PDA

View Full Version : Jay Howard

Willinsa
08-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Did anyone read in the express news today that he was fired from KTSA and was replaced by Paul Alexander? I will try to find the link.

Kori Ellis
08-11-2005, 05:27 PM
I didn't read it in the Express-News, but I think he's been gone from there for a little while. I didn't know he was fired though. Interesting.

Walton Buys Off Me
08-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Who's Jay Howard?

Trainwreck2100
08-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Who's Jay Howard?

He was the former voice of the Spurs before Shoening, I've always thought Howard was better.

Willinsa
08-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Here is the article.

Jeanne Jakle: 'Bang!' Howard is gone from KTSA
Web Posted: 08/11/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

That swinging door of San Antonio radio has struck — bang! — once again.

I felt "bang" was appropriate since the guy out the door is Jay Howard, whose signature cry was "bang!" during his old Spurs broadcasts.

It's the second time around for Howard. Just when you thought the veteran local sports voice had settled into a comfortable groove on KTSA after his ax from WOAI, he gets cut.

Howard had been doing sports on KTSA since the fall of 2002. His main gig was in the morning (although he'd do segments on the afternoon Chris Duel show as well). He was replaced last week by former KSAT sportscaster — and longtime car pitchman — Paul Alexander .

According to KTSA/KSRX general manager Reid Reker, Alexander will play more of a "multi-utility role" on KTSA. Apart from delivering sports, he'll act as fill-in talk show host.

It also helps that Alexander is so passionate about the Dallas Cowboys, as KTSA has been S.A.'s Cowboys station for the past two years.

"We'd been toying around with this since last season," Reker said. He said the hiring of Alexander coincides with the station's desire to be more involved in sports. Alexander will keep his position with Fiesta Dodge, Reker added.

Howard was fired from WOAI and its sports arm KTKR in 2001 after 18 years as a sports talk show host on the Clear Channel stations. At the same time, he was cut as the play-by-play man for the Spurs.

After so many radio blows, will he hang up his mike ... at least in San Antonio? Howard said he won't disappear; he'll be popping up somewhere on radio now and again. However, his main gig these days — the job that pays the bills — is as a financial planner with Planto Roe financial services. He said "it's quite rewarding."

He added that the thing he loved most about radio was that it allowed him to connect with people, and this allows him to connect with them in a different way.

AlamoSpursFan
08-11-2005, 05:59 PM
He said the hiring of Alexander coincides with the station's desire to be more involved in sports.

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more...

slayermin
08-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Man, I miss Jay on the radio. He made listening to Spurs games fun and exciting.

Willinsa
08-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Man, I miss Jay on the radio. He made listening to Spurs games fun and exciting.

I don't miss him at all, he was a Mr. Know it all and I am glad he is gone.

exstatic
08-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Countdown to a TPark snit in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1....

pooh
08-11-2005, 08:39 PM
I had seen on KTSA's website that Alexander was going to be on in the mornings anyway, so it's not a shocker. I am shocked that they got rid of Jay Howard though. Makes you wonder if the Spurs organization stretched out their hand and swatted Jay off the air again? Who knows?

Alexander is very, VERY opinionated. It was his opinionated rants that got him fired from KTSA over a decade ago. It sure looks like KTSA is trying to see if they can give KTKR (Ticket 760 to others) a run for their money...good luck to them, sure hope it works!

T Park
08-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Makes you wonder if the Spurs organization stretched out their hand and swatted Jay off the air again? Who knows?

Seeing as Pop and the organization tried to get him rehired, I dont see how thats factually correct

I don't miss him at all, he was a Mr. Know it all and I am glad he is gone.

A Mr Know it all/???

Seems to me, he just got sick of callers constantly calling in with the same

"Why doesnt pop play Julius Nowosu MORE?:?? FIRE POP!!!"

Wasn't a know it all, he just had to deal with morons like on this website like Sequ and guys like you Willinsa who were constant bozos.

2centsworth
08-11-2005, 08:50 PM
A Mr Know it all/???

Wasn't a know it all, he just had to deal with morons like on this website like Sequ and guys like you Willinsa who were constant bozos.

Whatever, he lost one of the best gigs in the NBA to selling Life Insurance.

At least he's not a bozo like all of the callers.:rolleyes

T Park
08-11-2005, 08:59 PM
he lost one of the best gigs in the NBA to selling Life Insurance

Yeah thanks to the oh so great Gorilla.

Not to him. He asked for a raise, who doesnt? but in retrospect had he just asked for the same amount of money, he would still be there.

Now they have a guy there who has absolutely no clue about basketball.

At least he's not a bozo like all of the callers

Eh??? No comprende.....

Willinsa
08-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Seeing as Pop and the organization tried to get him rehired, I dont see how thats factually correct

A Mr Know it all/???

Well the only reason I said that was when he was by himself in the studio he would talk crap about all the Spurs, but when he was at the game he would kiss their ass before and after the game.

That's why I said that dumbass. :flipoff

T Park
08-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Well the only reason I said that was when he was by himself in the studio he would talk crap about all the Spurs, but when he was at the game he would kiss their ass before and after the game.

That's why I said that dumbass.

Funny, I used to talk to him quite a bit in the early mid 90s, and he never said a bad thing about them, in fact, he was great friends with Sean Elliott.

But, whatever, way to resort to namecallin.

2centsworth
08-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Yeah thanks to the oh so great Gorilla.

Not to him. He asked for a raise, who doesnt? but in retrospect had he just asked for the same amount of money, he would still be there.

Now they have a guy there who has absolutely no clue about basketball.

Eh??? No comprende.....Take a poll and i'm sure close to 80% of the people would say Jay was a pompous jerk on air. I don't know him personally so he could have been the nicest guy in the world for all I know.

Not debating the guy's talent because he was pretty good at play by play, but no one liked him. That counts for a lot in his line of work.

T Park
08-11-2005, 09:09 PM
Take a poll and i'm sure close to 80% of the people would say Jay was a pompous jerk on air

Once again, why, cause he didnt suck up and dumb down the show to answer the stupid and same old questions that the idiots call in with....

2centsworth
08-11-2005, 09:11 PM
Once again, why, cause he didnt suck up and dumb down the show to answer the stupid and same old questions that the idiots call in with....
That's the attitude that will get you in the life insurance industry real quick.

Willinsa
08-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Funny, I used to talk to him quite a bit in the early mid 90s, and he never said a bad thing about them, in fact, he was great friends with Sean Elliott.

But, whatever, way to resort to namecallin.

Well true he was friends with Sean, but I remember one time he talked about Avery and the turnovers he had. Then all of sudden the next day he was talking to him like nothing.

He may have been a nice guy but I think he came across as a jerk, and what I never understood was that he talked down on the callers. The people calling were the reason he had a call-in show and he would stay be an ahole to most of his callers.

T Park
08-11-2005, 09:27 PM
I never understood was that he talked down on the callers

Cause those guys are morons.

hilarious. He should just say to the person who brings up the

"Why doesnt Tony Massenburg get more minutes" call the same credence an intelligent caller does??

Okiedoke...

That's the attitude that will get you in the life insurance industry real quick.

ahh suck up to morons, what a great way to go through life.

But Bill Schoening hes fantastic....

T Park
08-11-2005, 09:28 PM
but I remember one time he talked about Avery and the turnovers he had. Then all of sudden the next day he was talking to him like nothing

Eh???

Would that be the same as Don harris doing the "Tony Parker sucks" Show, and then the next day begging to toss his salad?

give me a break, all sports guys do that....

2centsworth
08-11-2005, 09:31 PM
Cause those guys are morons.

hilarious. He should just say to the person who brings up the

"Why doesnt Tony Massenburg get more minutes" call the same credence an intelligent caller does??

Okiedoke...

ahh suck up to morons, what a great way to go through life.

But Bill Schoening hes fantastic....
Thinking everyone is a moron was the problem. Sometimes they are just callers. Nevertheless, he stuck to his screwed-up belief that everyone was a moron except him and lost his job. Seems like the guy who gets fired twice has more of a claim to being a moron.

Spursman
08-11-2005, 09:59 PM
I always liked Jay as a play-by-play announcer, but his talk show sucked bad.

I also never really like him on the morning show on KTSA. He always sounded as if he didn't really want to be there. I like Paul. He shows an eagerness and a true desire to be there. While bad for Jay I think it is good for Paul and KTSA.

my2sons
08-11-2005, 10:03 PM
well if you thought jay howard was a pompass ass, paul alexander will make him look humble...he used the choke word well after the fact and boasted about saying all along the at spurs were going to choke in the first place...i cannot stand paul and it doesn't matter cuz, ktsa could care less about sports. if they did jay would have gotten a show of his own...KTSA SUCKS

Willinsa
08-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Eh???

Would that be the same as Don harris doing the "Tony Parker sucks" Show, and then the next day begging to toss his salad?

give me a break, all sports guys do that....

True they do, but I know Jay was brutal like don hairless is now. But I think the way he would say things made him sound like an ass.