PDA

View Full Version : Thunderous Adams Thrives

hater
05-17-2014, 05:32 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/10056218/Thunderous-Adams-thrives-in-rookie-season

Within a year, Steven Adams has gone from raw talent to an NBA cult hero. Ben Stanley travelled to Oklahoma City last week, and found a young man thriving in the playoffs - and missing the good old Kiwi pie.

Kevin Durant adjusts his tie, and reaches into Russell Westbrook's locker to borrow some aftershave. Westbrook swings up his hoodie, and thumbs his iPhone. Kendrick Perkins folds a towel, then turns around to face the herd of reporters and photographers only inches behind him.

Before the first reporter speaks, the home locker room of Oklahoma City's Chesapeake Energy Centre is silent. It shouldn't be - and it certainly wasn't 20 minutes before.

The Oklahoma City Thunder had just pulled off one of the great escapes in the NBA playoff history, beating the Los Angeles Clippers 105-104 in a thrilling western conference game five semifinal that came down to three Westbrook free throws with seconds remaining on the clock.

The Thunder went on to win game six and advance to the Western Conference Finals. If the Thunder win the NBA title this season, people will point to this game as a key victory in the journey.

Perkins plays a straight bat to the media: "We played as a team. We knew we could win." Out of the showers wanders Steven Adams - the second last, behind Derek Fisher - to get dressed.

He bends his seven-foot frame into his locker - which is wedged between those of Serge Ibaka and Nick Collison - and grabs a T-shirt. Finished with Perkins, the throng of reporters surround the Kiwi. There's no sleek black suit for Adams like the one Durant wears, nor a hoodie like Westbrook: he rocks the T-shirt and track pants combo.

Adams turns around - and the first reporter pipes up: "Steven, what are your emotions right now?" Adams grins.

"Man, the dopamine levels were pumping," he says. "Me and Grant [Jerrett] - we had a weird feeling that we were going to come back.

"And then it happens. I was like, ‘yeahhh'." Adams pumps his fist. The locker room silence disappears, and a ripple of laughter spreads through the reporters. "Oops, sorry," he says.

Given Adams' path to the NBA, it's astonishing to think what the Kiwi has achieved this year. His childhood and teenage years in Rotorua and Wellington, coupled with the death of his father when he was young, all provided reasons why achieving sporting stardom would be unlikely.

Though his popularity in New Zealand has never wavered, there were plenty of critics when the Thunder took Adams, who had just one year of college ball under his belt at the University of Pittsburgh.

You'll do well to find those critics now, with several big name reporters in the press pool at Chesapeake Energy Arena last week describing Adams as a centre with the potential to be one of the best "big men" in the NBA.

In the game five thriller, Adams was the Thunder's standout off the bench. Tallying 23 minutes and 13 seconds of game time, the Kiwi scored nine points, made four rebounds, two blocks and an assist. Adams nailed a two-handed dunk after a shimmy worthy of an All Black sent him into open territory, before making a massive block of Matt Barnes' shot just 13 seconds later; a phase that brought the arena - nicknamed "Loud City" - to its feet.

Ad Feedback

But despite his growth as a player, his reported income of about US$2.3 million a year and the fact he's playing against, and alongside, the biggest names in basketball, you'll not find a shred of ego when you speak with Adams. An interview with him is cramped with plenty of subtle jokes, questions of his own - and nostalgia about home, especially the pies.

"Man, I miss them. I swear to God, bro," he says. "There's actually a pie place in LA. I met this Aussie guy - he was a media dude - and he said there was a place that sold pies and stuff. But it's Australian. I feel like I'm betraying New Zealand if I go there. I've got a really big craving for them."

On court, Adams seems to ooze time when he plays, moving without rush or concern, but with an eagerness to be involved in everything he can.

Plenty is made of Adams' physical style and ability to get under opponents' skin by not backing down , with five players tossed from games this year for lashing out at the Kiwi.

He laughs when asked why he seems to grind opponents so much. "I just go out there and try to play as hard as I can. I do exactly what the coaches say. If they say ‘go and make sure you hit dudes', then I'm like ‘OK, I'll hit dudes'. People get mad and they hit me. It's kind of like a routine, really. It's pretty weird."

It's only in the last fortnight that Adams has really started capturing the headlines in the US.

During his league MVP acceptance speech, Durant gave Adams an emotional tribute - talking about his admiration for the Kiwi's affable character, and journey from Rotorua to OKC. "You mean a lot to me, and you inspire me too," Durant said.

Last week, The New York Times ran a big article on Adams, saluting the "unvarnished naivete" of the Kiwi's physical approach to the game.

Featuring in the United States' biggest newspaper didn't interest Adams. "I'm not disrespecting The New York Times or anything, but I don't care [about being in there]. But the MVP speech - that meant a lot more just because he's a team-mate and the fact that I never talk about my background, at all.

"Obviously with the New Zealand stuff, I always brag about New Zealand. But my own story - I never talk about it at all. He [Durant] said that he looked it up - and I was like ‘wow, here's someone who cares'. So, yeah, I felt differently towards him."

Adams hopes to head back to New Zealand after the playoffs finish, but isn't sure for how long.

Despite his success this year, he acknowledges he still has plenty to learn as a basketballer - and plans to spend the majority of his off-season in Oklahoma City working on his game. That drive to improve means Adams will probably miss the Tall Blacks' World Cup campaign in Spain later this year.

Next season provides an even bigger opportunity. With fellow centre Perkins off-contract, Adams could find himself alongside superstars Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka as a regular in the team's starting five.

Learning from the team's big names - and veterans - has provided Adams with his biggest lessons as a basketballer this season.

"All of them repeat the same thing. You've got to get into a routine, and stick through it. That's all I've been doing. Depending on what your routine is, that's how far you'll go." Amongst all the older heads, Adams identifies with Fisher the most.

"I literally try to do everything Fish does," Adams says of the veteran point guard, who won five NBA titles with the Lakers.

"If Fish eats egg whites, I'll eat egg whites. I'd never eat egg whites - but he just ate egg whites, so I did it too. Whatever he does, I'll do. I always mimic him - and it seems to be working for me, as far as the routine goes."

How about lessons learnt as a man? One who has gone from raw potential to NBA first-class in one season. A bloke who has gone from college player to one of New Zealand's biggest name athletes, while still retaining an open sense of humour about the journey - and his own future.

"Shit, that's a hard one, bro," he says.

"I guess, just learn to be myself."

Adams laughs, and slaps the door of his locker. "That's way cheesy, bro. It's super cheesy. Make the headline ‘cheesy Adams'."

Anything you say, mate.

- Sunday Star Times

KL2
05-17-2014, 05:41 PM
Time to unleash Baynes.

Splits
05-17-2014, 05:43 PM
Why even play the games? Adams is basically Bill Laimbeer but better, Thunder in 3.

spurs10
05-17-2014, 05:45 PM
"Go out and hit dudes?" Sounds like Ibaka's nut punching is routine and promoted by the coaches. Glad he is stupid enough to say it in the press.

RD2191
05-17-2014, 05:45 PM
Grapenutz and Adams are both faggots.

hater
05-17-2014, 07:20 PM
"...but he is a goon and will injure our guys..." :cry

exstatic
05-17-2014, 09:32 PM
Why even play the games? Adams is basically Bill Laimbeer but better, Thunder in 3.

Laimbeer was a pretty deadly 3 point shooter, and won an NBA rebounding crown.

spurraider21
05-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Laimbeer was a pretty deadly 3 point shooter
come again?

daslicer
05-17-2014, 09:40 PM
This guy is not Laimbeer considering Laimbeer made it to the all-star game, and was a great rebounder along with being a great jump shooting bigman. People always think that Laimbeer was just a goon but forget he was actually a pretty good player. I don't think Adams will ever have the career Laimbeer had.

Splits
05-17-2014, 10:14 PM
The Laimbeer comparison is ludicrous, it was a joke coming out of that faggot thunder fan downstairs who's serious about it.

Sean Cagney
05-18-2014, 01:23 AM
This guy is not Laimbeer considering Laimbeer made it to the all-star game, and was a great rebounder along with being a great jump shooting bigman. People always think that Laimbeer was just a goon but forget he was actually a pretty good player. I don't think Adams will ever have the career Laimbeer had.

But remember he can be a future HOF player!!!! Reggie Jackson said so!

benstanfield
05-18-2014, 02:03 AM
I'm happy for OKC that they have found the new Ibaka replacement, they can now trade Ibaka for shitty picks or Kevin Martin, because Adams will surely mould into the second coming of Hakeem this series.

look_at_g_shred
05-18-2014, 02:38 AM
Damn ibaka was holding back Adams this whole time!!

will_spurs
05-18-2014, 03:05 AM
At least he comes out as a funny guy. The player he reminds me most is Bonner, obviously.

Knoxxx
05-18-2014, 08:51 AM
Adams > Splitter or Duncan

We're in trouble!

xtremesteven33
05-18-2014, 09:44 AM
If Laimbeer were playing today he would be the best Center in the NBA.

DarrinS
05-18-2014, 10:07 AM
Adams would destroy a prime Shaq. We are doomed.

SpursFan86
05-18-2014, 10:25 AM
Adams is a more athletic Wilt with Dirk's shooting ability. We're fucked tbh.

Dex
05-18-2014, 10:52 AM
Spurs will have no answer Steven "Hakeem" Adams. Too bad Ibaka got hurt.

Budkin
05-18-2014, 12:57 PM
:lmao No one even heard of this dude until last week. Now he's already winning MVPs and threatening all time records??

will_spurs
05-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Adams is so good, he might even play during this series.

PingPong
05-18-2014, 02:31 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/10056218/Thunderous-Adams-thrives-in-rookie-season (http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/10056218/Thunderous-Adams-thrives-in-rookie-season)

- Sunday Star Times

What do you expect from a Kiwi Newspaper? Obviously praising the national hero. What it means to NBA?

will_spurs
05-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Adams is so good, he might even play during this series.

17 minutes in Game 1 for the GOAT.

unleashbaynes
05-20-2014, 09:29 AM
My nigga baynes shits all over this scrub. He can't handle the big banger.

hater
05-20-2014, 02:13 PM
:lmao Stven Adams was a bit awestuck from the WCF lights.

this is far fom over folks. Steven will become instrumental to OKC to extend this series and.putting it in hands of the officials.

:lmao thinking this series is over. Shit just getting started and its going to be a doozy :lmao

urunobili
05-20-2014, 02:14 PM
Nice poke to Diaw's eye :tu

Dex
05-20-2014, 02:18 PM

this is far fom over folks. Steven will become instrumental to OKC to extend this series and.putting it in hands of the officials.

:lmao thinking this series is over. Shit just getting started and its going to be a doozy :lmao

So next time he is going to pull the eyeball all the way out?

hater
05-20-2014, 02:24 PM
So next time he is going to pull the eyeball all the way out?

Thats Diaw's mistake. You dont get your face in between the ball and Adams :lol

series is far fom over folks

look_at_g_shred
05-20-2014, 02:29 PM

http://cdnl.complex.com/mp/620/400/80/0/bb/1/ffffff/0323910fbf5184f52d8b74552f91902b/images_/assets/CHANNEL_IMAGES/POP_CULTURE/2013/04/the-50-funniest-gifs-of-ron-swanson/zvwaj_48_563115.gif

superbigtime
05-20-2014, 02:51 PM
NBA cult hero? M hm.

SupremeGuy
05-20-2014, 04:26 PM
Awesome thread, tbh.

Steven "the Dream" Adams. :lol

heyheymymy
05-20-2014, 04:49 PM
honestly, this is why ibaka is already rehabbing and shooting standing still, he's scared that the future HOFer Adams is going to steal his mins.

all i know is, the new nike air adams are so hot right now.

spurraider21
05-21-2014, 10:19 PM
:lmao worst poster on the forum, and that's saying something