PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Refs are powerless when you're at your best

Jacob1983
05-22-2014, 01:39 AM
It's true. That's why the Spurs are up 2-0 against OKC. They have been shooting lights out and dominating OKC in every way possible. My Mavs are one of the best examples of this. Dirk, Terry, and Kidd knew that they wouldn't get any love from the refs against the Lakers, Thunder, or Superfriends in 2011. They played the best basketball of their entire lives during that stretch and that is why they won the Larry O'Brien trophy. If you are at your best, refs are powerless.

Spurs' fans were worried about the refs and the refs have been powerless in the WCF so far.

IrisHockey
05-22-2014, 01:44 AM
:lol we got our share of calls in 2011, it was one of the best officiated series for us,.. I'll take Dirk getting FTs 90 feet from the basket :lol..

HI-FI
05-22-2014, 01:46 AM
great point Jacob. this is why we'll never forget 2011.

Franklin
05-22-2014, 03:59 AM
Agree, game 5 of the OKC vs. Monkeyball series was a glaring evidence. We're just too good even with the help from refs the Servant and company still failed to survive in San Antonio, not even getting close.

Kidd K
05-22-2014, 07:40 AM
I dunno guys, maybe I'm naïve but the game-fixing has seemed to severely lessen once Stern retired. Look at least year's Finals.. it was actually officiated fairly wel. Thunderefs have only gotten a handful of shitty calls so far this series, it hasn't been nearly full quarters of ref-assistance like they got in 2012, or series-long whistle swallowing like when Ibaka goaltended or Ibaka/Perkins used moving screens almost 100% of the time.

Bruce Wayne
05-22-2014, 07:45 AM
It was the year 2072, when Jacob finally quit using 2011 in every thread.

TDMVPDPOY
05-22-2014, 07:53 AM
there is no excuse for westbrick and kd individually to have a shitter series or posting series lows against spurs role players...

mavsfan1000
05-22-2014, 08:05 AM
there is no excuse for westbrick and kd individually to have a shitter series or posting series lows against spurs role players...
Ibaka is huge for their spacing as well as allowing them to run more with a few more stops. OKC is screwed

KL2
05-22-2014, 08:12 AM
I dunno guys, maybe I'm naïve but the game-fixing has seemed to severely lessen once Stern retired. Look at least year's Finals.. it was actually officiated fairly wel. Thunderefs have only gotten a handful of shitty calls so far this series, it hasn't been nearly full quarters of ref-assistance like they got in 2012, or series-long whistle swallowing like when Ibaka goaltended or Ibaka/Perkins used moving screens almost 100% of the time.

The refs have been pretty horrible, especially in game 1. Game 2 it's like they just gave up on OKC, halfway through they just said "fuck it" and the Spurs completely take over. Seems more like they're trying to make it somewhat competitive, the nba knows SA will blow them the hell out like they did yesterday. Both games as soon as SA stopped receiving the BS fouls the Spurs completely broke away.

mavsfan1000
05-22-2014, 08:19 AM
The refs have been pretty horrible, especially in game 1. Game 2 it's like they just gave up on OKC, halfway through they just said "fuck it" and the Spurs completely take over. Seems more like they're trying to make it somewhat competitive, the nba knows SA will blow them the hell out like they did yesterday. Both games as soon as SA stopped receiving the BS fouls the Spurs completely broke away.
There is no ref bias for OKC. OKC is just a tough team to ref on. You gotta take away Durant's spacing. Thus he is close to being fouled quite often. How much contact is too much?

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 12:41 PM
It was the year 2072, when Jacob finally quit using 2011 in every thread.
not even then. nobody can EVER take it away from him :cry

jimbo
05-22-2014, 01:27 PM
Didn't Dirk have an absurd amount of free throws in the Thunder series?

I remember ESPN circlejerking over the whole "He's made 9 million free throws in a row without missing" thing.

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Didn't Dirk have an absurd amount of free throws in the Thunder series?

I remember ESPN circlejerking over the whole "He's made 9 million free throws in a row without missing" thing.
in his epic game 1, he was 24-24 from the line, and i believe 12-14 from the field. it was still incredible to watch, i think van gundy even said Ibaka should name his first son Dirk :lol

ImDaNuts
05-22-2014, 01:44 PM
OKC will get Game 3 due to the refs.

KL2
05-22-2014, 03:37 PM
There is no ref bias for OKC. OKC is just a tough team to ref on. You gotta take away Durant's spacing. Thus he is close to being fouled quite often. How much contact is too much?

The game isn't called fairly, that's all I want. OKC's defense consists of holding, grabbing, and a bunch of other fouls, while on offense they get a ridiculous amount of touch fouls. All you have to do is watch the game, it's clear OKC is being carried by the refs every step of the way. It's only when the refs stop making the BS calls that SA manages to break away.

Westbrook and Durant FTA these playoffs:

The Spurs as a TEAM:

That's with Manu, Leonard, TD, Splitter, Parker, etc. all attacking the basket.

mavsfan1000
05-22-2014, 03:57 PM
The game isn't called fairly, that's all I want. OKC's defense consists of holding, grabbing, and a bunch of other fouls, while on offense they get a ridiculous amount of touch fouls. All you have to do is watch the game, it's clear OKC is being carried by the refs every step of the way. It's only when the refs stop making the BS calls that SA manages to break away.

Westbrook and Durant FTA these playoffs:

The Spurs as a TEAM:

That's with Manu, Leonard, TD, Splitter, Parker, etc. all attacking the basket.
Even though Durant is mostly a jump shooter, he is too big for most to bother his shot with height. Thus, you gotta be real close to him to defend him appropiately. But doing so makes you more prone to foul. And Westbrook gets a lot of fouls because he is so quick. Borderline out of control which makes it hard not to foul him around the rim. He doesn't avoid contact. The spurs played one less game and aren't quite as good at drawing fouls as the Thunder. Probably because they shoot a lot of 3's and avoid contact.

DMC
05-22-2014, 04:10 PM
There's also the little thing about Ibaka being out. Not a real issue, but it's there.

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 04:52 PM
Even though Durant is mostly a jump shooter, he is too big for most to bother his shot with height. Thus, you gotta be real close to him to defend him appropiately. But doing so makes you more prone to foul. And Westbrook gets a lot of fouls because he is so quick. Borderline out of control which makes it hard not to foul him around the rim. He doesn't avoid contact. The spurs played one less game and aren't quite as good at drawing fouls as the Thunder. Probably because they shoot a lot of 3's and avoid contact.
westbrook shouldn't be rewarded for being out of control

sexinthatsx
05-22-2014, 05:46 PM

Are you kidding me? I haven't seen that many bogus jumpshot foul calls ever. There were instant replays of Westbrook not even being touched on a jump shot and there were whistles blowing all over the place.

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 06:18 PM
I don't see why Duncan got a tech but Westbrook never did

Franklin
05-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Most clippers fans would disagree with you though.

Jacob1983
05-22-2014, 09:13 PM
6-12-11. Never forget.

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 09:46 PM
6-12-11. Never forget.
can anyone take that away from you?

Franklin
05-22-2014, 11:08 PM
No one can take that away from him just like the retailing job he holds.