PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Spurs have something to prove in game 5 (Fact/Fiction)

jARS mEsH sEt
05-14-2014, 04:50 PM
3. Fact or Fiction: The Spurs have something to prove in Game 5.

Gutierrez: Fiction. They lost a game in Portland. That's not exactly "sky is falling" type of stuff. They went seven games with Dallas, but there were so many oddities to that first round, you almost have to dismiss it and judge teams based on second-round performances. And the Spurs probably have looked like the best team since the round started.

Harper: Fiction. The Spurs have nothing to prove at this point until the next round. After going up 3-0 in the series, the likelihood of them dropping four straight is next to zero percent. Maybe they'll want to prove it's good to take care of business, but there is no concern about them moving on or not being good enough.

Nowell: Fiction. First of all, the Blazers won 54 games, and second of all, the Spurs have so demonstrated their superiority to this point that another (unlikely) loss is not going to really expose anything about them. The only thing these Spurs have to prove is that they're able to win a championship.

Pelton: Fact, but only for one player: Manu Ginobili (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/272/manu-ginobili). Ginobili has had a terrible series, but it didn't cost San Antonio until Game 4. Should the Spurs advance, they'll need more from him in the Western Conference finals. Now would be a great time to get going.

Youngmisuk: Fiction. The Spurs have nothing to prove. They just need to finish and get as much rest as possible. Even if they lose this next game, in my mind, they still have nothing to prove. Proving something comes in the Western Conference finals and potentially beyond.

:lmao

Pelton dropping truth bombs.

td4mvp2k
05-14-2014, 04:56 PM
Harper: Fiction. The Spurs have nothing to prove at this point until the next round. After going up 3-0 in the series, the likelihood of them dropping four straight is next to zero percent. Maybe they'll want to prove it's good to take care of business, but there is no concern about them moving on or not being good enough.

ElNono
05-14-2014, 05:04 PM
I agree he can play better, but if there's anything the first 3 games have shown, is that this team isn't as reliant on one guy's production, which is good.

His effort is never in doubt, IMO, but he obviously can't carry this team consistently like in the past at this stage.

Interestingly though, some people complained about him shooting too much in the previous series, and he only took 6 shots in the last game, what was probably his worst game this postseason.

Overall, he needs to find other areas to help with when his shot isn't falling. In the first round, it was helping on the boards and with steals.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-14-2014, 05:05 PM
I agree he can play better, but if there's anything the first 3 games have shown, is that this team isn't as reliant on one guy's production, which is good.

His effort is never in doubt, IMO, but he obviously can't carry this team consistently like in the past at this stage.

Interestingly though, some people complained about him shooting too much in the previous series, and he only took 6 shots in the last game, what was probably his worst game this postseason.

Overall, he needs to find other areas to help with when his shot isn't falling. In the first round, it was helping on the boards and with steals.

The first 3 games have shown that the team isn't reliant on him....against Portland.

jag
05-14-2014, 05:07 PM
Pelton launching an AGM-114 Hellfire missile of truth.

in2deep
05-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Young-mee-suck???

Thats an actual guy's name??? :lol

ElNono
05-14-2014, 05:14 PM
The first 3 games have shown that the team isn't reliant on him....against Portland.

I think what you're missing is that the Spurs are not going to change the way they play at this point. This is classic Pop, he doesn't doubt one iota what got him there.
We'll change defensive assignments, and perhaps he'll switch between playing Ayres or Baynes, but in general lines, there will be no sudden doubting his team from him.

Wether it's Beli in the 1st round or Manu in the 2nd round, the Spurs will have some players struggling in different series, and hopefully the rest can pick up the slack.
This isn't going to change against Portland, OKC, Clippers or even the Finals if we get that far. So let's hope guys get it together, be it Manu or anybody else, because that's the guys we're winning or losing with.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-14-2014, 05:21 PM
I think what you're missing is that the Spurs are not going to change the way they play at this point. This is classic Pop, he doesn't doubt one iota what got him there.
We'll change defensive assignments, and perhaps he'll switch between playing Ayres or Baynes, but in general lines, there will be no sudden doubting his team from him.

Wether it's Beli in the 1st round or Manu in the 2nd round, the Spurs will have some players struggling in different series, and hopefully the rest can pick up the slack.
This isn't going to change against Portland, OKC, Clippers or even the Finals if we get that far. So let's hope guys get it together, be it Manu or anybody else, because that's the guys we're winning or losing with.

I agree Manu is now part of that ensemble of rotating bench players of which 75% have to play well for the Spurs to win. He no longer embodies the consistent excellence that comes with being called one of the "big 3."

Parker and Duncan shoulder a much heavier burden, but they're also able to produce consistently save for Duncan's mid range jumper.

ElNono
05-14-2014, 05:27 PM
I agree Manu is now part of that ensemble of rotating bench players of which 75% have to play well for the Spurs to win. He no longer embodies the consistent excellence that comes with being called one of the "big 3."

Parker and Duncan shoulder a much heavier burden, but they're also able to produce consistently save for Duncan's mid range jumper.

I would disagree that's Pop thinking. There's only 3 guys that can suck up a storm but you can bet your house they'll be closing the games. That's TP, TD and Manu.

I would even wager that Pop would hand Manu the ball to close a game after having 5+ turnovers in a season defining game. He only does that with one of the players he considers part of the big 3.

That level of trust is never in doubt for Pop (much to the dismay of some posters here).

jARS mEsH sEt
05-14-2014, 05:33 PM
I would disagree that's Pop thinking. There's only 3 guys that can suck up a storm but you can bet your house they'll be closing the games. That's TP, TD and Manu.

I would even wager that Pop would hand Manu the ball to close a game after having 5+ turnovers in a season defining game. He only does that with one of the players he considers part of the big 3.

That level of trust is never in doubt for Pop (much to the dismay of some posters here).

Pop benched Parker down the stretch in favor of Manu during game 3 against Dallas (the game where Manu hit a potentially game tying layup but Vince followed up with that miracle 3). If Parker's not immune, what makes you think Manu is?

It would not shock me to see an ending lineup of Parker, Duncan, Leonard, Diaw/Splitter, and Green or Belinelli (if we're on offense) if Manu continues to airball 3s.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-14-2014, 05:34 PM
Actually, I throw in that caveat for Belinelli since it's obvious that he's possibly the worst wing defender on the Spurs and one of the worst wing defenders in the league, but Manu isn't all that much better these days either. It's very easy for opposing guards to blow by Manu these days.

ElNono
05-14-2014, 05:42 PM
Pop benched Parker down the stretch in favor of Manu during game 3 against Dallas (the game where Manu hit a potentially game tying layup but Vince followed up with that miracle 3). If Parker's not immune, what makes you think Manu is?

That's a different thing altogether. Tony played that quarter up until 24 secs were left and Pop sat him for that specific play. That's like when he sat Tim in Game 6 on the Finals on a specific play, or even Tony who also sat in a specific play in Game 7 of the Finals.

Pop will do that on individual plays, but generally speaking, those 3 guys are the guys that are going to be playing down the stretch.

It would not shock me to see an ending lineup of Parker, Duncan, Leonard, Diaw/Splitter, and Green or Belinelli (if we're on offense) if Manu continues to airball 3s.

I can see that on an specific play, as noted above, but overall, it won't happen, IMO.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-14-2014, 05:46 PM
I'm not so sure that was similar to Tim's benching during 6. Parker looked legitimately pissed for some reason. I was under the impression that Pop wasn't happy with him for some reason during that game.

Pop benched Tim as a tactical maneuver that he had long decided on beforehand (switch everything with a smaller, more mobile defensive lineup during last plays).

Strange Love
05-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Well it's no secret Manu has to take care of the ball more in the later rounds. Not rocket science.

Beaverfuzz
05-14-2014, 05:48 PM
Fact, no matter who you're playing against...you don't want to head back to their gym if you can help it.

ElNono
05-14-2014, 05:49 PM
I'm not so sure that was similar to Tim's benching during 6. Parker looked legitimately pissed for some reason. I was under the impression that Pop wasn't happy with him for some reason during that game.

Pop benched Tim as a tactical maneuver that he had long decided on beforehand (switch everything with a smaller, more mobile defensive lineup during last plays).

Players or posters don't have to like it. There's an inherent trust there. You'll likely never hear Tony or Tim complain about it.

ElNono
05-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Actually, I throw in that caveat for Belinelli since it's obvious that he's possibly the worst wing defender on the Spurs and one of the worst wing defenders in the league, but Manu isn't all that much better these days either. It's very easy for opposing guards to blow by Manu these days.

With the advent of Green and Kawhi, Manu looks average. But even at his age, he's miles away better than Beli, not really close, tbh...

Mikeanaro
05-14-2014, 05:52 PM
Fiction, I prefer Manu having a bad series and the whole team playing good than the opposite.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-14-2014, 05:52 PM
With the advent of Green and Kawhi, Manu looks average. But even at his age, he's miles away better than Beli, not really close, tbh...

Manu is miles better as a post defender when that rare situation arises. I see Manu playing catchup with his "reach around and try to poke the ball away" strategy far, far too often these days. I don't know if he's much better than Belinelli as a wing defender.

crc21209
05-14-2014, 05:53 PM
Meh, Manu has nothing to prove to anyone at this point in his career. He's already proven enough throughout his entire career, both in the NBA and international game. Maybe we as a fan base and the media should stop expecting so much of him. After all, he is a 36 year old guard in the league. The one thing he can do at this point is cut down the stupid turnovers and passes that he attempts in a game. And even though he is older, he needs to stop settling for 3 point jumpers and run the pick and roll with Splitter, Diaw, or Duncan more. Especially when Aldridge or Lopez is involved in the pick and roll. Those 2 guys are some of the most slow footed big men in the league at covering the pick and roll.

hater
05-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Young-mee-suck???

Thats an actual guy's name??? :lol

:lol

ElNono
05-14-2014, 06:03 PM
Manu is miles better as a post defender when that rare situation arises. I see Manu playing catchup with his "reach around and try to poke the ball away" strategy far, far too often these days. I don't know if he's much better than Belinelli as a wing defender.

Lots of players do reach-arounds (Danny is notorious), that's not a negative per-se, especially with the hand-checking rules in place. Perhaps the biggest regression is in fighting through screens and running out to shooters. In general though, he's still a pretty good perimeter defender, still beating guys to spots and flopping successfully.

hater
05-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Belli's D has been pretty spectacular this series. :tu

the most overrated thing in the Spurs team is Green's D. Next is Manu's D. :lol

superjames1992
A loss tonight would hurt a lot, tbh. It probably means this goes to game 7 and then anything can happen. The Spurs likely win the series either way, but a loss tonight would be painful.

Fortunately, I'd put the Spurs's chances at a loss tonight at <5%, fwiw, tbqh, per par.

And, yeah, King Belli's D has actually be solid in this series, from what I've seen...

Manu's D is still above average, IMO, mostly because he's pretty good at forcing turnovers (especially through various flops), even if he Turnobilis it back over at the other end. :lmao He used to be a pretty damn good defender, but age has slowed him down. Same goes for Timmy.

ducks
manu plays d?
he overgamples all the time and does not get the steals
BELLI is outplaying him so far this series

hater
05-14-2014, 06:06 PM
manu plays d?
he overgamples all the time and does not get the steals
BELLI is outplaying him so far this series

truth space junk superstorm IMO

our guards Defensive ranking this series:
1. Danny (barely)
2. Belli
3. Parker
4. manu
5. Mills

superjames1992
05-14-2014, 06:07 PM
The thing about D is that most NBA players don't actually play much defense, so even if you have someone like Manu that does stupid things on defense at times and isn't that quick these days, he's still miles better than scrubs like Gary Neal, Jamal Crawford, etc. who populate the vast majority of NBA rosters.

crc21209
05-14-2014, 06:09 PM
Belli's D has been pretty spectacular this series. :tu

the most overrated thing in the Spurs team is Green's D. Next is Manu's D. :lol

Belinelli's D has been pretty good this series. But, it's because Pop finally realized what kind of players he can and can not guard. As long as he isn't on guys like Lillard and Matthews, he can be successful. He's spent most of his time on Barton, which is good....

DarrinS
05-14-2014, 06:12 PM
Steals?

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/sa/san-antonio-spurs

superjames1992
05-14-2014, 06:16 PM
Steals?

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/sa/san-antonio-spurs
1.91 SPG is pretty crazy, tbh. Hope he can keep it up. A lot of those create fastbreak opportunities and that doesn't even include the flopping art he has mastered, which results in another 1-2 turnovers forced per game.

DAF86
05-14-2014, 06:20 PM
3. Fact or Fiction: The Spurs have something to prove in Game 5.

Gutierrez: Fiction. They lost a game in Portland. That's not exactly "sky is falling" type of stuff. They went seven games with Dallas, but there were so many oddities to that first round, you almost have to dismiss it and judge teams based on second-round performances. And the Spurs probably have looked like the best team since the round started.

Nowell: Fiction. First of all, the Blazers won 54 games, and second of all, the Spurs have so demonstrated their superiority to this point that another (unlikely) loss is not going to really expose anything about them. The only thing these Spurs have to prove is that they're able to win a championship.

Pelton: Fact, but only for one player: Manu Ginobili (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/272/manu-ginobili). Ginobili has had a terrible series, but it didn't cost San Antonio until Game 4. Should the Spurs advance, they'll need more from him in the Western Conference finals. Now would be a great time to get going.

Youngmisuk: Fiction. The Spurs have nothing to prove. They just need to finish and get as much rest as possible. Even if they lose this next game, in my mind, they still have nothing to prove. Proving something comes in the Western Conference finals and potentially beyond.

:lmao

Pelton dropping truth bombs.

Why are you so obsessed son? Is it because of 6 or because Manu made you look like an idiot with the whole 20 pts games thing?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
05-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Why are you so obsessed son? Is it because of 6 or because Manu made you look like an idiot with the whole 20 pts games thing?

He's one of our open members with special needs.

dg7md
05-14-2014, 06:31 PM
ESPN with the jinxing bads.

phyzik
05-14-2014, 06:38 PM
My co-workers wife is a pretty new Spurs fan (they just got married a few months ago and she never really watched sports before then) and Ginobili infuriates her so damn much with his turnovers, it's funny to hear from my co-worker how she turns into a rage monster when he does a stupid turn over. She is Hindi, which makes it more funny in my mind for some reason. :lol

DarrinS
05-14-2014, 07:06 PM
My co-workers wife is a pretty new Spurs fan (they just got married a few months ago and she never really watched sports before then) and Ginobili infuriates her so damn much with his turnovers, it's funny to hear from my co-worker how she turns into a rage monster when he does a stupid turn over. She is Hindi, which makes it more funny in my mind for some reason. :lol

Cool story, bro

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-14-2014, 07:13 PM
Nobody is asking me, but I think it's a combination of fact. While the Spurs could care less what the public think, it'd be nice to prove that game 4 was a fluke and that games 1-3 are actually indications of how superior SA is to Portland.