PDA

View Full Version : Only way to beat the Spurs is physical defense with length and athleticism

hitmantb
05-22-2014, 10:17 AM
Spurs still has the weakest ISO strength among elite teams.

The amazing passing game maximizes the strength of one-dimensional players like Green. But as smooth as it can be at its best (Spurs beat the Heat by 36 points in the finals last year as well), it is still very vulnerable to physical defense with length and athleticism. Bump and swipe, good defensive rotations, force the Spurs to go 1v1 on enough positions and you get a close game into the last 5 minutes where Spurs's lack of star power really shows.

Revenge on 2012/2013, championship into the sunset would be a story book ending for the GDP trio, but I still think it is too good to be true. This Spurs team feels like the Utah Jazz against Jordan's second three-peat to me. LeBron/Wade and good Miami defense will most likely prevail in the end, although I really pray for a Miracle.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
05-22-2014, 10:18 AM
Good comparison. Except we are not chokers like Malone...

The Heat have to play a lot better if they expect to win this series without HCA.

ChumpDumper
05-22-2014, 10:18 AM
Thanks for whatever.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
05-22-2014, 10:23 AM
Thanks for whatever.

Your just saying what Barkley said (OP). But what team remaining has that. NONE. Heat just have Lebron. Duncan owned RuPaul last year. Hibbert and West are physical but not athletic. OKC, well, we are seeing that Ibaka only fit that mold for OKC and one player is not going to make that much of a difference.

Spurs are the best TEAM in the NBA right now. Playing flawless basketball is how you beat the best team in the NBA.

ChumpDumper
05-22-2014, 10:31 AM
Oh, Miami can certainly beat the Spurs. They are a ridiculously talented team that can match up well with the Spurs and force less advantageous matchups on the Spurs. i don't think anyone needs to be reminded of this.

TampaDude
05-22-2014, 10:39 AM
Oh, Miami can certainly beat the Spurs. They are a ridiculously talented team that can match up well with the Spurs and force less advantageous matchups on the Spurs. i don't think anyone needs to be reminded of this.

Sure, the Heat CAN beat the Spurs, just like the Thunder CAN beat the Spurs...but, barring any significant injuries, neither of them WILL.

TacoCabanaFajitas
05-22-2014, 10:42 AM

The difference this year is Boris Diaw. I can remember back in November watching the team and when Boris started showing flashes of his aggression on offense my first thought was "If we had this Diaw in the Finals we win Game 6." Call me crazy, but an aggressive Boris Diaw, a more confident Tiago Splitter, a more experience Kawhi Leonard, upgrades in the form of Belinelli over Neal and an extra ballhandler in Mills make this team markedly better than it was last year. Our weakest rotation player at this point might be Belinelli, and he's got to find a hot streak soon right? Hell, even Manu is more spry this time, Parker has stayed about the same and Timmy doesn't look any worse than he did last year since the lift on his jumpshot returned.

Anyways, I believe an aggressive Diaw would've got #5 last year and think he will tip the matchups just enough to get it this year

testies
05-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Miami's defense is so overrated

silverblk mystix
05-22-2014, 12:05 PM

Unless Pop owns up and ties his nutz like a man and refuses to "go small" and appease Coach Spoelstra.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-22-2014, 12:12 PM
Thanks for parroting Kenny Smith's take.

ChumpDumper
05-22-2014, 12:20 PM
:cry

Horse
05-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Spurs still has the weakest ISO strength among elite teams.

The amazing passing game maximizes the strength of one-dimensional players like Green. But as smooth as it can be at its best (Spurs beat the Heat by 36 points in the finals last year as well), it is still very vulnerable to physical defense with length and athleticism. Bump and swipe, good defensive rotations, force the Spurs to go 1v1 on enough positions and you get a close game into the last 5 minutes where Spurs's lack of star power really shows.
Get the fuck outta here. miami will have the same problems okc is having. No one to guard Duncan no one to keep Parker out of the paint. We're better than last yr they are certainly worse.
Revenge on 2012/2013, championship into the sunset would be a story book ending for the GDP trio, but I still think it is too good to be true. This Spurs team feels like the Utah Jazz against Jordan's second three-peat to me. LeBron/Wade and good Miami defense will most likely prevail in the end, although I really pray for a Miracle.

Horse
05-22-2014, 12:25 PM
And lets not forget we were the better team last yr.

DocDoc
05-22-2014, 12:37 PM

This year's heat team is weaker than last year's and this year's Spur's team is better, with HCA. We have a good shot, which is all you can ask for.

ChumpDumper
05-22-2014, 01:05 PM
This year's heat team is weaker than last year's and this year's Spur's team is better, with HCA. We have a good shot, which is all you can ask for.I certainly agree the Spurs have a shot.

DPG21920
05-22-2014, 05:07 PM
INDY is getting plenty of good looks against MIA IMO. MIA is a great team with the best two way player in the game. However, there is no question the Spurs are better than last year and MIA is worse. Of course MIA can beat SA, but in reality a worse SA team should have beaten MIA last year and will beat them this year (if they indeed make it).

dg7md
05-23-2014, 12:33 AM
You win and lose games by the amount of points you score, too.

ezau
05-23-2014, 12:36 AM
Diaw will not allow Miami to play small ball. Diaw will simply post up whoever gimmick stretch 4 dude Miami will put and in this case, it's Battier. I do think POP has this series in the bag if the rematch happens. Heck, Spurs already won it last year if not for some crazy set of events. We will see, but I'm quite confident that the Spurs can bring it home this time.

therealtruth
05-23-2014, 05:39 AM
Unless Pop owns up and ties his nutz like a man and refuses to "go small" and appease Coach Spoelstra.

Pretty much. Series was in the bag till Spoelstra decided to go small. A game 3 blow out. That decision changed the complexion of the series and reduced the Spurs advantage.

05-23-2014, 07:25 AM
... Except we are not chokers like Malone...

6 begs to differ.

05-23-2014, 07:37 AM
Miami's defense is so overrated

hitmantb
05-25-2014, 09:48 PM
Bumping this, physical game against teams with length/athleticism for faster defense rotations really kill the Spurs.

When the other team has Durant/Westbrook attacking the basket they are simply more effective than say, Parker/Ginobili and will create more fouls (tonight was obviously home cooking but it doesn't need to be this stacked for Spurs to lose by say high single digits). Spurs's lack of ISO power is a huge issue. This game was exactly how Thunder beat Spurs 4 games in a row in 2012.

All of Duncan's points come from easy passes, without a reliable medium range open jumper from him it is a big issue. Thunder is also closing out on Green like Miami did in 6 and 7. If they continue to play with this much energy and effort and Ibaka performs, Spurs can not beat them.

td4mvp2k
05-25-2014, 10:41 PM
Your just saying what Barkley said (OP). But what team remaining has that. NONE. Heat just have Lebron. Duncan owned RuPaul last year. Hibbert and West are physical but not athletic. OKC, well, we are seeing that Ibaka only fit that mold for OKC and one player is not going to make that much of a difference. Spurs are the best TEAM in the NBA right now. Playing flawless basketball is how you beat the best team in the NBA.:tu

Capt Bringdown
05-25-2014, 10:46 PM
Miami was the better team last year. They seized the moment and turned disaster into triumph - that's what champions do.
The Spurs shriveled and choked - that's what lessor teams do.

therealtruth
05-25-2014, 11:43 PM
Miami was the better team last year. They seized the moment and turned disaster into triumph - that's what champions do.
The Spurs shriveled and choked - that's what lessor teams do.

Being a champion is as much about mental toughness as anything else.