PDA

View Full Version : Working 12 hour shifts, alternating, weird schedules, etc.

Ricky Davis
05-16-2014, 10:05 AM
hi guise

so with my degree/career, I'm pretty much required to work a job that requires 12 hour shifts, alternating day/nights and all sorts of weird mix ups and it's hard to get a set amount of sleep, a couple of TINGs

1) the work is good, shekels are great for someone my age

2) no i can't quit and "pursue my passion" like a certain particular sex is allowed to do in this country. I'

3) you eventually get a 7-10 days off so you can catch up on sleep, but you have to work consecutive weeks in a row first

i've tried zzzquil but that sometimes doesn't work for night shifts. Anybody who's done this sort of work have any sort of tips/medicinal advice? (i.e. stay from ______ or take ________ etc)

tbh I know of a certain, gambling Laker fan who might have some good advice, althought I'd like to stay away from illegal drugs if at all possible imho fwiw :lol

TDMVPDPOY
05-16-2014, 10:07 AM
u dont live on work site right?

leemajors
05-16-2014, 10:23 AM
I work 5am-2pm and have for the last 4 years or so. I just try to be in bed by 10:30 most of the time. I started riding my bike ~100-150 miles per week around that time and it got way easier to sleep, but sounds like 12 hour shifts may make regular exercise difficult. Other than that I have some Yerba Mate around 7 every morning and it keeps me pretty alert the rest of my shift.

DD
05-16-2014, 10:23 AM
hi guise

so with my degree/career, I'm pretty much required to work a job that requires 12 hour shifts, alternating day/nights and all sorts of weird mix ups and it's hard to get a set amount of sleep, a couple of TINGs

1) the work is good, shekels are great for someone my age

2) no i can't quit and "pursue my passion" like a certain particular sex is allowed to do in this country. I'

3) you eventually get a 7-10 days off so you can catch up on sleep, but you have to work consecutive weeks in a row first

i've tried zzzquil but that sometimes doesn't work for night shifts. Anybody who's done this sort of work have any sort of tips/medicinal advice? (i.e. stay from ______ or take ________ etc)

tbh I know of a certain, gambling Laker fan who might have some good advice, althought I'd like to stay away from illegal drugs if at all possible imho fwiw :lol

That guy's an asshole, don't trust him.

What have you tried for sleep? (Melatonin, Ambien, etc)? I do Ambien, but I'm the worst insomniac I've ever met. I work 12 hr shifts 7 days a week, so I absolutely have to be able to hit the killswitch when needed--and Ambien helps me do that. That being said, it's definitely not for everybody, and some have crazy side effects (sleepwalking, sleep eating, etc). Don't drink any coffee past noon and cut soda out of your diet. Can't really say too much more w/o knowing your history tbh

Ricky Davis
05-16-2014, 10:51 AM
I work 5am-2pm and have for the last 4 years or so. I just try to be in bed by 10:30 most of the time. I started riding my bike ~100-150 miles per week around that time and it got way easier to sleep, but sounds like 12 hour shifts may make regular exercise difficult. Other than that I have some Yerba Mate around 7 every morning and it keeps me pretty alert the rest of my shift.

actually, I live on-site so no rush hour or anything. a 12 hour shift is only 12 hours instead of 12 + commute, running errands etc. so I'm always able to get a 20-30 min. jog in but only when it's light outside where I am due to grizzly bears in the area (dead srs)

Ricky Davis
05-16-2014, 10:53 AM
That guy's an asshole, don't trust him.

What have you tried for sleep? (Melatonin, Ambien, etc)? I do Ambien, but I'm the worst insomniac I've ever met. I work 12 hr shifts 7 days a week, so I absolutely have to be able to hit the killswitch when needed--and Ambien helps me do that. That being said, it's definitely not for everybody, and some have crazy side effects (sleepwalking, sleep eating, etc). Don't drink any coffee past noon and cut soda out of your diet. Can't really say too much more w/o knowing your history tbh

Melatonin and Zzzquil is all I've done. When you say coffee past noon, is that assuming a 6am-6pm shift? so if I work 6 pm to 6 am don't do it after midnight? etc. I've never been a soda person, used to do energy drinks but I've cut that out too at this point. Just sticking to coffee/Starbucks drinks at convenience stores

DD
05-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Melatonin and Zzzquil is all I've done. When you say coffee past noon, is that assuming a 6am-6pm shift? so if I work 6 pm to 6 am don't do it after midnight? etc. I've never been a soda person, used to do energy drinks but I've cut that out too at this point. Just sticking to coffee/Starbucks drinks at convenience stores

If you're working nights I would try to do without coffee--but you know your body better than anyone else. Sleep is the most important thing when you work like we do (odd hours, living onsite, etc). Have you tried Ambien? Zzzquil is good, but you're going to eventually need more and more, and slamming Benadryl every night will cause drowsiness the next day.

When I take an Ambien, I know I have a stay of execution for 20 minutes before I pass out and am guaranteed 8 hours of good sleep. How's Williston, btw? Almost signed on with a company up there (Onsite Safety), but the Afghan contract finally came through. Getting used to living on-site, but the jet fighters passing by every couple hours gets old fast.

Nigga, look into Sudan for next year...got a 6 month gig lined up for 150K with a 20K EOC bonus--but you're guaranteed to get shot at from what I hear:lol

Katherine Robinson
05-16-2014, 11:12 AM
Valarian root will prime you for sleep and potentially enhance your REM sleep, although it's not a solution to insomnia. Drugs such as Ambien, diphenhydramine and doxylamine will possibly inhibit your REM sleep and make you feel as if you slept less than you truly did.

The only sure-fire way to get better sleep is to diminish your bodies energy at a greater degree. Find ways to work our harder and longer, salute for finding real work and not taking the easy way like liberal arts majors.

Blake
05-16-2014, 11:36 AM
actually, I live on-site so no rush hour or anything. a 12 hour shift is only 12 hours instead of 12 + commute, running errands etc. so I'm always able to get a 20-30 min. jog in but only when it's light outside where I am due to grizzly bears in the area (dead srs)

You up in det Dakota drilling area? I've heard it's a nice gig for recent grads from colleges such as Texas tech or utsa, tbh.

DD
05-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Valarian root will prime you for sleep and potentially enhance your REM sleep, although it's not a solution to insomnia. Drugs such as Ambien, diphenhydramine and doxylamine will possibly inhibit your REM sleep and make you feel as if you slept less than you truly did.

This is an extrememly pt-dependent statement, to be fair. For instance, Valerian Root has never done shit for me, nor has Benadryl. Some people get knocked on their ass by Benadryl. Some people have great success with Melatonin. It all depends. Any pharmaceutical has potential to affect a pt in a different way. Take Ativan, for example. It's a potent benzo that almost always sedates a pt rather effectively--but in some pt's it makes them batshit crazy.

Ambien--and I already stressed I'm a terrible insomnia pt, and that it's not for everybody--has been a godsend, and I have no drowsiness the next day like I did with Benadryl. If he responds well to it, then by all means use it. If not, it won't take long to figure out it's not for him. You can bust your ass for 12 hours, take a warm shower, jerk off, and still not be able to sleep. It's actually quite common.

leemajors
05-16-2014, 12:43 PM
I don't know how much computer work your job involves, but I love this program:

https://justgetflux.com/

Automatically adjusts your screen brightness according to the time of day and your area, sunrise/set times. It can definitely help with eye strain in front of a screen while working odd hours, but some people hate it. I have it on my work and personal computers.

Xevious
05-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Shift work is always challenging. You have to work long hours, nights, weekends, holidays, whatever. I've worked 7p-7a for about seven years. My only advice is to get into a routine. Work as many days in a row as you can so you can have more off in a row to recoup. Sleeping between shifts is never a problem. It's how to sleep on days off so I can have a life and spend time with the wife and kids that's challenging. So I usually just nap till midday when I'm coming off so I can go back to bed that night. Then take a short nap in the afternoon on days I'm going back to work again.

Franklin
05-16-2014, 10:59 PM
sounds like a good one tbh, so while you're working away from home your wife would have a full 12-hour time to have fun with neighbor blacks...

Infinite_limit
05-16-2014, 11:40 PM
Eat + Masturbation

SanAntonioSpurs23
05-18-2014, 06:53 PM
I'm up in Williston as well. I normally use melatonin

chunticakes
05-19-2014, 01:50 AM
I was the same when I first started working nights but you get used to it. When I wanna sleep straight without waking up I'll either eat + have a few beers or take some restoril or take some xanax. But like I said lad your body gets used to the fucked up schedule.

DD
05-19-2014, 01:53 AM
I'm up in Williston as well. I normally use melatonin

Do they provide housing onsite? If so, is it docked in your check? I hear living expenses are exorbitant up there.

SanAntonioSpurs23
05-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Do they provide housing onsite? If so, is it docked in your check? I hear living expenses are exorbitant up there.

Depends on where you work. A lot of companies do a rotational schedule. I work 21 days on and 9 off and my company pays for plane tickets home. A lot of companies will give you a housing allowance because the rent up here is ridiculous. Last I saw it is the most expensive place to live in the nation. You would be lucky to find a 2 bed 2 bath apartment for less than $2500 a month.

KarmaKarma
05-21-2014, 07:24 PM
This is an extrememly pt-dependent statement, to be fair. For instance, Valerian Root has never done shit for me, nor has Benadryl. Some people get knocked on their ass by Benadryl. Some people have great success with Melatonin. It all depends. Any pharmaceutical has potential to affect a pt in a different way. Take Ativan, for example. It's a potent benzo that almost always sedates a pt rather effectively--but in some pt's it makes them batshit crazy.

Ambien--and I already stressed I'm a terrible insomnia pt, and that it's not for everybody--has been a godsend, and I have no drowsiness the next day like I did with Benadryl. If he responds well to it, then by all means use it. If not, it won't take long to figure out it's not for him. You can bust your ass for 12 hours, take a warm shower, jerk off, and still not be able to sleep. It's actually quite common.

truth. :wakeup