PDA

View Full Version : Scarlett Johansson sues author of novel that 'stole her image'

Franklin
05-14-2014, 07:05 PM
Again it must be French fag's idea, tbh.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/10830209/Scarlett-Johansson-sues-author-of-novel-that-stole-her-image.html

Scarlett Johansson is suing for €50,000 (£41,000) in damages the author and publisher of a novel that features a character who closely resembles her.The American actress claims that La Première Chose qu’On Regarde (The First Thing We Look At) violates her privacy and constitutes a “fraudulent and illicit use of her name, her fame and her image” for commercial gain – allegations the book’s publisher has dismissed as “crazy”.

According to Vincent Toledano, the 28-year old actress’s lawyer, the bestselling work by Grégoire Delacourt, published in March last year, also contains “defamatory claims about her private life”.

Johansson (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/10458053/How-Scarlett-Johansson-got-interesting.html) is demanding that the author and JC Lattés, the publisher, pay €50,000 in damages and interest and is seeking an injunction to stop it being translated or adapted for cinema.

"The freedom of expression that she defends as an artist is not in question,” said the actress’s lawyer. “Such activities for purely mercantile ends have nothing to do with creativity,” he said.
?Anne Veil, lawyer for the author and publisher, said such allegations were “totally scandalous”.“This is a literary, not commercial, approach. She has not been used as a product,” said Miss Veil. “Grégory Delacourt is not a paparazzo, he’s a writer!”
The heroine of La Première Chose qu’On Regarde is Janine Foucamprez, a small-time model from northern France whose life is blighted by her resemblance to Miss Johansson.
Women are jealous of her, men see her as a sex object, and she ends up dying in a car crash.
The first part of the novel is told through the eyes of a garage mechanic who “resembles a better version of Ryan Gosling” and thinks Johannson has turned up on his doorstep, leading readers to believe that the work may be about the actress.
But the illusion is shattered and “for the rest of the novel no one can be any doubt that it is about Jeanine Foucampez,’ said Emmanuelle Allibert, spokeswoman for JC Lattès.
“We have never known anything like it. It is all the more surprising for the fact that the novel is not even about Scarlett Johansson.
“It is about a woman who is Scarlet Johansson’s double. This writ seems crazy to us.”
Mr Delacourt is one of France’s most successful modern writers. His previous novel, My List of Desires, sold 450,000 copies, was translated into 47 languages and is to be adapted as a film in France.
He recently said that he was “speechless” when he discovered that Miss Johansson was suing.
“I thought she’d get in contact to ask me to go for a coffee with her. I didn’t write a novel about a celebrity,” he told RTL. “I wrote a real love story and a homage to feminine beauty, especially interior beauty.
“It freaks me out to think that when you talk of a character in a novel, judges can get involved. It’s rather sad.
“If an author can no longer mention the things that surround us, a brand of beer, a monument, an actor ... it’s going to be complicated to produce fiction.
“It’s stupefying, especially as I’m not sure she’s even read the novel since it hasn’t been translated yet.”
Johansson’s action comes amid a wider international debate over real person fiction, which came under the spotlight when Sonia Ghandi sought to ban a novel about her dynasty in India.
Defenders of the genre argue it heralds from a long-standing tradition in Western literature such as when a youthful Charlotte Bronte’s opined about the Duke of Wellington.
Mr Delacourt said there was nothing in his work to offend Johansson. "I thought she might send me flowers as it was a declaration of love for her, but she didn't understand.
"It's a strange paradox - but a very American one."
Neither the actress nor the author will be in the Paris court on Wednesday afternoon.

sook
05-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Good. Children require $$$, and nothing will ever be enough for those greedy bastards.

DJR210
05-14-2014, 07:18 PM
Rogue, why the fuck you get banned??

Franklin
05-14-2014, 07:24 PM
Rogue, why the fuck you get banned??
Some random shitty posters got my pw and were using my account for 2 weeks before the ban came in place...

Goddess doesn't read French so it must be (again) the French fag who initiated the sue, which's plain as plain as the fag's never-smile faggy face tbh.