PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi, Green & Splitter: Flashback from '12

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
05-22-2014, 06:04 AM
For those who remembered the Backdoor sweep and weren't completely traumatized by last year's run, beside Harden and Ibaka going off, the main reason the Spurs lost was b/c these 3, yes all 3 completely disappeared after game 2 of the OKC series.

Since then, all three have elevated their play, have toughen their resolve, and have much more experiencing playing in the playoffs.

You can tell those 3 still remember their performances, and I don't see them repeated that same act this time around.

Another thing, Brooks needs to drop his small ball act. You did it two years ago. Your not going to fool Pop twice running the same crap.

T Park
05-22-2014, 09:25 AM
Problem is, they go big, they can't score at all. Perkins and Adams together there last night clogged the hell out of the paint for Westbrook and Durant.

He's pretty much played every card he can in these first two games.

They're at the point where Portland was. Score and pray they miss.

FromWayDowntown
05-22-2014, 09:36 AM
I'm not sure Kawhi really belongs in that group. He was terrific in Game 4 of that series in OKC (7-8 from the floor, 3-4 from three, with 9 boards), and while he didn't shoot it well in Games 5 & 6, he wasn't exactly a liability on the court for the Spurs.

Danny and Tiago seem to be strengthened and more confident after the playoff battles they've been through over the last couple of years. There were definitely some guys on that 2012 team who appeared to be not quite ready for a stage as big as even the WCF. Now, those guys have battled through 9 playoff series over the last 2+ years and have had to perform well to win some pretty high-stakes games in some pretty hostile environments. There are some special players who don't need experience to play well in those circumstances; there are others who need to go through it and learn that no matter the stakes and no matter the environment, it's still just basketball (you would think that anything pales in comparison to Game 7 of the Finals and all of these guys have been through that situation). I think Danny and Tiago (from my vantage point) fit that latter category. Their experience and poise are a big reason that it's silly to say that the 2014 Spurs = the 2012 Spurs.

OKC might still get this done, but they're going to have to be remarkably good to do it; I don't think they can count on the Spurs to get shook by the surroundings.

Jenks
05-22-2014, 09:39 AM
Splitter disappeared when that faggot Brooks started doing hack-a-Splitter early in the games. Good on Tiago for fixing it since.
Add Patty to the list of greatly improved players since 2012 (although 48 minutes of towel waving is missed)

Seventyniner
05-22-2014, 09:45 AM
I'm not sure Kawhi really belongs in that group. He was terrific in Game 4 of that series in OKC (7-8 from the floor, 3-4 from three, with 9 boards), and while he didn't shoot it well in Games 5 & 6, he wasn't exactly a liability on the court for the Spurs.

Danny and Tiago seem to be strengthened and more confident after the playoff battles they've been through over the last couple of years. There were definitely some guys on that 2012 team who appeared to be not quite ready for a stage as big as even the WCF. Now, those guys have battled through 9 playoff series over the last 2+ years and have had to perform well to win some pretty high-stakes games in some pretty hostile environments. There are some special players who don't need experience to play well in those circumstances; there are others who need to go through it and learn that no matter the stakes and no matter the environment, it's still just basketball (you would think that anything pales in comparison to Game 7 of the Finals and all of these guys have been through that situation). I think Danny and Tiago (from my vantage point) fit that latter category. Their experience and poise are a big reason that it's silly to say that the 2014 Spurs = the 2012 Spurs.

OKC might still get this done, but they're going to have to be remarkably good to do it; I don't think they can count on the Spurs to get shook by the surroundings.

Good take. :toast

Leonard may not quite be in the same group as Green and Splitter as you say, but he still has improved since 2012.

You can add Diaw to that list too. Not that he particularly got rattled in 2012, but his comfort level and big-game experience also makes the 2014 version of the Spurs better than 2012.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
05-22-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm not sure Kawhi really belongs in that group.

I agree with Kawhi play not being bad, but he lost focus when refs were calling him for those ticking tack fouls in the '12 series. Last night just showed how much he has mature since then. He came right back and played the same way. Spurs mentality as a whole is hardcore at this point.

FromWayDowntown
05-22-2014, 10:13 AM
I agree with Kawhi play not being bad, but he lost focus when refs were calling him for those ticking tack fouls in the '12 series.

He was called for 7 fouls total over the last 4 games of that series. He got called for 3 fouls in Game 6, but he wasn't really in foul trouble.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
05-22-2014, 10:43 AM
These are Leonard's Stats. Look at Durant's stats and they are ridiculous and Leonard had the primary responsibility of guarding him. The moment was too big for Kawhi at the time and his play (especially on d) showed. Kawhi was passive b/c every time he tried to be physical with Durant he was called for a foul and Durant basically had his way in that series. Confidence plus league recognition as one of the best if not the best perimeter defender goes a long way.

MIN
FGM-A
3PM-A
FTM-A
OREB
DREB
REB
AST
STL
BLK
TO
PF
+/-
PTS

3-9
1-3
0-0

7-12
3-6
1-1
+9

1-3
0-1
0-1

7-8
3-4
0-0

1-4
0-1
2-2

2-7
1-3
0-0

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 01:12 PM
i remember leonard's game 4... he made a couple of threes in the last 4 minutes of the game to give us a shot, but OKC kept scoring. i think durant dropped like 15 or 20 in that 4th

spurs1990
05-22-2014, 05:03 PM

Great insight particularly the point on experience. Funny how not a single talking head had mentioned that heretofore. Instead it's non-stop Ibaka excuses.

We need this sweep. Not that it'll mute the doubters but it'll give us fans the best evidence that our team is the best in this conference.

KaiRMD1
05-23-2014, 05:20 AM
I'll never forget how Splitter couldn't make a free throw or anything to save his life and Danny Green couldn't hit a wide open three for nothing. Kawhi was just a spot up shooter at the time because Jackson was the one assigned to Durant. Yeah, prety different team but no matter, Ibaka isn't playing and that's what matters