PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Attacking KD's Defense

ezau
05-20-2014, 12:39 AM
Throughout this year's playoffs, POP has made it a point to attack the other team's best offensive player. We saw he did it against Dirk Lillard, and now KD. If KD gets caught in switches with either Duncan or Diaw, the Spurs are going to attack that defense. Also, Doc Rivers taught us how terrible KD's post-game is, which why Manu and sometimes Green did a great job on KD tonight.

MI21
05-20-2014, 12:47 AM
I think his D is perhaps the things that stops him from being the best player in the league. It's pretty ok, but isn't godly like LeBron's can be, particularly late in games.

testies
05-20-2014, 12:58 AM
I think his D is perhaps the things that stops him from being the best player in the league. It's pretty ok, but isn't godly like LeBron's can be, particularly late in games.

lebron's defense is so overrated, eventhough he's a good defensive player

durant's defense is average and we need to go hard on him

also make westbrook chase loops

MI21
05-20-2014, 01:02 AM

durant's defense is average and we need to go hard on him

also make westbrook chase loops

LeBron's defense is entirely overated in the regular season and vs shit teams.

Against good teams he generally brings it and his versatility is legit as fuck.

sexinthatsx
05-20-2014, 02:15 AM

The reason Lebron's defense is considered "good" is because he's the darling of the NBA, and refs swallow the whistle when he's playing defense, where other players would be scared to pick up that 5th foul or foul out.

cd98
05-20-2014, 07:04 AM
Despite people thinking Duncan played poorly, he wore out Durrant when Durrant played the 4. That's something that's going to hurt Thunder's small ball line up.

testies
05-20-2014, 07:23 AM
Despite people thinking Duncan played poorly, he wore out Durrant when Durrant played the 4. That's something that's going to hurt Thunder's small ball line up.

how could one think he played poorly? look at his stats :lol

cd98
05-20-2014, 07:28 AM
how could one think he played poorly? look at his stats :lol

See the grades thread. I agree Duncan had a great game. Some on Spurstalk don't agree.

jag
05-20-2014, 08:15 AM
The reason Lebron's defense is considered "good" is because he's the darling of the NBA, and refs swallow the whistle when he's playing defense, where other players would be scared to pick up that 5th foul or foul out.

Lebron can legitimately defend positions 1-5.

Against the Spurs he could defend Parker, Manu, Kawhi, Splitter or Duncan and be the best defender on the floor. I'm not sure how that's "overrated." He has to bear most of the load on the offensive end, so it doesn't make sense for him to kill himself on defense for 48 minutes. But for a quarter or two, there isn't a better defensive player in the league.

TampaDude
05-20-2014, 10:24 AM

Against the Spurs he could defend Parker, Manu, Kawhi, Splitter or Duncan and be the best defender on the floor. I'm not sure how that's "overrated." He has to bear most of the load on the offensive end, so it doesn't make sense for him to kill himself on defense for 48 minutes. But for a quarter or two, there isn't a better defensive player in the league.

testies
05-20-2014, 10:33 AM
He can defend, doesn't mean he can defend succesfully

ISO Joe was shitting on him in large streches, he obviously can't shut down David West or Hibbert

Yeah, he can defend, but not shut down players completely

TampaDude
05-20-2014, 10:35 AM

ISO Joe was shitting on him in large streches, he obviously can't shut down David West or Hibbert

Yeah, he can defend, but not shut down players completely

Only Hibbert can completely shut down Hibbert, as was demonstrated in the first round. :lol

Raven
05-20-2014, 10:35 AM

what 5 can he guard?

jag
05-20-2014, 10:39 AM
what 5 can he guard?

He defended Duncan well for a few possessions during the finals. He can also defend Splitter.

Do those count?

Seventyniner
05-20-2014, 10:41 AM
what 5 can he guard?

Durant.

But seriously he weighs around 260 and has a low center of gravity. He might not contest a lot of shots when defending the post but he doesn't get backed down easily.

jag
05-20-2014, 10:42 AM

When I say that he's capable of defending, I mean successfully.

Joe Johnson was hitting retarded fadeaway prayers. When the Nets needed a basket and Johnson had the ball, Lebron made him look stupid.

Lebron on Derrick Rose a few years ago during the postseason is good example of him completely shutting down a premier player not at his position.

Raven
05-20-2014, 10:50 AM

Joe Johnson was hitting retarded fadeaway prayers. When the Nets needed a basket and Johnson had the ball, Lebron made him look stupid.

Lebron on Derrick Rose a few years ago during the postseason is good example of him completely shutting down a premier player not at his position.

huge stretch, it was basically because he Rose can't hit it from outside. Lebron couldn't guard westchuck, paul or curry.

Nathan89
05-20-2014, 11:08 AM
He defended Duncan well for a few possessions during the finals. He can also defend Splitter.

Do those count?

It's a stretch to say that he can defend Duncan imo. And defending Splitter does not count.

jag
05-20-2014, 12:07 PM
It's not a stretch that he DID defend Duncan and Rose. You wanted examples. I gave you examples.

You're full blown retarded if you don't think he can defend Curry or Westbrook. Danny Green is athletic enough to defend those players, but Bron isn't? :lol Bron's fist step is still one the quickest and most powerful in the league.

jag
05-20-2014, 12:11 PM
As far as Curry goes, I don't even feel the need to comment further.

With Westbrook, he'd just shut down the driving lane and force that frog-looking freak to shoot contested jumpshots.

TVI
05-20-2014, 12:14 PM
I disagree that LeBron's defense is overrated. The guy is routinely asked to guard the other team's best player night in and night out. It's true that he picks his spots, and might not always give 100% on defense, and yes, he gets superstar treatment on both sides of the court, but to say he's not a good defender is just silly. And compared to Durant, he's a God on defense.

Mugen
05-20-2014, 12:18 PM
It's okay to hate LeBron while acknowledging his strengths tbh.

spurspokesman
05-20-2014, 12:47 PM

Raven
05-20-2014, 12:57 PM
It's not a stretch that he DID defend Duncan and Rose. You wanted examples. I gave you examples.

You're full blown retarded if you don't think he can defend Curry or Westbrook. Danny Green is athletic enough to defend those players, but Bron isn't? :lol Bron's fist step is still one the quickest and most powerful in the league.

belinelli defended against westbrook on a possession yesterday, does that make him capable of defending westbrook?

Raven
05-20-2014, 12:59 PM
I disagree that LeBron's defense is overrated. The guy is routinely asked to guard the other team's best player night in and night out. It's true that he picks his spots, and might not always give 100% on defense, and yes, he gets superstar treatment on both sides of the court, but to say he's not a good defender is just silly. And compared to Durant, he's a God on defense.

none said what you just pointed out.

Clipper Nation
05-20-2014, 01:01 PM

It's well-known that Miami coasts in the regular season and Kang is no exception.... when he isn't coasting, he's a legitimately scary defensive player.... when he's at the top of his game defensively, he is disciplined and avoids foul trouble....

Clipper Nation
05-20-2014, 01:02 PM
huge stretch, it was basically because he Rose can't hit it from outside. Lebron couldn't guard westchuck, paul or curry.
:lol Kang would absolutely shut down Choke Paul.... Choke cowers and disappears against bigger defenders....

DPG21920
05-20-2014, 01:09 PM
:lmao People trying to say Lebron isn't as good at defense as people claim.

They guy legitimately anchored one of the top defenses in the league and routinely guarded the other teams best player in critical situations. That doesn't even take into consideration that he does so while bearing the most offensive burden in the league.

Raven
05-20-2014, 01:19 PM
:lol Kang would absolutely shut down Choke Paul.... Choke cowers and disappears against bigger defenders....

Doubt it tbh, would get him in foul trouble... and ive been saying paul is a choking loser way before it was cool tbh :lol

Raven
05-20-2014, 01:22 PM
:lmao People trying to say Lebron isn't as good at defense as people claim.

They guy legitimately anchored one of the top defenses in the league and routinely guarded the other teams best player in critical situations. That doesn't even take into consideration that he does so while bearing the most offensive burden in the league.

None can effectively guard any player from 1 to 5, saying lebron cant do that makes him no worse.

Raven
05-20-2014, 01:25 PM

I see, so nick young is a great defender... sure he could defend him on isos but no way he could guard curry off the screen...

Mugen
05-20-2014, 01:28 PM
:lmao

05-20-2014, 01:43 PM

:lmao if Lance freaking Stephenson can have success posting LeBum up then Splitter and Timmy would have a field day. Kawhi also had success last year posting up Lebron iirc.

05-20-2014, 01:50 PM
LeBron is severely overrated defensively. Let's see, what premier players has he shut down these last few playoffs? D. Rose and Tony Parker. Both around 6'1. There's literally barely any talent in the East since the Big 3 era began and the fact that all three of them played in Eas-...I digress.

So tell me, if LeBum is such a great defender what happened in 2007, 2011, and 2012? He didn't shut down Tony, Dirk, or KD, and was 28 seconds away from his last memory of the finals being ripped by TP in the waning moments of game 6.

r0drig0lac
05-20-2014, 01:57 PM

this, people just try to find flaws in the game Lebron. If it has deficiencies is certainly not defending this guy was in the handchecking would be scary defensively

jag
05-20-2014, 01:59 PM
belinelli defended against westbrook on a possession yesterday, does that make him capable of defending westbrook?

Does belinelli have the physical attributes conducive to (consistent) successful defense vs Westbrook?

LeBron has the physical ability to successfully defend 1-5. I think he could defend Duncan well for stretches. He already has. I think Duncan would figure him out and get some buckets/get him in foul trouble, but you're also talking about the best power forward to ever play basketball.

I'm not one of these guys on Spurstalk who blows Lebron up and down every thread. I used to hate the guy, but that's slowly faded and I think he's an alright dude and an incredible basketball player. Probably the best to ever play. His defense, when it needs to be, is special.

It's not like Kobe's mythical lockdown defense. You can maybe count a handful of times Kobe ever locked down a premier player. LeBron has had to do it during every playoff run.

jag
05-20-2014, 02:09 PM
LeBron is severely overrated defensively. Let's see, what premier players has he shut down these last few playoffs? D. Rose and Tony Parker. Both around 6'1. There's literally barely any talent in the East since the Big 3 era began and the fact that all three of them played in Eas-...I digress.

So tell me, if LeBum is such a great defender what happened in 2007, 2011, and 2012? He didn't shut down Tony, Dirk, or KD, and was 28 seconds away from his last memory of the finals being ripped by TP in the waning moments of game 6.

Durant, Carmelo, Rondo and Pierce come to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPBeQybtvbA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpNze8l-eT0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV3O94yv4vc

Raven
05-20-2014, 02:10 PM
Does belinelli have the physical attributes conducive to (consistent) successful defense vs Westbrook?

LeBron has the physical ability to successfully defend 1-5. I think he could defend Duncan well for stretches. He already has. I think Duncan would figure him out and get some buckets/get him in foul trouble, but you're also talking about the best power forward to ever play basketball.

I'm not one of these guys on Spurstalk who blows Lebron up and down every thread. I used to hate the guy, but that's slowly faded and I think he's an alright dude and an incredible basketball player. Probably the best to ever play. His defense, when it needs to be, is special.

It's not like Kobe's mythical lockdown defense. You can maybe count a handful of times Kobe ever locked down a premier player. LeBron has had to do it during every playoff run.
I've never been a lebron hater and i wouldnt have had any problem with him winning dpoy last year, but i dont agree that he can defend fives... simply that.

Dex
05-20-2014, 02:20 PM
Last night was one of the first times I can recall seeing KD be visibly winded. He was obviously running on fumes by the 4th, and his shooting performance showed it. If OKC's game plan is to run KD for 45 minutes, try to be offensive option 1A (with the only other real option being 1B), AND try to defend the paint all night and contain Leonard and Duncan in the post....well then by all means, keep rolling like that, Scotty Brooks.

jag
05-20-2014, 02:23 PM
I've never been a lebron hater and i wouldnt have had any problem with him winning dpoy last year, but i dont agree that he can defend fives... simply that.

No. You're argument was that he couldn't defend 5's or 1's.

what 5 can he guard?

He proved he could defend 1's. And he's successfully defended 5's. He's shutdown rose and he played good defense on Westbrook for stretches during the Finals. You honestly think he couldn't defend Paul or Curry? You're going to pick random players he hasn't had to defend, to prove he cant defend them. You keep moving the goalposts.

I don't think he could defend Hibbert for an entire game. But I think he could do just as well or better than Bosh or Birdman. Does that mean he cant defend 5's? Duncan couldn't defend Amare. Does that mean he couldn't/cant defend 4's?

So I guess your argument is that he can't defend on the dominant 5's in the league, like Splitter, Bogut and Robin Lopez. Right

jag
05-20-2014, 02:27 PM
I see, so nick young is a great defender... sure he could defend him on isos but no way he could guard curry off the screen...

oh, screens...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4cMLcZX9a0

hater
05-20-2014, 02:36 PM

Truth nuclear submarine.Lebronzes D is the most overrated thing since the Kardasians

Malik Hairston
05-20-2014, 02:54 PM
Lebron is essentially the only perimeter superstar player in history that runs the entire offense AND has to defend the opposing team's best player for key stretches in the game, tbh:lol..

The standard he is held to is unreal..he has never had a Pippen(the greatest of all-time at perimeter defense) or Artest(top 3 of his generation), not even an Ariza:lol..his defensive help has been a senior Shane Battier that hasn't successfully defended anybody since 2010..

Magic, Bird, Kobe, etc were never asked to do that, tbh..not even Dad Killer, since he had Scottie to do the heavy lifting on defense..

vma16
05-20-2014, 03:10 PM
This seemed like such a good topic, until someone decides to turned it into a Lebron defense thread..

ElNono
05-20-2014, 03:11 PM
Why are people comparing KD with Lebron, tbh? :lol

KD is a nice offensive player, that greatly benefits from his anorexia... Lebron is a genetic beast...

Malik Hairston
05-20-2014, 03:19 PM
Durant is actually a pretty good defensive player, tbh, he's far from a liability..

It's just difficult for high-usage players, especially in OKC without a system, to exert constant energy on defense when they're carrying the offensive load..it's why big men are so underrated on all-time lists, they had so much more responsibly than their perimeter counterparts(particularly Duncan and Olajuwon)..

ceperez
05-20-2014, 03:54 PM
Last night was one of the first times I can recall seeing KD be visibly winded. He was obviously running on fumes by the 4th, and his shooting performance showed it. If OKC's game plan is to run KD for 45 minutes, try to be offensive option 1A (with the only other real option being 1B), AND try to defend the paint all night and contain Leonard and Duncan in the post....well then by all means, keep rolling like that, Scotty Brooks.

The key to winning this series is to make sure that both KD and Westbrook are winded by the time they hit the 4th quarter. That means have both players work really hard on defense.

EVAY
05-20-2014, 05:34 PM
The key to winning this series is to make sure that both KD and Westbrook are winded by the time they hit the 4th quarter. That means have both players work really hard on defense.

This.

This is why Pop is having Leonard be so active on offense and they are trying to get Westbrook to have play defense on SOMEBODY…whether that is Green or Parker or Bellinelli or whomever.

This was, I believe, the point of the op before it got hijacked. And this is what we have to keep doing. Particularly to those two players.

05-20-2014, 07:55 PM
Lebron is essentially the only perimeter superstar player in history that runs the entire offense AND has to defend the opposing team's best player for key stretches in the game, tbh:lol..

The standard he is held to is unreal..he has never had a Pippen(the greatest of all-time at perimeter defense) or Artest(top 3 of his generation), not even an Ariza:lol..his defensive help has been a senior Shane Battier that hasn't successfully defended anybody since 2010..

Magic, Bird, Kobe, etc were never asked to do that, tbh..not even Dad Killer, since he had Scottie to do the heavy lifting on defense..
Shane has done an excellent job these last couple championship runs tbh he's far from a liability out there.

I don't understand why you're bringing up his offensive responsibility or comparing him to other stars. We're just talking about his abilities on the defensive end being overrated. He's a great defender, but not as great as people make him seem, and he def can't guard 4s and 5s unless they're a soft jumpshooter or something. He can't defend someone like Tim, Al Jef, Zbo/Gasol, etc any big that can post up p much.

05-20-2014, 08:03 PM
If LeBron is such a great defender, why is Paul George guarding him, but Lebron isnt guarding Paul George? Same thing when the Heat play the Thunder

UZER
05-20-2014, 08:05 PM
This is the first year that I've seen pop go to the mismatch over and over to exploit it forcing the other coach to make a change.

In other years he would try it once or twice, then the other team get away with a defensive mismatch.

It's like he's finally said fuck this gentleman bull shit and fuck the Ibaka injury.

Fpoonsie
05-20-2014, 08:09 PM

ROFL. Love the dry delivery of this line. Had me crackin' up.