PDA

View Full Version : Pop is a Coward: No guts to stand up to the leagues

poeticism707
05-14-2014, 02:20 PM
It takes a so called "young, terrible" coach in Doc Rivers to call out the league,

while Pop, with every bit of 50m in the bank at least, has said nary a word in his entire tenure.

All those times the Spurs got jobbed in the playoffs, and Pop likes to pretend for his players, and their efforts sake,

that this league isn't as rigged as a winch cable.

Pop is deluded, and no doubt thinks if he complains publicly, the Spurs will get treated even worse.

Well, Pop, the Spurs haven't rang in 7 years (and counting after RefKC "beats us" next round),

so I am not sure what you think your cowardly silence gains.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-14-2014, 02:21 PM
:lmao nary

FromWayDowntown
05-14-2014, 02:24 PM
Maybe he doesn't think the league is rigged. [/conjecture]

in2deep
05-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Youre an idiot op. POP has stood up to Stern and the league more than most coaches. In the way he operates his team, lineups, interviews, interaction with refs, etc. You can tell many at the league officess aborr Pop.

He just knows how to do it and get away with it. He still needs to play the game by gheir rules or he would have been banished long ago.

poeticism707
05-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Youre an idiot op. POP has stood up to Stern and the league more than most coaches. In the way he operates his team, lineups, interviews, interaction with refs, etc. You can tell many at the league officess aborr Pop.

He just knows how to do it and get away with it. He still needs to play the game by gheir rules or he would have been banished long ago.

Oh yeah?

Then please provide quotes and links displaying Pop's bravery.

I'll save you the trouble, and tell you won't find a thing.

Because it ain't there.

FromWayDowntown
05-14-2014, 02:40 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8695865/nba-fines-san-antonio-spurs-250000-sitting-players

FromWayDowntown
05-14-2014, 02:41 PM
The longer history of Pop's refusal to do David Stern's bidding:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--david-stern-stumbles-again-in-his-failed-culture-war-against-the-spurs-194828970.html

jag
05-14-2014, 02:46 PM
Oh yeah?

Then please provide quotes and links displaying Pop's bravery.

I'll save you the trouble, and tell you won't find a thing.

Because it ain't there.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8695865/nba-fines-san-antonio-spurs-250000-sitting-players

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--david-stern-stumbles-again-in-his-failed-culture-war-against-the-spurs-194828970.html

http://giant.gfycat.com/WellmadeThunderousFlatfish.gif

Poolboy5623
05-14-2014, 02:49 PM
According to the rules, the right call was made. Sooo, doc looks like a whiney baby, that doesn't know the rule book?

UZER
05-14-2014, 02:50 PM
http://giant.gfycat.com/WellmadeThunderousFlatfish.gif

:lol that gif gets me every time

davidbowie
05-14-2014, 02:50 PM
yeah man pops the worse. trade his ass!!!

poeticism707
05-14-2014, 02:52 PM

So, Stern and his refs send the Spurs home on multiple occasions,

and Pop never says a single word.

But you think Pop is some cavalier, brave, folk hero, because he rested some guys?

Come on guys, no one is this naive.

Dex
05-14-2014, 02:54 PM
The longer history of Pop's refusal to do David Stern's bidding:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--david-stern-stumbles-again-in-his-failed-culture-war-against-the-spurs-194828970.html

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/marbles-mind-blown-up.gif

in2deep
05-14-2014, 03:00 PM

But you think Pop is some cavalier, brave, folk hero, because he rested some guys?

No one is this naive except you. You dont have to say things into microphone to fight a regime. Wake up.

FromWayDowntown
05-14-2014, 03:03 PM

Your initial post was about Pop not "standing up" to the league. Several people have shown ways in which that observation is patently false. So, now you change the argument and now you're trying to say that we're making Popovich a hero?

I don't think Pop is a cavalier, brave folk hero. I think he's a basketball coach who's had the guts to challenge a very powerful commissioner on a lot of things during the course of his tenure as a basketball coach while creating a franchise that is the envy of the entire league.

Pop doesn't bitch about officiating and made-up conspiracies because his teams win (even if they haven't actually won a title in 7 years) at a rate that is basically unprecedented in the history of this league, no matter what the league's game officials might or might not try to do during the course of games.

If you think there's some vast conspiracy to keep the Spurs down, it doesn't make a lot of sense to be a Spurs fan or to continue watching a league that you think is rigged against the team you choose to support.

EVAY
05-14-2014, 03:13 PM
There is a difference, and a big one, between having a public temper tantrum and standing up for your team.

Mark Cuban is a good example of someone who has had a lot of public temper tantrums and paid the fines for them. Last night Rivers had one and it might well have been for the purpose of impacting how the next game (or two) is (are) called. Coaches used to do a lot of the kind of thing that Rivers did last night in '80's and '90s. And everybody knew it was for the purpose of impacting how the next game was called.

Pop's approach is to send tape to the league offices and request that they be reviewed and paid attention to in the future. I don't define that as cowardice. I define that as a more mature response to the same problem. It is up to the league to determine which is more effective.

cd98
05-14-2014, 03:27 PM
Questioning the legitimacy of the league is to call into question 4 championships sitting in the Spurs trophy case. Pop knows the game is not rigged. Refs are not perfect. And they do make mistakes, and I think some are influenced by certain players and certain stadiums. But ultimately, if your players play better than the other teams', you're gonna win. You think the NBA is in the tank for the Thunder, then why do they not have a single championship and have only made it to the finals once, where they were beat soundly?

poeticism707
05-14-2014, 03:35 PM
Questioning the legitimacy of the league is to call into question 4 championships sitting in the Spurs trophy case. Pop knows the game is not rigged. Refs are not perfect. And they do make mistakes, and I think some are influenced by certain players and certain stadiums. But ultimately, if your players play better than the other teams', you're gonna win. You think the NBA is in the tank for the Thunder, then why do they not have a single championship and have only made it to the finals once, where they were beat soundly?

I could spell it all out for you.

But that is uneccassary.

School is in session in the WCF, where Stern and Silver will gift the Thunder the series, per par.

If you need further history lessons, see the 2012 WCF, where Spurs were up 2-0, going to sweep OKC, or beat them 4-1,

until the big time, high dollar rigging began per par.

05-14-2014, 03:38 PM
Westbrook got injured last year

Mikeanaro
05-14-2014, 03:45 PM
Influenced? you mean like zombies? if refs make stupid call after stupid call when you have a nice lead helping the opposite team when they donīt deserve it thatīs BS, it doesnt matter if you are in a stadium in Congo or Delaware or if the player is Shaq or Delonte West, you are a ref to judge whats really going on...NOTHING ELSE.
Thunder went to the finals to make the Durant vs Lebron show, Lebron already fell against Dallas and SA so this was perfect he would get his ring and Stern his ratings. Game 6 against the Thunder was a full 64 piece/whistle concert.
I question the legitimacy of the league fuck yeah.

jag
05-14-2014, 03:46 PM
With this breakout performance, poeticism has quite possibly moved into the Top 5 Worst Posters in the Spurs Forum ranking.

This is an impressive list of names as we enter the final stretch of the postseason.

jkid
testies
apalisoc
jARS mEsH sEt
poeticism

I'm staying true to my original pick, jkid. I think he has what it takes to finish at the top.

FromWayDowntown
05-14-2014, 03:50 PM

Also, my guess is that Pop doesn't question the legitimacy of the league because he doesn't think there's any real basis to question the legitimacy of the league.

Pop's a very, very bright man and I have the sense that while basketball is important to him, it's also not some all-consuming thing that he needs to have in order to have a quality life. My sense of Pop is that if he thought there was some sort of illegitimacy to the league, he'd walk away from it. Fundamentally, he seems driven as much by his belief in the thrill of competing and testing himself and his players against the best challenges they can find and trying to overcome those challenges in legitimate competition. Maybe I've misunderstood him, but having watched him pretty closely for the better part of 20 years now, I can't see Pop just continuing to devote time and passion to something that isn't legitimate.

And if the response to that is that Pop benefits financially from continuing to be involved in basketball and sticks around despite the alleged illegitimacy of the NBA, then it doesn't make sense to complain about his public silence concerning the imagined conspiracy.

Seventyniner
05-14-2014, 03:54 PM
People like OP are the same ones who used to bitch about Phil Jackson's manipulation of the media. They want everything both ways...perhaps in more than one respect.

ElNono
05-14-2014, 03:55 PM
With this breakout performance, poeticism has quite possibly moved into the Top 5 Worst Posters in the Spurs Forum ranking.

This is an impressive list of names as we enter the final stretch of the postseason.

jkid
testies
apalisoc
jARS mEsH sEt
poeticism

I'm staying true to my original pick, jkid. I think he has what it takes to finish at the top.

Should we start running a fantasy league for this next season, tbh? :lol

jag
05-14-2014, 04:25 PM
Should we start running a fantasy league for this next season, tbh? :lol

:lol I'm gonna make a thread sometime in the next few days to track the contenders and their rankings. Then I'll create a poll when the Finals are over and we can vote on who's the worst.

We can petition the Powers That Be (Kori, Slomo, Bruno, You) to pink the winner of the poll.

Clipper Nation
05-14-2014, 04:32 PM
You think the NBA is in the tank for the Thunder, then why do they not have a single championship and have only made it to the finals once, where they were beat soundly?
LeBron just owns Durbeta even with the refs propping up MethKC....

gameFACE
05-14-2014, 04:48 PM
:lmao nary

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01673/lear_1673841i.jpg

Popovich with nary a murmur or complaint.......................PUTOS!!!

elbamba
05-14-2014, 05:01 PM
Pop does his complaining during the game. making excuses after the fact accomplishes nothing except allowing your players to believe they are not responsible for the loss. I think last night showed why people that compare Doc and Pop are crazy. They are not in the same league. Pop is a way better coach. Doc is like Phil. Bounce around to the best situation and attach your name to great players. Not saying he can't coach, but only a loser blames the refs.

I will give props to Paul, who I normally hate. I thought he accepted the blame like a champ. He lost that game for his team. He made about 5 boneheaded decision in the last 50 seconds that cost his team the game.

ducks
05-14-2014, 05:23 PM
sits players gets fined by stern 250k for not playing the big three

he stands up

poeticism707
05-14-2014, 05:37 PM

jkid
testies
apalisoc
jARS mEsH sEt
poeticism

What was that, Jag?

Couldn't hear you over the cacophony of 14 year old trolls that can't think for themselves,

and think they are so "kool."

All on my ignore list, as are you.

Morons of feather of course.

Enjoy.

Feel free to keep trolling, but I won't hear a word of it.

DMC
05-14-2014, 05:39 PM
It takes a so called "young, terrible" coach in Doc Rivers to call out the league,

while Pop, with every bit of 50m in the bank at least, has said nary a word in his entire tenure.

All those times the Spurs got jobbed in the playoffs, and Pop likes to pretend for his players, and their efforts sake,

Pop is deluded, and no doubt thinks if he complains publicly, the Spurs will get treated even worse.

Well, Pop, the Spurs haven't rang in 7 years (and counting after RefKC "beats us" next round),

Pop's net worth is 10m

jARS mEsH sEt
05-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Pop's net worth is 10m

That sounds quite low. He's been on contract for around $6M/year for a while now. Uncle sam takes damn near half of that. Even if he's left with $3M/year after tax, given how frugal Pop is (he lives in a relatively moderate $1M house in San Antonio) I'd expect his net worth to be much higher than $10M.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Like, at the risk of bragging (hopefully this isn't construed as bragging because it's not me), my uncle's liquid net worth is a little north of $7 million and he doesn't make anywhere near the money that Pop does. His gross AGI in any given year will probably hit around $1.5M to $2M depending on bonuses.

There's no way Pop's net worth is just $10M.

sook
05-14-2014, 05:52 PM

jkid
testies
apalisoc
jARS mEsH sEt
poeticism

He moved there with his classless post in the whottt RIP thread a couple of years back:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164334&page=13

This is what I mean. This is sad, but also not unexpected. Spurs Talk is nothing more than a false reality, and most posters here come here to this site to brag about the wrong things they're doing openly. Whether it's illicit images in signatures, drug talk, the constant mocking of God's laws of marriage, the incessant cursing, the glorification of lust through any means necessary, and any other sin, it's all out in the open for all to to see and boast about.

Most think it's just fine and dandy to mock Jesus the Christ, the only begotten Son of God, Holy commandments, His statues, and would rather trust your broken logic, just because you want to do what you want to, rather than Him, who knows all, and has great love for you as evidenced by Him dying for you.

And yet, the consequences are very real. Even this site is forced into grieving because of the law of the Lord: the wages of sin is death. I beg and plead for everyone on this site to STOP living your lives in a filthy toilet: for that what it means to live without a personal relationship with Christ and His Laws.

Aren't you tired of being miserable? Aren't you tired of being cursed, and hence always cursing (In case you didn't know: those who curse hate themselves first, others second.)? Aren't you tired of Satan telling your body to sin, and you spending all your money, all your time, and all of your efforts to fulfill it, and thus destroy yourself? And you're tired of broken homes, broken families, broken marriages, and all to many distractions, addiction after addiction, and lies to cover your sins, just so you can "get through the day?" Isn't someone fed up with being Satan's puppet? Aren't you sick of that wicked and unclean devil just walking all over you, and your children, and your children's children? Someone here simply MUST be be ready to surrender to Christ, so that He can can give you a new heart, make you a new creature, and give you His peace, and relationship with Him and through Him the Father, that you might actually overcome sin in your lives, and for ONCE be able to enjoy your lives without you being miserable and seeking after sin.

Ban away, flame away, but this is my love letter to Jesus the Chirst, and secondly, all the members of Spurstalk, even those who will come in with guns ablaze slinging curses and whatever other false and twisted words come into their darkened hearts.

superjames1992
05-14-2014, 05:59 PM

Doc is a young, terrible coach? He's usually known as one of the best coaches in the league. :lol

superjames1992
05-14-2014, 06:01 PM
That sounds quite low. He's been on contract for around $6M/year for a while now. Uncle sam takes damn near half of that. Even if he's left with $3M/year after tax, given how frugal Pop is (he lives in a relatively moderate $1M house in San Antonio) I'd expect his net worth to be much higher than $10M.
Yeah, unless Pop is a terrible investor, gives most of his disposable income away to charity, or spends like a drunken sailor on consumption items, that does seem really, really low.

poeticism707
05-14-2014, 06:19 PM
That is how Spurs fans think of him, not what I think of him: hence the quotation marks.

KaiRMD1
05-14-2014, 06:51 PM
Pop's reaction after reading OP's post:
http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/gregg-popovich-approved-o.gif

SnakeBoy
05-14-2014, 07:16 PM
(he lives in a relatively moderate $1M house in San Antonio)

It's not that moderate and even in SA this is more than a $1M home...

http://www.celebrityhousepictures.com/gregg-popovich.php

jag
05-14-2014, 07:18 PM
He moved there with his classless post in the whottt RIP thread a couple of years back:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164334&page=13

http://sportsmockery.com/messageboard/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/royreidcaescalatedquickly-13990908098gnk4.gif

jag
05-14-2014, 07:25 PM
:lol Poeticism thinks I'm "trolling" by calling him a terrible poster. Dude is a terrible poster.

Of course I'm going to clown him for being an illogical, irrational poster, but I'm not trolling or joking when I say he's about as bad as it gets.

weeks
05-14-2014, 08:06 PM
i still don't get why the spurs have 4 chips if the league was rigged