PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Amin Elhassan on Leonard's future contract

BillMc
05-22-2014, 03:04 PM
In his present (5/22) chat (http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50639) on ESPN Amin Elhassan said:

Kawhi seems destined for a lucrative extension: PG got $15M/yr , DeRozan got $9.5M/yr....Kawhi probably closer to PG

For some reason I was expecting Kawhi to be about 10 mil per year. Looks like this may be low, and if Elhassan's projection is right it could be, what? 12m/yr or 13m/yr?

5 year 60 million? Too high or too low?

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50639

Dex
05-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Kawhi gonna be makin' Parker money tbh.

look_at_g_shred
05-22-2014, 03:08 PM

will_spurs
05-22-2014, 03:09 PM

Parker money was $9 million. I'll be surprised if Kawhi signs an extension for anything less than $12 million, but hopefully he does, like others before him. That would definitely help the Spurs in the rebuilding effort.

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 03:10 PM
Kawhi's contract will come as the big 3's contracts all expire. Good chance that one or both of Duncan/Manu retire at that point. Might as well pay Kawhi

rmt
05-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Don't see how he could ask for more than what Parker's making. Hope Duncan and Manu take major paycuts so they can re-sign Leonard and Mills.

Dex
05-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Parker money was $9 million. I'll be surprised if Kawhi signs an extension for anything less than $12 million, but hopefully he does, like others before him. That would definitely help the Spurs in the rebuilding effort.

Parker money was $9 million back when Tim and Manu were both still reeling in bigger checks. I'm talking about current salary. He is currently making $12.5M, and that's right about what I think where Leonard will land.

The expectation is that Leonard will be the 2nd most important player on the team next season. He'll get paid accordingly, and rightfully so.

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 03:14 PM
He could ask for whatever the market offers tbh. We still have to wait and see if he makes yet another leap in year 4

Old School 44
05-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Kawhi's a keeper. I can see 12m/year easy. I like how the Spurs trial run guys through their first contracts. I even think they kind of hold their development (moreso their stats) down a little just so they can get a more favorable contract. But with the very successful regular seasons, and long playoff runs the last three years, there's no hiding Kawhi. I think they did it with Parker and Ginobili, they also did it with Hill, I even think they did it with Splitter. Once they determined Hill wasn't a long term guy, they traded for a draft choice Kawhi (and his cheap rookie contract) to restart the process.

Seventyniner
05-22-2014, 03:56 PM
One thing I'm nearly certain about is that if the Spurs can't work out an extension, they'll do with Leonard what they did with Splitter: let him test the market as a RFA and match any (mostly reasonable) offer.

Then again, losing Leonard would be a much greater disaster than losing Splitter for long-term purposes.

Dex
05-22-2014, 03:59 PM
One thing I'm nearly certain about is that if the Spurs can't work out an extension, they'll do with Leonard what they did with Splitter: let him test the market as a RFA and match any (mostly reasonable) offer.

Then again, losing Leonard would be a much greater disaster than losing Splitter for long-term purposes.

Spurs won't let Leonard go. The only way he leaves is if he flat out walks.

Spur|n|Austin
05-22-2014, 04:01 PM
Dude's going to flat out get paid. I don't see the Spurs holding back, of course they'll go with what the market is asking though.

Chinook
05-22-2014, 04:08 PM
$60M/5 is a fine deal for both sides. I don't see how Leonard doesn't get extended unless he wants the max and the Spurs balk. Then again, there was talk earlier in the season that the Spurs could to a little cap-manipulation by waiting to give Leonard a new deal until July 2015. That would allow the Spurs to use Leonard's cap hold (only about $5 Million) on their cap instead of whatever Kawhi ends up making in his first season. In such a scenario, the Spurs would have enough money to sign any max player AND an MLE-like deal. If SA is content to give Kawhi a max extension, there is literally no downside to that move, other than pissing Leonard off potentially.

DMC
05-22-2014, 04:35 PM
In his present (5/22) chat (http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50639) on ESPN Amin Elhassan said:

Kawhi seems destined for a lucrative extension: PG got $15M/yr , DeRozan got $9.5M/yr....Kawhi probably closer to PG

For some reason I was expecting Kawhi to be about 10 mil per year. Looks like this may be low, and if Elhassan's projection is right it could be, what? 12m/yr or 13m/yr?

5 year 60 million? Too high or too low?

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50639

Same guy who predicted the Thunder even after Ibaka went down.

DMC
05-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Dude's going to flat out get paid. I don't see the Spurs holding back, of course they'll go with what the market is asking though.

So finally he can get his hair redone?

Texas_Ranger
05-22-2014, 04:39 PM
he''ll probably take a paycut. something like 8-10 MIL.

PÒÓCH
05-22-2014, 04:44 PM
He should make at least $12.50 an hour.

Mugen
05-22-2014, 04:53 PM
I think he'll get something in the 11-13mil range which is fine. PG got his contract after emerging as the No. 1 option so I'm not sure if Kawhi will get the max extension.

Seventyniner
05-22-2014, 04:56 PM
$60M/5 is a fine deal for both sides. I don't see how Leonard doesn't get extended unless he wants the max and the Spurs balk. Then again, there was talk earlier in the season that the Spurs could to a little cap-manipulation by waiting to give Leonard a new deal until July 2015. That would allow the Spurs to use Leonard's cap hold (only about $5 Million) on their cap instead of whatever Kawhi ends up making in his first season. In such a scenario, the Spurs would have enough money to sign any max player AND an MLE-like deal. If SA is content to give Kawhi a max extension, there is literally no downside to that move, other than pissing Leonard off potentially.

You can't tamper with your own player, right? If the Spurs are willing to max Kawhi out they could just tell him so and promise to extend the offer in 2015. Sure the Spurs could technically renege, but it would cost them an untold amount of reputation.

The thorny issue is if the Spurs and Kawhi agree to wait until 2015 and Kawhi gets some sort of career-altering injury or illness. Since the new contract wouldn't have been signed by then, no insurer would touch it and even if the Spurs made good on their offer, it would clog up the cap sheet.

wildchild
05-22-2014, 04:58 PM

It sounds great. Parker, Leonard, and a max player...I like it!
But I think the big deal in that move isn't only if he wants the max, maybe it's about who will be the max player?
Because if they promise him a prominent role in the team -like the second offensive option behind Tony- into wainting to sign or to accept less money and then they sign a 25ppg guy, that could be the real problem.

xmas1997
05-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Pop already said Sugar K is the future of the franchise.

Jenks
05-22-2014, 05:03 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/matchup/_/teams/spurs-lakers

Legendary pick, elhassan.

Blake
05-22-2014, 05:03 PM
Splitter is $10 mill, right?

I think $13 for Leonard seems fair

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 05:04 PM
I could be (and probably am) wrong, but isn't the cap hold equal to the max he is eligible to receive?

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 05:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/matchup/_/teams/spurs-lakers

Legendary pick, elhassan.
goddam :rollin

heyheymymy
05-22-2014, 05:15 PM
Kawhi's a keeper. I can see 12m/year easy. I like how the Spurs trial run guys through their first contracts. I even think they kind of hold their development (moreso their stats) down a little just so they can get a more favorable contract. But with the very successful regular seasons, and long playoff runs the last three years, there's no hiding Kawhi. I think they did it with Parker and Ginobili, they also did it with Hill, I even think they did it with Splitter. Once they determined Hill wasn't a long term guy, they traded for a draft choice Kawhi (and his cheap rookie contract) to restart the process.

Spot on and i've had the same suspicions, esp with splitters limited mins early on. his contract looks like a bargain now, with how he has played this playoffs, if he had the mins to produce like that sooner, spurs might've been out bid this summer.

4down
05-22-2014, 05:20 PM
He should make at least $12.50 an hour.

Don't know if HEB would be willing to go there

vander
05-22-2014, 05:30 PM
I hope they sign him to one of those declining salary deals, with all that cap space the Spurs will have, rather than throw it desperately at the FA market, frontload Kawhi and whoever else they get and keep cap flexibility for the future.

if he continues to improve, I wouldn't mind something like 15/13/12/11/10

Chinook
05-22-2014, 05:30 PM
You can't tamper with your own player, right? If the Spurs are willing to max Kawhi out they could just tell him so and promise to extend the offer in 2015. Sure the Spurs could technically renege, but it would cost them an untold amount of reputation.

The thorny issue is if the Spurs and Kawhi agree to wait until 2015 and Kawhi gets some sort of career-altering injury or illness. Since the new contract wouldn't have been signed by then, no insurer would touch it and even if the Spurs made good on their offer, it would clog up the cap sheet.

I think they'd give Leonard an option of signing a below-max extension in July (like the $60M/5). Or play his contract out and address the issue in 2015. So they'd either get Kawhi at a great price or get more cap space in 2015. That way, Leonard would be the one calling the shots. Both sides would be taking a risk, and both would be getting something in return.

It sounds great. Parker, Leonard, and a max player...I like it!
But I think the big deal in that move isn't only if he wants the max, maybe it's about who will be the max player?
Because if they promise him a prominent role in the team -like the second offensive option behind Tony- into wainting to sign or to accept less money and then they sign a 25ppg guy, that could be the real problem.

Not a concern, as Leonard would not be losing any money. In fact, he'd be making the max. The reason why it could piss off Leonard is that he'd play next year without the security of having his extension. It would only be a long-term problem if he regressed or got hurt.

I could be (and probably am) wrong, but isn't the cap hold equal to the max he is eligible to receive?

Nah. It's equal to 250 percent of his previous salary. http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q38

For Kawhi, I guess it would closer to $7 Million.

xmas1997
05-22-2014, 05:37 PM
I think the key will be whether or not the Spurs win it all this year.
If they do, then it will form a powerful bond for him staying here and taking less.

sexinthatsx
05-22-2014, 05:49 PM
Bruno, come figure this out please

elemento
05-22-2014, 05:57 PM
He will be extented for 12m/year. Batum type of contract.

adonis827
05-22-2014, 06:01 PM
He will be extented for 12m/year. Batum type of contract.

I was waiting for that name to be mentioned. Kawhi is better than Batum as he showed in the last series.

But I do hope Kawhi gets some paycut and not get all the max money. It would help his team get better players.

Malik Hairston
05-22-2014, 06:07 PM
Leonard is a much better player than Batum, Gordan Hayward and so many other swingmen that have gotten paid/will get paid substantial money over the next few years, tbh..

He's going to get paid big money, and you can't really blame him to ask for all that he can get, considering all the inferior players that have been cashing in the past few seasons and upcoming seasons..

wildchild
05-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Not a concern, as Leonard would not be losing any money. In fact, he'd be making the max. The reason why it could piss off Leonard is that he'd play next year without the security of having his extension. It would only be a long-term problem if he regressed or got hurt.

Thanks. I'm just saying regardless of the money, if they work to convince him -with the big role's promise- to wait and then sign a guy would have a better role than Leonard -even if he makes the max- he could feel uncomfortable.

jARS mEsH sEt
05-22-2014, 06:12 PM
Bruno (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=2449), come figure this out please

Theres literally nothing to "figure out."

jARS mEsH sEt
05-22-2014, 06:14 PM
:lmao @ crying for Bruno's help. There is nothing to fucking figure out. This is just speculation on what Leonard might be worth.

sexinthatsx
05-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Bruno's very knowledgeable when it comes to cap space and salary, so he can determine exactly how much the Spurs can spend on a particular given year. This can help determine how much Spurs will be able to and afford paying Kawhi, plus retaining other players as well.

Mel_13
05-22-2014, 06:33 PM
Bruno's very knowledgeable when it comes to cap space and salary, so he can determine exactly how much the Spurs can spend on a particular given year. This can help determine how much Spurs will be able to and afford paying Kawhi, plus retaining other players as well.

This really isn't a complex cap question. Kawhi figures to be able to command all or most of the max if he reaches free agency. The Spurs have the payroll flexibility to offer him an extension this summer that will keep him off the market in 2015. The max extension that they can offer is around 5yrs/78M. It seems entirely likely that he will get at least 5/60. My guess, before the playoffs, was 5/64. A bit more wouldn't be much of a surprise.

wildchild
05-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Off topic. I miss Bruno

I don't know nothing about this forum, the admin, mods,...I read about the team and don't look other forums of the site, so I don't know what happened with the guy.

Just hope he's ok and his life/job/whatever is too busy to stay here.

TheGreatYacht
05-22-2014, 07:59 PM
Joe Johnson got a 22M/yr contract... Some shitty team like the Jazz will probably offer Kawhi a Rudy Gay contract, knowing our PATFO, they won't match... Spurs will be stuck with Livio Jean-Charles, Tiago Splitter's 8M, Tony Parker, Bonner will get a huge extension, and some scrub like Dante Cunningham? It's the sad truth.

Chinook
05-22-2014, 08:04 PM
Joe Johnson got a 22M/yr contract... Some shitty team like the Jazz will probably offer Kawhi a Rudy Gay contract, knowing our PATFO, they won't match... Spurs will be stuck with Livio Jean-Charles, Tiago Splitter's 8M, Tony Parker, Bonner will get a huge extension, and some scrub like Dante Cunningham? It's the sad truth.

Kawhi isn't even eligible for a Gay-like deal. The most he could get from another team is like $62M/4.

#2!
05-22-2014, 08:41 PM
he''ll probably take a paycut. something like 8-10 MIL.

Why in the world would a young up-and-coming player take a paycut? Tim took a paycut to keep winning because he had already been one of the highest paid players in the league for a chunk of his career. Kawhi has yet to pull in his big money (in NBA terms). If you're the Spurs you pay the man, and tell everyone to buy his jersey for good measure.

DesignatedT
05-22-2014, 08:43 PM
:lol idiot

sexinthatsx
05-22-2014, 09:20 PM
The thing about Kawhi is, the Spurs know how valuable he is to the team. When other teams see Kawhi, all they look at is superficial stat lines. Joe Johnson can put up 35 points a given game, so teams are willing to pay 22 mil a year for JJ. Kawhi on the other hand only puts up like what 13 points and 6-7 rebounds. A lot of teams are deterred from paying Kawhi that much solely on the basis of his stats. Also, take into account that Kawhi has spent his rookie years with the Spurs. Teams are simply paying him on potential rather than proven superstar or all-star money.

Keep in mind Rudy Gay was averaging around 21 points and 5-6 rebounds, 1 block, and 1 steal and was an all-star when he got PAID.

DMC
05-22-2014, 09:31 PM
Pop already said Sugar K is the future of the franchise.
Funny because the TNT crew was talking about that and said "after Tim retires" and I'm thinking "so Tony gets his walking papers?"

DMC
05-22-2014, 09:34 PM
Why in the world would a young up-and-coming player take a paycut? Tim took a paycut to keep winning because he had already been one of the highest paid players in the league for a chunk of his career. Kawhi has yet to pull in his big money (in NBA terms). If you're the Spurs you pay the man, and tell everyone to buy his jersey for good measure.

True, there's no reason for a person like Kawhi to sacrifice 25% of his pay so Peter Holt and company can continue to get bigger paychecks. They aren't playing for St Jude's, so it's a business and business is about being in demand and capitalizing while your stock is high.

Ron Swanson
05-22-2014, 09:39 PM
Maybe he'll give a discount if he can get a lucrative Mootopia endorsement.

dg7md
05-22-2014, 11:12 PM
He deserves a nice contract, and I think he'll stay and take a paycut to stay here instead of wasting his talents in Milwaukee or something making a lot more money. He fits the perfect Spur player archetype and I feel like he'll stay here his whole career.

Chinook
05-22-2014, 11:22 PM
Leonard is NOT taking a paycut. He doesn't even need to. The APY on a max for him isn't even that high. He'd just be giving money away for no reason.

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 11:28 PM
he's up for an extension after the big 3 have their contracts off the books. they can, should, and will pay him what he rightly deserves

SpurPadre
05-22-2014, 11:37 PM
Same guy who predicted the Thunder even after Ibaka went down.

He also picked the Lakers to beat us in 6 last year WITHOUT Kobe, lol.

Chinook
05-22-2014, 11:38 PM
he's up for an extension after the big 3 have their contracts off the books. they can, should, and will pay him what he rightly deserves

And that's going to be like at worst $15.5M APY. With the way the cap's increasing, that's nothing. As I said, I simply don't see anyway Kawhi doesn't get an extension this off-season. It would be one thing if the media talked up Leonard while Pop downplayed him. But Pop loves him and has all but said the Spurs would be willing to pay the max to keep him. (And looking at how many max second deals got handed out recently, I can't say they're too crazy.) It's gonna get done, and the Spurs will have a chance to put together a good team in 2015 with him as a key part.

SpurPadre
05-22-2014, 11:42 PM
And that's going to be like at worst $15.5M APY. With the way the cap's increasing, that's nothing. As I said, I simply don't see anyway Kawhi doesn't get an extension this off-season. It would be one thing if the media talked up Leonard while Pop downplayed him. But Pop loves him and has all but said the Spurs would be willing to pay the max to keep him. (And looking at how many max second deals got handed out recently, I can't say they're too crazy.) It's gonna get done, and the Spurs will have a chance to put together a good team in 2015 with him as a key part.

Bonner's coming off the books this offseason, right?

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 11:46 PM
Bonner's coming off the books this offseason, right?
yep, all 3.95 mil

Chinook
05-22-2014, 11:49 PM
Bonner's contract still pisses me off. He could have become a great piece if traded right. I like Bonner a lot, though, so it's not as bad as the Spurs burning Jack's contract last season.

SpurPadre
05-22-2014, 11:50 PM
yep, all 3.95 mil

Excellent but then again, that doesn't mean he won't come back in some kind of capacity.

hsxvvd
05-23-2014, 12:08 AM
Shut down Durant and Lebron for 6 more wins and I don't give a fuck what they pay him.

HI-FI
05-23-2014, 12:22 AM
Shut down Durant and Lebron for 6 more wins and I don't give a fuck what they pay him.
this. If Kawhi helps the Spurs get no. 5, they can unload Fort Knox on him, I don't care.

99 Problems
05-23-2014, 01:35 AM
Kawhi is that good that there's a lot of good players I consider now to be poor mans Kawhi Leonards.

Prose
05-23-2014, 02:15 AM
Don't see how he could ask for more than what Parker's making. Hope Duncan and Manu take major paycuts so they can re-sign Leonard and Mills.
Duncan HAS been taking pay cuts. Manu is too. I know most people don't think so but Manu could probably get payed double to go play for ....Real Madrid for example. Asking them for anymore cuts dosent seem fair. They have families so why would they take more cuts ya know

Prose
05-23-2014, 02:26 AM
Remember how Danny green was MIA in ten 2012 playoffs! Thank god bc that's how we got him for so cheap

Prose
05-23-2014, 02:30 AM
True, there's no reason for a person like Kawhi to sacrifice 25% of his pay so Peter Holt and company can continue to get bigger paychecks. They aren't playing for St Jude's, so it's a business and business is about being in demand and capitalizing while your stock is high.

jesterbobman
05-23-2014, 03:09 AM

I've been beating this drum of explaining the Cap stuff to Kawhi and his agent, offering a below market deal to him and being willing to go max later. With limited timing for signing new free agents, it just makes a ton of sense. If he doesn't want to take the risk(understandable ) you get him at a cheap price, and the difference between a 4yr 40/44/48m deal and his cap hold isn't huge in his first year.

Main thing for 2015 summer to me is keeping Danny Green. While he won't get paid like Kawhi, the fact he's a RFA means he's more likely to leave, and DG is pretty important. If you have Tiago/Gap/Kawhi/DG/TP with a bench it should be easy to offer a good role to Love/Aldridge/Millsap etc and add some key reserves to complements whoever comes from the past few drafts.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-23-2014, 03:13 AM
Duncan HAS been taking pay cuts. Manu is too. I know most people don't think so but Manu could probably get payed double to go play for ....Real Madrid for example. Asking them for anymore cuts dosent seem fair. They have families so why would they take more cuts ya know
I don't remember a player who has willingly taken a pay cut for his first big contract ( post rookie deals ). Duncan wasn't that guy and neither was Manu.

spurspokesman
05-23-2014, 08:53 AM
4/48

littlecoyotecoin
05-23-2014, 09:51 AM
when duncan retires ... 2 more years? parker will be on the decline most prolly. kawhi should be on the way up/maxing out; so yeah it's conceivable in 3, 4 years sugar k could be #1 and TP #2

Parker will not probably be on decline in two years. Parker is already in decline. He won't be having any more 55 point games in the future. He can't stay healthy, and he is on the wrong side of 30. He, unlike Duncan, has derived much of his advantage from speed. He may be viable for another five or six years, but it will already be in a diminished capacity. We are burning his candle at both ends to squeeze what we can out of it for Duncan's final years. There has been a dearth of great point play before him in San Antonio. Avery was a nice guy, but not a great point guard, Claxton had a Speedy exit, and Strickland had no jump shot. Ford was a surprise, and a surprise loss. Mills I like but isn't a true point, and Joseph isn't the answer. Tony has been a godsend, but make no mistake, his injuries are a harbinger of a horde on the horizon. He is hard on his body. We will need a point very soon.

PublicOption
05-23-2014, 11:08 AM
.....yeah 4/48 sounds right.