PDA

View Full Version : Remember when Fisher jumped onto Brent Barry during his last second 3 pointer

poop
05-14-2014, 09:31 AM
That would have sent it into overtime? Fisher jumped directly into barry, full body contact, barry goes down...the refs swallow the whistle...Lakers win, going up 3-1 instead of the spurs being able to tie series 2-2.

It was as clear cut of a foul as you can get. The refs did nothing. The whole arguement from everyone was 'well they let them play' ' they didnt bail them(the spurs) out, that would have been lame to decide the game at the foul line'..the whole arguement was that the refs usually dont call fouls at the end of a close game unless it was a pretty hard foul.
Decent reasoning here, let the players decide the game.

Now someone explain to me just WTF happened on that ridiculous foul call last nite...westbrick goes for a hero 3 pointer, paul goes straight up with a textbook contest, virtually no discernable contact at all. Whistle blows, Okc gets to decide the game with freethrows.
What a complete joke

z0sa
05-14-2014, 10:40 AM
The NBA apologized but in reality Brent barry should have flopped his ass off or at least threw up a shot. He got caught in no mans land gambling on a 50/50 call (considering opponent and time remaining) and the Spurs paid the price.

as for the clippers... you just cant let that happen. Fuck the foul for a second... What was that abortion of a play as time expired? CP3 driving to within a few feet of the rim with milliseconds remaining, only needing a 2 - optimal situation one would think. Just look at Game 2 vs Grizz last season. I expected a shot attempt at any rate. What transpired instead, especially the ball bouncing nonchalantly off legs then slowly rolling along the floor, invoked only pity. Full retard is never pretty.

cd98
05-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Classy Brent Barry didn't complain about a foul. He didn't even acknowledge that he was fouled. That said, different refs and different games that are years apart. I get the inconsistency, but I don't think it is part of a bigger league conspiracy. In fact, I see the NBA more interested in the Clippers (with bankable stars like Paul and Griffin) making it to the finals (getting a big, big market involved) over OKC.

dunkman
05-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Its the Lakers, tbh . . . they got away with anything during the Stern era. His "ideal finals" were "Lakers vs. Lakers". Now, for some reason OKC gets a preferential treatment too. The NBA thinks Westbrook and Durant are very marketable.

Solid D
05-14-2014, 12:34 PM
It's entertainment.

superbigtime
05-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Unbiased refereeing seems to be a dream for basketball fans. Crooked shit.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
05-14-2014, 12:52 PM
NBA apologizes and said it was a foul after the fact. Made me feel SOOOOO much better.

Game should have gone into OT (assuming Barry hit both FTs). But Barry should have just jumped straight up and shot the ball. Fisher would not have been able to stop himself from jumping into the Barry. Barry just gaffed on the play.

But the milk has already dried up for me on this one.

StoneBuddha
05-14-2014, 12:57 PM
Wasn't Barry (who was hot at the end of the game) shooting a 3-ptr? They call that foul and Spurs are 2-2 going back to LA.

BillMc
05-14-2014, 12:57 PM
That would have sent it into overtime? Fisher jumped directly into barry, full body contact, barry goes down...the refs swallow the whistle...Lakers win, going up 3-1 instead of the spurs being able to tie series 2-2.

It was as clear cut of a foul as you can get. The refs did nothing. The whole arguement from everyone was 'well they let them play' ' they didnt bail them(the spurs) out, that would have been lame to decide the game at the foul line'..the whole arguement was that the refs usually dont call fouls at the end of a close game unless it was a pretty hard foul.
Decent reasoning here, let the players decide the game.

Now someone explain to me just WTF happened on that ridiculous foul call last nite...westbrick goes for a hero 3 pointer, paul goes straight up with a textbook contest, virtually no discernable contact at all. Whistle blows, Okc gets to decide the game with freethrows.
What a complete joke

Not to mention in Game 6 of the finals, Bosh body-slammed Green on that last shot of overtime. But because it was a body blow and not on the wrist, it wasn't called. But if you breathe on Westbrook or Durant, they call the foul. Heck, it was that way for their ex-teammate Harden, though he didn't get the calls in the last game of the Thunder series.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
05-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Wasn't Barry (who was hot at the end of the game) shooting a 3-ptr? They call that foul and Spurs are 2-2 going back to LA.

No. Barry pumped faked, got fisher in the air, try to go around Fisher, but couldn't b/c Fisher jumped into him (OBVIOUS FOUL), then shot 3 after the contact. Even if the foul was called, it would have been on the floor (not on the shot) and the Lakers were over the limit at that point.

Seventyniner
05-14-2014, 01:07 PM
No. Barry pumped faked, got fisher in the air, try to go around b/c Fisher, but couldn't b/c Fisher jumped into him (OBVIOUS FOUL), then shot 3 after the contact. Even if the foul was called, it would have been on the floor (not on the shot) and the Lakers were over the limit at that point.

Right. I think even when the league issued the statement, they said it should have been a two-shot foul.

k_nguyen93
05-14-2014, 01:23 PM
We missed out on a Duncan Garnett final that year. I'm sure league was happy with a Celtics Lakers finals though.

poop
05-14-2014, 01:58 PM
It is just hilarious when you compare the two, and see which one was called and which one wasnt

Jimcs50
05-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Remember Fisher's shot with 0.4 secs?

10 years ago yesterday.

:depressed

davidbowie
05-14-2014, 02:49 PM
haha i havent thought about that in so long

i was so pissed at brent for not flopping up some bs shot

sigh

davidbowie
05-14-2014, 02:49 PM

10 years ago yesterday.

remember tim's miraculous game winner right before that? yeah me neither lol

in2deep
05-14-2014, 03:10 PM
It's entertainment.

Jimcs50
05-14-2014, 04:01 PM
remember tim's miraculous game winner right before that? yeah me neither lol

Tim also had a great game winner nulified right before Manu's bonehead foul on Dirk and his driving layup which gave Dallas the tieing point to send game into OT, whereupon Spurs lost. Tim has had two great moments stolen from him. :depressed

Skull-1
05-14-2014, 04:07 PM
Unbiased refereeing seems to be a dream for basketball fans. Crooked shit.

:toast

Also so it is a "non-contact sport". Yeah right.

baseline bum
05-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Tim also had a great game winner nulified right before Manu's bonehead foul on Dirk and his driving layup which gave Dallas the tieing point to send game into OT, whereupon Spurs lost. Tim has had two great moments stolen from him. :depressed

LOL, what? Manu was the one who put the Spurs ahead with that three.

Horry Hipcheck
05-14-2014, 04:22 PM

Duncan was on the far elbow with his back to the basket and when Dallas committed the double team, he hit Manu for basically a wide open 3 to give the Spurs their first lead with 32 seconds left. Manu nullified his own heroic shot with that foul, not TD's.

Jimcs50
05-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Duncan was on the far elbow with his back to the basket and when Dallas committed the double team, he hit Manu for basically a wide open 3 to give the Spurs their first lead with 32 seconds left. Manu nullified his own heroic shot with that foul, not TD's.

You're right. The shot where TD hit the shot and slid backwards on his ass after the shot was against LA, not Dallas.

Take away those two plays, of Fish and Manu's dumb play and Spurs would prob have 5-6 rings.

Jimcs50
05-14-2014, 04:52 PM
You're right. The shot where TD hit the shot and slid backwards on his ass after the shot was against LA, not Dallas.

Take away those two plays, of Fish and Manu's dumb play and Spurs would prob have 5-6 rings.

Also if not for TD's torn miniscus in 2000 against the Kings, when SA had best record, and if last year's melt down did not occur, they could have had two more rings. Those 4 incidences cost them from beating out Chicago for the best dynasty since the 60's Celtics

DMC
05-14-2014, 05:37 PM
Steve Javie says that refs consider the implications of the call and will lean more toward rewarding the team with the momentum. If a team is on a tear, they will get the call, if the team is making a comeback, they'll get the call. It makes the game seem more fluid and doesn't disrupt momentum.

Imagine a chess game like that where the rules change based on the last move or who you're playing and where.

DMC
05-14-2014, 05:39 PM
What about the years that the Spurs got embarrassed by teams in the playoffs? If that didn't happen, the Spurs could have 30 or so rings.

silverblk mystix
05-14-2014, 05:40 PM
Not to mention in Game 6 of the finals, Bosh body-slammed Green on that last shot of overtime. But because it was a body blow and not on the wrist, it wasn't called. But if you breathe on Westbrook or Durant, they call the foul. Heck, it was that way for their ex-teammate Harden, though he didn't get the calls in the last game of the Thunder series.

This.

Meet the new boss - same as the old boss.

The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again.

Texas_Ranger
05-14-2014, 05:51 PM

10 years ago yesterday.

I had to go to school right after that shot... I felt dead all day.

But that was nothing compared to game 6.