PDA

View Full Version : Depth means nothing come playoff time

Juan
05-22-2014, 06:33 PM
Right? I mean look at OKC.

srly tho? How many times has this been uttered through here with absolute certainty.

EVAY
05-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Right? I mean look at OKC.

srly tho? How many times has this been uttered through here with absolute certainty.

Barkley was touting it loudly at the beginning of the Portland series.

barbacoataco
05-22-2014, 07:12 PM
The more pieces you have the better chance of finding the ones you need at any given moment. Bell was useless against the Mavs but effective against Portland.

DPG21920
05-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Well, just because the Spurs are doing something special, doesn't mean that in general people aren't correct about depth with regards to the playoffs. It's exceedingly rare you win how the Spurs are winning.

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 07:49 PM
depth isn't as important when building around a lebron or durant, as compared to a parker and 38 year old duncan

Venti Quattro
05-22-2014, 07:52 PM
Depth doesn't matter if depth doesn't have quality

Chinook
05-22-2014, 08:02 PM
I agree a lot of us underestimated the importance of the Spurs' depth in the playoffs, but this isn't the best series to demonstrate that. The Spurs' starters are dominating OKC's. Depth is helping the Spurs coast, but it's not making the difference like it did against Portland.

And don't talk about Ibaka getting hurt. No team game-plans for major injuries to key players.

RD2191
05-22-2014, 08:06 PM
Well, just because the Spurs are doing something special, doesn't mean that in general people aren't correct about depth with regards to the playoffs. It's exceedingly rare you win how the Spurs are winning.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-22-2014, 08:10 PM
The problem with so many other supposedly deep teams through the years is a lack of versatility. Doesn't matter how good your second unit is if they just offer more of the same as the starters. The Spurs don't have that issue.

dg7md
05-22-2014, 10:06 PM
We have depth that are skilled in very specific positions, that is crucial to winning how we do. It doesn't hurt that we have a top 10 all-time NBA player in Duncan and arguably the best PG in the game now, Parker, on the field at the same time.

I think some teams could mimic the success we do, because it is very clear that just going to two all-star players isn't the key to success. You need to have players around them to pick up the missed shots and show up on defense. What we do isn't anything unusual, it's just team-oriented playing and not the all-star game.

DMC
05-22-2014, 10:08 PM
Ibaka is out. Everything can be traced to that. Not depth, not rotations, not ball movement. The Thunder are the same Thunder that swept us in the RS, minus Ibaka.