PDA

View Full Version : What offensive scheme do the Spurs need to beat OKC?

Pako
05-16-2014, 12:07 PM
How can the Spurs exploit the defense of OKC?
I would like to see the Spurs pick n roll against Porkins... I think, in terms of mobility, he is there weakest link. If Parker can continue to make those mid range shot, he is unstoppable...
Another one, if Kawhi can make Durant work on the other side of the floor that will be big. I hope Kawhi will be effective posting him up.

spurraider21
05-16-2014, 12:27 PM
You don't need to be particularly great on offense... look at what the Grizz did. Keep okc in the half court, don't turn it over (which leads to their transition game aka guaranteed two points).

In our last reg season matchup we held a lead at halftime despite having Duncan struggling because we kept the pace slow. In the 2nd half we started turning it over and the game got out of hand.

SsKSpurs21
05-16-2014, 01:23 PM
You don't need to be particularly great on offense... look at what the Grizz did. Keep okc in the half court, don't turn it over (which leads to their transition game aka guaranteed two points).

In our last reg season matchup we held a lead at halftime despite having Duncan struggling because we kept the pace slow. In the 2nd half we started turning it over and the game got out of hand.

agreed. its the passing lanes we have to worry about. our offense works great when we are swinging the ball. the problem is that OKC is quick enough to disrupt those passing lanes. that is what killed us in that second half. we kept swinging the ball trying to find the best shot possible. our guys need to start being more confident and taking the shot that they get, the more the ball swings, the more likely it is to get stolen.

bottomline offensively is that we gotta make our shots. not cold spells with this team because they have guys that can score at will. we dont have that luxury, especially if parker is having a bad night.

I think the real keys will be splitter and kawhi. if they can put up solid games and hold down ibaka/collison and durant respectively. we have a pretty good shot.

Defensively, if westbrook is struggling early, i say you lock down everyone else and let him get his. he will eventually kill the team with his hero ball antics.

ElNono
05-16-2014, 01:27 PM
Give it to Manu and clear out, tbh...

Mugen
05-16-2014, 01:29 PM
Give it to Manu and clear out, tbh...

Do the first 4 rows get some type of protection for that play tbh?

ElNono
05-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Do the first 4 rows get some type of protection for that play tbh?

free beer should be good enough, IMO

Arcadian
05-16-2014, 02:09 PM
I think Kawhi is going to mind fuck them. They're not used to having passes stolen and dunked on the other end multiple times per game.

Mugen
05-16-2014, 02:09 PM
free beer should be good enough, IMO

They should at least be allowed to keep the ball when Manu passes it to them tbh....

DBMethos
05-16-2014, 02:13 PM
Any scheme that prevents Turnobili from rearing his ugly head. Now if Ginobili wants to show up, that's another story.

Mal
05-16-2014, 02:14 PM
Make open shots

ElNono
05-16-2014, 02:22 PM
They should at least be allowed to keep the ball when Manu passes it to them tbh....

No way Silver allows that. Maybe have an option to buy it for $250.0... $400.0 for two...

benstanfield
05-16-2014, 02:23 PM
Don't force the ball to Tim against Perk.

If sefalosha guards TP, run Westbrook off screens and exploit his bad team defense.

Don't turn the ball over.

Probably going to have to pace the game differently than we have so far. We can't win a track meet with these guys.

Play Boris against Ibaka and run stuff through him in the midrange post. That will mitigate his help D at the rim.

bench has to win their matchup basically to the same degree they did against POR. Mills, Manu, Marco, Diaw have to be our advantage against Jackson, Fisher, Butler, Collison.

Flop. If they're going to play physical you have to get I the bonus early and get in foul trouble.

tmtcsc
05-16-2014, 02:23 PM
Lots of funny & sad going on in this thread. I appreciate everything Manu has done for the Spurs but he was back to his old careless ways in the Blazer series. I hope he shakes that shit off and gets back to playing smart, efficient basketball. He seemed to really want the time off after Game 5.

Mugen
05-16-2014, 02:27 PM
No way Silver allows that. Maybe have an option to buy it for $250.0... $400.0 for two...

That's a pretty sweet cut for Manu and, by extension, his manager.....

ElNono
05-16-2014, 02:27 PM
Spurs need to move the ball. Not much different from what they've done all season. Let Boris create in the post, lots of off-the-ball movement and setting solid screens. Find the shooters in the corners. Some side pick & roll, some top of the key pick & roll. Some kawhi postup. Back cuts, some transition when we get stops, etc. Mid range will matter in this series, IMO, and I'm hoping Patty and Marco will be ready.

tmtcsc
05-16-2014, 02:28 PM
Make Durant earn everything he gets but do whatever it takes to keep the ball out of his hands. The more Westbrick has the ball, the better the Spurs' chances of getting a turnover or transition opportunity. Westbrick has amazing energy and determination but he's often way out of control. Also makes horrible decisions when given the chance.

We have a better, smarter team. We need to use our bench wisely to tire those dudes out. Finally: Tim, Manu and Tony need to believe they can win. So much of their issues are in their heads. OKC firmly planted themselves there 2 years ago. These aren't the same teams. The Spurs are much better now and wise to how OKC operates.

IrisHockey
05-16-2014, 02:30 PM
:lol just give up, seriously.

Budkin
05-16-2014, 02:37 PM
:lol just give up, seriously.

Are you actually a Sonics fan? If so why do you root for the Thunder. Just curious tbh.

ElNono
05-16-2014, 02:37 PM
Are you actually a Sonics fan? If so why do you root for the Thunder. Just curious tbh.

mavsfan