PDA

View Full Version : Tire Questions

TheTruth
08-11-2005, 08:14 AM
My jeep needs 4 new tires, but I can only afford 2 right now. Is it a bad idea to just get the 2 now, and get the other 2 in a couple a weeks when I can afford them? I heard somewhere (this boad I think) that it isn't a good idea to have both new and used tires on a vehicle.

Clandestino
08-11-2005, 08:17 AM
if that is all you can afford, i'd say 2 good ones are better than 4 bad ones...

SpursWoman
08-11-2005, 08:18 AM
if that is all you can afford, i'd say 2 good ones are better than 4 bad ones...

Definitely ... unless you're planning on driving 100,000 miles until you can afford the second pair. :)

Clandestino
08-11-2005, 08:19 AM
yeah, you'd need to the get the 3rd and 4th as soon as you could so you wouldn't have uneven wear..

TheTruth
08-11-2005, 08:21 AM
My poor ass can barely afford rent and school, let alone 4 new tires. But yeah, I'd be getting the other 2 in 2 weeks (next payday).

Thanks for the help.

Useruser666
08-11-2005, 08:25 AM
It's not really that bad. Just replace only the front or back ones at the same time . Don't put both new ones on the same side. This only works if the tires are similar to the other two old ones. I would recomend replacing the drive wheels. They recieve the most wear and it's more important that they have traction than the other two.

TheTruth
08-11-2005, 08:32 AM
It's not really that bad. Just replace only the front or back ones at the same time . Don't put both new ones on the same side. This only works if the tires are similar to the other two old ones. I would recomend replacing the drive wheels. They recieve the most wear and it's more important that they have traction than the other two.
thanks. i'll do that.

SWC Bonfire
08-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Although the drive tires always get more wear, I always have put new tires on the front and move the older ones to the back. This gives you the best treads on the front in case it rains and you don't want to hydraplane, especially in a jeep. Also, new tires made of hard compounds are a little slick when new, so you can end up driving like the Dukes of Hazzard on accident with them in the rear. By the time you get the two others, they will be like new but worn in enough to move to the rear.

User is right, don't put two tires on the same side of the vehicle. I doubt any tire shop would even install them this way, it's dangerous.

SWC Bonfire
08-11-2005, 08:35 AM
Always do some research on what tire compound is being used (some manufacturers give milages, some treadwear ratings). It can be cheaper over the long haul if you get a more expensive tire. If you have aggressive treads/offroad tires however, you are pretty much going to get crappy treadwear life no matter what.

Useruser666
08-11-2005, 08:36 AM
I doubt any tire shop would even install them this way, it's dangerous.

Oh there are places!!! :lol

Side note: I saw someone driving with two SPARES on a Honda Civic. BOTH of them were on the right side!!! :spin

DrRich
08-11-2005, 09:24 AM
My poor ass can barely afford rent and school, let alone 4 new tires. But yeah, I'd be getting the other 2 in 2 weeks (next payday).

Thanks for the help.

Discount tire sometimes has interest free credit plans. Mine was 6 months interest free which made it easy to pay them off! But not everybody wants to have to apply for credit!

Sportcamper
08-11-2005, 09:59 AM
With the cost of SUV tires people do this all the time...I have waited months before purchasing the next two tires...If you have tread conflict you will feel it a freeway speeds...(You will be fighting the wheel Left & Right)...

SWC Bonfire
08-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Discount tire sometimes has interest free credit plans. Mine was 6 months interest free which made it easy to pay them off! But not everybody wants to have to apply for credit!

Not to be totally contradictory to everyone else in this thread, but that sounds like a really bad idea, buying items designed to wear out on credit. If you pay it off in 6 months, no problem. But most people don't.

You're doing the right thing, paying as you go, unless you already have the $$ and want to up your credit rating. :tu

travis2
08-11-2005, 10:00 AM
With the cost of SUV tires people do this all the time...I have waited months before purchasing the next two tires...If you have tread conflict you will feel it a freeway speeds...(The car will wonder & you will be fighting the wheel Left & Right)...

Yes, but what will it wonder? I wonder...

Sportcamper
08-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Travis...I bet there is a forum spell checker job just waiting for you & SA Mikey...I don’t know if it pays well but I am sure there is one available...