "slightly" that determines how funny that dumb joke of y'all's still is :lmao

fwiw I was making $10.50/hr at the RTC and ended making $12/hr. I was there for 1 year.

:rolleyes

Clipper Nation
05-14-2014, 02:32 PM
Pop didn't blame refs after Game 6.
:lol Refs didn't even play a role in why you lost, first of all, and then Pop kept deflecting with his "that's a European question" crap after the game....

cd98
05-14-2014, 03:38 PM
:lol Refs didn't even play a role in why you lost, first of all, and then Pop kept deflecting with his "that's a European question" crap after the game....

Well he sure could have complained that Ray Allen traveled on the three point shot to tie the game or that Bosh ran into Green on that three in overtime and should have had 3 free throws. He also could have blamed refs on .4 or Brent Barry three, but he didn't do that. I know Doc was pissed about losing, and I think in his heart he knows that it was a terrible collapse at the wrong time, but to go on and on about the refs is a poor excuse. He should man up and say the refs had nothing to do with the loss. They choked pure and simple. He should just leave it at that and challenge his guys to make up for it in Game 6. Hey, I hope the Clippers win, but regardless, don't blame the refs, especially when the obvious reason for the loss was Paul's boneheaded play the last 40 seconds of the game (something I was surprised to see given how solid he usually is in such situations).

05-14-2014, 03:47 PM
Well he sure could have complained that Ray Allen traveled on the three point shot to tie the game or that Bosh ran into Green on that three in overtime and should have had 3 free throws. He also could have blamed refs on .4 or Brent Barry three, but he didn't do that. I know Doc was pissed about losing, and I think in his heart he knows that it was a terrible collapse at the wrong time, but to go on and on about the refs is a poor excuse. He should man up and say the refs had nothing to do with the loss. They choked pure and simple. He should just leave it at that and challenge his guys to make up for it in Game 6. Hey, I hope the Clippers win, but regardless, don't blame the refs, especially when the obvious reason for the loss was Paul's boneheaded play the last 40 seconds of the game (something I was surprised to see given how solid he usually is in such situations).
Referees are a huge part of the NBA, so I don't see why you would just ignore them.

Va Spur
05-14-2014, 03:48 PM
I thought Rivers was spot on. he called his team a comedy of errors --- he accepted their part. But let's be clear that REPLAY (not on the spot) call was blown without excuse. They had time to look at it and anyone can see barnes never even touched the ball. It was off Jackson. My 4 year old could tell you who touched it. To think that play didn't impact outcome is crazy. They would have the ball up two and maybe cp3 would go crazy stupid again and just take the foul this time. Clippers 95% chance would have won. Did they blow it too? Yes- but how the 3 officials look at that and don't overturn is real bad thought out officiating

in2deep
05-14-2014, 04:01 PM
LOL how were we robbed in game 6? That was just an old fashioned legit chokejob

Clipper Nation
05-14-2014, 04:31 PM
I know Doc was pissed about losing, and I think in his heart he knows that it was a terrible collapse at the wrong time, but to go on and on about the refs is a poor excuse.

He didn't "go on and on about the refs," he clearly stated that the players also made mistakes :lol

Doc is constantly yelling at the refs during games, but he rarely openly criticizes them in the press conference, so you know it was bad when he was ripping them to shreds.....

DMC
05-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Idiot. You obviously don't understand the purpose of the league rigging matches. It has nothing to do with big markets. Idiot :lol
He doesn't understand maximizing profits or that it's all one market.

100%duncan
05-14-2014, 08:31 PM

you don't need to defend it, I already did. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bnl4CeAIYAAtONZ.jpg

lil'mo
05-14-2014, 08:44 PM
He doesn't understand maximizing profits or that it's all one market.

among other things