PDA

View Full Version : Spurs sculpture ??

rr2418
08-11-2005, 05:57 PM
If the Spurs win the title next year, don't they deserve to have a sculpture of them made? How about replacing that awful red/orange sculpture we have downtown? What's it called, "Friendship", or something like that, lol!! Anyway, what do you guys think??

DannyT
08-12-2005, 02:13 AM
i agree man
everytime i see that thing im like wtf
i leave for a few years to go to train and deploy to iraq and come back to san an and theres this big ass piece of ....? which looks like someone stole from the library and placed right in the middle of the road.
Maybe a 5 0 statue would be tight
but who knows

gospursgojas
08-12-2005, 02:20 AM
I think its called the Friendship Flame :lol I think a statue of Dave would be cool... sort of like how United has a statue of J

ginobme
08-12-2005, 06:34 AM
No $hit that orange thing is awful. But maybe that was the artists intent???

sa_butta
08-12-2005, 09:44 AM
http://www.hispanicprwire.com/release_TOF_ENG.htm

Torch of Friendship

Yeah I think it was a gift from Mexico. Thanks alot.
Anyways a Statue of D. Rob in front of the SBC would kick ass or even downtown near the Dome.

Notorious H.O.P.
08-12-2005, 10:29 AM
For a city as starved for public art as we are, the Torch of Friendship is a decent addition. The issue with it is that in San Antonio's old school design and buildings, a modern industrial work like that stands out like a sore thumb.

I could rant on about our lack of public art and how much the city budgets for it but that is best left for an argument specifically about the subject.

I can see the addition of a Robinson statue in front of the SBC but if it were to ever happen, I think it would be years after Duncan retires and we might see a Duncan-Robinson combo, specifically the front page image of them holding up the MVP and Finals trophies with their arms around each other.

Other than that, I don't see it happening downtown. And especially not a Spurs themed sculpture. The Spurs will hopefully continue to have glorious years in SA ahead of them and there is no reason to stop next year and dedicate a statue for them.

Now if you take a beloved figure like Robinson, who has retired and is a shining example of San Antonio's citizendry, then you begin to enter the realm of possibility. But the earliest it might be is after David enters the Hall Of Fame. Even then, I still think the Duncan-Robinson combo would be more likely to happen.

j-6
08-12-2005, 08:31 PM
http://www.supplychainmanagers.com/images/Duncan%20Robinson.jpg

I can see the addition of a Robinson statue in front of the SBC but if it were to ever happen, I think it would be years after Duncan retires and we might see a Duncan-Robinson combo, specifically the front page image of them holding up the MVP and Finals trophies with their arms around each other.

Any excuse to post this picture is a good one. :)

T Park
08-12-2005, 08:49 PM
that hunk of metal in downtown is absolutely pathetic.

Keep the art shit in New York.