PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Anxiety Thread

Blue Duck
05-20-2014, 10:31 PM
Hey guys, I don't post much, but I read all of y'all's stuff daily since 2004. Just wanted a little feed back since I respect so many of you as knowledgeable and committed fans. Last year's playoffs were tough, and that's an understatement, I'm sure we can all agree. But I'm not just talking about the way it all ended. I mean, from game to game in last year's finals, I found myself anxious, distracted at work, impatient, etc. I'm pretty well grounded, I mean....I have a great life and I know the sun will still rise if the spurs lose and all that. But I can't help it. This year, the closer they get, the more the anxiety builds, it's back and worse than before. I've tried adopting the Buddhist philosophy of avoiding heartbreak by shunning earthly desires, but honestly, I want it bad! This fifth ring would mean so much, it would solidify this dynasty and erase all uncertainty about this team's place in history, while making the looming rebuilding process so much easier. I just want to breath that final sigh of relief already, I want to see Lebron crying, ala Kobe&Fisher circa 2003, while he sits helplessly on the bench after being unceremoniously benched cuz a spurs victory is a foregone conclusion. Anyone else feeling anxious?????? Here's the place, share your thoughts, fantasie (about the finals), coping mechanisms/strategies...... do you imagine what the sports illustrated cover would look like? Can you picture watching the 2014 championship DVD, with all the heartbreak leading up to the momentous, inspiring victory?? Do you imagine the Kobe vs Timmy debate finally being put to bed, forever???...whatever, just share like it's a spursaholics anonymous meeting. Hi, I'm Jeff, ima lifelong spurs addict. Go spurs, dammit, let's get this thing over with already!!

hater
05-21-2014, 02:05 AM
Heat in 6

05-21-2014, 02:14 AM
I think the Spurs are on a mission and are determined to right that terrible wrong from last season.

However, if they get their re-match with the Heat and LeBron and Wade get hot simultaneously, like they did in game 7, nobody in the league can beat them.

I believe the Spurs can beat OKC and Miami but if they lose, all I ask is that they don't lose exactly like they did last year.

Fireball
05-21-2014, 02:21 AM
I was surprised how much at peace I was with myself during game 1 against OKC. I guess the Ibaka injury really makes me believe that we will go by OKC one way or the other and I am able to remain calm. But I guess this will change the first time we are down by 10+ points and I have to bear some of Westbrooks "celebrations" ... I want the Spurs in the Finals again - time is running out, we see that Timmy had a resurgence last year, but now he has to slow down on defense even more and can only be dominant for very short stretches. The team can survive that, but the time for #5 is now ...

Prose
05-21-2014, 02:23 AM
I think the Spurs are on a mission and are determined to right that terrible wrong from last season.

However, if they get their re-match with the Heat and LeBron and Wade get hot simultaneously, like they did in game 7, nobody in the league can beat them.

I believe the Spurs can beat OKC and Miami but if they lose, all I ask is that they don't lose exactly like they did last year.

When the spurs win I'm so happy when the spurs lose it hurts. Last years finals felt like a nightmare and getting dumped all in one. Still think about it.

Man In Black
05-21-2014, 02:45 AM
There won't be a Spurs championship DVD...

It'll only be on BLU-RAY!!! HIGH DEFINITION. Show me Tony's facial scars, Manu's Bald Spot, and Tim's Jester Tattoo.

dg7md
05-21-2014, 04:03 AM
I'm not worried one bit, not now at least. I firmly believe we'll beat OKC quite well in 5 or 6.

And, we're much better off to face the Heat now than we were last year, mostly because we depended on Danny Green too much in the Finals this year, while this year we have a lot more options in terms of offense.

I will be worried if/when we are down 2 games in a playoff series.

superbigtime
05-21-2014, 09:15 AM
It's way too early to be overconfident vs OKC. All Spurs have to do is turn it over and start missing shots, shit goes downhill fast. Each big 3 player has more weaknesses right now ... timmy's age, tony's health, manu's helter skelter spazz tendencies. Last year's finals jaded me, but I still love this team and these players. If they lose, I feel like I lose. If they win, I win. No team deserves a championship more than the Spurs. They're the best complete team in the league, but they are also very fragile. Spurs have had so many unlucky breaks over the years, I really hope there are only good things for the Spurs for the rest of this post season.

And yes, these games cause much much anxiety and tension.

Spur|n|Austin
05-21-2014, 09:36 AM
There won't be a Spurs championship DVD...

It'll only be on BLU-RAY!!! HIGH DEFINITION. Show me Tony's facial scars, Manu's Bald Spot, and Tim's Jester Tattoo.

:toast

Budkin
05-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Hey guys, I don't post much, but I read all of y'all's stuff daily since 2004. Just wanted a little feed back since I respect so many of you as knowledgeable and committed fans. Last year's playoffs were tough, and that's an understatement, I'm sure we can all agree. But I'm not just talking about the way it all ended. I mean, from game to game in last year's finals, I found myself anxious, distracted at work, impatient, etc. I'm pretty well grounded, I mean....I have a great life and I know the sun will still rise if the spurs lose and all that. But I can't help it. This year, the closer they get, the more the anxiety builds, it's back and worse than before. I've tried adopting the Buddhist philosophy of avoiding heartbreak by shunning earthly desires, but honestly, I want it bad! This fifth ring would mean so much, it would solidify this dynasty and erase all uncertainty about this team's place in history, while making the looming rebuilding process so much easier. I just want to breath that final sigh of relief already, I want to see Lebron crying, ala Kobe&Fisher circa 2003, while he sits helplessly on the bench after being unceremoniously benched cuz a spurs victory is a foregone conclusion. Anyone else feeling anxious?????? Here's the place, share your thoughts, fantasie (about the finals), coping mechanisms/strategies...... do you imagine what the sports illustrated cover would look like? Can you picture watching the 2014 championship DVD, with all the heartbreak leading up to the momentous, inspiring victory?? Do you imagine the Kobe vs Timmy debate finally being put to bed, forever???...whatever, just share like it's a spursaholics anonymous meeting. Hi, I'm Jeff, ima lifelong spurs addict. Go spurs, dammit, let's get this thing over with already!!

Thanks for posting. I can attest that I go through many of the same things you do, so much now that my wife and I have gotten in fights about me being addicted to the Spurs so badly that she thinks I need an intervention :lol. I think we all want this last one really badly, especially after the gut wound we took last year. Everyone on the team seems laser focused. Just try and remember that it's up to them. There isn't shit we can do about it but react. And the most important thing is that if you look at things objectively, it's just a bunch of rich dudes running around trying to throw a ball in a hole, none of whom give two shits about any of us. Go Spurs Go!

boutons_deux
05-21-2014, 09:45 AM

there's also the memory of the 2012 WCF backdoor sweep. Spurs up 2-0, lose the series to OKC.

J.T.
05-21-2014, 09:48 AM
Game 6 was hard to deal with but anyone that watched game 7 is the ultimate sucker. The odds so overwhelmingly supported the Heat winning that game. The road team will only win one out of 5 (20%) of game 7's. That means the Heat had an 80% chance to win before the game even tipped off. Ultimately the wonder of sports wears off as you get older. In the end it's just a bunch of millionaires playing a ball game. We make it out to be far more important than it is. What are Kobe's 5 rings to Duncan's 4 going to do for the Laker fan who says that outside of SpursTalk? Nothing. You can sit around and feel sorry for the Spurs, and yourself, when they lose the Finals but it's just a game. It doesn't need to negatively impact your life like that. Skip a game, try not to get so caught up in it. If the NBA playoffs are causing you anxiety, chances are you're doing it to yourself by simply thinking about it too much.

tmtcsc
05-21-2014, 09:49 AM
No worries here. The Spurs are the best team in the league. Don't worry about them needing to solidify anything either. They are one of the most respected and appreciated teams in league history. More than anything - Don't be afraid, detach yourself from the equation as you have no bearing on the outcome. Just enjoy the ride.

Even when the Spurs were down in the 3rd quarter, I felt it was just a matter of time before they got the lead back. This team is prepared to beat the Thunder with or without Ibaka. I wish the guy was playing tbh. He deserves to taste some of what is coming.

spurspokesman
05-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Game 6 was hard to deal with but anyone that watched game 7 is the ultimate sucker. The odds so overwhelmingly supported the Heat winning that game. The road team will only win one out of 5 (20%) of game 7's. That means the Heat had an 80% chance to win before the game even tipped off. Ultimately the wonder of sports wears off as you get older. In the end it's just a bunch of millionaires playing a ball game. We make it out to be far more important than it is. What are Kobe's 5 rings to Duncan's 4 going to do for the Laker fan who says that outside of SpursTalk? Nothing. You can sit around and feel sorry for the Spurs, and yourself, when they lose the Finals but it's just a game. It doesn't need to negatively impact your life like that. Skip a game, try not to get so caught up in it. If the NBA playoffs are causing you anxiety, chances are you're doing it to yourself by simply thinking about it too much.
Pretty much

BillMc
05-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Like the OP, I have a hard time concentrating at work, etc. In fact these deep playoff runs have been very bad for my productivity. But as a fan I'll gladly take it. I want them to get number 5, badly. It's there for the taking. (Though Wade looking healthier is a scary thing). Not overconfident on OKC, but the faster we finish them the better, don't give them time to find a winning formula without Ibaka. That said, I thin we were taking this series even if he played.

05-21-2014, 10:01 AM

Kool Bob Love
05-21-2014, 10:01 AM
http://youtu.be/PD6AfcoG4o8

Budkin
05-21-2014, 10:05 AM

:tu

Old School 44
05-21-2014, 10:06 AM
Although I'm confident the Spurs will when it all this year, I still have the appropriate fear for all opponents. 2012 and 2013 will do that to you. I'd like to think the Spurs players and coaches feel the same way after each win on this long journey. Stay focused, keep playing until 16 games are won.

Yes, I am addicted to the Spurs. My wife said something funny to me the other day to let me know how much. She was watching her favorite show Dancing with the Stars when I asked her some question about how her day went at work. After ignoring my repeated queries, during a commercial, she finally said, "Can't you just wait, I'm watching MY Spurs!".

EVAY
05-21-2014, 10:20 AM
I got over having my life ruined by a sports team a long time ago.

Yes, I get nervous before the games, and I am extremely anxious about this game and the next.

But I know myself well enough to know that within five minutes of the game being over I put it back in its 'sports' box mentally and emotionally, and realize that there is so much more in my past, current and future life that is of greater importance than any of this, that I become entirely peaceful about it.

Part of the reason for the 'peaceful, easy feeling' is that I am so pleased and lucky to be a fan of this team for so long, and to have watched them give their all…because the truth is that they will all leave it all on the floor…win or lose. And that is really all that any of us can ask.

No matter how much any of us think it is gonna hurt us, it will be nothing compared to how the team members react if they lose.

And if they win, the team members will be satisfied and happy in ways that none of us can even imagine.

I hope, for their sakes, that they win it all. For my sake, they have already done so.

superbigtime
05-21-2014, 10:23 AM
That was eloquent. nice. :tu

The_Coyote
05-21-2014, 06:04 PM
You can do this whole "putting it in perspective" song-and-dance, or you can abuse downers with reckless abandon. Either way, we're all gonna die someday.

EVAY
05-21-2014, 06:06 PM
You can do this whole "putting it in perspective" song-and-dance, or you can abuse downers with reckless abandon. Either way, we're all gonna die someday.

Nobody ever claimed they were gonna get out of this alive.

phyzik
05-21-2014, 06:12 PM

While I don't believe in the mumbo jumbo of religion, every time someone talks about everyone dies someday, I always think about this t-shirt I saw when I was younger that I thought was pretty funny.

It said: Heaven doesn't want me and Hell is afraid I'd take over

:lol

BillMc
05-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Can't sleep all night here in Europe, waiting for the game. Man tomorrow's going to be Hell without sleep...

DPG21920
05-21-2014, 07:08 PM
This is how you deal with it, OP, IMVHO

http://www.papermag.com/uploaded_images/matthew-chest-pump.gif

DarrinS
05-21-2014, 07:39 PM
I don't suffer from this so-called anxiety

milkyway21
05-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Whoa George might not be ALLOWED per NBA policy to play vs the Heat in game 3.. Bad.
This is the 2nd time a major injury happened to a player during the playoffs courtesy by Dwayne Wade.

We cannot allow that to happen to the Spurs esp Manu this year.

Stay healthy Spurs.

davidbowie
05-21-2014, 09:51 PM
I feel you OP. I've been telling myself just one more since 2007. I say I won't care as much after the fifth. Especially these past few years when we have real shots. I dunno. I get so invested but after last year nothing will be as bad so I'm kinda just going with the flow. But then again if we lose in the finals two straight years......

EVAY
05-21-2014, 10:18 PM
Well, fellas, I don't know about you guys, but I'm feeling considerably better about tonight's game results.

007nites
05-28-2014, 12:41 AM
Bump

007nites
06-08-2014, 10:43 PM
bump