PDA

View Full Version : *** Official KD Ripthrough grievance Thread ***

ElNono
05-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Please use this thread to vent about KD 'signature' rip-through 'move' throughout this series. It should be noted that this is no longer called a shooting foul starting this season, BUT, KD has been smart enough to only use it when his team is in the bonus, which means it's automatically free throws regardless.

Here's an example of this 'play' used successfully against the Spurs:
OXYxwBpXEvw

EVAY
05-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Well it is hard for me to vent about it since Duncan perfected the move himself and has used it historically to great effect.

If we are stupid enough to fall for it, it seems to me that we deserve the foul.

littlecoyotecoin
05-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Well it is hard for me to vent about it since Duncan perfected the move himself and has used it historically to great effect.

If we are stupid enough to fall for it, it seems to me that we deserve the foul.

This. End of thread.

ElNono
05-16-2014, 12:50 PM

Timmy is actually one of the precursor of that move....

Chinook
05-16-2014, 12:54 PM
I do think they should make a rule change about it, as it literally is the shooter creating contact from what was perfectly legal defense before the swim-through occurs. The league is supposedly trending toward not rewarding offensive players who jump into their opponents, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this foul disappear.

ElNono
05-16-2014, 01:06 PM
I do think they should make a rule change about it, as it literally is the shooter creating contact from what was perfectly legal defense before the swim-through occurs. The league is supposedly trending toward not rewarding offensive players who jump into their opponents, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this foul disappear.

They did change the rule this season not to award a shooting foul. The problem is that if a team is in the bonus, it doesn't matter (plus your guy still racks up a foul).

Chinook
05-16-2014, 01:17 PM
They did change the rule this season not to award a shooting foul. The problem is that if a team is in the bonus, it doesn't matter (plus your guy still racks up a foul).

Yes, I know that. I like the change from a practical standpoint. Idiots like Greg Anthony can't seem to understand that going into a shooting motion after feeling contact is not the same thing as being fouled in the act. But I don't think it should be a foul at all. The defender is allowed to have his hand in that spot, so if the shooter initiates contact, it shouldn't be a foul. It doesn't matter to me if it's a natural shooting motion or not.

ElNono
05-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Yes, I know that. I like the change from a practical standpoint. Idiots like Greg Anthony can't seem to understand that going into a shooting motion after feeling contact is not the same thing as being fouled in the act. But I don't think it should be a foul at all. The defender is allowed to have his hand in that spot, so if the shooter initiates contact, it shouldn't be a foul. It doesn't matter to me if it's a natural shooting motion or not.

It's a by-product of hand-checking rule changes. I do agree that it's gone a bit too far. It's also not just this play, the proliferation of 4-point plays this season has been going up at an alarming rate, IMO (even if the Spurs have been beneficiaries too).

Leetonidas
05-16-2014, 01:27 PM
It shouldn't be any type of foul. It's the same shit like how Westbrick has mastered driving into the lane, throwing himself into the defenders chest, and banking the shot off the window for the and 1. The NBA really needs to review what is actually considered a foul because this offensive player initiating contact shit is complete BS

Dex
05-16-2014, 01:30 PM

http://cdn.gifbay.com/2013/07/flawless_victory-65136.gif

superbigtime
05-16-2014, 02:08 PM
It shouldn't be any type of foul. It's the same shit like how Westbrick has mastered driving into the lane, throwing himself into the defenders chest, and banking the shot off the window for the and 1. The NBA really needs to review what is actually considered a foul because this offensive player initiating contact shit is complete BS

Absolutely agree.

UZER
05-16-2014, 02:17 PM

I've said this as well...

If the officials stopped awarding block / charge calls every time a player drives then players would adjust and start playing defense instead of running to a stop and stopping a millisecond before the player gets there, or just driving and flailing.

Stop bailing players out all the time!!!

DMC
05-16-2014, 02:27 PM
Please use this thread to vent about KD 'signature' rip-through 'move' throughout this series. It should be noted that this is no longer called a shooting foul starting this season, BUT, KD has been smart enough to only use it when his team is in the bonus, which means it's automatically free throws regardless.

Here's an example of this 'play' used successfully against the Spurs:
OXYxwBpXEvw

Easy to counter. Don't put your hands on him.

DMC
05-16-2014, 02:33 PM
It's a by-product of hand-checking rule changes. I do agree that it's gone a bit too far. It's also not just this play, the proliferation of 4-point plays this season has been going up at an alarming rate, IMO (even if the Spurs have been beneficiaries too).

It's part of a concerted effort to up the tempo in the game by upping the scoring, however even as up and down as the game was last night, I felt every time I glanced at the screen Durant or Westbrook was shooting free throws. So the crowd is paying to see FT shooting contests. The purpose of awarding a FT is because the player would probably have scored otherwise if not fouled, however these days the FT is a viable way to score points instead of being able to do so in the motion offense or in the post. You get a couple guys to score 35 points from the FT line. Imagine that many penalty kicks in soccer, or if every other play in the NFL was a field goal attempt, or if a batter is walked or hit, that's an automatic run scored without needing a hit. That's about how basketball has become.

JohnRambo
05-16-2014, 05:20 PM
KD may be the only "superstar" who uses such a disgusting/ridiculous move as his signature.

Mel_13
05-16-2014, 05:25 PM

Exactly what I was thinking.