PDA

View Full Version : My take on Tony Parker

Walton Buys Off Me
08-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Shortly after the Finals, there was a Battle Blog started here entitled 'Is Tony Parker overrated'? While I'm a huge fan of the Battle Blogs for the most part, being one of founding fathers of fullsportpress, it's somewhat beneath me to engage is such juvenile online banter- as many of you know, that's not my style. Allow me to take this opportunity to lay out the facts as only Walton can- from a clearly objective and professional stance on this twenty- three year old point guard whose six year, sixty-six million dollar contract kicks in just as the Spurs embark on defending their NBA championship.

Fist off, one cannot ascertain the word 'overrated' when dealing with professional athletes without looking at the market value for the position they play. For example, many basketabll minds label Yao Ming as 'overrated' but his 5.6 million dollar salary in today's market isn't a bad deal at all considering what other starting centers who put up much worse numbers playing for much weaker teams are making (i.e. Adonal Foyle and the 4 years, 34 million left on his deal). In looking at Parker's worth and value juxtaposed to his contract, take into account that 1. he's only twenty three years old, 2. he should conceivably get better as those six years progress and 3. having a stable point nowadays is a luxury in this league. Take a look around the league and the salaries being collected by some notable 'star' point guards; Stephon Marbury (never won a title I might add) 4 years, 76 million, Baron Davis (never played a full season, let alone won a title) 4 years, 62 million, hell freaking Jason Williams of the Heat (by the way Heat fans, I'll be addressing you in my next post) who can't spell win, let alone get the job done is on the books for 25 million over the next three years. The list goes on and on of guys that have yet to prove anything when it counts and are being paid exorbidant amounts of cash to do so- now that's how I define overrated.

Not everything however is Rosie O'Donnell here. For starters, I have a huge problem with Parker's tendancy to perform a disappearing act in big moments. Some might argue that his role is to become a distributor while Manu and Tim take on the scoring duties down the stretch of close games- this is complete BS. Tony Parker too often looks like a Asian cock in Pamela Anderson's cleavage when the going gets tough and this is something that opposing coaches are catching on to. During the fourth quarter of game seven against the Pistons, Parker attampted one shot- an airball. Notwithstanding a jumpshot that is less consistent that John Kerry, the guy pretty much was the same player in the championship clinching game this year that he was in 2003, when Speedy Claxton bailed him out. This is a huge concern. Tony Parker should be working on his game with his newly appointed personal shooting coach this summer, rather than taking his 66 million dollar deal to France. He's entering his fifth season as the team's starting point guard and needs to start showing more than baby steps if he expects to continue wearing the silver-and-black.

Gregg Popovich was noticeably les harsh with Parker this year compared to seasons past but everyone can rest assured that if Pop continues to see the same mistakes and the same lack of killer instinct from his starting point guard, then that new contract will soon be someone else's concern- maybe the French team's........

Most Valuable Poster out........

Kori Ellis
08-11-2005, 05:18 PM
I would prefer that none of the Spurs play internationally in the summer. But that's not going to happen until there's a rule instituted by the Spurs that they can't (and that will never happen).

As far as Tony is concerned, I think that too much is drummed up in the media about how he's spending his offseason (fighting for the French Olympic Bid, partying with Eva, playing with the French team). If you follow around any NBA player, you'll probably find they are busy in the summer doing stuff you might not like.

I believe that Tony will develop a consistent jumpshot over the course of this season. And for all that people make of him "disappearing" at times -- the jumpshot is the key to that not happening. When Tony disappears it's because opponents' defenses adjust and don't give him the lane, forcing him into being a perimeter shooter. They wouldn't be able to do that if he had a better outside shot.

I have heard that he's already spent some time with Engelland this summer. How much, who knows. But I know that Tony wants to better his game and knows what it's going to take to do that. If he falls apart this season, then maybe I'm wrong. But I don't think that will happen.

Solid D
08-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Shortly after the Finals, there was a Battle Blog started here entitled 'Is Tony Parker overrated'? While I'm a huge fan of the Battle Blogs for the most part, being one of founding fathers of fullsportpress, it's somewhat beneath me to engage is such juvenile online banter- as many of you know, that's not my style. Allow me to take this opportunity to lay out the facts as only Walton can- from a clearly objective and professional stance on this twenty- three year old point guard whose six year, sixty-six million dollar contract kicks in just as the Spurs embark on defending their NBA championship.

Fist off, one cannot ascertain the word 'overrated' when dealing with professional athletes without looking at the market value for the position they play. For example, many basketabll minds label Yao Ming as 'overrated' but his 5.6 million dollar salary in today's market isn't a bad deal at all considering what other starting centers who put up much worse numbers playing for much weaker teams are making (i.e. Adonal Foyle and the 4 years, 34 million left on his deal). In looking at Parker's worth and value juxtaposed to his contract, take into account that 1. he's only twenty three years old, 2. he should conceivably get better as those six years progress and 3. having a stable point nowadays is a luxury in this league. Take a look around the league and the salaries being collected by some notable 'star' point guards; Stephon Marbury (never won a title I might add) 4 years, 76 million, Baron Davis (never played a full season, let alone won a title) 4 years, 62 million, hell freaking Jason Williams of the Heat (by the way Heat fans, I'll be addressing you in my next post) who can't spell win, let alone get the job done is on the books for 25 million over the next three years. The list goes on and on of guys that have yet to prove anything when it counts and are being paid exorbidant amounts of cash to do so- now that's how I define overrated.

Not everything however is Rosie O'Donnell here. For starters, I have a huge problem with Parker's tendancy to perform a disappearing act in big moments. Some might argue that his role is to become a distributor while Manu and Tim take on the scoring duties down the stretch of close games- this is complete BS. Tony Parker too often looks like a Asian cock in Pamela Anderson's cleavage when the going gets tough and this is something that opposing coaches are catching on to. During the fourth quarter of game seven against the Pistons, Parker attampted one shot- an airball. Notwithstanding a jumpshot that is less consistent that John Kerry, the guy pretty much was the same player in the championship clinching game this year that he was in 2003, when Speedy Claxton bailed him out. This is a huge concern. Tony Parker should be working on his game with his newly appointed personal shooting coach this summer, rather than taking his 66 million dollar deal to France. He's entering his fifth season as the team's starting point guard and needs to start showing more than baby steps if he expects to continue wearing the silver-and-black.

Gregg Popovich was noticeably les harsh with Parker this year compared to seasons past but everyone can rest assured that if Pop continues to see the same mistakes and the same lack of killer instinct from his starting point guard, then that new contract will soon be someone else's concern- maybe the French team's........

Most Valuable Poster out........

The disappearing act once again appears.

timvp
08-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Parker is ahead of the curve at this point in his career. What point guards at 23 have had the same success that Parker has had? The list is shorter than Walton's temper after a midseason loss to the Hawks.

It's true that his points dry up in the big moments of big games (usually), but that's mostly because his jumper is more on and off than a Hollywood marriage. The lanes close and Parker is forced to either knock down shots from the perimeter or create for others. At this point in his career, he makes the right choice to create. Manu and Tim were owning the Pistons in the fourth and Parker did the right thing in giving them the ball almost every time up the court.

But imagine what will happen if he became a good shooter. The Spurs just wouldn't be a dynasty, they'd make other teams die nasty.

:smokin

P.S.

Parker's defense in Game 7 was a huge key to the win. He didn't have a single point scored on him for the first 47 minutes and 50 seconds of the game.

Bruno
08-11-2005, 05:45 PM
The key is the jumpshot and tony knows it.
On french TV he says he would work his jumpshot this summer and try to improve it like manu did it this year.(he says he was an example to follow)

boutons
08-11-2005, 05:51 PM
"Parker's defense in Game 7 was a huge key to the win."

And Tony bellied up on Richard in the last 5 secs of Game5, Richard could only get off a gawdawful Hail Mary shot, Tony was key in preserving Rob's heroics in the pivotal game.

Disappear, my ass. Fucking people are spoiled.

(btw, I have had WBOM IGNOREd for months, this thread only encourages me to keep it that way. I have un-IGNOREd MB, and he's been pretty good so far)

Spurologist
08-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Tp is bound to be an all star this year IMO. This prediction is strongly based on how Engelland affects his shooting game.

I am tired of hearing about disappearing acts. TD wasn't exactly stellar against the pistons. I think he had a horrible shooting game, but he had a great effect on the outcome. Tp also has these kinds of games. If tp isn't playing well, he has to try and do something else to help the team. He played defense in game 7 and consequently helped the spurs win.

Tp will probably be an all star but if he doesn't become one, all I want him to do is help the team win more CHAMPIONSHIPS. If the spurs keep winning championship and Tp's game stays the same, will everyone still nagging on Tp. Isn't the ultimate goal to win a championship.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-11-2005, 06:43 PM
And for all that people make of him "disappearing" at times -- the jumpshot is the key to that not happening. When Tony disappears it's because opponents' defenses adjust and don't give him the lane, forcing him into being a perimeter shooter.

Excellently put Mrs. Ellis, which is why I hate that he's over in France right now instead of at the Spurs training facility with Chip attached at the hip.

exstatic
08-11-2005, 06:43 PM
LOL @ solidD

spurster
08-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Small point: Yao's rookie contract is indeed reasonable, but his next contract will be at the maximum.

ShoogarBear
08-11-2005, 09:14 PM
If the Spurs do ever get rid of Parker, the upside will be that Walton and Brewski will never be seen here again.

T Park
08-11-2005, 09:20 PM
the upside will be that Walton and Brewski will never be seen here again.

Thats incorrect.

Theyll find someone else to latch onto and rip them.

More than likely Pop, thats who they like to rip up other than that....

Walton Buys Off Me
08-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Can't speak for Brewski, but I never rip on Pop. Duncan, yes, Pop never.

howbouthemspurs
08-11-2005, 11:07 PM
He is still very young!! Tony is only going to get better.
I wouldnt be suprised if he has a few 20 pt 10 assist seasons or better.

He has the potential!!!

wildbill2u
08-11-2005, 11:16 PM
I think that his actual age is irrelevant. He's been the starting point guard for three years since he was nineteen. While it is true that the Spurs have won a couple of championships with Tony at PG, that is also irrelevant to his progress of the lack of it. It's not a matter of physical growth or development, but skills and mental development.

He should be hitting his stride as a complete player after all this experience and pressure. If he'd come into the game at 21, he'd be 25 now and we'd expect him to be peaking and relatively secure in his game. If he can't get to the All-Star level this coming year, he probably never will. There are lots of PGs out there who made it to the status of 'good' players but never made themselves into great players.

SequSpur
08-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Tell us something we don't know. Parker being inconsistent is old news. Dude just got a great contract for inconsistencies.

What about Allstar Manu? That dude can't even play back to backs and he is still in his 20s.

Manu is also inconsistent.

T Park
08-12-2005, 01:01 AM
What about Allstar Manu? That dude can't even play back to backs and he is still in his 20s.

What about him shorty....

He practically won the championship for the Spurs, but that wasn't good enough?

TheTruth
08-12-2005, 01:06 AM
Thanks Walton for pointing out things Spurs fans have been bitching about for 3 years.

Johnny Tightlips
08-12-2005, 01:08 AM

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
08-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Tell us something we don't know. Parker being inconsistent is old news. Dude just got a great contract for inconsistencies.

Manu is also inconsistent.

:rolleyes
:lol

Poor Sequ...

SWC Bonfire
08-12-2005, 09:53 AM
As far as Tony is concerned, I think that too much is drummed up in the media about how he's spending his offseason (fighting for the French Olympic Bid, partying with Eva, playing with the French team). If you follow around any NBA player, you'll probably find they are busy in the summer doing stuff you might not like.

Why would anyone not like him supporting & playing for his home country and for spending time w/ his sig other?

Some people are just haters.

1Parker1
08-12-2005, 10:00 AM
Wasn't Walton the same guy that started a thread about Tim Duncan being Soft after one of the losses in the Finals?

HoopStar
08-14-2005, 12:24 AM
He is still very young!! Tony is only going to get better. I wouldnt be suprised if he has a few 20 pt 10 assist seasons or better. He has the potential!!!

I agree! Parker is young and he's has the potential to become the best point guard in the NBA. He's only 23 years old and has two NBA Championship rings. Who else you know has the same at his age? I believe he's playing for the French team, this summer, not only because he loves the game, but, because he's trying to enhance his skills to become a better player next season. Not to mention, I believe the French is paying him a lot of money. But you didn't hear it from me.

HoopStar
08-14-2005, 12:29 AM
He is still very young!! Tony is only going to get better. I wouldnt be suprised if he has a few 20 pt 10 assist seasons or better. He has the potential!!!

I agree! Parker is young and he's has the potential to become the best point guard in the NBA. He's only 23 years old and has two NBA Championships rings. Who else you know have the same? I believe he's playing for the French team, this summer, not only because he loves the game, but, because he's trying to enhance his skills to become a better player next season. Not to mention, I believe the French is paying him a lot of money. But you didn't hear it from me.

mookie2001
08-14-2005, 12:31 AM
THE French?

cecil collins
08-14-2005, 09:29 AM
parkers going to be BAD NEWS about the time that duncan and ginobili start thinking about hanging up their shoes

even though i disagree with his choice of women (he should be out patrolling SA's highschools for the hottest 18 yr old while he's still young enough to take advantage without getting bad publicity), tony parker is a real good player and should become great

Good call on the high school girls, got me laughing.

I don't know why anyone would give him a hard time about playing for France, as it is his home country. How much garbage was said of many NBA players who don't represent the US. He's a free man, until you put it in his contract. He doesn't need to be an all star. All I want is for him to remain confident, and be a threat that the other team must worry about. Solid defense is a plus.

cherylsteele
08-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Wasn't Walton the same guy that started a thread about Tim Duncan being Soft after one of the losses in the Finals?

Also...wasn't he one of those that gave up on the Spurs during the Seattle series?

mrpach
08-14-2005, 12:58 PM
I think that his actual age is irrelevant. He's been the starting point guard for three years since he was nineteen. While it is true that the Spurs have won a couple of championships with Tony at PG, that is also irrelevant to his progress of the lack of it. It's not a matter of physical growth or development, but skills and mental development.

He should be hitting his stride as a complete player after all this experience and pressure. If he'd come into the game at 21, he'd be 25 now and we'd expect him to be peaking and relatively secure in his game. If he can't get to the All-Star level this coming year, he probably never will. There are lots of PGs out there who made it to the status of 'good' players but never made themselves into great players.

look how old was nash when he got to his best game