PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: If the Spurs Win it All

m>s
05-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Do Duncan and Ginobili retire, or stick around another year to defend it? Honestly I can't see any reason why they couldn't potentially get another one next year. Duncan is still a top 5 big man in the playoffs. Parker is still at the top of his game. Solid roll players. As a mav fan I've always rooted against them over the years but as an entire era of guys I grew up watching wind down their careers, I feel kind of sad to see it end. I'll be rooting for those guys for the rest of these playoffs. Saw this the other day and I thought it summed that team up well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6NbJMq-QfU

midnightpulp
05-22-2014, 12:28 PM
I think they do.

When Duncan got off to his horrible season start, I figured he was done, mentally killed by the Finals letdown. But he's looked great since December and can probably play at high level until 40, especially with the league's lack of bigs. Manu seems driven and I think has another run in him.

I any case, I hope they return to defend it. Fuck "going out on top."

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 12:31 PM
they'll play out their contracts at the very least. i would love manu to stay on the bench for a long time, either as a player or assistant coach

ElNono
05-22-2014, 12:31 PM
I personally would like to see them go out on top, like DRob. They really have nothing else to prove.

But at the same time, they're earned to do whatever they feel like doing. And in this Spurs team/system they can still be valuable, even if they lost a step or two.

DPG21920
05-22-2014, 12:35 PM
I'm selfish. They are here for my entertainment essentially and I want to see them play as long as I can tbh..I don't want to see them in pain or struggling, but if they can even be a playoff team (not even a WCF team) that is good enough for me IMO.

PingPong
05-22-2014, 12:47 PM
They will try the 6 (wuuupsss...)

BlackSwordsMan
05-22-2014, 01:46 PM
IF lololol fuck outta here

ElNono
05-22-2014, 01:47 PM
I'm selfish. They are here for my entertainment essentially and I want to see them play as long as I can tbh..I don't want to see them in pain or struggling, but if they can even be a playoff team (not even a WCF team) that is good enough for me IMO.

I know what you mean, the "farewell tour" and all... I just think at some point they could get some freak injury, and disappear into obscurity and irrelevancy... that would be pretty shameful way to go, imo...

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 01:48 PM
I know what you mean, the "farewell tour" and all... I just think at some point they could get some freak injury, and disappear into obscurity and irrelevancy... that would be pretty shameful way to go, imo...
i didn't get a chance to go to a game this year. i'd be pissed as hell if they called it quits in a few weeks

DPG21920
05-22-2014, 01:50 PM

Swords - welcome.

ImDaNuts
05-22-2014, 01:50 PM
2 more seasons left in them.

AchillesHeel
05-22-2014, 02:11 PM
I'd love for them to go out on top, but I'd rather if they tried to accomplish something they have yet to do - go to 3 straight Finals and defend a championship.

Duncan - 6
TOSB Kirby 5

would be legendary

m>s
05-22-2014, 02:19 PM

would you rather i jinxed them?

tbh i heard from chump that your "black sword" is 2.5 hard

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 02:25 PM
i doubt the spurs get back to the finals next year, unless they do something unexpected in the offseason

Nathan89
05-22-2014, 02:27 PM
Tim seems to want to play as long as he can help the team so I think he would comeback.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
05-22-2014, 02:31 PM
i doubt the spurs get back to the finals next year, unless they do something unexpected in the offseason

why

HI-FI
05-22-2014, 02:41 PM
good post from OP.

If Spurs can win it all this year, I could live with them calling it quits. It would be bittersweet, but capping this era with a championship would be beautiful. Especially since most of the big 3 era was underappreciated by the league thanks to Stern. When Silver took over, he said he wished the Spurs were more appreciated for what they've accomplished, which I took as a shot at Stern's inability to market anything beyond monkeyball.

Regardless of what happens, I hope they play as long as they feel they belong. I was fortunate to see them in person this year, but I'd like to go to see the big 3 a few more times.

I think Duncan sticks around for at least one more year, to finish his contract. Manu has 3 kids and his agent's 2 kids to put through college, so I could see him playing for 2 more seasons.

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 02:43 PM
why
-Duncan's play has declined compared to the last 2 seasons, and his defensive limitations are becoming more and more apparent. Granted, Splitter has stepped up big time in that department, but its still a concern, and realistically speaking will only get worse.

-Manu still has flashes, but they were fewer and farther between than recent memory. His outside shot isn't reliable at all, and I'm not sure I expect that to improve.

-Parker is already post-peak. In the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 seasons, he was MVParker. He has picked up in the playoffs though, so maybe he really was coasting. Still, he will be 32 going on 33, I'm expecting another small drop-off realistically speaking

-If we manage to not fuck up the OKC series, that will be 2 consecutive years of getting all the way to the finals (on top of where we already are, 3 straight years of getting to the conference finals). It's just a ton of miles. The Heat imo have shown signs of fatigue from their long trips, and that will likely catch up with the Spurs

-If we win a ring this year, the hunger that drove them this year probably won't be quite as strong. If we screw it up again, it would be a massive blow. Two straight years of great play, consistent effort, and turning back the clock for extended runs only to fall short will certainly be a psychological blow. Even as a fan, there will be a sense of exhaustion and borderline hopelessness, let alone for the players who actually go through the grueling seasons.

It's not like I'd be rooting against them, they'd still be one of the best teams out west, I just think the toll will be too much at that point.

Like I said, the offseason will be critical. The cap is expected to be at about 63 million next season, and at the start of the offseason, we'd have a cap figure of 53, with Diaw/Mills being free agents, as well as Baynes (restricted). I love the group of guys we have, but I think we might need another boost to get us there again. Maybe Bertans comes over and has an instant impact, who knows.

ElNono
05-22-2014, 02:47 PM
I think Duncan sticks around for at least one more year, to finish his contract. Manu has 3 kids and his agent's 2 kids to put through college, so I could see him playing for 2 more seasons.

Plus Manu could be talked into giving a discount... somewhere in the 3/$15m range would probably work (wink, wink RC)...

HI-FI
05-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Plus Manu could be talked into giving a discount... somewhere in the 3/$15m range would probably work (wink, wink RC)...
:lol

now I see why you hate Bonner, he's cutting into that pie. Chinook's crew will be tough at the next negotiations. I can't wait to see your guys arguments over spreadsheets, least it will be cheaper than Ambien imo.

BlackSwordsMan
05-22-2014, 04:34 PM
Swords - welcome.
sup dawg

would you rather i jinxed them?

tbh i heard from chump that your "black sword" is 2.5 hard

tbh its the motion of the wii control and not the size of the nunchuck

Ricky Davis
05-22-2014, 05:11 PM
Yeah I hope the Spurs stick around as long as they're capable of being a championship team.

I just like seeing all time greats adding to their legacies. So I always root for the guy who's already won multiple championships to keep winning. It just makes a better storyline to compare a handful of greats later down the line instead of seeing a bunch of one hit wonders. I'm not one of those :cry I'm glad he finally got his ring :cry types, I just like to see the rich get richer. The Pistons in 04, Celtics in 08, Mavs in 11 for non-Mav fans.

That being said, either the Spurs or the Heat I'd prefer winning. Either Tim getting his fifth, or Lebron three peating. Don't want to see a team like Indiana be a one hit wonder then disappear

DPG21920
05-22-2014, 05:47 PM
I can't really speak to fans outside of SA, but trying to be as unbiased as possible, that MIA/SA final was one of the best finals in a long time. I would love to see that rematch.

Leetonidas
05-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Tim and Manu seem like the type that will want a chance to defend their title imo

elmanutres
05-22-2014, 05:59 PM
manu better not fucking play in the summer if they do win it.

SnakeBoy
05-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Tim and Manu will play two more years. Then Pop, Tim, Tony, and Manu will ride off into the sunset together...and the dark days will descend upon us.

ohmwrecker
05-22-2014, 06:08 PM
So, Tony won't play anymore when Tim, Pop and Manu retire?

FkLA
05-22-2014, 06:55 PM
-Duncan's play has declined compared to the last 2 seasons, and his defensive limitations are becoming more and more apparent. Granted, Splitter has stepped up big time in that department, but its still a concern, and realistically speaking will only get worse.

-Manu still has flashes, but they were fewer and farther between than recent memory. His outside shot isn't reliable at all, and I'm not sure I expect that to improve.

-Parker is already post-peak. In the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 seasons, he was MVParker. He has picked up in the playoffs though, so maybe he really was coasting. Still, he will be 32 going on 33, I'm expecting another small drop-off realistically speaking

-If we manage to not fuck up the OKC series, that will be 2 consecutive years of getting all the way to the finals (on top of where we already are, 3 straight years of getting to the conference finals). It's just a ton of miles. The Heat imo have shown signs of fatigue from their long trips, and that will likely catch up with the Spurs

-If we win a ring this year, the hunger that drove them this year probably won't be quite as strong. If we screw it up again, it would be a massive blow. Two straight years of great play, consistent effort, and turning back the clock for extended runs only to fall short will certainly be a psychological blow. Even as a fan, there will be a sense of exhaustion and borderline hopelessness, let alone for the players who actually go through the grueling seasons.

It's not like I'd be rooting against them, they'd still be one of the best teams out west, I just think the toll will be too much at that point.

Like I said, the offseason will be critical. The cap is expected to be at about 63 million next season, and at the start of the offseason, we'd have a cap figure of 53, with Diaw/Mills being free agents, as well as Baynes (restricted). I love the group of guys we have, but I think we might need another boost to get us there again. Maybe Bertans comes over and has an instant impact, who knows.

:lol There is no reason why they wouldnt have a very good chance to win it all next year. Age was supposed to catch up with the Spurs for the past five years tbh.

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 06:58 PM
:lol There is no reason why they wouldnt have a very good chance to win it all next year. Age was supposed to catch up with the Spurs for the past five years tbh.
True, but Duncan lost weight and turned back the clock a bit. It's not like he can lose 20 pounds again and buy two more years :lol. Even with his new form he looks slow again. Manu is visibly slower. If Kawhi makes a big leap and we make some strong acquisitions, maybe they have another run. Perhaps pau

Roger Freemason Jr.
05-22-2014, 07:09 PM
It would be strange for Parker to keep playing without Duncan and Gino, but I have to think he stays and helps Kawhi usher in the new age. He's still very spry, and can play until 37.

poop
05-22-2014, 07:23 PM
Do Duncan and Ginobili retire, or stick around another year to defend it? Honestly I can't see any reason why they couldn't potentially get another one next year. Duncan is still a top 5 big man in the playoffs. Parker is still at the top of his game. Solid roll players. As a mav fan I've always rooted against them over the years but as an entire era of guys I grew up watching wind down their careers, I feel kind of sad to see it end. I'll be rooting for those guys for the rest of these playoffs. Saw this the other day and I thought it summed that team up well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6NbJMq-QfU

Nice sig

Venti Quattro
05-22-2014, 07:33 PM
Spurs are basically playing 'til the wheels fall off; Manu and Tim are on borrowed time. Might as well maximize it while they can still function as basketball players. I don't think they start taking the pedal off just because they win the title this year. Why stop when they can go for a b2b next year? The NBA landscape will not change next year because of the new CBA and because other teams are too stupid.

m>s
05-22-2014, 09:12 PM
Spurs are basically playing 'til the wheels fall off; Manu and Tim are on borrowed time. Might as well maximize it while they can still function as basketball players. I don't think they start taking the pedal off just because they win the title this year. Why stop when they can go for a b2b next year? The NBA landscape will not change next year because of the new CBA and because other teams are too stupid.

pretty much this, i don't see any reason why they couldn't contend again at least one more year. the teams being this evened out around the league with no real powerhouse to watch out for plays to their advantage. it's pretty much anyone's to win..miami looks beatable this year for the first time since the big 3.

m>s
05-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Nice sig

thanks comrade, as soon as i set it as that one i found this and can't decide if i want to change it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9lfDGBILMc&list=FL0Wv8Z97uf7BX-D6FiGztCQ

Splits
05-22-2014, 09:36 PM

Solid take. Exactly how I see it.

Splits
05-22-2014, 09:40 PM
True, but Duncan lost weight and turned back the clock a bit. It's not like he can lose 20 pounds again and buy two more years :lol. Even with his new form he looks slow again. Manu is visibly slower. If Kawhi makes a big leap and we make some strong acquisitions, maybe they have another run. Perhaps pau

This is the "half-empty" viewpoint. The "half-full" side says that Tim is managing the transition of the franchise like he has managed his career. Through each postseason he becomes less and less the focal point while grooming the rising stars to carry on his tradition of control and dominance. He's a mentor who sees the trajectory of what he has built, and wants it to survive beyond his time on the court. Kawhi and Splitter are absorbing his knowledge, and will keep the Spurs competitive beyond his playing years.

To be honest, while TD has been an integral part this postseason he is not what I would consider "irreplaceable". He's grooming his replacements.

spurs10
05-23-2014, 12:42 AM
" 'Til the wheels fall off."
Let's get this one first!! :ihit

Franklin
05-23-2014, 12:50 AM
pretty much this, i don't see any reason why they couldn't contend again at least one more year. the teams being this evened out around the league with no real powerhouse to watch out for plays to their advantage. it's pretty much anyone's to win..miami looks beatable this year for the first time since the big 3.
1st time since the big 3? How about 2011 then? If we had done our job better last year (if we hadn't choked that bad) the Super Friends would've been another one-and-done deal just like your Dirk and Mavs. The cHeat never looked that formidable imho, and I bet after getting defeated this year they'll fall apart even faster than the Celtics did.

TDMVPDPOY
05-23-2014, 01:00 AM
defending a ring doesnt really matter to them atm

just milking the system and enjoying it before they hang it all up for life of a rich commoner...

remember spurs been playin with house money since RJ/bonner was on this team